Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 284706 times)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #600 on: October 18, 2018, 08:12:08 PM »
We are scoring for fun, if we have a weakness it's at the back
Surely we would be better served trying to get 1-2 Cb's in in Jan if we sell Burke , rather than making a case for playing him .
Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't...Valero
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

mig

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #601 on: October 18, 2018, 11:41:16 PM »
I think selling him would be pretty short-sighted from the management. He has hardly looked out of his depth when he has played, just hasn't been given enough chances as is the case with many of our younger squad players.

He is quick, strong and has a decent finish, so if we can't sell him for a profit then what is the harm in keeping him and loaning him out? Personally think he should be above HRK in the pecking order but clearly the management doesn't. However, at least give him the chance to show his qualities elsewhere, if not here, before permanently giving up on what was a sizeable investment.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #602 on: October 19, 2018, 07:25:23 PM »
So, from thinking that he would be good in the Championship, you have now decided that he is useless. Based on what? One and a half games in the EFL cup, when he scored once and had one assist?

Where did I say this

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #603 on: October 19, 2018, 07:54:04 PM »
Just scored for the PL2 side..

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #604 on: October 19, 2018, 09:30:45 PM »
Scored 2 in the end in a 3-0 win.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #605 on: October 20, 2018, 09:41:21 AM »
Scored 2 in the end in a 3-0 win.
Couple of cool finishes. Looked like 2 assists and a goal for Clayton-Phillips....and some nice lead up play from Leko to assist the Clayton-Phillips goal.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #606 on: October 20, 2018, 10:41:54 AM »
I can't link it as I'm overseas at the minute but there an interesting piece on Burke from Matt Wilson in the Express and Star right now . Appears Burke's been putting on a seperate training regime.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #607 on: October 20, 2018, 11:01:15 AM »
Whoever targeted him needs the sack!

Can you name someone who was involved in the 1st team (in any way) during summer 2017?  I can't think of one.

Oli Burke is the record transfer for a Scottish player... twice!  He's probably started about 20 1st team games (for any club).  Amazing amount of potential being paid for.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #608 on: October 20, 2018, 11:10:07 AM »
I can't link it as I'm overseas at the minute but there an interesting piece on Burke from Matt Wilson in the Express and Star right now . Appears Burke's been putting on a seperate training regime.
Here you go - let's hope that this translates into him having a major impact for the first team. The outlay we made on him justifies the effort:

Link: Express & Star

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #610 on: October 20, 2018, 11:30:05 AM »
Where did I say this
On this very site after last season had ended. Do you not remember? Here's the quote from you

" Him (Leko) and Burke along with Phillips & a new winger would be a good foursome in the Championship."
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 11:40:01 AM by timdon »

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #611 on: October 20, 2018, 11:34:47 AM »
Here you go - let's hope that this translates into him having a major impact for the first team. The outlay we made on him justifies the effort:

Link: Express & Star
Very pleased that DM has come out publicly with an explanation of what's happening and can't disagree with anything that was quoted in that article. There are indeed aspects of his game that he needs to work on, but there is also a massive potential, as Darren acknowledges. I hope the efforts of the training staff pay dividends, because if they do, we will have one hell of a player.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #612 on: October 20, 2018, 12:11:01 PM »
Lads, there is a topic on Oliver Burke in the main forum, this one is for transfer discussion. You all know how this forum works

TRANSFER DISCUSSION IN HERE, NON TRANSFER IN THE MAIN FORUM.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #613 on: October 20, 2018, 03:05:29 PM »
On this very site after last season had ended. Do you not remember? Here's the quote from you

" Him (Leko) and Burke along with Phillips & a new winger would be a good foursome in the Championship."

So by that theory him, Leko, Phillips, Gibbs are a good foursome. However it’s a shame that Leko & Burke simply aren’t good enough to be used as anything other than back ups.

