Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 670547 times)

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #3725 on: October 12, 2021, 06:38:17 PM »
I have never been a fan of SJ, but his recent levels of performance have begun to win me round to the extent that I would prefer him to sign a new contract and stay for another couple of years. But maybe we should start to get used to the idea of him not being here after his contract or even after January, and start thinking about giving his replacement a fair chance. Whoever that replacement might be.  I believe finding an instant improvement on his present form will be very difficult.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3726 on: October 12, 2021, 07:08:56 PM »
I have never been a fan of SJ, but his recent levels of performance have begun to win me round to the extent that I would prefer him to sign a new contract and stay for another couple of years. But maybe we should start to get used to the idea of him not being here after his contract or even after January, and start thinking about giving his replacement a fair chance. Whoever that replacement might be.  I believe finding an instant improvement on his present form will be very difficult.

Good post Wodey and delighted to see Sam is winning you round!

At one time I wasn’t a fan of Johnstone but recognised his huge improvement so, credit where credit is due.

It would be great if he did stay for a couple more seasons but given the situation, I doubt that will happen and we will have to be content with Button. It’s a sign of the continual lack of ambition displayed by the owner and board.

West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3727 on: October 27, 2021, 05:16:55 AM »
 :D How would everyone feel if we sold Sam in January to Southampton for say 7 mill in exchange for Fraser Forster (probably worth 2 mill) as a sort of swap deal plus cash.
Forsters contract also ends in June 2022 ??? Not a bad Keeper played for England 2013 to 2016 and is 33 years old?

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3728 on: October 27, 2021, 06:41:12 AM »
:D How would everyone feel if we sold Sam in January to Southampton for say 7 mill in exchange for Fraser Forster (probably worth 2 mill) as a sort of swap deal plus cash.
Forsters contract also ends in June 2022 ??? Not a bad Keeper played for England 2013 to 2016 and is 33 years old?
I have never been against SJ, but would bite Southampton's hand off for that deal.Why would they offer that deal though when they can get him on a free in the Summer?
They are more likely to offer a straight swap for Shane Long !!!!
I do feel that if Sam is still here post transfer window, and he has not signed a new contract, then he should be left out for Button, Palmer, or A.N.Other as he will surely be distracted. A distracted SJ is not good.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 08:24:05 AM by iwastherein68 »
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3729 on: October 27, 2021, 07:39:35 AM »
I have never been against SJ, but would bite Southampton's hand off for that deal.Why would they offer that deal though when they can get him on a free in the Summer?
They are more likely to offer a straight swap for Shane Long !!!!
I do feel that if Sam is still here post transfer window, and he has not signed a new contract, then he should be left out for Button, Palmer, of A.N.Other as he will surely be distracted. A distracted SJ is not good.
If he knows he's going to be out of contract then he has all the more reason to impress potential new clubs. If his form warrants him being left out then so be it.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3730 on: October 27, 2021, 09:04:51 AM »
Southampton are 16th in the Premier League and although early days, they could be one of the team’s relegated whilst we, the Mighty Baggies, could be swapping places with them.  Sam wouldn’t be fancying that scenario.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 09:44:06 AM by Hull Baggie »
West Brom 2023/24

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3731 on: October 27, 2021, 09:17:23 AM »
Short term openings for SJ may just have increased with Raya at Brentford out for 4 to 5 months.
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3732 on: October 27, 2021, 03:18:06 PM »
Short term openings for SJ may just have increased with Raya at Brentford out for 4 to 5 months.

By the time the transfer window opens Raya will be 2 months away from a return.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3733 on: November 02, 2021, 04:05:12 PM »
We are offering him a long term contract according to Konur

"Ekrem KONUR
@Ekremkonur

West Brom want to extend Sam Johnstone's contract until 2025.

Will up contract talks with Sam Johnstone in January to."

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3734 on: November 02, 2021, 04:21:12 PM »
We are offering him a long term contract according to Konur

"Ekrem KONUR
@Ekremkonur

West Brom want to extend Sam Johnstone's contract until 2025.

Will up contract talks with Sam Johnstone in January to."

If the club have any ambition they will make him a seriously good offer, but with the way we are being run at the moment I really dont blame him if he goes elsewhere.
MAGA!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3735 on: November 02, 2021, 04:22:12 PM »

If the club have any ambition they will make him a seriously good offer, but with the way we are being run at the moment I really dont blame him if he goes elsewhere.

I don't see why he would sign to be fair. Could walk on a free in 6 months time.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3736 on: November 02, 2021, 05:21:01 PM »
I don't see why he would sign to be fair. Could walk on a free in 6 months time.

Its more of a statement from the club really to demonstrate that there is a real genuine long term plan. He is a regular here but may only be a reserve at another club, so he will need to consider that. However, he may get an offer far in excess of what we can offer, and I wouldn't blame him if he went......
MAGA!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3737 on: November 02, 2021, 05:23:35 PM »
Its more of a statement from the club really to demonstrate that there is a real genuine long term plan. He is a regular here but may only be a reserve at another club, so he will need to consider that. However, he may get an offer far in excess of what we can offer, and I wouldn't blame him if he went......

Wouldn't blame anyone for leaving if they have a fair offer accepted. Future ain't bright here with Lai in charge.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3738 on: November 02, 2021, 08:58:46 PM »
Nonsense statement, there is no negotiation to be had, ball is entirely in Sams court!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3739 on: November 03, 2021, 05:04:21 PM »
Nonsense statement, there is no negotiation to be had, ball is entirely in Sams court!

He doesn't seem to have many suitors but I wouldn't be surprised if he parked it all until the summer.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3740 on: November 03, 2021, 05:48:21 PM »
Being England’s Number 2, I don’t think Sam would be happy settling for being a Club Number 2 unless he’s paid astronomical money to sit on the bench
West Brom 2023/24

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3741 on: November 04, 2021, 04:43:29 AM »
Being England’s Number 2, I don’t think Sam would be happy settling for being a Club Number 2 unless he’s paid astronomical money to sit on the bench

He wont be number 2 for country for long. Ramsdale in fine form and im sure pope will also pass him now hes playing regularly again
O Albion we love you

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3742 on: November 04, 2021, 01:41:46 PM »
I was one of his critics but since about the first 6 games of last season he's been great for us I think.  One screw up a few games ago but he's been tidy.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3743 on: November 04, 2021, 01:46:17 PM »
I was one of his critics but since about the first 6 games of last season he's been great for us I think.  One screw up a few games ago but he's been tidy.

The keeper / sweeper role is suiting the lad thats for sure, It will bring a few mistakes, inevitably but so be it.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3744 on: November 04, 2021, 02:42:47 PM »
Sam in the latest squad for the Albania and San Marino games.....will be interesting to see who gets the nod..

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3745 on: November 05, 2021, 12:16:04 PM »
Sam in the latest squad for the Albania and San Marino games.....will be interesting to see who gets the nod..

Pickford will remain as overall Number 1 choice but with these easier games I suspect he may share both games between Sam and Mr Grimsdale (or is it Ramsdale?) giving each a starting outing.

Pope is getting back to fitness and likely to reappear on the scene so either Sam or Grimsdale will miss out on the third squad spot and particularly Sam if Southgate is. Norman Wisdom fan!

West Brom 2023/24

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3746 on: November 10, 2021, 05:41:14 PM »
Sky Sports News have been reporting today that West Ham and Southampton are both interested in signing Johnstone next summer once his contract with us has ended.

Given that his much mooted contract extension after the last window closed never materialised, we can only hope that someone is willing to bid something for him in the January window to try to get ahead of others.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3747 on: November 10, 2021, 05:43:43 PM »
Sky Sports News have been reporting today that West Ham and Southampton are both interested in signing Johnstone next summer once his contract with us has ended.

Given that his much mooted contract extension after the last window closed never materialised, we can only hope that someone is willing to bid something for him in the January window to try to get ahead of others.

It's been doing the rounds the last few days that Griffiths likely to be recalled in Jan. If he is, we have a seller for SJ. If not then likely SJ is walking end of season.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3748 on: November 15, 2021, 07:11:16 PM »
Aaron Ramsdale chosen above him tonight - will probably confirm he needs to leave us to safeguard his international career.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3749 on: November 15, 2021, 07:17:26 PM »
Somebody comes in with 6m or more and he will be off this window.
O Albion we love you