Author Topic: 3 Feb 2024 Albion 1 Birmingham City 0  (Read 9144 times)

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #250 on: February 03, 2024, 09:30:11 PM »
Just a quick word for Mowatt
Hes a bit unsung on here i think he goes about his job, hes not perfect i know but he keeps us ticking over and made some important tackles today, i wish CC could just get him a little further forward he has got very good balance and is comfotable with the ball, hes got a great left foot, i wish he would get into shooting positions more often and hit the back of the net

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #251 on: February 03, 2024, 10:08:26 PM »
Did anyone else think that bham were time wasting from the get go?
Whenever a bluenose went down they stayed down for an age and their number 2 was the worst offender, pathetit

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #252 on: February 03, 2024, 11:01:44 PM »
Just got in, tried to avoid the score, logged on WBA TV and showed me the score straihgt away again!

How did we play? Who was MOTM? ANy one poor etc?

Well done Carlos, well done lads.

Poor game both teams looked flat, very few chances.

Fellows MOTM by a street.

No one particularly poor but Marshall was really underwhelming when he came on, couldn't hold the ball, made wrong decisions and looked out of his depth. It's his first appearance having only been at the club a couple of days but I'm hoping for much better going forward.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #253 on: February 03, 2024, 11:12:34 PM »

No one particularly poor but Marshall was really underwhelming when he came on, couldn't hold the ball, made wrong decisions and looked out of his depth. It's his first appearance having only been at the club a couple of days but I'm hoping for much better going forward.

Thanks Atomic, appreciate it!

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #254 on: February 04, 2024, 12:23:47 AM »
I haven’t seen the game all the highlights as yet, but followed the in game chat during the early hours of the morning over here in Australia. From all counts sounds like we didn’t play too well, but we are all happy to get the three points and move on.

Hopefully giving all the new players a bit of a go today gives Carlos some confidence in using them again against Ipswich and Cardiff. Can’t wait to see the goal and how well it was taken by Weimann.

Interesting comments in the after match debate, especially on the man of the match choices. It always amuses me when you have differing opinions. This can happen I suppose when one or two players stand out, but when people comment, Fellows man of the match by a long way or Furlong man of the match easily, you do wonder how people come to those conclusions. Surely they can’t both be man of the match by a country mile!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #255 on: February 04, 2024, 08:12:25 AM »

Interesting comments in the after match debate, especially on the man of the match choices. It always amuses me when you have differing opinions. This can happen I suppose when one or two players stand out, but when people comment, Fellows man of the match by a long way or Furlong man of the match easily, you do wonder how people come to those conclusions. Surely they can’t both be man of the match by a country mile!

Everyone has their own opinion and they are perfectly entitled to them. I sometimes wonder what people see myself but sometimes it can depend on which part of the ground people are watching from as different vantage points can offer a different perspective.

Personally, I thought Furlong did fine without standing out whereas Fellows carried a consistent threat and varied his game today. Blues resorted to fouling him three or four times to control him. He was the only threat we had up until the goal and shouldve got an assist when he made half a yard and chipped in a beautiful cross for Mowatt who somehow missed the target with a header he failed to connect properly with from about five yards. To be fair it was good tracking back by Sunjic to put Mowatt under pressure but Alex really shouldve scored.

Adrian Goldberg on his podcast nominated Jed Wallace as MOTM. I just don't see that at all.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 08:15:30 AM by Atomic »

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #256 on: February 04, 2024, 08:18:59 AM »
Everyone has their own opinion and they are perfectly entitled to them. I sometimes wonder what people see myself but sometimes it can depend on which part of the ground people are watching from as different vantage points can offer a different perspective.

Personally, I thought Furlong did fine without standing out whereas Fellows carried a consistent threat and varied his game today. Blues resorted to fouling him three or four times to control him. He was the only threat we had up until the goal and shouldve got an assist when he made half a yard and chipped in a beautiful cross for Mowatt who somehow missed the target with a header he failed to connect properly with from about five yards. To be fair it was good tracking back by Sunjic to put Mowatt under pressure but Alex really shouldve scored.

Adrian Goldberg on his podcast nominated Jed Wallace as MOTM. I just don't see that at all.
Wallace gets it for rallying the crowd after the whistle 😃
For me first half was Yokuslu and Fellows
Second half would be furlong

Question….
Did anyone other than me notice that the blouse made 4 lots of subs?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #257 on: February 04, 2024, 09:21:56 AM »
Happy with the result, but not how we played. The defence was nervous all game and it shone through. The initial forward set up was dire, even though Wallace and Fellows tried.

Funny, I thought we were comfortable at the back against a side that didn’t really offer anything going forward.

Was nice to have some genuine attacking options to come off the bench which made the difference in the end. Weimann will be a useful addition; I don’t see anyone else finishing that chance for us currently.

bournemouth baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #258 on: February 04, 2024, 09:22:39 AM »
Wallace gets it for rallying the crowd after the whistle 😃
For me first half was Yokuslu and Fellows
Second half would be furlong

Question….
Did anyone other than me notice that the blouse made 4 lots of subs?

The rules are 3 lots during the game plus one at half time so no problem with what they did

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #259 on: February 04, 2024, 09:27:45 AM »
Great to win but probably didn't do quite enough to justify the 3 points - but we'll take it and move!

Firstly, can somebody tell me how Ivan Sunjic survived being booked!? He committed at least 4/5 fouls and two of them were proper, blatant pull backs and trips. Honestly, couldn't believe my eyes.

Fellows easily M.O.T.M. Terrorised their full backs and I'm pretty sure they made a sub to try and deal with him. He's getting better by the week.

