0 (0%)
Grady Diangana
0 (0%)
Matt Phillips
0 (0%)
Jayson Molumby
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: 1 Oct 2021 Stoke City 1 Albion 0  (Read 32485 times)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #450 on: October 02, 2021, 02:22:25 PM »
Still waiting for baggie82's player ratings, if he/she could kindly oblige it would be much appreciated.

Given his marking matrix and scoring post Cardiff I suspect Mr. Hugill may score somewhere between zero and three. On said matrix (and if so) I'm not sure I would disagree either.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #451 on: October 02, 2021, 02:34:58 PM »
Hold on people are slagging of keeper who made some cracking saves and kept out penalty effort, lads you need to let go of his vile connection. Sam has been instructed to be a sweeper keeper by Val,Mom for us as he kept the score down.

Hold on yourself. Some posters do seem to have an issue with some particular players, and some do seem to prefer slagging off players to actually making observational criticism.  But most are simply posting about a poor team performance, (some admittedly do not post at all when we play well) and commenting on what they saw. The majority are fair and honest appraisals of the team and individuals. 

With regard to SJ; I have never been a fan, but will freely admit he has improved, and is trying quite well at the sweeping role. Even on the back of this poor team performance he made some good saves, including the one from the harshly awarded penalty against him. Unfortunately for a goalkeeper though, no amount of excellent saves during a game can make up for a single error that ends up costing the three points. It was not the first time either was it?

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #452 on: October 02, 2021, 02:46:29 PM »
Hold on yourself. Some posters do seem to have an issue with some particular players, and some do seem to prefer slagging off players to actually making observational criticism.  But most are simply posting about a poor team performance, (some admittedly do not post at all when we play well) and commenting on what they saw. The majority are fair and honest appraisals of the team and individuals. 

With regard to SJ; I have never been a fan, but will freely admit he has improved, and is trying quite well at the sweeping role. Even on the back of this poor team performance he made some good saves, including the one from the harshly awarded penalty against him. Unfortunately for a goalkeeper though, no amount of excellent saves during a game can make up for a single error that ends up costing the three points. It was not the first time either was it?
Cost us 3 points we never looked like scoring last night so i don't know how you worked that one out?

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #453 on: October 02, 2021, 02:50:00 PM »
Blaming Johnstone for the goal last night is a bit like sending somebody off for retaliation while the bloke that threw the first punch gets away Scot free ! Townsend with assist by Reach we’re the real culprits
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #454 on: October 02, 2021, 02:56:40 PM »
Was the yellow card for the goalie correct by the laws of the game, from my perspective it's difficult to see it prevented a clear goal scoring opportunity?

I think so, Robinson didn't have control of the ball and it was heading away from goal towards the corner flag, so it wasn't a goal scoring opportunity. At best he might have been able to pick out a team mate.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #455 on: October 02, 2021, 02:58:14 PM »
Still waiting for baggie82's player ratings, if he/she could kindly oblige it would be much appreciated.

-5 for the lot except for Reach and Ajayi who get 4/10. Seriously I was too depressed by the performance to list ratings, it far more enjoyable when we win.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #456 on: October 02, 2021, 02:59:41 PM »
Blaming Johnstone for the goal last night is a bit like sending somebody off for retaliation while the bloke that threw the first punch gets away Scot free ! Townsend with assist by Reach we’re the real culprits

It was a terrible attempted clearance by Townsend and then Johnstone made the wrong decision to come charging out which made it easier for Powell to score. Both those things can be true, it's not a zero sum game to throw a bucket of mud over one single player. Most of them earned a bucket or two last night.

hillsm

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #457 on: October 02, 2021, 04:35:44 PM »
-5 for the lot except for Reach and Ajayi who get 4/10. Seriously I was too depressed by the performance to list ratings, it far more enjoyable when we win.

