Author Topic: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD  (Read 2370217 times)

godsabaggie, Barrington and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD
« Reply #8925 on: April 03, 2020, 09:01:59 AM »
furlough is 80% UPTO £2500 / month,
I imagine players car leases exceed this !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8926 on: April 03, 2020, 09:15:14 AM »
There was a scathing attack on football clubs yesterday afternoon, may have been the previous day by some business minister.

He said football clubs have taken the biscuit furloughing their staff and continuing to pay their players enormous salaries.

It just sums it up for me.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8927 on: April 03, 2020, 09:25:33 AM »
I know its not popular opinion in the nation at the moment but most footballers really arent that bad.

I know a few premier league players (two are associates and one is a mate) and i spoke to him on Wednesday and we got talking about the current situation (i dont know exactly what he earns)

He said right from a few weeks ago when this country really began to get affected, games were called off, etc there has been a willingness from premier league players to offer financial support and its only been 10 days since it was announced the lockdown measures.

He said its been very unofficial as there have been talks between different players who know people at other clubs, etc and nobody has wanted to start speaking out to the social media, news outlets, etc until they knew what they were going to do which may come across as doing nothing.

At first they had said about each player making a donation from their own personal accounts to a fund  (he said most players were on board with that) but its where to pay it too and they have been getting advice on that. At first they said about the NHS to give more money to the nurses, care workers, etc.

The problem with that is the NHS is already well funded by the government for the current situation and anything they do wont benefit the workers right now, ie - if they send a cheque for x amount, it wont go to to the nurses and give them a payrise immediately or help get new staff in, the government are already making extra funds available for all that.

Even things like ambulances, equipment, etc if they donated to that, it doesnt happen immediately, you wont get a new vehicle the next day.

They then had also looked into donating to hospices and charities but there are that many it then becomes who do they donate too, how much goes to bigger ones, how much to local ones, etc so there is a bit more planning to it, you are possibly looking at between 250-300 players making a donation so it does take organising to get it to the right people.

And then this week there has been the furlough announcements from a few clubs which has really rocked the boat, i dont know about Newcastle but he said apparently most Spurs players didnt know anything about their plans regarding the non playing staff until it was in the news this week and that has shocked them.

The same as making sure the money filters down, most players apparently would be happy to support lower league clubs through donations but they have just found out this week that their friends at the training ground, canteen, matchday staff, etc are losing out so they want to get them sorted first.

This has only come out this week so all of a sudden a lot of the spurs players want their money to go towards ensuring that the people who are affected at their club are looked after, again there are logistics to doing that, but they need to know from the club who is paid what, what the club is doing and again, they arent seeing these people everyday anymore to ask them, so the club have to help them a bit, its not 1 or 2 staff, its hundreds, Harry Kane probably doesnt have the phone number of Bob who is one of the stewards, let alone his bank details to transfer him money, they cant give them bundles of cash as they dont see each other and logistically that cant work with it being hundreds of people and would you be sure if they did it through the club the people who need it get it right now when it matters.

With the likelihood that other clubs will announce similar plans, players seem to apparently want to make sure they look after their own club staff first which i think is fair enough and then support others.

The other main sticking point is the PFA, they represent the players and at the moment they are asking questions as to why the players employers - billion pound football clubs, are operating how they are and what are they going to be doing next, especially with clubs lower down the pyramid really struggling, it doesnt bode well for saving those clubs when the big boys are already making cuts of their own.

Apparently there is some phone meeting today between football club captains / reps and he seemed to think an announcement will be coming from the players as a group soon but this has been going on a while and they are making sure its a group effort and that its going to the people who really need it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 09:48:21 AM by Albion79 »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8928 on: April 03, 2020, 09:27:54 AM »
I think footballers are a very easy target although i definitely would like to see them cover the costs of the working class staff if possible who have been laid off.

Billionaire tax dodgers sitting by idley not contributing are more the focus of my ire.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8929 on: April 03, 2020, 09:57:32 AM »

I know its not popular opinion in the nation at the moment but most footballers really arent that bad.

I agree. I dont actually blame the players. It is Ashley, Levy etc who i think are an embarrassment as I suspect most players would agree to take 80% for a few months to ensure staff are played.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8930 on: April 03, 2020, 09:57:54 AM »
Whilst i agree players should be taking a 2age cut and where possible subsidising other staff at their clubs that are in danger of losing their income it doesn't sit well with me that any group of people should be singles out by politicians!! These politicians have effectively been laid off are they taking wage cuts?  There are many seriously wealthy in this country have they been called out , judges , court system is virtually shut down etc etc
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8931 on: April 03, 2020, 10:19:12 AM »
I don’t know if it’s a serious question,  but I imagine it’s because it is still breach of contract and a player could in theory walk.

