Author Topic: Romaine Sawyers  (Read 214647 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: Romaine Sawyers
« Reply #700 on: October 27, 2020, 01:22:54 PM »
Not even in the squad tonight. Maybe Slav has seen the light with him and knows he’s not good enough
Think and hope you're wrong.  We've all seen how form dips with certain players and maybe Sawyers is going through one of those dips now. That can change. I'm sure everyone on this board can think of games when he's been top notch. At his best he links up effortlessly with the other creative players and helps play the kind of football that Billic is trying to play.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #701 on: October 27, 2020, 02:43:50 PM »
Romaine Sawyers.....  Day are numbered.

Not sure about this and agree with Baggies, perhaps he is injured and or isolating. If we do play in a similar fashion to the last 30 minutes of yesterday, ie higher up the pitch with a technical player (Krovinovic yesterday) as the deepest midfielder then Sawyers absolutely has a part to play, he is excellent at progressing the play when there are options available. He is also a viable option to be the central midfielder that drifts forward in between the lines like Krovinovic was to start yesterday and Periera was at the end.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #702 on: November 22, 2020, 02:45:50 PM »
Thought he did ok last night. Possibly his most solid game of the season. He seemed to take less chances when in position than he has previously and he kept us moving along well. Hard to judge between him and Krov though at the moment.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #703 on: November 22, 2020, 02:53:00 PM »
Sadly I don’t think he’s a premier league player. Too ponderous. He’s a footballer for sure but needs a little too long on the ball I think.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #704 on: November 22, 2020, 02:56:52 PM »
He's championship level, no better.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #705 on: November 22, 2020, 02:59:36 PM »
Sadly I don’t think he’s a premier league player. Too ponderous. He’s a footballer for sure but needs a little too long on the ball I think.

Have to agree, he is too slow of thought, too ponderous on the ball, just not good enough at this level, back up player only.
Baggie in Southampton

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #706 on: November 22, 2020, 03:11:22 PM »
Yep, decent on the ball but an absolute nightmare off it. The amount of times ive seen a ball go past his feet, not even at speed,  in his immediate vicinity and not stop it or try too winds me up.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #707 on: November 29, 2020, 12:08:57 AM »
I thought he put in a good performance today. He is very composed and has a good awareness around him, which is important in transforming defence into attack.
It looks like he is thinking what he does as opposed to those players who just blast the  ball forwards. It looks like he helps Pereira alot.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #708 on: November 29, 2020, 12:10:41 AM »
Good enough for the PL ON the ball just needs to get better off it. Improvement from previous though for sure.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #709 on: November 29, 2020, 12:14:09 AM »
Much better today. I have faith that he will do well at this level and he was excellent tonight.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #710 on: November 29, 2020, 12:34:25 AM »
Much better today. I have faith that he will do well at this level and he was excellent tonight.

No he wasnt, he was OK tonight  nothing better than that l.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #711 on: November 29, 2020, 01:13:32 AM »
His passing was excellent, numerous times he kept the ball and rotated into space intelligently with Pereira and Robinson. His positional play to close down the space in front of defence was also very good for an hour. In the last 20 minutes he fell apart. He was a defensive no show for the last ten minutes - not sure if that was down to fatigue or mentality. So a mixed bag from him overall. Fact is Sheff Utd had 22 goal attempts and an XG of over 3 which should never have been possible, that is Man City levels.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #712 on: November 29, 2020, 01:28:45 AM »
Interesting that when we concede so many shots normally the blame is put on the midfield, but not today for some reason.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #713 on: November 29, 2020, 02:32:47 AM »
His passing was excellent, numerous times he kept the ball and rotated into space intelligently with Pereira and Robinson. His positional play to close down the space in front of defence was also very good for an hour. In the last 20 minutes he fell apart. He was a defensive no show for the last ten minutes - not sure if that was down to fatigue or mentality. So a mixed bag from him overall. Fact is Sheff Utd had 22 goal attempts and an XG of over 3 which should never have been possible, that is Man City levels.

Agree he has been much better than earlier in the season and seems to be linking up well with some of our creative players. I do still feel that there are a number of times where a simple pass if often misplaced behind the player; maybe not leading to a turnover but often killing any possible forward momentum and needing us to reset.

buzzingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #714 on: November 29, 2020, 08:12:25 AM »
He was better, passed well and started a number of moves from deep. He's style of play takes alot of pressure of the defence and moves us effectively up the pitch.

I've always found him poor off the ball, unable to spot runs and follow his man. Watch the Baldock chance which he should of scored. Sawyers must see the run and does nothing, should have been 1-1 and Sawyers would have then had a bad game.