A few had off days (Swift - again - Kipre and BTA) and the passing, overall, was awful from the majority of the team.

I actually thought the choice of sub and doing them all so close to each other disjointed us but great to see Weimann doing exactly what Corberan brought him in to do. He spoke about playing him in the number 10 role, making late runs in the box and the finish looked a classic Weimann finish - instinctive.

The main thing was getting a little bit of revenge back on the Blues and that was mission complete.  ;D

Agreed. On current form he’s clearly our best attacking option.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #260 on: February 04, 2024, 11:42:42 AM »

Agree about Fellows but disagree about Marshall. Given that it was his first game for us and he had to quickly pick up the pace of the game, I thought he looked okay and will improve with more match time.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #261 on: February 04, 2024, 12:00:41 PM »
With regards to the alleged incident yesterday there is a topic in the main forum discussing this so please check the forum before posting the same discussions in multiple places and lets keep this topic purely for on the pitch discussions. To discuss the off field incident use the following topic -

https://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=28024.0
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #262 on: February 04, 2024, 12:09:32 PM »
few things from yesterday:

BTA - had one of those games where every decision he made whether it be a run or a shot was the wrong decision. could see it was affecting him all game as well and the harder he tried the worse it got.
Fellows - wow, last year i thought this kid had no future with us going the same way as Edwards and Harper. happy to be very wrong here. best player for us on the day.
Marshall - looks a busy player, he will get a few goals just from causing problems
Majority of team - looked slow for 70 minutes, maybe that was the pressure and closing down from blues however who closed us down all game

Blues tactics - very un-Mowbray like if we are comparing the Mowbray who managed us. everything blues did yesterday was everything he used to moan about in the opposition when with us.

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #263 on: February 04, 2024, 12:41:19 PM »
First of all a relief to restore a bit of pride in this fixture, being awfully embarrassing to be on the wrong end of the result I believe 5 times in a row. It was arguably one of the better performances that Blues had put in during that run of games, they looked comfortable on the ball and really pressed us well for a large portion, we looked to have a bit of a hangover from last week where we played much better. Ultimately good to immediately bounce back from last week in what was a real hard luck story and puts us in better stead in the league, this was probably the more favourable of upcoming fixtures.

The game looked set for a draw despite what I said about Blues performance, their best chances were a couple of threats from near post set piece deliveries. We did step up the intensity second half, Mowatt missed a sitter and for some reason can't place the BTA chance although know he had one. Before the game the bench looked extremely advantageous for us, the best it had looked in a while particularly on rotating on an attacking front which was needed. It was nice to see those subs made with I think varying success but it did ultimately make the difference.

In terms of general performances, and the subs, I though Yokuslu looked a class above at times, like last week. Dispelling a few pacy Blues attacks with good positioning, strength and composure. Furlong was consistent at marauding, good aerially as he usually is and an excellent assist. Weimann did nothing apart from the important bit, very instinctive, will come in handy. Johnstone looked lively and from early impressions will be the best addition. I thought Marshall looked particularly out of his depth, very much looked like the young man playing in an age category and physical ability beyond his level, it was quite alarming to see him get outpaced by one of the slow Blues CB'S after coming on. Although he did a have a nice involvement in the build up to the goal.

I vote Fellows for MOTM, I believe I forgot to mention last week how much I was hoping he would start that game with his building momentum and he looked very good when coming on, I was pleased to see him start yesterday as I feared he would be drifted to the back of the queue with the incomings. He was direct as ever, comfortable with going either side and using both feet. He picked up as the game progressed, drawing plenty of fouls and they were really struggling with him. As the subs transpired I was hoping each time he would survive the hook as he looked our liveliest threat. He survived the first few and then to be fair perhaps fatigue was a fair enough reason for him to come off at the end. One of our most exciting players at the moment and he looks relatively composed whilst doing that, taking the fouls and then going again.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #264 on: February 05, 2024, 11:22:47 AM »
I thought our performance was poor to be honest - didn't really create much and it seemed a really struggle trying to play through their press.

You can tell Mowbray is there because Blues are already looking well coached.

Happy to get over the line with three points and stop this awful record that we've had against them of late.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #265 on: February 05, 2024, 11:54:27 AM »
I agree we were poor but they were worse ! Unlike most Mowbray sides they didn’t or couldn’t show much attacking intent . Particularly disappointed in Stansfield and Dembele who have been causing trouble for most teams recently .
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #266 on: February 05, 2024, 12:35:51 PM »
Game wasn't great but 3 points is all that matters, took his goal well

My man of the match would have been Yokuslu. That guy is simply class
Baggie Terra

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #267 on: February 05, 2024, 12:38:49 PM »
Poor game generally but we owed them a defeat. Delighted when the ball hit the back of the net. And I honestly don’t care who Andi Weimann played for in the past he plays for us now. COYB  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #268 on: February 05, 2024, 02:37:58 PM »
I agree we were poor but they were worse ! Unlike most Mowbray sides they didn’t or couldn’t show much attacking intent . Particularly disappointed in Stansfield and Dembele who have been causing trouble for most teams recently .
Can't say I was disappointed at all. It was a credit to our defenders that we kept them so quiet.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #269 on: February 07, 2024, 10:09:32 PM »
Just seen the match replay, and it seemed a great atmosphere in the stadium. THink we just about deserved to win. Blues only really had the effort against the post. Pleased despite the different options, Fellows got to start. Caused them problems all game. Nice having the forward options to come on, though didn't necessarily improve the team. But good to have fresh legs. Think our defence are well coached and Palmer gives them a lot of confidence. Yokuslu is deceptive because although he is slow, his tackling and use of the ball is first class.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure