Author Topic: coventry city  (Read 2146 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

coventry city
« on: September 27, 2021, 11:10:50 AM »
Apologies if there is already a Cov thread,

I keep thinking they are out performing themselves and the bubble will burst.
Will it?
I just looked at their first team squad, largely unfamiliar, their reserve keeper is the spit of a young Ben Foster.
Robins is an ok manager but not someone you would look at and think innovative, very clever or under-rated.
Is it a response to being back at Ricoh?
what are peoples thoughts, should we be concerned about them?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: coventry city
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 11:21:59 AM »
Hopefully it's the result of the good work done in the past by their former academy manager Richard Stevens who is now with us of course. I haven't studied the make up of their squad to see if that's the case though.

Good to see and hope they keep up their progress.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 11:45:30 AM »
Hopefully it's the result of the good work done in the past by their former academy manager Richard Stevens who is now with us of course. I haven't studied the make up of their squad to see if that's the case though.

Good to see and hope they keep up their progress.
Really?
As our nearest challengers, I sincerely hope they don't. ;)

I think the move back to the Ricoh and fans back in is playing a part and momentum is a wonderful thing. It's no good on it's own though so they must have some decent players. Can't see then threatening top 2 but play offs is a distinct possibility.
Fulham should be worried.  ;)

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 12:00:52 PM »
Worst thing they ever done was leave Highfield Road, it is no coincidence it's all gone Pete Tong since.

No stadium and no players in terms of resale value.

The only thing they own is their training ground and they are even earmarking that for a housing development.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 12:06:45 PM »
Really?
As our nearest challengers, I sincerely hope they don't. ;)

I think the move back to the Ricoh and fans back in is playing a part and momentum is a wonderful thing. It's no good on it's own though so they must have some decent players. Can't see then threatening top 2 but play offs is a distinct possibility.
Fulham should be worried.  ;)
I'm not a local so maybe not as tied up in the local rivalries. I'm just talking about a club who will have the usual mix of good people and less good people within the club and fanbase. I take the view that they seem to have done well with their academy and have stuck with Mark Robbins. There's no major money behind their recent progress.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 12:11:44 PM »
Living in Coventry I have a bit of insight. Whilst moving back to the city has galvanised parts of the fan base, their record whilst playing in Birmingham wasn't bad. I think their good form is down to more than that.

I think their success can be pinpointed to two areas: manager and recruitment.

The job Robins has done there, taking them from League 2 to where they are now is remarkable. Whilst he has had an ok but not great managerial career prior to this stint at Coventry, I think it is a case of the right man for the club but also that he has evolved and improved as a manager leading to this point. They play a fairly attractive style of play but can adapt and be more pragmatic when needed.

The benefit of having a manager in long term is that you can build a team and style of play and recruit cohesively to that blueprint. They have recruited players to fit the system and seem to have embraced analytics in order to help do this, signing players like Hamer from the continent on the way.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 12:13:32 PM »
Living in Coventry I have a bit of insight. Whilst moving back to the city has galvanised parts of the fan base, their record whilst playing in Birmingham wasn't bad. I think their good form is down to more than that.

The job Robins has done there, taking them from League 2 to where they are now is remarkable. Whilst he has had an ok but not great managerial career prior to this stint at Coventry, I think it is a case of the right man for the club but also that he has evolved and improved as a manager leading to this point. They play a fairly attractive style of play but can adapt and be more pragmatic when needed.

The benefit of having a manager in long term is that you can build a team and style of play and recruit cohesively to that blueprint. They have recruited players to fit the system and seem to have embraced analytics in order to help do this, signing players like Hamer from the continent on the way.

That will never catch on !
Albion Family !!!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 12:25:32 PM »

That is far easier to do when you are skint and expectations are low. Certainly can't argue with the results though.

I know Cov of old though and, now their expectations will have gone up, a few defeats and their boo boys will come out of the woodwork  ;)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 12:29:25 PM »
That is far easier to do when you are skint and expectations are low. Certainly can't argue with the results though.

I know Cov of old though and, now their expectations will have gone up, a few defeats and their boo boys will come out of the woodwork  ;)

A bit like us you mean?
MAGA!

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 12:30:36 PM »
They've embraced analytics rather than their recruitment people tapping the side of their noses and saying "Recruitment's all about football intuition and gut feeling, son."
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 12:30:41 PM »
A bit like us you mean?
No mate, we are just skint  8)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 12:39:18 PM »
No mate, we are just skint  8)

I would suggest our expectations of the board are also low.
MAGA!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 01:02:07 PM »
Ive always quite liked Coventry.

Im happy to see them back and on the up again.

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 01:04:36 PM »
Robins is doing a very decent job over there...... more's the pity. Healthy dislike for the Vile aside there's really not a lot to like about them in my personal experience.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2021, 04:00:46 PM »
Robins is doing a very decent job over there...... more's the pity. Healthy dislike for the Vile aside there's really not a lot to like about them in my personal experience.

Especially, when they consider Cyril as one of their own?

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 04:17:49 PM »
We were being linked with their midfielder Gustavo Hamer before the season. He seems to have some good qualities on the ball and a Brazilian-Dutch pedigree sounds interesting. Has anyone had a closer look at him?
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 06:00:16 PM »
You can't beat a few local derbies and Coventry are a welcome addition to the local mix in my view
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2021, 08:47:08 AM »
well this thread certainly put a hex on Cov, lost 5-0 to Luton last night ! Quite an unpredictable scoreline that!
Albion Family !!!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2021, 09:03:30 AM »
well this thread certainly put a hex on Cov, lost 5-0 to Luton last night ! Quite an unpredictable scoreline that!
Should we start one praising Fulham? ;)