Unless he can improve on his defensive game I don't think he'll l cut it in the PL

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #715 on: November 29, 2020, 08:14:09 AM »
We know what Sawyers is, he is a deep lying playmaker who excels in ticking the ball over and progressing it up the field. He is also poor defensively in the tackle and tracking players.

It is no surprise that he looked much better tonight when he had options ahead of him to play the ball in to. He had two forwards, a number 10 and sometimes two wing backs as options to find tonight, in other games not so much and so the positive side of his game has been ineffective. It really is about systems and players.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #716 on: November 29, 2020, 10:27:37 AM »
Watched him closely last night, he was fantastic IMO. Linked with Pereira, shielded the ball well, really smart passing and progressed defence into attack a lot! Next time the box to box hustling Gallagher he is better than when he's next to Livermore who doesn't have the engine.

We still struggle though with needing a "Yacob." I'd be sacrificing one of the three central defenders for a defensive midfielder and it has to be addressed in January.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #717 on: November 29, 2020, 10:41:06 AM »
He had a great game last night. Well done Romaine, let's have lots more of that.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #718 on: November 29, 2020, 01:41:24 PM »
The last two games Sawyer's has looked a lot better , and a tad quicker too.

Seems to be given the ball less away too.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #719 on: November 29, 2020, 01:53:16 PM »
Watched him closely last night, he was fantastic IMO. Linked with Pereira, shielded the ball well, really smart passing and progressed defence into attack a lot! Next time the box to box hustling Gallagher he is better than when he's next to Livermore who doesn't have the engine.

We still struggle though with needing a "Yacob." I'd be sacrificing one of the three central defenders for a defensive midfielder and it has to be addressed in January.
I would maybe be tempted to restrict Gallagher's getting forward quite so much, that might result in a better balance - it was great what he did yesterday in a "must win", but we look so open at times it is painful, and Sawyers still stops tracking his man back too often, he let the full back go free for the one he blazed over the bar from about 10 yards.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #720 on: November 29, 2020, 02:34:40 PM »
I would maybe be tempted to restrict Gallagher's getting forward quite so much, that might result in a better balance - it was great what he did yesterday in a "must win", but we look so open at times it is painful, and Sawyers still stops tracking his man back too often, he let the full back go free for the one he blazed over the bar from about 10 yards.

YESS! A confident and on form Sawyers with Gallagher as part of our midfield, could add a bit of real quality. Gallagher, good as he is, might be far more effective if he 'times' his forward forays a bit better. Sawyers would also benefit so much if Gallagher stays deep a bit more, to  give a bit more defensive cover, instead of trying to be everywhere at once.  Playing like he does is Gallagher's natural game though, and it would be a travesty to restrict him too much.

Same with Sawyers, work-rate and defensive cover are key parts, but Sawyers strengths are also different and he should be within reason allowed to play to them.

It is as you say Mulligan, about giving us a better balance, Gallagher would also last the full 90 better if he didn't try to cover quite so much ground and let the game come to him a bit more instead of chasing it. It's probably about experience and when he gets this to add to his skill and athleticism he really is going to be some talent. We must enjoy him whilst we can.

Sawyers and Gallagher together though could form the basis of a very workable midfield for this season.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 02:50:51 PM by wodenson46 »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #721 on: December 21, 2020, 12:03:03 AM »
I thought he might have been okay at this level with his ability on the ball but I’ve seen enough. He is woeful in this division. Watching those Villa midfielders glide past him was excruciating.

He has no defensive awareness, he’s poor positionally, he can’t tackle, he looks lethargic, he doesn’t close space very well.

He’s getting a game due to the lack of other alternatives.

He’s a rolls Royce in the championship, but a broken down fiat punto in this division.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #722 on: December 21, 2020, 12:05:46 AM »
Rubbish at this level.

We have many deficiencies but by far the worst are Livermore and Sawyers utterly abject. 

The must be the 2.weakest in the division.

If SA can make only 1 signing it has to be a quality cental midfielder.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #723 on: December 21, 2020, 12:05:50 AM »
I thought he might have been okay at this level with his ability on the ball but I’ve seen enough. He is woeful in this division. Watching those Villa midfielders glide past him was excruciating.

He has no defensive awareness, he’s poor positionally, he can’t tackle, he looks lethargic, he doesn’t close space very well.

He’s getting a game due to the lack of other alternatives.

He’s a rolls Royce in the championship, but a broken down fiat punto in this division.

I think we will slowly see him disappear from the matchday squad starting with Liverpool next

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #724 on: December 21, 2020, 12:06:12 AM »
If we can get 3m back for him i'd sell him. Him and Krov are the same player.

Also thought he would do better in the PL but he seems more languid than ever and it's not on. I dont think we will see much more of him playing here. Sam wont stand for it and thats a good thing.