Author Topic: 1 Oct 2016 Sunderland 1 Albion 1  (Read 43573 times)

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2016, 05:26:46 PM »
Needed leko on for McClean but pulis ain't got the billhooks to push for the win

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #176 on: October 01, 2016, 05:29:48 PM »
2 points from 2 games against the bottom 2 clubs. 2 wins in 17 games. Happy with that?

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2016, 05:31:02 PM »
Sorry but that is not a 'good' performance. A good performance was achieved by Southampton who put a woefully out of form WHU (like Sunderland) to the sword last weekend.

If that is a good performance than Pulis has lowered our expectations so low that average is now deemed as 'good'

Sunderland were shocking and completely inept of ideas. A good performance would have seen us put that game to bed comfortably but Pulis tactics stunted us offensively when we went 1-0 up.

Yes we had a few chances, and Pulis will point to that. But Sunderland were awful and we should have had more chances, and therefore the likelihood of scoring and thus winning comfortably is increased.

Lots of team have chances and fail to score. Good teams and good performances have enough chances that enough are scored. That was completely average.

Jordie1471

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2016, 05:35:50 PM »
Frustrating not to be able to kill the game off against the worst team in the division, who had several key players out injured.

Will have to play significantly better if we want to get anything against all the big teams we have coming up now.

Lets hope we step it up next weekend.

Chadli once again the best player on the pitch.

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2016, 05:42:31 PM »
Rondon had an awful game. Really should have won but a point away from home isn't too bad.

What match were you watching? I take it you weren't actually at the game? Some great runs from him first half and a couple of good pieces of play second half. Him and Chadli linked up well at times.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 05:44:32 PM by Nocky »
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #180 on: October 01, 2016, 05:48:19 PM »
Disappointing to draw, you could say Defoe should have scored early on so on paper an OK result, but that's about it, average. Glad to see we went for it after we conceded, think we will get a few Points against the top teams.

DivinePast

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #181 on: October 01, 2016, 05:49:51 PM »
2 points from 2 games against the bottom 2 clubs. 2 wins in 17 games. Happy with that?

9th in the table is pretty good so yea, pretty alright with it.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #182 on: October 01, 2016, 05:50:38 PM »
What match were you watching? I take it you weren't actually at the game? Some great runs from him first half and a couple of good pieces of play second half. Him and Chadli linked up well at times.

No but if that's your opinion after attending games I'd take a trip to the opticians.

I like Rondon but he was very poor today. Against their poor out of form defence we needed him to perform a lot better than that.

bartleygreen baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #183 on: October 01, 2016, 05:59:01 PM »
Disappointed we didn't win as we are not going to win any of the next 4 games!

DivinePast

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #184 on: October 01, 2016, 06:05:00 PM »

Not with that attitude!

But I think we got a decent shot against Spurs,  the Man City game might get ugly though.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #185 on: October 01, 2016, 06:08:15 PM »
Got to be technically happy with a point away from home.

Having said that, have to question the substitutions, what was the point in bringing morrison and kanu on with so little time left in the game. Everybody was flagging all over the pitch, could have even put berahino up top with Rondon and run at them a bit.

Need to bring Fletcher off sooner as well, clearly he hasnt got a full game in him and Gardner probably be seen again in an Albion shirt, sorry Gards.

Sunderland are probably the crappest team in the league and we should have won but hey, its early doors.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #186 on: October 01, 2016, 06:14:00 PM »
We've played no one yet and are only five off the drop. Got all the big teams to play twice, can't be happy with our start to the season or the performances thus far.

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #187 on: October 01, 2016, 06:14:58 PM »
No but if that's your opinion after attending games I'd take a trip to the opticians.

I like Rondon but he was very poor today. Against their poor out of form defence we needed him to perform a lot better than that.

'Very poor'? Really? I guess performances must look a lot different from an armchair.... I suggest you get a better stream next time. Solid 7 out of 10 for me and up there with one of our better performers on the day. Lovely couple of runs second half which were found by Chadli and unlucky to score with his near post effort.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #188 on: October 01, 2016, 06:22:10 PM »
An opportunity lost we aren't going to play many teams that are in worse form than Sunderland yet we couldn't bury them. No complaints about McClean coming off but going with Gardner was indicative of a negative mind set which has cost us two points. 

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

boingboing1989

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #189 on: October 01, 2016, 06:30:46 PM »
We've played no one yet and are only five off the drop. Got all the big teams to play twice, can't be happy with our start to the season or the performances thus far.

We are also 5 points of second place!!! I think your trying to scaremonger here a bit.

Thought that was the best we've played all season and we just seemed to switch off for the 5 minutes before there goal and it cost us. On another day Rondon would of buried his chances and we'd of won comfortably. Disappointed we didn't get the result but thought we played really well and actually looked to create things, good signs.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #190 on: October 01, 2016, 06:38:02 PM »
'Very poor'? Really? I guess performances must look a lot different from an armchair.... I suggest you get a better stream next time. Solid 7 out of 10 for me and up there with one of our better performers on the day. Lovely couple of runs second half which were found by Chadli and unlucky to score with his near post effort.

My stream was perfect actually.

According to Whoscored.com he was our worst performer today. The consensus amongst most fans seems to be he played poorly. He had 5 shot and only managed to get 1 on target which he was never going to score at the angle he made for himself. His passing was wayward, he constantly made poor decisions.

Yeah but you were at the game so I bow to your superior knowledge.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #191 on: October 01, 2016, 06:40:32 PM »
Why shouldn't we? We know tony likes to turn it up against the bigger sides, I think we have a good shot. Things aren't that bad, we know they could be that much better but then it's about right given how things have been in recent seasons.

DivinePast

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #192 on: October 01, 2016, 06:50:25 PM »

According to Whoscored.com he was our worst performer today. The consensus amongst most fans seems to be he played poorly. He had 5 shot and only managed to get 1 on target which he was never going to score at the angle he made for himself. His passing was wayward, he constantly made poor decisions.

I can attest he gave the ball away stupidly near the half way line twice off my memory which you can see Tony freaking out about.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #193 on: October 01, 2016, 06:55:51 PM »

Last time I read a doom monger write that we won the next game! ;D
Baggie in Southampton

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #194 on: October 01, 2016, 07:01:32 PM »

Listen, watching a match live is very different from watching it on your laptop. That's just a fact. You get a completely different appreciation for a players movement off the ball. He was dragging their two centre halves all over the place in the first half which created space for Chadli to operate in. He wasn't perfect by any means but to suggest he was very poor - I.e a 3/4 out of 10 - isn't an accurate assessment of his performance IMO.

Muhammad Ali

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #195 on: October 01, 2016, 07:04:59 PM »
Got to be technically happy with a point away from home.

Having said that, have to question the substitutions, what was the point in bringing morrison and kanu on with so little time left in the game. Everybody was flagging all over the pitch, could have even put berahino up top with Rondon and run at them a bit.

Need to bring Fletcher off sooner as well, clearly he hasnt got a full game in him and Gardner probably be seen again in an Albion shirt, sorry Gards.

Sunderland are probably the crappest team in the league and we should have won but hey, its early doors.

Fletcher is a 40 -50 minute player, he lacks the mobility and pace to get back into midfield when he loses the ball through a bad pass, he does it once or twice per game and Gardener is no better

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #196 on: October 01, 2016, 07:06:04 PM »
Nocky, can't believe you think Rondon played well, he was appalling. Link up was non existent, he gave the ball away on countless occasions, and broke down our attacking play. Second half the midfield deliberately stopped playing the ball into him as they had given up on him. First half Chadli went for a one two and he bizarrely drifted away and made Chadli look like a mug. Late on he should have done better with a header but even that which is his main strength was missing today. 3/10 from him at best.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #197 on: October 01, 2016, 07:11:13 PM »
Listen, watching a match live is very different from watching it on your laptop. That's just a fact. You get a completely different appreciation for a players movement off the ball. He was dragging their two centre halves all over the place in the first half which created space for Chadli to operate in. He wasn't perfect by any means but to suggest he was very poor - I.e a 3/4 out of 10 - isn't an accurate assessment of his performance IMO.

Thanks for the info I've never been to match live  ::)

He was very poor and that is an accurate description as he was one of our worst, if not the worst, performer for us today.

He was also dispossessed more than any other player. He did not hold up the ball well, he did not score or assist. His movement must have been phenomenal for you to forgive such a poor performance. 

Or maybe you like him so don't want to criticise him. Much more likely.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #198 on: October 01, 2016, 07:15:46 PM »
Baggie82:  No chance. Rondon did great with quite a few balls hit up to him when he was up against 2 defenders. Both his headers late on were pretty much impossible to score from, crosses were slightly over hit. I think people are being quite harsh.

Not much mention of the quality of the football we played today. Thought we knocked it around really well at times.  Played some nice stuff.

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #199 on: October 01, 2016, 07:18:42 PM »
Nocky, can't believe you think Rondon played well, he was appalling. Link up was non existent, he gave the ball away on countless occasions, and broke down our attacking play. Second half the midfield deliberately stopped playing the ball into him as they had given up on him. First half Chadli went for a one two and he bizarrely drifted away and made Chadli look like a mug. Late on he should have done better with a header but even that which is his main strength was missing today. 3/10 from him at best.

Appalling? I must've been watching a different match. Did the bloke spit in your cornflakes this morning or something? You've blamed him for pretty much every incident in the game! The Chadli 1-2 he'd spun off to create room for him to take the shot. The header was a difficult one as he was stretching for it. What about the step over and shot second half which was well saved by their keeper? The pull back for Chadli's shot first half? He was involved in most of the good things we did in the match.

Muhammad Ali