Author Topic: Mason Holgate  (Read 27644 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Mason Holgate
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2018, 12:18:52 PM »
Toffeetalk is generally positive about him (we all know how fickle fans can be right !)
After the Firminio race incident he had an injury and then a long bout of tendonitis, so game time has been virtually zero for quite a while, I doubt that he will hit the ground running, as Jacko says he is seen as a CH rather than RB and is athletic and quick if a little lightweight.

Will be interesting to see what DM has planned for him.

Maybe
Dawson   Holgate   Hegazi   Gibbs

which sounds an awful  lot better than

Dawson Hegazi  Bartlett
Mears                               Gibbs
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2018, 01:38:12 PM »
I'm almost certain Holgate is coming in to replace Tosin at right back. He's a more suitable height, more agile, quicker, better on the ball and slightly more attacking. Still not a natural RB, but Tosin is really struggling at the minute, keeps getting caught out by wingers and can't get back in time to cover.

Gibbs - Hegazi - Dawson - Holgate is the best back 4 in the league on paper.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2018, 02:06:37 PM »
Confirmed, Good news. From Moore's comments it would appear he is not the only one on the way in.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2018/december/albion-add-first-january-recruit/

Pie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Mason Holgate Signs
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2018, 02:11:31 PM »
Good start to the January window - refreshing to see us get someone in early.

I can see us signing him permanently if he does well and we get promoted as I think his chances at Everton will be limited.

Fingers crossed for a CM and striker to follow.

God luck Mason.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2018, 02:25:30 PM »
I'd be very, very surprised if DM is going to move Dawson to RB and play Holgate at CB like some on here are suggesting. Dawson has just come out and said how much he is enjoying being back at CB and his partnership with Hegazi is one of the best things about us atm.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2018, 02:27:22 PM »
Matt Wilson Twitter account

Mason Holgate opted to join West Brom on loan over Leeds and Bournemouth #wba #lufc #afcb

Sounds like a job well done by all concerned in the recruitment team, quiet, quick and completed with no fuss for a change.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2018, 02:39:46 PM »
Hopefully means I never have to watch Bartley in an Albion shirt again.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2018, 02:50:10 PM »
Matt Wilson Twitter account

Mason Holgate opted to join West Brom on loan over Leeds and Bournemouth #wba #lufc #afcb

Sounds like a job well done by all concerned in the recruitment team, quiet, quick and completed with no fuss for a change.

Just need to poach Reed from Blackburn if not a definite season long loan there and then maybe another striker.

And maybe Bowen from Hull, but very much doubt we'll spend the required amount for him.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 02:52:30 PM by BalisPen »

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2018, 02:52:08 PM »
On paper this sounds like a great addition to the squad.   More advanced in his development than Tosin he will come in at RB but may also provide us with the ability to switch from a back four to a back three when required.... Something that Bartley does not as it has been proven he can only be used in a back four.  Impressed that we got in early as Darren Moore had already enquired in the summer.  Only trash Internet I know but it does sound like Leeds and Villa we're sniffing around.   We still need a permanent signing at right back but value in January is poor and we will be hesitant to buy.  Only concern that it is a safety net signing for Daws or Hegazi but if either went it would be for BIG bucks.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2018, 02:55:28 PM »
If we could land Tavernier and Lolly now that would be a perfect January for me.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2018, 03:29:38 PM »
I know a few Everton fans and everyone has said the same thing - Holgate is a very good player but he is too weak to play centre half.

Possibly for his career to progress he needs to move to right back, learn the role and its probably better doing it half a season in the championship that a few minutes here and there in the premier league.

By all accounts he is athletic, quick, decent on the ball so quite possibly similar to Gibbs.

I still wouldnt be shocked to see us move back to the 3-5-2 at some point this season (not that i want too) and if so he can play right sided centre half or at least offer competition for it.

If we revert to three at the back I could see Tosin slotting in somewhere alongside Hegazi and Dawson, with Holgate possibly using his athletic attributes on the right to mirror Gibbs on the left. Our current midfield three of Barry, Livermore and Phillips would then stay the same with Gayle and Rodriguez up front. Add another central midfielder and forward to the mix for depth and it could prove to be a good window.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2018, 03:32:08 PM »
4-3-3

9 games
6 wins
3 draws
1st in league table over that period

Why the hell would we change the system? Not going to happen.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2018, 03:36:01 PM »
Welcome Mason hope to see you in first team soon, know a right back central midfielder and forward and business done.  :P

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2018, 03:55:35 PM »
Welcome to the Baggie's Mason & I hope it works out for you & the club.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2018, 04:06:32 PM »
4-3-3

9 games
6 wins
3 draws
1st in league table over that period

Why the hell would we change the system? Not going to happen.

Options. We've played 4-4-2, 3-4-1-2, 3-5-2, 4-2-4, 4-3-3 and any number of variants based on those mentioned during games this season. Makes me smile when posters state Darren Moore can be inflexible and lament the lack of a plan B (I'm implying that you've done so).

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2018, 04:24:00 PM »
Options. We've played 4-4-2, 3-4-1-2, 3-5-2, 4-2-4, 4-3-3 and any number of variants based on those mentioned during games this season. Makes me smile when posters state Darren Moore can be inflexible and lament the lack of a plan B (I'm implying that you've done so).
jeepers I've seen us going from back three to back four in games with centre halves been moved all over back four or three but that was only when Bartley played to be fair.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2018, 04:39:58 PM »
jeepers I've seen us going from back three to back four in games with centre halves been moved all over back four or three but that was only when Bartley played to be fair.

It's really not. With the possible exception of the Leeds game we've been doing it since the switch to 4-3-3 as and when required. We play a very flexible 4-3-3. When on the front foot or pressing we often go 3-1-2-4, 3-4-3 and 3-3-4. We've even played two at the back with Barry sitting in front when pushing forward too.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2018, 04:52:11 PM »
This is a very good signing, he's looked decent even at premier league level and is very comfortable on the ball.

I do worry about returning the back though, bringing him in won't change the fact Hegazi is horrific in that system.

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2018, 06:39:28 PM »
Welcome to The Baggies Mason - Boing, Boing!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2018, 06:40:00 PM »
Welcome Mason, a welcome signing to cover a position we've struggled to cover.
Nice to see early business being done
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2018, 07:08:44 PM »
A good positive signing

This kid can play, we have kept mears for an extra month whilst he gets up to speed
We should however not write Tosin off,he's going to be a damn good CB and his flexibility has helped us, let's not forget the club will get asked about Dawson and Hegazi
Might be a bit more exciting a window than people think
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2018, 07:15:32 PM »
I don't know where he fits in. I don't think we'll change back to a 3. He's not as good as Dawson or Hegazi and everyone I've spoken to or interacted with via social media from an Everton perspective has been at great pains to emphasise he's not a right full back.

Very odd signing imo. Hopefully he slots in at right back and is an improvement on young Tosin but it's not a given by any stretch.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2018, 07:20:22 PM »
Alan Nixon confirmed that penalty fines included for lack of game time for all Everton loans.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2018, 07:47:06 PM »
Perhaps the Hegazi injury is more serious than first thought ?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2018, 08:14:46 PM »
Reading the E+S Matt Wilson states he's been used more as a RB than CB. That maybe down to the long term Coleman injury but he's probably going to be less of a fish out of water than Toisin is there.  Moore also impressed with how he handled Rondon last year at CB so I'm pretty sure he'll be straight in at RB, very possibly first reserve for CB after Dawson and Hegazi.....and useful for the back 3 option.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill