Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 670551 times)

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #3625 on: September 11, 2021, 07:00:32 PM »
Deserves some praise after today. Probably 'won' us a point with his oneon-one saves

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3626 on: September 11, 2021, 07:05:14 PM »
No issue for me that Sam didn’t come for cross to many bodies around him defenders should have dealt with it and Semi has been pulled out of jail by keeper on three occasions

I totally agree with this. What on earth was Ajayi doing on those occasions? Shocking.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3627 on: October 01, 2021, 11:50:32 PM »
Someone tell him to stay on his line..

He did all the hard work with that fantastic save, and then threw it away by standing in no mans land to allow him to be chipped.

If he’s on his line then they do not score. Simple.

Aside from that, he had a good game. Just a shame this sweeper keeper business has seen him come unstuck again.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 11:53:04 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3628 on: October 02, 2021, 12:09:48 AM »
I thought overall he had a good game. Did brilliantly to keep out the pen. With the goal, if he'd stayed on his line, the forward would have taken it up to him and been able to pick his spot. On the other hand, the lob might have gone aywhere. Who knows.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3629 on: October 02, 2021, 12:42:01 AM »
Twice in a week he’s come flying out and made it easy for the strikers.

He’s also made a couple of decent saves like the penalty today but unfortunately for the position he plays he can make as many decent saves as he wants but one bit of saftness a game can be the difference which it was tonight

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3630 on: October 02, 2021, 02:25:16 AM »
Twice in a week he’s come flying out and made it easy for the strikers.

He’s also made a couple of decent saves like the penalty today but unfortunately for the position he plays he can make as many decent saves as he wants but one bit of saftness a game can be the difference which it was tonight

Goes back to his limitations he doesnt read the game or anticipate the play. He used to not move and just be rooted and now he is always in no mans land we have never had a happy medium he lacks judgement.

Made one good save. Saved a pen which he was daft enough to give away sliding in with his knees. If he had gone with his hands he may well have smoothered the ball and no pen or not go and just jockey no pen again he did neither.

The goal he was in no mans land. Had a right old stinker today and thats why nobody stumped up the cash for him. Give 2 of our last 3 opponents a head start. Without his positiong today we would have taken 0-0 despite being awful
O Albion we love you

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3631 on: October 02, 2021, 06:49:12 AM »
Why criticise Johnstone again?  We were outplayed and came off deserved losers.  He is nowhere near the weakest part of the team.

He is still in the England squad and the subject of interest from Tottenham, so he must be doing something right!

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3632 on: October 02, 2021, 07:21:58 AM »
Don’t know what game some were watching last night but Sam was not the reason we lost, he kept the score down. 10 outfield players  who collectively were pooh and coach who doesn’t seem to know how to solve problems when teams are effective against us.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3633 on: October 02, 2021, 08:54:47 AM »
Wasn’t awful last night by any means. Could be questioned on the goal yes. So could others. These things happen and I never understand why some have to have a scapegoat for every goal we concede. Time to move on to next game now.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3634 on: October 02, 2021, 09:30:39 AM »
Why criticise Johnstone again?  We were outplayed and came off deserved losers.  He is nowhere near the weakest part of the team.

He is still in the England squad and the subject of interest from Tottenham, so he must be doing something right!

There is one post criticising - the other three have provided praise.

Regardless of his merits, there appears to be a running pattern that goals are being conceded because of his limitations with the sweeper keeper role.

Also, did he save that free kick last night as from the away end it looked like it just hit the bar?

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3635 on: October 02, 2021, 09:58:13 AM »

Regardless of his merits, there appears to be a running pattern that goals are being conceded because of his limitations with the sweeper keeper role.

Also, did he save that free kick last night as from the away end it looked like it just hit the bar?

Fingertips on that. I thought it was a mixed bag of a game, he most definitely kept the score down but the disallowed OG and the actual goal were poor moments for him but the OG moment was lucky.

I don't think we can expect much better at this level - look at that time the Stoke keeper handled outside the area - calamitous!

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3636 on: October 02, 2021, 10:11:58 AM »
Why criticise Johnstone again? We were outplayed and came off deserved losers.  He is nowhere near the weakest part of the team. He is still in the England squad and the subject of interest from Tottenham, so he must be doing something right!

Probably because he keeps making stupid decisions and basic mistakes that is costing the team. It is even more important to have a reliable keeper when the outfield players are having a stinker. A few times this season, like against QPR the players have bailed him out.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3637 on: October 02, 2021, 10:28:42 AM »

finger tips on to bar so give him credit for that

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3638 on: October 02, 2021, 10:31:31 AM »
finger tips on to bar so give him credit for that

Don Goodman suggested he got touch on it but in the three replays shown I couldn't see one. I thought the penalty against him was harsh as their player slid into him but he had a nibble which he could have avoided.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3639 on: October 02, 2021, 11:22:45 AM »
Probably because he keeps making stupid decisions and basic mistakes that is costing the team. It is even more important to have a reliable keeper when the outfield players are having a stinker. A few times this season, like against QPR the players have bailed him out.

No-one has ever said Johnstone is perfect.  This criticism/frustration goes back to last season.  There were people jumping on Johnstone when we had the following results: WBA 0 AV 3 / WBA 0 Leeds 4 / WBA 0 Arsenal 5.

Never mind the fact these teams just walked through our midfield!

We did the right thing in getting shut of Austin & HRK, as they weren't good enough.  However, Hugill is not the answer. 

In summary, IMO the biggest barrier to promotion is we are 1 good midfielder short.  We should go all out for the non-playing Yokuslu in Jan 22.  Surely he can "tolerate" the Championship for a few weeks until May 22?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3640 on: October 02, 2021, 12:22:51 PM »
Last night we saw both sides of SJ. Fantastic shot stopping but very poor decision making. I don't think it will ever change.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3641 on: October 02, 2021, 12:32:29 PM »
Last night we saw both sides of SJ. Fantastic shot stopping but very poor decision making. I don't think it will ever change.

This. He's frustrating for me. Does some things very well and others not so.

He's an exceptionally good reflex keeper but his decision making drives me crackers at times.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3642 on: October 02, 2021, 12:36:06 PM »
Whilst Johnstone is in goal and Bartley is centre back, irrespective of how we’re set up, this team will always concede big chances. Ultimately in this division a lot of the time you will get away with it as the attacking players of the opposition aren’t that good. As last season showed, in the Premier League you can’t afford to make so many simple mistakes as the opposition will punish you 90% of the time.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3643 on: October 02, 2021, 12:59:12 PM »
No-one has ever said Johnstone is perfect.  This criticism/frustration goes back to last season.  There were people jumping on Johnstone when we had the following results: WBA 0 AV 3 / WBA 0 Leeds 4 / WBA 0 Arsenal 5.

We did the right thing in getting shut of Austin & HRK, as they weren't good enough.  However, Hugill is not the answer. 

In summary, IMO the biggest barrier to promotion is we are 1 good midfielder short.  We should go all out for the non-playing Yokuslu in Jan 22.  Surely he can "tolerate" the Championship for a few weeks until May 22?

Whilst I completely agree with most of your post Greg, and also like the idea of a Yokuslu in the team, my criticism of SJ goes back right to his first season with us. He has never seemed to be in charge of his domain on the pitch. Looks like he is too pleasant a bloke to shift his defenders around and make them know that he is in charge. Crosses, and shots from distance have also resulted in goals that might well have been saved. Sam just does not appear to have the judgement and spatial awareness of the better keepers. One old guy who was in a works team I played for a couple of times used to always finish the managers pre match stuff with 'And just remember if you hear me shout KEEPER  get out of the ******* way or I WILL smash ya". Doubt if he got much more than six inches off the ground when he jumped, but I don't remember him ever missing many crosses. (Which was just as well because in spite of me being a shade over 6ft and taller than a lot, I was utterly useless in the air.) ::)

SJ has improved with us and despite some really bad errors has also had some superb performances, and made some great saves, but despite his actual age is still a bit' young' in goalkeeping terms. He will eventually make an excellent keeper in a decent team, but I don't think it's fair to expect him to prop up such an uncertain defence as ours. Our defence would benefit from an older more experienced and assertive goalkeeper behind them. Although some less accident-prone defenders might help a bit as well ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 01:02:03 PM by wodenson46 »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3644 on: October 02, 2021, 01:00:48 PM »
This. He's frustrating for me. Does some things very well and others not so.

He's an exceptionally good reflex keeper but his decision making drives me crackers at times.

It does drive you nuts. He makes the easy things hard and the hard things seem easy.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3645 on: October 02, 2021, 01:10:10 PM »

How will a good Yokuslu help the defence when the opposition are content to just keep hitting over the CH's and into the corners?

1st port of call should be a CF.  Then after that another CH.  We spend so much of our time hitting it over the midfield that we should sharpen up at the other ends of the pitch first.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3646 on: October 02, 2021, 01:41:13 PM »
Somebody like Yokuslu with the experience to know where to go to receive a pass to help out defenders under pressure, and cover opponents runs, cuts down the number of attacking options for the opponent. Add to this the ability to carry or pass, or hoof the ball, and to make the right decision more often than not to get us back up the pitch, and give attackers a better chance, all improves the team defence. Defending is a team effort, as is attacking. We are weak in the spine of the team and so far have  just about managed to get by at this level, Ok we could welcome better players in most positions and CF CH may be a priority along with a goalkeeper, but Centre Mid has been a priority for a number of seasons, and Yokuslu despite age concerns for the longer term, is one of the best options we have tried and might possibly  be available to us.

Back on topic: SJ is not doing too badly with his efforts as a sweeper keeper, but is still prone to the same slight misjudgements of bounce, pace and positioning and lack of confident ball handling that has dogged his career with us. Certainly with top central defenders in front of him these would be less catastrophic and he could learn to be a very good keeper.

Unfortunately we will have to develop these defenders because we cannot afford to buy them. SJ does not help his defence to improve, and our present defence does little for SJ's improvement. Catch 22, but with a couple more like Dara O'Shea coming through, and a good experienced keeper to give them confidence we might just get there over time. This of course does not take into account any management and coaching team inputs, which will no doubt be significant.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 01:58:54 PM by wodenson46 »

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3647 on: October 02, 2021, 01:43:36 PM »
How will a good Yokuslu help the defence when the opposition are content to just keep hitting over the CH's and into the corners?

1st port of call should be a CF.  Then after that another CH.  We spend so much of our time hitting it over the midfield that we should sharpen up at the other ends of the pitch first.

I couldn't disagree more.  This might get taken down as is the Johnstone thread!

You intimate that last night Stoke hit long balls over the top and Ajayi / Bartley come unstuck that way.

My reading of the game was we were passed off the park, and Joe Allen in particular demonstrated why he was a EPL fixture for many seasons.  It was a good job the Stoke forwards were terrible!

We aren't conceding masses of goals and that demonstrates overall the keeper / defence are doing a decent job.  We have Clarke and Bryan waiting on the sidelines.

Look at previous Championship campaigns where we averaged 2 goals per game, regular goals/assists from midfield.  Its not happening.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3648 on: October 02, 2021, 02:09:09 PM »
What Sam Johnstone gives with one hand he takes away with the other. Literally sometimes. This applies to his feet, positioning and distribution. It is what it is. Some days he will shine and on others we shall whine. Such is fate of a goalkeeper. Eric Cantona has hacked my .com account (allegedly).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3649 on: October 02, 2021, 09:28:59 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me when supporters praise SJ when he makes regulation saves in a match . For goodness sake that’s what he’s supposed to do ! What you hope he doesn’t do is make it easy for the opposition to score . I can think of 3 occasions already this season where his  poor positioning or decision making has cost us actual goals , namely Blackburn , QPR and Stoke