Craig Shakespeare
Michael Appleton
Martin O'Neill
Roy Keane
Andre Villas Boas
Slavisa Jokanovic
Graham Potter
other

Author Topic: Next Manager Thread  (Read 310296 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: Next Manager Thread
« Reply #1050 on: November 24, 2017, 09:41:53 PM »
I am sure that the powers that be don't suddenly choose what players to go after just as the windows open.
The same thing should be in any businessman's head of what may happen when a person has to be replaced.

You can have a "wish list" as long as your arm, actually getting someone is a much longer process.

I'd say the most obvious immediate appointment, at the moment, is Alan Pardew.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1051 on: November 24, 2017, 09:48:48 PM »
Lowest points per game of any team in the country, losing 15 out of 21 premier league games, 0.9 points per game, failure to win a game after going a goal down, failed to win in 8 championship matches, winning 4 out of 17 premier league games add no fans at his previous clubs like him, they all hate him. I call that a failure
any manager we attract is going to have some failings, any manager with a perfect record isn’t going to consider us at all.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1052 on: November 24, 2017, 09:57:03 PM »
I am sure that the powers that be don't suddenly choose what players to go after just as the windows open.
The same thing should be in any businessman's head of what may happen when a person has to be replaced.

I agree but i'm pretty sure it's illegal to interview someone for a job when somebody is still in it and we have no idea if they want people in jobs /out of them (admittedly "free agents" are more likely) so i don't think it's unreasonable for it to took a couple of weeks.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1053 on: November 24, 2017, 09:58:15 PM »
And how do you know he doesn’t have the right tools? Pardew been sacked more times than all the managers you have listed. Big Ron would never have had a look in after all his previous experience was Kettering and Cambridge.

I equate tools with experience, like serving an apprenticeship. Potter hasn't managed at a level remotely like the Premier league.

Pardew has been sacked 3 times (West Ham, Southampton and Palace) the same as Mowbray but he also has been a manager a lot longer than all the managers I mentioned apart from Bruce who tends to walk away from jobs. Pardew has a top flight win rate higher than any of them and that's what's important to me ..that we try and win games and actually do win games.
Yes he goes on poor runs of form and doesn't seem to have a plan B but he historically has a good 18 months which is why if you read my posts I've suggested we either get him in until the end of the season and then either say goodbye or offer him a 1 year rolling contract (if he does well). We could then use the time to look for a better long term replacement.

Big Ron managed in a totally different era you can't compare the two. Alex Ferguson would have been sacked after his relatively poor start at Man Utd by todays standards.

Anyone know what has happened to Claudio Ranieri?

Yes he's doing okay with Nantes in Ligue 1

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1054 on: November 24, 2017, 10:17:03 PM »
I equate tools with experience, like serving an apprenticeship. Potter hasn't managed at a level remotely like the Premier league.

Pardew has been sacked 3 times (West Ham, Southampton and Palace) the same as Mowbray but he also has been a manager a lot longer than all the managers I mentioned apart from Bruce who tends to walk away from jobs. Pardew has a top flight win rate higher than any of them and that's what's important to me ..that we try and win games and actually do win games.
Yes he goes on poor runs of form and doesn't seem to have a plan B but he historically has a good 18 months which is why if you read my posts I've suggested we either get him in until the end of the season and then either say goodbye or offer him a 1 year rolling contract (if he does well). We could then use the time to look for a better long term replacement.

Big Ron managed in a totally different era you can't compare the two. Alex Ferguson would have been sacked after his relatively poor start at Man Utd by todays standards.

Yes he's doing okay with Nantes in Ligue 1

Nor did Silva but he seems like on everyone’s wish list. Pochettinos record at Espanyol was only mid table and lower, by your idea we would never had appointed any of them, also The europa league I would suggest is a level at a high standard.
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1055 on: November 24, 2017, 10:40:04 PM »
Nor did Silva but he seems like on everyone’s wish list. Pochettinos record at Espanyol was only mid table and lower, by your idea we would never had appointed any of them, also The europa league I would suggest is a level at a high standard.

La Liga is a comparable league to the Premier league though. Silva has already managed at Hull in the premier league so yes I would take him. He also managed at Sporting Lisbon and had Champions league experience with Olympiakos so again had managed at a comparable level to the premier league. Whichever way you want to paint it the Swedish league isn't anywhere near the same standard.

DivinePast

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1056 on: November 24, 2017, 11:17:36 PM »
La Liga is a comparable league to the Premier league though. Silva has already managed at Hull in the premier league so yes I would take him. He also managed at Sporting Lisbon and had Champions league experience with Olympiakos so again had managed at a comparable level to the premier league. Whichever way you want to paint it the Swedish league isn't anywhere near the same standard.

Yup the only reason people care about him is because he is English. If he was Bulgarian there wouldn't be any interest for him at this job.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1057 on: November 24, 2017, 11:28:36 PM »
Yup the only reason people care about him is because he is English. If he was Bulgarian there wouldn't be any interest for him at this job.

Point in case... Look at what Gheorgi Hagi has done at his own club (he owns it) and his record is arguably the best in Europe. Better than that of Potters. Not one mention (aside from me earlier, albeit not seriously).

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1058 on: November 24, 2017, 11:39:20 PM »
the mail and telegraph both reporting that Pardew has been interviewed and will be appointed on sunday.
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/912320556?-11200:789:0
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/912319836?-11200:789:0

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1059 on: November 24, 2017, 11:56:29 PM »
who does Pardew tend to drag around with him as his number 2 and his coaches?

bartleygreen baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1060 on: November 25, 2017, 12:01:58 AM »
who does Pardew tend to drag around with him as his number 2 and his coaches?

Worked with John Carver at Newcastle; Keith Miller at Palace. Not sure whether he has a go to guy?

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1061 on: November 25, 2017, 12:06:02 AM »
Worked with John Carver at Newcastle; Keith Miller at Palace. Not sure whether he has a go to guy?
aye,remember john carver having a little go in the toon hot seat and think garner will be a good fit with him from the palace days

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1062 on: November 25, 2017, 01:45:05 AM »
Pardew unlike Pulis does not appear to have an established backroom staff who follow him round. He was at Palace with Ben Garner but I can't find out whether Garner left to join Pulis or was fired by Pardew (could be awkward that)

If Pardew is going to be a success I think he will need the support of a really good assistant to concentrate on the fine tuning on the training ground which I think is a recurring weakness in his career.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1063 on: November 25, 2017, 01:54:48 AM »
Pardew took a lot of abuse at Newcastle, most of which I felt was unfair. Not once did he make any cutting remarks about the fans or board. Could probably do a decent job here. Whoever we get will need time.

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1064 on: November 25, 2017, 04:10:55 AM »
Pardew unlike Pulis does not appear to have an established backroom staff who follow him round. He was at Palace with Ben Garner but I can't find out whether Garner left to join Pulis or was fired by Pardew (could be awkward that)

If Pardew is going to be a success I think he will need the support of a really good assistant to concentrate on the fine tuning on the training ground which I think is a recurring weakness in his career.

I can't see him and Megson getting along!

I would hope for a new no 2 to get things as fresh as possible.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1065 on: November 25, 2017, 05:25:51 AM »
Don't like the bloke one bit but if Pardew gets it we'll have to get behind him, appalled really the Albion seem to have limited themselves so much in the manager market.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

DivinePast

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1066 on: November 25, 2017, 05:38:46 AM »
I am sure we will play better with the new managerial bounce but this is not a long term hire.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1067 on: November 25, 2017, 06:59:05 AM »
Don't like the bloke one bit but if Pardew gets it we'll have to get behind him, appalled really the Albion seem to have limited themselves so much in the manager market.

The first thing that would appeal to the Albion is that fact that they wouldn't have to pay compensation
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1068 on: November 25, 2017, 07:42:01 AM »
The first thing that would appeal to the Albion is that fact that they wouldn't have to pay compensation

It makes sense to look at the available coaches first particularly mid-season when clubs who have successful coaches might quite reasonably flat out refuse to release the manager regardless of compensation and can do so because they have gardening leave clauses in the contracts which effectively stop a manager leaving in mid season. e.g. Watford and Silva. 

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1069 on: November 25, 2017, 10:59:48 AM »
Two things worry me concerning quest for new manager.
1 Why insist on Premiership experience thus wiping out all up and coming managers
2 Why even consider Bilic when apparently West Ham players were not fit enough.

65baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1070 on: November 25, 2017, 11:10:32 AM »
Really thought the club would go for something a little different.
Clear thatbLainhas one thing in mind. Premier survival and a short term Pardew appointment seems to tick the boxes. Fair play to the likes of Watford who have taken a little risk and gone with a young dynamic coach. So we just back him, hope we play decent football and bag 40 points  by May

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1071 on: November 25, 2017, 11:17:18 AM »
I don't really see too much wrong with Pardew, as far as I can see most the dislike of him is down to not liking Pardew the person because his premier league record is really very decent Charlton aside (and considering they had had 2 managers prior to him that season it would be unfair to put too much of that on him), playing decent football at that, and seems a decent cup manager.

The fact his teams go on good and bad runs isn't really any different to pretty much any other manager we'll get, that's just the nature of teams outside the top 6. Happens to pretty much anyone if they stick around for more than a couple of seasons. Martinez, Koeman, Laudrop were all these up and coming managers who experienced similar. I'd be surprised if the same didn't happen to Silva if he stuck around long enough.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 11:21:53 AM by Dan »

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1072 on: November 25, 2017, 11:21:37 AM »
It's been a stellar performance from the media this one. Yesterday they were saying that we hadn't contacted Pardew yet and now today they're reporting that we've interviewed him twice, with the first one being on Thursday! I really don't know why anyone buys a newspaper....

Anyway, whilst I would want us to appoint someone who's been a success abroad or is young/up and coming, I wouldn't throw my toys out of the pram over Pardew like I did over Irvine and Pulis, even if Pardew's personality makes him something of a tw*t. Pulis was the same in that regard after all! Pardew will at least get us playing more attacking football and the players are likely to react well to the shackles being taken off.

What would be nice is for an imaginative appointment as assistant head coach but, ultimately, Pardew (if indeed it is to be him) needs to be able to have whoever he wants on the coaching staff.

Like new players, whoever is appointed as the new head coach needs to be given a fair opportunity to prove themselves and I hope we have someone new in the dug-out for the Newcastle game.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 11:52:10 AM by WorcsWBA »

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1073 on: November 25, 2017, 11:25:14 AM »
Really thought the club would go for something a little different.
Clear thatbLainhas one thing in mind. Premier survival and a short term Pardew appointment seems to tick the boxes. Fair play to the likes of Watford who have taken a little risk and gone with a young dynamic coach. So we just back him, hope we play decent football and bag 40 points  by May

I certainly think that GL is being advised that an established Premiership HC carries the lowest risk, but I'm not sure that is the only criteria.
If reports are to be believed, then we also approached Koeman, & you would think, others of a similar calibre.
It seems to me that, even if we're willing to pay the salaries, our profile is not yet high enough to attract that level of Manager/HC.

If our next Manager/HC is to be Alan Pardew & we go on to retain our PL status & win something, then perhaps the one after could be a bit more exciting.

We appear to be on an "evolution not revolution" journey.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1074 on: November 25, 2017, 11:33:18 AM »
 I was never keen on Pardew he seems a bit wey a bit wo  do you know what I mean a bit slippery a bit wide boy.
But I think he would be good here he has good players,we will not go down and he will play attacking with wingers
Looking forward to our players playing to their strengths just you watch us go now,9 points from next 4