Author Topic: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD  (Read 2377559 times)

DivinePast

• Youth Baggie

Re: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD
« Reply #7175 on: January 21, 2018, 04:08:13 PM »
It's hard to say isn't it - few would regard the Watford board as being sound decision makers. Hardly anyone's lasted there more than a year since 2008. They even sacked Sean Dyche.

They also only got 5 points out of the last 34 as well. He seem to be hellbent on playing attacking football in order to impress his future employer.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7176 on: January 21, 2018, 05:48:54 PM »
It's hard to say isn't it - few would regard the Watford board as being sound decision makers. Hardly anyone's lasted there more than a year since 2008. They even sacked Sean Dyche.

10 managers since 2009,"stability" appears to not be in their dictionary.

Turned Watford into another Hull, decent at home shocking away.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7177 on: January 22, 2018, 09:16:13 AM »
Not the lauded manager quite a few made him out to be

I don't think you can necessarily say this or call him a failure based on his time there. You can certainly question his professionalism, however. You would look at his spell at Watford as a before and after the Everton approach and the time before it was quite incredible really both in terms of style of play and the results they were picking up. After the Everton approach, however, they fell off a cliff completely which I would put down to a loss of focus from both manager and players. The players could see that Silva wanted to make the move to Everton and it must be difficult to carry on playing in the same manner when you can see that the managers heart isn't in it.

From the Silva perspective, of course he should have carried on regardless of the Everton approach and his head being turned, but it would be a lot like going out with plain Jane from down Handsworth Wood and then you have Kelly Brook in her pomp making overtures toward you which are rebuffed without your input. It has to be difficult carrying on with our Jane knowing that you could be pursuing that greener grass elsewhere.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7178 on: January 22, 2018, 09:26:06 AM »
I don't think you can necessarily say this or call him a failure based on his time there. You can certainly question his professionalism, however. You would look at his spell at Watford as a before and after the Everton approach and the time before it was quite incredible really both in terms of style of play and the results they were picking up. After the Everton approach, however, they fell off a cliff completely which I would put down to a loss of focus from both manager and players. The players could see that Silva wanted to make the move to Everton and it must be difficult to carry on playing in the same manner when you can see that the managers heart isn't in it.

From the Silva perspective, of course he should have carried on regardless of the Everton approach and his head being turned, but it would be a lot like going out with plain Jane from down Handsworth Wood and then you have Kelly Brook in her pomp making overtures toward you which are rebuffed without your input. It has to be difficult carrying on with our Jane knowing that you could be pursuing that greener grass elsewhere.

Pretty much my thoughts Fritzl. It will be interesting to see if Everton [or any other club for that matter] react now that he is free.

Not sure there is much grass involved with Kelly Brook  ;)
MAGA!

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7179 on: January 22, 2018, 09:34:42 AM »
Pretty much my thoughts Fritzl. It will be interesting to see if Everton [or any other club for that matter] react now that he is free.

Not sure there is much grass involved with Kelly Brook  ;)

;D

I doubt he will be out of work for long, and I am pretty sure the Everton fans themselves will react accordingly now as they can surely not be happy with the Allardyce regime. The two games we have played against them typify him as a manager, such a dour team they have now become under him, they offered nothing against us at our place and very little on Saturday.

He won't get a top, top job currently but he will be courted by those in the bracket below and will need to prove a number of people wrong again now as the Watford job will be seen by those looking in as a black mark more against his character than his ability.

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7180 on: January 22, 2018, 04:03:12 PM »
Newcastle signing Kennedy on loan from Chelsea..

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7181 on: January 22, 2018, 04:19:15 PM »
Newcastle signing Kennedy on loan from Chelsea..

thats a good bit of business !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #7182 on: January 22, 2018, 06:07:11 PM »
at last the Sanchez deals done,sick of hearing about it.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #7183 on: January 22, 2018, 07:28:36 PM »
I would have thought there's not much difference between ourselves and Crystal Palace regarding income yet they seem to bring in players without much apparent problems, already got two in this window and in talks with Inters CF Eder. some big earners at Palace so are they close to FFP limit.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7184 on: January 22, 2018, 08:05:51 PM »

Playing off City and Utd. Just after the money. £505,000 a week that's obscene

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7185 on: January 22, 2018, 08:48:18 PM »
Swansea beating Liverpool

