Author Topic: TV Games  (Read 143135 times)

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

Re: TV Games
« Reply #475 on: November 01, 2020, 06:56:54 PM »
They won't. The subscription model is tried and tested. If it was up to Sky they would not be showing these matches at all.

So Jacko you don’t think if PPV is a successful venture Sky won’t be looking at extending PPV to their own schedules to expand their profitability irrespective of who introduced it.

Sky have long looked at ways and methods to increase their income.
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #476 on: November 01, 2020, 06:58:24 PM »
So Jacko you don’t think if PPV is a successful venture Sky won’t be looking at extending PPV to their own schedules to expand their profitability irrespective of who introduced it.

Sky have long looked at ways and methods to increase their income.

No I don't. They have no reason to depart from their successful model.

They've offered box office movies for years for example.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #477 on: November 01, 2020, 07:07:25 PM »
The PPV scandal is just the thin edge of the wedge.

I subscribed to Sky Sport when it was on a half price special offer but then along came PPV Box Office and I will not under any circumstances not only pay my monthly Sky Sports £15 subscription and then the £15 PPV for just one game.

What they will undoubtedly do IF PPV proves successful is the charge an additional fee for any live event such as football, cricket, rugby, F1 etc etc.  It’s just not acceptable and I urge everyone to boycott PPV even if you are tempted as, in the long run, they will stitch you up!

The charge for PPV isn’t a Sky charge.

It’s what the Premier League are charging you to watch the game.

They’ve just agreed with Sky and BT to use their platform.

Everyone keeps banging on about Sky and it’s not a charge from them.

When are people going to understand this
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #478 on: November 01, 2020, 07:26:51 PM »
The charge for PPV isn’t a Sky charge.

It’s what the Premier League are charging you to watch the game.

They’ve just agreed with Sky and BT to use their platform.

Everyone keeps banging on about Sky and it’s not a charge from them.

When are people going to understand this

If sky wanted to they could screen these matches free. They are not contolled by the premier league.If anything its the other way around because they are the ones pouring all the money into the premier league.

Either way Sky and the premier league are shafting the honest fans and under no circumstances should we put up with this.

Sooner we are out of this premier league the better.
Strangely we  will be on the TV more times when we are back in the championship.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #479 on: November 01, 2020, 07:46:19 PM »
If sky wanted to they could screen these matches free. They are not contolled by the premier league.If anything its the other way around because they are the ones pouring all the money into the premier league.

Either way Sky and the premier league are shafting the honest fans and under no circumstances should we put up with this.

Sooner we are out of this premier league the better.
Strangely we  will be on the TV more times when we are back in the championship.

They are controlled. The premier leagues sells them a package to screen a certain number of games. Sky can’t just choose to show others for free without premier league approval and The premier league voted to go PPV. 

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #480 on: November 01, 2020, 07:47:03 PM »
No they couldn’t!

The Premier League would charge them because they are not part of the scheduled games.

This charge is from THE PREMIER LEAGUE’

These are games that wouldn’t normally be televised at all.

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #481 on: November 01, 2020, 07:48:04 PM »
They are controlled. The premier leagues sells them a package to screen a certain number of games. Sky can’t just choose to show others for free without premier league approval and The premier league voted to go PPV.

No they couldn’t!

The Premier League would charge them because they are not part of the scheduled games.

This charge is from THE PREMIER LEAGUE’

These are games that wouldn’t normally be televised at all.

Fear we've got our work cut out here lads.

I'm bowing out  ;D
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #482 on: November 01, 2020, 07:49:25 PM »
Fear we've got our work cut out here lads.

I'm bowing out  ;D

Same here.

People just haven’t looked at it and still form an opinion on it.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #483 on: November 01, 2020, 09:29:30 PM »
Same here.

People just haven’t looked at it and still form an opinion on it.

I think the inference is that the broadcasters “invest” so much in the EPL that they could exert influence sufficient to convince the EPL of the error of their ways! 
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #484 on: November 02, 2020, 12:14:39 AM »
I'm sure Sky are not covering the PPV games as a charitable act from the goodness of their hearts. If they are making a loss, that's part of the deal. Like a postal service that has to cover places off the beaten track. But the PL or indeed the Government should have insisted on lowering the charges. Either way the relationship between the PL and Sky is far too cosy.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #485 on: November 02, 2020, 08:34:26 AM »

Ask yourself this....
“Would the Premier League be able to exist if it wasn’t for Sky television funding?”
Anyone who believes it is the Premier League who hold the upper hand controlling all the shots is being very naive.
It is a Sky that pulls all the strings and Sky are there to make a profit hence we will see the expansion of PPV be it via the Premier League or by Sky directly using their financial clout to insist on getting what they want.

West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #486 on: November 02, 2020, 08:47:24 AM »
It's the wife's birthday today. Being the romantic type I suggested we watch the game down the pub later (for only the second time this season). As it happens she's already reserved us a table somewhere they don't show the football. Grounds for divorce.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #487 on: November 02, 2020, 09:23:54 AM »
It's the wife's birthday today. Being the romantic type I suggested we watch the game down the pub later (for only the second time this season). As it happens she's already reserved us a table somewhere they don't show the football. Grounds for divorce.

Happy Birthday Mrs Dan.

"Huston, we have a problem!"  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #488 on: November 02, 2020, 09:26:36 AM »
Ask yourself this....
“Would the Premier League be able to exist if it wasn’t for Sky television funding?”
Anyone who believes it is the Premier League who hold the upper hand controlling all the shots is being very naive.
It is a Sky that pulls all the strings and Sky are there to make a profit hence we will see the expansion of PPV be it via the Premier League or by Sky directly using their financial clout to insist on getting what they want.

Not sure that'll is (or if it is, will remain) the case.  The TV rights cash coming into the Premier League is split almost 50/50 now between Domestic (includes SKY, BT and Amazon), and International.  £4.4bn from domestic versus £4.2bn from International.  I can see International TV rights over taking soon.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #489 on: November 02, 2020, 09:30:35 AM »

ahh! she had got the pre-emptive strike in, you are going to have to up your game mate,
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #490 on: November 02, 2020, 09:59:26 AM »
Not sure that'll is (or if it is, will remain) the case.  The TV rights cash coming into the Premier League is split almost 50/50 now between Domestic (includes SKY, BT and Amazon), and International.  £4.4bn from domestic versus £4.2bn from International.  I can see International TV rights over taking soon.
Interesting, I didn't realise that. I did hear one discussion in the media where they were saying that in countries like Australia and Canada people can get all the premier league and European games and lots more for the equivalent of about £10 per month and the reason given for that was that the individual provider were paying a lot less for the rights than Sky/BT do. I guess the rights being sold to more and more countries spreads that amount amongst many more providers.

Another thing mentioned was that BT refused to increase their bid this year which meant the premier league had to get more from overseas providers to get the huge income they wanted. I think it's the case that whereas the money from Sky and BT is effectively shared between the premier league clubs, the big 6 clubs get a higher proportion of the overseas money than clubs like ours would because they claim that the massive support bases they have overseas is driving the demand from foreign providers.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #491 on: November 02, 2020, 11:40:20 AM »

You never know, depending on how the match goes, you may end up thanking her!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #492 on: November 02, 2020, 12:16:56 PM »
ahh! she had got the pre-emptive strike in, you are going to have to up your game mate,

She said 'oh I'm sorry I just didn't think'. We've been together long enough for me to appreciate the plausibility of her response as she's rarely troubled by having thoughts, lovely though she is. Trust me, there was nothing preemptive going on here  ;D .

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #493 on: November 02, 2020, 12:31:23 PM »
You never know, depending on how the match goes, you may end up thanking her!

As it's her birthday I'll let her off regardless of result. Some years ago we hadn't had a night out for a while so I said just name a date of your choice and we'll go for a meal up Town. This was back in 2010 and she decided on Saturday September 25th. I'd been doing most of the away days for a while and thought missing one game won't hurt........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9024632.stm

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #494 on: November 02, 2020, 05:10:45 PM »
Sorry if this is already answered but if i buy todays game on PPV cani watch it through NOW TV or will have to be the Sky Sports website on my PC

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #495 on: November 02, 2020, 08:24:00 PM »
I think the last 3 weeks have shown why we aren't picked for Sky Sports much. The irony is that our 1 goal in 3 isn't very "Box Office."

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #496 on: November 05, 2020, 04:45:28 PM »
Im reading that the fifteen quid PPV has bitten the dust, any one else seen confirmation anywhere?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54824860

BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #497 on: November 06, 2020, 07:57:00 AM »

I reserved a table for my partners birthday a few weeks back. She wasn't happy, she does even like snooker..... :D.
MAGA!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #498 on: November 06, 2020, 07:58:51 AM »
Are we seriously on box office again for the 4th week in a row?  Whereas I can watch the majority of the 'big' teams free of charge?

I can understand if we were on the Horror channel.....
MAGA!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #499 on: November 10, 2020, 07:40:09 PM »
Premier League chief executive Richard Masters has confirmed that the controversial pay-per-view scheme will be abandoned.

Alleluia!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.