It was a serious question.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8933 on: April 03, 2020, 04:06:30 PM »

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8934 on: April 03, 2020, 04:11:21 PM »
Hancock should be concentrating on getting protective gear and testing equipment for the NHS rather than looking for cheap publicity and trying to deflect the attention onto players and trying to instigate a public backlash.

The likes of the poxy spurs and levy who are to blame for this and like I said above we will see how many others in the top division join the s hit list.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8935 on: April 03, 2020, 04:13:36 PM »

Safe to say said anonymous player is NOT at Spurs 😂

Why?

The image look like dele Ali.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8936 on: April 03, 2020, 04:13:42 PM »
If larger clubs like Tottenham and Newcastle are laying off non-playing staff, you wonder what the financial consequences of the crisis would be for clubs the size of WBA? Its times like this I'm grateful that we are run on a sound business model, but even then, it could mean drastically scaling down the wages bill or the number of staff.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8937 on: April 03, 2020, 04:24:50 PM »
Why?

Not sure if you're serious, but that is not a silhouette of the actual player in question.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8938 on: April 03, 2020, 04:26:48 PM »
If larger clubs like Tottenham and Newcastle are laying off non-playing staff, you wonder what the financial consequences of the crisis would be for clubs the size of WBA? Its times like this I'm grateful that we are run on a sound business model, but even then, it could mean drastically scaling down the wages bill or the number of staff.

They don't need to do it. Levy and Lewis at spurs and Ashley at Newcastle are loaded and are taking advantage of the furloughing system.

The government should have excluded Premier league clubs from the system and any company that had declared a certain level of profit in their last set of accounts.

They don't offer to pay extra tax when they have profit years, but they will take the money when they don't really need it.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8939 on: April 03, 2020, 04:33:22 PM »

Not sure if you're serious, but that is not a silhouette of the actual player in question.

Yeah, I was entirely serious and have been in phone queue for the last 3 hours on an 0870 number to tell levy.

BTW, are you worried about Liverpool being denied the championship?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 04:46:39 PM by BalisPen »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8940 on: April 03, 2020, 04:49:19 PM »
Yeah, I was entirely serious and have been in phone queue for the last 3 hours on an 0870 number to tell levy.

BTW, are you worried about Liverpool being denied the championship?

No, because they won't be. The season will either be finished off in due course or will end with current standings honoured and no relegation.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8941 on: April 03, 2020, 05:30:28 PM »
Why?

Think the image is Andros Townsend who has already criticised Hancock
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8942 on: April 03, 2020, 05:43:35 PM »
I think footballers can think/ say what they like can't they, their silences are deafening.
Also, I don't think that Matt Hancock would have said anything ,he was merely asked his opinion

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8943 on: April 03, 2020, 05:59:01 PM »

No, because they won't be. The season will either be finished off in due course or will end with current standings honoured and no relegation.

I would be happy with that, as that principle would surely have to apply to the Championship
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8944 on: April 03, 2020, 07:14:34 PM »

Great.

Get those train tickets booked for the parade around Liverpool.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8945 on: April 03, 2020, 08:39:35 PM »
I think footballers can think/ say what they like can't they, their silences are deafening.
Also, I don't think that Matt Hancock would have said anything ,he was merely asked his opinion

He didn't have to give his opinion though and should concentrate on his job of health Secretary.

A lot of players have come from very improvised backgrounds, not been born with a silver spoon in their mouth and I have no doubt they have been targeted.

It's strange how the monied like levy and other rich people aren't being targeted.

And anyone who thinks a salary cap is a good thing is misguided as the clubs income will remain the same which means more money just goes to the owners.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8946 on: April 03, 2020, 09:09:31 PM »
Maybe Football agents will make a large gesture...................just saying.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8947 on: April 03, 2020, 09:40:26 PM »
The only gestures they would make, are single or double digit ones.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8948 on: April 03, 2020, 10:01:36 PM »
Why?

Autumn of his career and only on 50k a week....given most of it away over the last 3 years
It is not dele Ali
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8949 on: April 04, 2020, 01:57:08 PM »
From (a) horses mouth.

https://www.football365.com/news/feature-premier-league-player-wage-cut-matt-hancock

Provided that was a genuine transcript of an actual conversation, as opposed to some made up bull dragged out of the air, my guess would be Mark Noble.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.