Pound for pound, the lad is dreadful.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #614 on: October 20, 2018, 08:05:49 PM »
Think we need "some special" training for our back three and what is expected of them. It just is not going to happen!
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #615 on: October 20, 2018, 09:32:21 PM »
So by that theory him, Leko, Phillips, Gibbs are a good foursome. However it’s a shame that Leko & Burke simply aren’t good enough to be used as anything other than back ups.

Pound for pound is irrelevant - he didn't decide the fee. He's our player in the same way as Leko is and neither is dreadful.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #616 on: October 21, 2018, 11:21:56 AM »

As it's your "theory", you are arguing with yourself  :D :D

brummyroader

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #617 on: October 21, 2018, 09:07:21 PM »
Simply when we need a goal with 10 to go with his pace and power he can offer more than HRK who is absolutely woeful and never looks to contribute anything. For that alone he should be in 18.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #618 on: October 21, 2018, 11:16:08 PM »
Me too. We need game changers on the bench and there were none at Wigan. HRK needs to be left out altogether, but won’t be.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #619 on: October 22, 2018, 09:01:41 AM »
Baffles me how he isn't being considered an option from the bench.

He is scoring goals for the Under-23s (granted its not the same standard).

As a defender if my team is winning 1-0 and I look over to the sidelines, with 15 minutes to go I would be more concerned seeing Burke coming on than I would if HRK came on.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #620 on: October 22, 2018, 10:22:42 AM »
Baffles me how he isn't being considered an option from the bench.

He is scoring goals for the Under-23s (granted its not the same standard).

As a defender if my team is winning 1-0 and I look over to the sidelines, with 15 minutes to go I would be more concerned seeing Burke coming on than I would if HRK came on.
Absolutely, Moore can hide behind the sound results and table position for a while yet, but he needs to get a bit more procative in selection and subs.  A harem scarem Burke for 15/20 mins would at least give them a jolt, whereas HRK has get out the pipe and slippers all over him.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #621 on: October 22, 2018, 12:53:25 PM »
Absolutely, Moore can hide behind the sound results and table position for a while yet, but he needs to get a bit more procative in selection and subs.  A harem scarem Burke for 15/20 mins would at least give them a jolt, whereas HRK has get out the pipe and slippers all over him.

Agree with this completely.

When Burke comes on, he starts trying to find the space, run at players, and creates things. When Robson-Kanu came on against Reading, the first thing he did was start backing into the defenders, which takes away an option rather than create one.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #622 on: October 25, 2018, 01:32:10 PM »
Burke is not the finished article but he does show potential.
At the moment 1)he is on the bench warms up for 30 minutes but does not get on the pitch
2)as in 1 but comes on in the 89th minute
or 3)doesn't make the squad at all
If I was an opposing defender I would be more concerned having to mark him rather than Kanu
If I am wrong would someone explain why.
I think he should be a regular on the bench given a reasonable amount of game time when the situation warrants it and see how he develops.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #623 on: October 25, 2018, 03:14:59 PM »
Burke is not the finished article but he does show potential.
At the moment 1)he is on the bench warms up for 30 minutes but does not get on the pitch
2)as in 1 but comes on in the 89th minute
or 3)doesn't make the squad at all
If I was an opposing defender I would be more concerned having to mark him rather than Kanu
If I am wrong would someone explain why.
I think he should be a regular on the bench given a reasonable amount of game time when the situation warrants it and see how he develops.
I agree with you mate, but now we have signed Sako, I don't even expect him to figure on the bench. In fact, if anyone is genuinely interested in signing him ,I expect Mr Jenkins to be rubbing his hands with glee , and for Oliver to be gone in the January window. Damn shame in my opinion .
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #624 on: October 25, 2018, 03:24:29 PM »
I agree with you mate, but now we have signed Sako, I don't even expect him to figure on the bench. In fact, if anyone is genuinely interested in signing him ,I expect Mr Jenkins to be rubbing his hands with glee , and for Oliver to be gone in the January window. Damn shame in my opinion .

In all honesty I cant imagine that we would get too much return on Burke, especially nowhere near the amount we paid for him.

Would make more sense from a business perspective to send him out on loan and hope he performs well, then look to either sell him then or integrate him into the team.