Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 670592 times)

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #3700 on: October 11, 2021, 12:53:01 PM »
Certainly through a mist of time and nostalgia, I would  go for Osborne, Shepherd, Godden Miller Hoult and Foster over SJ. However having said that, I also think that SJ has shown some improvement this season. Trouble is his only real consistency is having a couple of 'dodgy moments in most matches. Possibly not all entirely of his own making but poor nonetheless.

Sam is not likely to be our player next season anyway, he wants to leave and does not appear to be interested in signing any sort of contract with us. We should try our best to get a decent fee as soon as we can whilst his stock is so high nationally, and say thanks and goodbye, and wish him all the best for a good future at a wealthier club.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3701 on: October 11, 2021, 02:25:40 PM »
I agree in 52 years almost to the day of going to the Hawthorns Hoult is the best i have seen. The other top ones are Osborne, Godden, Miller, Foster and now SJ. SJ is the best distributor now and i never thought i would say that but he has adapted to the demands of the modern game.

Hate to admit it but I can even remember, as a young lad, watching Ray Potter who played over 200 games for us 1958-1967. He was as good keeper for his day but not in the class of Johnstone!

Ray sadly passed away in 2005 aged only 69 - RIP.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 03:06:25 PM by TheBaggieMan »
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

OverLandAndSea

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #3702 on: October 11, 2021, 06:19:55 PM »
Having been given several heart attacks by Buttons kicking against AFCB and watching Palmer have an absolute mare against Arsenal, combined with the fact our owners hasn’t spent a single penny to date I can’t say there’s a single scenario where losing Sam in January could be seen as a good thing.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3703 on: October 11, 2021, 06:52:41 PM »
Having been given several heart attacks by Buttons kicking against AFCB and watching Palmer have an absolute mare against Arsenal, combined with the fact our owners hasn’t spent a single penny to date I can’t say there’s a single scenario where losing Sam in January could be seen as a good thing.

I agree. If we can get good money, and if Sam wants to leave, then fine. But, and it’s a big but, we would definitely need a new keeper. The best option is keep him, then get promoted!

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3704 on: October 11, 2021, 08:26:28 PM »
Certainly through a mist of time and nostalgia, I would  go for Osborne, Shepherd, Godden Miller Hoult and Foster over SJ.
Shepherd, just my opinion, but are you having a laugh. Shepherd couldn’t lace SJ boots. He was an awful keeper.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 08:53:44 AM by MarkW »

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3705 on: October 11, 2021, 09:02:39 PM »
But Rick had a great haircut and stud marks on his chest from Rodney Marsh
Beat that!

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3706 on: October 11, 2021, 10:07:21 PM »
But Rick had a great haircut and stud marks on his chest from Rodney Marsh
Beat that!

When I worked at Concentric Pressed Products (his girlfriend also worked there).
He came in on the Monday morning and showed us. They were still red and raw.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3707 on: October 11, 2021, 11:40:15 PM »

Shepherd, just my opinion, but are you having a laugh. Shepherd couldn’t lace SJ boots. He was an awful keeper.

Your opinion mate, not mine Shepherd was not an awful keeper. And he would definitely lace Johnstone's boots. Still don't get and never will the hysteria about Johnstone, as i said in an earlier post most of us on here could have played for England the other night and not been troubled. Let's see if he plays tomorrow,  i doubt it very much.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 08:54:11 AM by MarkW »

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3708 on: October 12, 2021, 01:01:36 AM »
Hate to admit it but I can even remember, as a young lad, watching Ray Potter who played over 200 games for us 1958-1967. He was as good keeper for his day but not in the class of Johnstone!

Ray sadly passed away in 2005 aged only 69 - RIP.
Remember Potter and Sheppard sharing goalkeeper duties with Albion in the 60s before Osborne.
Potter was a steady keeper (also prone to a gaff or 2).Sheppard was a bit of a showman but also pulled off some great saves.
When Osborne took over in 1967 he was outstanding and a real "clubman". I think Johnstone is playing a different game to these previous keepers, and in a way more is expected from Keepers these days and any mistake seems to be magnified.
Johnstone will probably go in January and we should be looking for a steady replacement, who can use their feet, heads etc in this modern game.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3709 on: October 12, 2021, 05:57:43 AM »
I saw Ossie give the most memorable Albion keeper performance in my lifetime, in a 1-0 victory at Liverpool, from the Kop!
The King scored early in the game , and Albion matched Liverpool in the first half, but in the second half attacking the Kop, he gave the performance of a lifetime ,save after save, with Albion totally overwhelmed. My mate and I had decided we had to experience the Kop "wave", - no tickets in those days, just turn up at the turnstile.
I do not exaggerate when I say we finished up about 20 yards to the right , and 10 yards below where we started. It was scary but exhilarating, and i will never forget a smiling Ossie waving back to the ovation from the Kop at the final whistle.
Happy days.
Gorra say it ay soo exciting from my sate in the East stand, but it's moor comfortable.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

WBA.R.K

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3710 on: October 12, 2021, 09:02:55 AM »
E&S article this morning saying that Southampton are preparing a bid for Jan.

So do we sell for what we can get or do we keep him?

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3711 on: October 12, 2021, 09:08:08 AM »
I'm not his biggest fan, but, I would rather he saw out the season, we have other priorities in Jan.
That being said, if the money we get goes towards Dike or similar, then it wouldn't be the worst business. We would need to replace though.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3712 on: October 12, 2021, 09:08:42 AM »
E&S article this morning saying that Southampton are preparing a bid for Jan.

So do we sell for what we can get or do we keep him?

If we do sell him we give ourselves two issues, we are unlikely to see any of the transfer fee received [as per the Pereira sale], and we will likely need a new goalkeeper for the Premier League [assuming we do go up] as I don't see anyone there at the moment to fill the position. So for me it is a 'no' but my head tells me that as soon as someone mentions money, our board will fall off their chairs to accept.
MAGA!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3713 on: October 12, 2021, 09:22:54 AM »
If we don't sell, and he doesn't sign a new contract, he leaves for free. Technically he can sign an agreement to move on a free in January, if clubs are prepared to wait until the summer
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3714 on: October 12, 2021, 09:30:44 AM »
If we don't sell, and he doesn't sign a new contract, he leaves for free. Technically he can sign an agreement to move on a free in January, if clubs are prepared to wait until the summer

Probably what he will do to be fair. Why sign a new contract here and now? Any PL club that wants him will make their interest known in Jan.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3715 on: October 12, 2021, 09:56:20 AM »
This was a problem that should have been anticipated and sorted back when we were dishing out 3 year contracts to Charlie Austin et al.
The legacy of short termism will haunt us for years sadly. Both managers and board have been guilty but I have some sympathy for managers (except Pulis and Allardyce) who are put into these positions which feel like "8 bad results and you are gone" 

I dread the inevitable happening with VI and how they react to that. Lets just hope its in the EPL as the cash does provide some cushioning effect.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Baltic

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3716 on: October 12, 2021, 10:17:44 AM »
It was not 'sorted out' because he was playing badly at the time.  By last year it was too late (Sam rightly preferred to wait), so we can't blame the club. 

As for assessing him against former keepers; I'm pretty sure when Brunt was asked the best 3 keepers in his time, Johnstone was not on the list.  He'd seen him in every game and every training session, so consider that.

As at now; Sam's personal stock is high.  He's a low cost option for any EPL side, so it's logical that he'll not want us to get a fee (which effectively comes out of his pocket).  However, if such a deal can be done for even £3m, I think we should bite their hand off.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3717 on: October 12, 2021, 10:44:51 AM »
What about Jack Butland
Still only 28, does he play in first 11 at Palace?
As a replacement for Sam he's got 2 years left on his contract

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3718 on: October 12, 2021, 11:31:45 AM »
What about Jack Butland
Still only 28, does he play in first 11 at Palace?
As a replacement for Sam he's got 2 years left on his contract

He's been dire since Stoke got relegated. Literally fallen off the proverbial cliff.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3719 on: October 12, 2021, 01:07:23 PM »

it is all about options isn't it? I think Shepherd like SJ liked the odd photo opportunity save, and like all players could make a mistake or two. He was possibly no more than a little better than average for his time, certainly not the best. But on the stuff that really counts he was a vastly better goalkeeper than SJ. Shepherd's Communication, with his defenders, His Command of his area, and his Catching from crosses and shots were all far superior to what Sam has shown. For instance that catch and throw out from Sam for England, was just about par for most decent goalkeepers in Shepherd's time. Shepherd and company could also punch a ball out properly without flapping it into a danger area unlike your beloved Sam. Lace Sams boots? Shepherd would show Sam how to do it properly my friend.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 01:09:27 PM by wodenson46 »

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3720 on: October 12, 2021, 01:54:25 PM »
it is all about options isn't it? I think Shepherd like SJ liked the odd photo opportunity save, and like all players could make a mistake or two. He was possibly no more than a little better than average for his time, certainly not the best. But on the stuff that really counts he was a vastly better goalkeeper than SJ. Shepherd's Communication, with his defenders, His Command of his area, and his Catching from crosses and shots were all far superior to what Sam has shown. For instance that catch and throw out from Sam for England, was just about par for most decent goalkeepers in Shepherd's time. Shepherd and company could also punch a ball out properly without flapping it into a danger area unlike your beloved Sam. Lace Sams boots? Shepherd would show Sam how to do it properly my friend.
Godden was the king of that! Wasn't so good with crosses though, then again, with Wile and Robertson in front of him, he didn't need to be!.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3721 on: October 12, 2021, 03:34:21 PM »
Godden was the king of that! Wasn't so good with crosses though, then again, with Wile and Robertson in front of him, he didn't need to be!.

Wonder whether Wile and Robertson have any plans for Friday night.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3722 on: October 12, 2021, 04:05:30 PM »

This is a wind up ???

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3723 on: October 12, 2021, 05:49:52 PM »
Wind up No:2
Nightmare scenario, Johnstone signs for Vile or the Ding1e5 replacing Martinez or Sa.
😱
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

OverLandAndSea

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #3724 on: October 12, 2021, 06:10:24 PM »
Selling in January will only benefit Lai, because sure as eggs is eggs Val won’t see a penny of it.