Admittedly not as entertaining a read as your appraisal of the Cardiff game but thank you.
I agree that Reach has looked decent.
Other than his pace which allows him to recover, Ajayi is a liability and worries me every time he's called into action. Cheap naughty word he gave away that they hit the bar from if I recall correctly. I'd have Clarke back in for him next match.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #458 on: October 02, 2021, 04:40:29 PM »
Admittedly not as entertaining a read as your appraisal of the Cardiff game but thank you.
I agree that Reach has looked decent.
Other than his pace which allows him to recover, Ajayi is a liability and worries me every time he's called into action. Cheap naughty word he gave away that they hit the bar from if I recall correctly. I'd have Clarke back in for him next match.

Clarke is a left footer Val won't play him on the right. It's either Ajayi or Kipre.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #459 on: October 02, 2021, 05:24:16 PM »
He has to play Ajayi as the other two couldn’t run out of sight on a dark night
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #460 on: October 02, 2021, 06:12:14 PM »
Cost us 3 points we never looked like scoring last night so i don't know how you worked that one out?

Read my post again maybe you will realise  perhaps that I was not apportioning particular blame to SJ merely trying to point out that as a goalkeeper you can have a great game yet still get blamed for a loss of points. OK I maybe should have said one and not three, a mere slip of phrase.

If you insist on pedantry

Fact: SJ has more than once cost us 3 points.

Conjecture: That we would not score.

Conjecture: That had SJ not been again caught in no mans land they would not have scored and we might then have gone on to score and win the match.

So how do you work out that had they not scored then the general run of the game might have changed and we might just have got something right in their half of the field? Unlikely but stranger things have happened.

All ifs and buts, and almost certainly nonsense, but no more nonsense than taking a single part of a post out of context, and using it to making a critical comment about the team and the poster. Had you nothing more constructive to offer in trying to defend an inconsistent goalkeeper?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 06:14:08 PM by wodenson46 »

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Man of the match vs Stoke
« Reply #461 on: October 02, 2021, 06:28:27 PM »
Was going to reluctantly give it to.........*** Then thought - Nah none of em, Sod em all

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #462 on: October 02, 2021, 10:56:06 PM »
Button

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #463 on: October 02, 2021, 11:01:13 PM »
 :D The tea lady again...I’m afraid 😟

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #464 on: October 02, 2021, 11:04:29 PM »
Who on earth voted for Livermore? :o
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #465 on: October 03, 2021, 01:47:04 PM »
Read my post again maybe you will realise  perhaps that I was not apportioning particular blame to SJ merely trying to point out that as a goalkeeper you can have a great game yet still get blamed for a loss of points. OK I maybe should have said one and not three, a mere slip of phrase.

If you insist on pedantry

Fact: SJ has more than once cost us 3 points.

Conjecture: That we would not score.

Conjecture: That had SJ not been again caught in no mans land they would not have scored and we might then have gone on to score and win the match.

So how do you work out that had they not scored then the general run of the game might have changed and we might just have got something right in their half of the field? Unlikely but stranger things have happened.

All ifs and buts, and almost certainly nonsense, but no more nonsense than taking a single part of a post out of context, and using it to making a critical comment about the team and the poster. Had you nothing more constructive to offer in trying to defend an inconsistent goalkeeper?

Townsend once more cost us three points against Stoke along with the entire outfield defence regularly costing us many three point wins with their frequent gaffs but of course they are rarely blamed by the anti-Johnsone posters.

West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #466 on: October 03, 2021, 02:56:54 PM »
The SJ rhetoric became seriously boring a long time ago. Townsend, being the shower of sh*te he actually is despite the blinkers being on a lot of the time on here, gifted them the ball with an easy through ball on which they played putting their striker, who was once signed for big money by Man Utd so is a talented boy, one on one with the keeper, with an easy square ball for a tap in to their other striker if he had not shot himself.

