Author Topic: 29 Dec 2018 Albion 1 Sheffield Wednesday 1  (Read 38895 times)

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #225 on: December 30, 2018, 10:19:19 AM »
I am with Fritzi's comments generally speaking. I also think many posters really believe that Darren is running the show. I think that Mr Jones is the real leader.

Expand please.....

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #226 on: December 30, 2018, 10:26:10 AM »
A poor performance and lucky to get away with a point - I have to admire our battling qualities as despite not being at our best, we showed remarkable character to really dig in and get a vital point.

I didn't agree with the team selection but given the age of our squad and the amount of games we have coming up it made sense to make the changes - I think we all expected a bit more of an input from certain players however.

Credit to Sheffield Wednesday however - they were excellent in the first half and could have got more than the one goal. Bullen packed the middle of the pitch and nullified the space for Barnes and co. Wednesday kept urging us to go wide to Tosin and Sako to enable us to put in crosses for Lees and Hector to gobble up.

On a side note - I have mentioned on this forum before that Tom Lees is an excellent defender and someone I would pursue. It is only when I see the hapless Kyle Bartley that I reinforce that view.

Disappointed with Tosin, Rodriguez, Sako, Bartley and Morrison who had poor games.

As for the red card - I agreed at the time. Looked like a clear stamp from the Smethwick. I have not seen the footage back however.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #227 on: December 30, 2018, 10:35:02 AM »
Just watch the bench activity during the game, and do you really think that Darren would throw three subs on together of his own volition ?
Just my opinion mate, I just don't subscribe to the Darren Moore love-in, and I think he waited so long to recruit Jones, because he felt he could not do the job without him.
Did you not see the the comment from Jones that "I am in charge of the team' s play with the ball, and Darren when we do not have the ball, and that is what we agreed when I joined the club"
Speaks volumes to me and I believe the Manager should not delegate in that way. 
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #228 on: December 30, 2018, 10:47:42 AM »
Just watch the bench activity during the game, and do you really think that Darren would throw three subs on together of his own volition ?
Just my opinion mate, I just don't subscribe to the Darren Moore love-in, and I think he waited so long to recruit Jones, because he felt he could not do the job without him.
Did you not see the the comment from Jones that "I am in charge of the team' s play with the ball, and Darren when we do not have the ball, and that is what we agreed when I joined the club"
Speaks volumes to me and I believe the Manager should not delegate in that way.

Moore and Jones work as a team. What is wrong with that? The days where a manager pretty much ran a football club are long gone.

Moore is the main man and demonstrated that when he ditched that wretched 3-4-1-2 system.

In the modern game the art of delegation is part of good management.

Moore and Jones are doing just fine.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #229 on: December 30, 2018, 11:12:21 AM »
I feel I should point out that many others have voiced the same opinions on those obvious matters.

On the Pulis matter especially I have to disagree with you massively on that one, I was very much alone for a good while, with only Ken being another who I don’t see much of on here anymore. I wanted him gone as soon as we were confirmed to be safe the season before he eventually did go but the majority on here disagreed with me.

Yesterday was abject and lacklustre, the Leeds game aside I have seen plenty of those performances from us this season. I would just like to see us play consistently well which we should be with the squad we have. If he continues to play Brunt in midfield then there really is no defending the bloke. Such a glaringly obvious weakness every time he is picked there.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

Re: Match Officials
« Reply #230 on: December 30, 2018, 12:15:48 PM »
Really poor officials in the last two games. do we ever get 'homers' ?

Dawson should have had a penalty ?