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7186 on: January 22, 2018, 09:37:35 PM »
Can’t wait for Liverpool to be firing on all cyclinfers come the weekend after looking so poor at Swansea.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7187 on: January 22, 2018, 09:42:15 PM »
Surely Liverpool can’t be this bad on Saturday. Hope they are  though, really poor or is it Swansea are playing well. Went you want a team to win it just don’t happen.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7188 on: January 22, 2018, 09:48:26 PM »
Nice to see Liverpool getting there sh*ttest performance of the season out the way before playing us!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7189 on: January 22, 2018, 09:55:02 PM »
Liverpool were awful against us at Anfield but that was even worse. Swansea move level on points with us.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7190 on: January 22, 2018, 09:56:06 PM »
Well that throws a spanner in the works. Trust them to turn up on Saturday now as well

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7191 on: January 22, 2018, 09:57:17 PM »
Our league position is getting more worrying by the day. You’ve got to hand it to Swansea as they fought like demons from first whistle to last.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #7192 on: January 22, 2018, 09:58:38 PM »
Not the best of pitches by todays standards (the Ospreys play rugby on it)...may have curbed Liverpool's quick passing and movement a bit.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7193 on: January 22, 2018, 10:04:53 PM »
Our position is no worse, Swansea's is better,
Relegation is 3 from 12, status will chop and change until the end of the season, thats just the way it is.
I don't think Everton fans (9th) are too comfortable, playing rubbish and 6 points from relegation, on a plus we are playing better with more threat, if we can keep it secure at the back we will be ok.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7194 on: January 22, 2018, 10:10:29 PM »
Pardew was saying only recently that often so-called top teams with lots of big name foreign players, sometimes underrate the so-called 'lesser' teams. He reckons it needs the British players to tell them not to ease off.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7195 on: January 23, 2018, 07:37:41 AM »
Our position is no worse, Swansea's is better,
Relegation is 3 from 12, status will chop and change until the end of the season, thats just the way it is.
I don't think Everton fans (9th) are too comfortable, playing rubbish and 6 points from relegation, on a plus we are playing better with more threat, if we can keep it secure at the back we will be ok.

Spot on, we have to make sure we win our home games against Huddersfield, Soton, Swansea, Burnley, Leicester and pick up points away at Newcastle , Bournemouth and Palace. Easier said than done I know but that's got to be the aim. Anything we get against the top 6 sides will be a bonus (this season).

I do think we'll stay up but it is going to be nerve wracking.

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7196 on: January 23, 2018, 08:26:01 PM »
Latest from SSN..Slimani to Newcastle ..Mitovic to Brighton..

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7197 on: January 24, 2018, 06:28:31 AM »
Latest from SSN..Slimani to Newcastle ..Mitovic to Brighton..

Newcastle have turned down Brighton's offer as they want £15M.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-reject-bid-brighton-14194684

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7198 on: January 24, 2018, 07:12:48 AM »

Agree with you there.

There is something funny about Man City pulling out of the race if you ask me. Their reason was that they did not want to upset the balance of the books finance wise. I can see that as he would have no doubt got a similar deal there, but didn't they offer Messi £850,000 per week in the summer? So I am not sure that is the only reason. I know Sanchez is good, but I cannot help but think that Man Utd are really paying top dollar for him, and Pepe realised that.

Its almost as though Mourinho bought him to spite Pepe.
MAGA!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7199 on: January 24, 2018, 07:52:21 AM »
Agree with you there.

There is something funny about Man City pulling out of the race if you ask me. Their reason was that they did not want to upset the balance of the books finance wise. I can see that as he would have no doubt got a similar deal there, but didn't they offer Messi £850,000 per week in the summer? So I am not sure that is the only reason. I know Sanchez is good, but I cannot help but think that Man Utd are really paying top dollar for him, and Pepe realised that.

Its almost as though Mourinho bought him to spite Pepe.

they said something along the lines of signing Sanchez would have meant them having to increase the wages of other players to similar levels (I'm paraphrasing). That would have had a big effect on the amount of money they were paying out in increased wages plus Sanchez fee and wages. If they hadn't increased the wages of other players then it would probably have led to disharmony in the dressing room. I think the reported demands of Sanchez's agent(if true) left a sour taste in the mouth of Man City and fair play to them for saying no.

I agree that Man Utd have definitely paid top dollar (above top dollar I think) and that it does have an element of Mourinho trying to get one over on Guardiola.