For SJ to be the man being blamed for that goal is quite staggering. We going to forget the save at 0-0 when Surridge had put it under him as he pulled out a brilliant reflex stop to get his hand to it, or the penalty save after their striker bought the penalty after yet more horrific defending from us. Every outfield player bar perhaps Reach and Ajayi was nothing sort of utterly abysmal, yet here we are talking about the goalkeeper again. Ridiculous

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #467 on: October 03, 2021, 03:38:02 PM »
Townsend once more cost us three points against Stoke along with the entire outfield defence regularly costing us many three point wins with their frequent gaffs but of course they are rarely blamed by the anti-Johnsone posters.

Few OTT phrases there isn't there?
Its the first game we've lost this season ::)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #468 on: October 03, 2021, 04:14:56 PM »
Few OTT phrases there isn't there?
Its the first game we've lost this season ::)

Never let the facts get in the way of a rant mate. Everybody makes mistakes and in my opinion Townsend has been pretty good this season.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #469 on: October 03, 2021, 05:21:11 PM »
Agreed re Townsend, and as I said I also think SJ is mostly ok as well, or at least improving. it is sadly the case that the slightest misjudgement by a keeper resulting in a goal will often be over analysed and criticised. Few of the goals we have conceded; and that is not too many at all so far, have been entirely one player's fault, but have been the result of a combination of errors, from a combination of players. But it's not about individuals it's about a defensive unit that is a little short on talent and confidence in each other, especially centrally when playing the high line. I think it can and will improve, with the right players in the right positions and as they get used to the new system.

We would all like to see improvements throughout the club, but some of the overly critical analysis of the team and individual players over every goal against us is well and truly OTT. Sometimes an opponent is going to score, sometimes an opponent plays better, than we do. It does not make us or any of our players worthy of being dismissed as  sh*te. It is football ffs we will drop some points and lose some matches against teams we might be expected to beat. So will most other teams in this league. We have been watching it long enough to get this surely.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 05:43:51 PM by wodenson46 »

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #470 on: October 03, 2021, 05:57:28 PM »
At best he cost us 1 point, we never looked like winning and certainly didn't deserve to.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #471 on: October 03, 2021, 06:57:34 PM »
. Few of the goals we have conceded; and that is not too many at all so far, have been entirely one player's fault, but have been the result of a combination of errors, from a combination of players....

...some of the overly critical analysis of the team and individual players over every goal against us is well and truly OTT....

Generally, when things go wrong, it's an easy trap to blame everything on a single person or a small minority
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #472 on: October 04, 2021, 12:22:32 PM »
Really poor performance, we just never got started. Stoke a little better all over the park. Never a penalty though Surridge just threw himself over Johnstone.

Ref was poor all night; seemed to favour us a bit in the first half and Stoke in the 2nd.

Ah well that's the unbeaten run ended, was bound to happen at some point but I'd rather it hadn't been at Stoke.

International break means some players can have a bit of a rest before we go again against Blues.

Saw a few fights walking back to my car.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #473 on: October 04, 2021, 12:30:04 PM »
Really poor performance, we just never got started. Stoke a little better all over the park. Never a penalty though Surridge just threw himself over Johnstone.

Ref was poor all night; seemed to favour us a bit in the first half and Stoke in the 2nd.

Ah well that's the unbeaten run ended, was bound to happen at some point but I'd rather it hadn't been at Stoke.

International break means some players can have a bit of a rest before we go again against Blues.

Saw a few fights walking back to my car.

I didn't think it was a penalty either (for the record). Not that it matters it would've been a robbery if Stoke hadn't won the game. They were much better than us on the night.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #474 on: October 04, 2021, 12:34:14 PM »
on the players being knackered thing, if I were VI I would be asking some serious questions of our "sports scientists / fitness / coaching teams"  yes VI is ultimately responsible BUT he must feel pretty disappointed that he wasn't told in advance that certain players needed resting. 

Unless he over ruled them on the basis that the international break is imminent, in which case he needs to learn the lesson.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!