Sending off looked a joke plus the Wigan player should have gone last wed after the 'leg breaker' on Hegazi.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #231 on: December 30, 2018, 12:18:57 PM »
The refs in this league are appalling. Like the standard of most of the teams.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 12:22:19 PM by TheJacko2000 »
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #232 on: December 30, 2018, 12:19:32 PM »
I didn't think there was enough in the Dawson incident for it to be a penalty. The sending off was given by the linesman. Ref wasn't as bad as the one against Wigan he was atrocious.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #233 on: December 30, 2018, 01:00:18 PM »

Agreed. The jump in class in every aspect between the two divisions is quite staggering.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #234 on: December 30, 2018, 01:25:10 PM »

I've got to agree with this as well, though I haven't mentioned it yet because I've been more concerned with our own player and coach failings in certain games. But 75% of this league is complete dross, and the officiating is scarily bad.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #235 on: December 30, 2018, 01:29:00 PM »
With regard to the "stamp". It happened about 3 yards to my left as I sit in the front row lower East. To me it looked like Rodriguez was trying to avoid treading on the the players leg but the player kept rolling around and moving his legs into the path of Rodriguez, I never saw any kind of stamp or flick whatsoever.
The red should get rescinded but I'm not going to hold my breath. My concern is that it will be a 3 match ban meaning we will have both him and Gayle missing for the Norwich game.

Poor performance in the first half. Why Adabarioyo put the ball out for the corner rather than a throw I'll never know but we should have defended it better. Bartley seems more interested in shirt pulling and holding at corners than watching the ball. With hindsight it would have been better to have played Adabarioyo alongside Dawson and Mears at right back.

Morrison had a poor game and maybe should have been rested instead of Phillips, Brunt was poor his dead balls were mostly wasted and Bannon ran him ragged but then Brunt isn't a CM. Livermore was the pick of the midfielders but still below par.

I saw nothing from Sako to suggest he should be starting which is disappointing as I expected more from him.  Barnes was totally anonymous in the first half and although he improved in the second half, he still needs to learn when to pass and when to shoot as he often picks the wrong choice. At least we won't have to worry about Leicester recalling him in January.

Again with hindsight we should have started HRK and left Sako on the bench.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #236 on: December 30, 2018, 01:52:08 PM »
With regard to the "stamp". It happened about 3 yards to my left as I sit in the front row lower East. To me it looked like Rodriguez was trying to avoid treading on the the players leg but the player kept rolling around and moving his legs into the path of Rodriguez, I never saw any kind of stamp or flick whatsoever.
The red should get rescinded but I'm not going to hold my breath. My concern is that it will be a 3 match ban meaning we will have both him and Gayle missing for the Norwich game.

Poor performance in the first half. Why Adabarioyo put the ball out for the corner rather than a throw I'll never know but we should have defended it better. Bartley seems more interested in shirt pulling and holding at corners than watching the ball. With hindsight it would have been better to have played Adabarioyo alongside Dawson and Mears at right back.

Morrison had a poor game and maybe should have been rested instead of Phillips, Brunt was poor his dead balls were mostly wasted and Bannon ran him ragged but then Brunt isn't a CM. Livermore was the pick of the midfielders but still below par.

I saw nothing from Sako to suggest he should be starting which is disappointing as I expected more from him.  Barnes was totally anonymous in the first half and although he improved in the second half, he still needs to learn when to pass and when to shoot as he often picks the wrong choice. At least we won't have to worry about Leicester recalling him in January.

Again with hindsight we should have started HRK and left Sako on the bench.
it seems people sitting behind the goals in the brummie and smethwick appear to have seen the incident differently to people on the sides. It definitely appeared to me that there was deliberate flick out, as soon as it happened I said he’s gone here and was shocked the ref appeared to miss it. From my view I’d be shocked if it was rescinded, my send on what camera angles are available.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #237 on: December 30, 2018, 03:56:11 PM »
it seems people sitting behind the goals in the brummie and smethwick appear to have seen the incident differently to people on the sides. It definitely appeared to me that there was deliberate flick out, as soon as it happened I said he’s gone here and was shocked the ref appeared to miss it. From my view I’d be shocked if it was rescinded, my send on what camera angles are available.

It's certainly true that we will see things differently based on angle of view.

Having watched the highlights on Quest yesterday I still don't see any stamp at all, just Rodriguez trying to get over the player, yes he makes contact with the player but I just can't see any stamping motion just Rodriguez trying to step over him. None of the Wednesday players react in an angry way to the incident which surely they would have done if they believed that Rodriguez had stamped on one of their players, also their manager thinks it was a soft decision.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #238 on: December 30, 2018, 04:11:07 PM »

Having watched the highlights on Quest yesterday I still don't see any stamp at all, just Rodriguez trying to get over the player, yes he makes contact with the player but I just can't see any stamping motion just Rodriguez trying to step over him. None of the Wednesday players react in an angry way to the incident which surely they would have done if they believed that Rodriguez had stamped on one of their players, also their manager thinks it was a soft decision.
Only seen one angle of very poor quality, but the way he puts his foot down doesn't seem to be the way you would normally if you were just trying to get clear.  I think he left a little something there deliberately, but it's worth an appeal as it wasn't a blatant "stamp".

Modified after seeing on a clear video, never a red card, must be rescinded, he hardly touched the guy.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 05:14:35 PM by mulliganstired »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #239 on: December 30, 2018, 04:42:40 PM »

It's not just seeing things differently based on angle of view, it's also perception and interpretation.

I was behind the goal toward the back and felt he was trying to avoid their player, the fact he continued to portray a partially swatted gnat following a nothing challenge (and not for the first time during the game) is not Jays fault.

In my view Jay was doing his best not to stamp on him. Unlike others on this forum and elsewhere who had similar views to myself all be it from further up or down, I interpreted things as you did. I can assure you those in my direct vicinity did too.

Once the play was called back it was obvious to me why, I just thought the linesman interpreted what occurred differently to me (unfortunately). I've seen footage of the incident online and it's only served to reinforce my initial opinion.

Hopefully the decision will be turned over on appeal.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #240 on: December 30, 2018, 05:34:25 PM »
On the Pulis matter especially I have to disagree with you massively on that one, I was very much alone for a good while, with only Ken being another who I don’t see much of on here anymore. I wanted him gone as soon as we were confirmed to be safe the season before he eventually did go but the majority on here disagreed with me.

Yesterday was abject and lacklustre, the Leeds game aside I have seen plenty of those performances from us this season. I would just like to see us play consistently well which we should be with the squad we have. If he continues to play Brunt in midfield then there really is no defending the bloke. Such a glaringly obvious weakness every time he is picked there.
If you really believe that you were some lone crusader in condemning the Pulis appointment and subsequent tenure than you are deluded.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #241 on: December 30, 2018, 06:42:08 PM »

posters regularly before yesterday "Moore never makes subs and doesn't utilize the squad enough"
Yesterday "Why did he make those changes? Why change the team?"

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #242 on: December 30, 2018, 07:14:07 PM »
posters regularly before yesterday "Moore never makes subs and doesn't utilize the squad enough"
Yesterday "Why did he make those changes? Why change the team?"

Interesting the two teams above us played the same 11 again and both lost. Some might even say it was a brave call by the manager.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #243 on: December 30, 2018, 08:37:18 PM »
If you really believe that you were some lone crusader in condemning the Pulis appointment and subsequent tenure than you are deluded.

I didn’t condemn his appointment. Was exactly what we needed on a short term basis after the bizarre appointment of Alan Irvine.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #244 on: December 30, 2018, 08:49:57 PM »
Phillips looked a bit tired in the Wigan game and probably needed the game on the bench but we did miss having him able to surge forward from midfield or wherever. When he's not there Gibbs is the only one of the back 7 who can advance with ball at feet...Morrison hasn't got the legs to do that for any period of time now. One sublime pass from Morrison into Sako but that aside he and Brunt didn't really contribute enough. We missed Barry just being available for the ball and moving the ball around quickly.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #245 on: December 30, 2018, 09:06:17 PM »
Shortly after the red, Dawson went in hard on the dying gnat , I think he will still be feeling that one ...
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #246 on: December 30, 2018, 10:09:44 PM »
I didn’t condemn his appointment. Was exactly what we needed on a short term basis after the bizarre appointment of Alan Irvine.
That was not a unique view either

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #247 on: December 30, 2018, 10:23:15 PM »
That was not a unique view either

I didn’t say it was...

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #248 on: December 30, 2018, 11:36:49 PM »
I did. I wanted him to go one minute after his appointment. In this case, a leopard doesn't change his spots. It was obvious he only knows one way to play. Not a way I ever wanted this club to be associated with.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure