Author Topic: Romaine Sawyers  (Read 214580 times)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Re: Romaine Sawyers
« Reply #675 on: October 04, 2020, 09:23:28 PM »
I'm still not sure he would be worth his place in a midfield 3.  The defensive part of his game is lacking - so if you had 2 others sitting then Sawyers would be your luxury midfielder - he's not really good enough for that.  If he's 1 of the sitting players, then the defensive part will cost you.

I do think he's very good when he's on the ball - and excellent at getting out of a tight corner.
People talk about us not having much money

But imagine if we had got Barkley on loan, sold Livermore/sawyers to finance it

Robinson/Deeney

Diangana.      Krov.     Barkley.    Pererira
                           Gallagher

Not too shabby is it ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #676 on: October 04, 2020, 09:32:17 PM »

Robinson/Deeney

Gallagher

Not too shabby is it ?

Not possible either  ;)
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #677 on: October 04, 2020, 11:08:25 PM »
Not possible either  ;)

Took me a minute!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Lukeb

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #678 on: October 05, 2020, 04:45:49 AM »
I’m not saying I have the answer to his current form but when we were playing our best football last year, he was far & away our most impressive player. It probably proves how influential he is to our side.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #679 on: October 05, 2020, 10:55:13 AM »

Robinson/Deeney

Gallagher

Not too shabby is it ?

Selling is not an issue - finding a buyer is. As we have found out with several of our players this summer.

Nor would the club commit to spending such vast sums on Barkley for a seasons loan.

In any event, it does not work as you have two Chelsea loanees in your team.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #680 on: October 05, 2020, 11:41:53 AM »
Selling is not an issue - finding a buyer is. As we have found out with several of our players this summer.

Nor would the club commit to spending such vast sums on Barkley for a seasons loan.

In any event, it does not work as you have two Chelsea loanees in your team.
You and your facts 😂
I meant style and kudos of player ...rather than the exact player..
I think there is plenty out there we can and should get.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #681 on: October 05, 2020, 11:44:36 AM »

Robinson/Deeney

Gallagher

Not too shabby is it ?

Apparently the Barkley loan was rumoured to be 10 mill for 1 season. Don’t think we could sell Livermore and Sawyers to raise that kind of money 😂

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #682 on: October 05, 2020, 11:45:14 AM »
Apparently the Barkley loan was rumoured to be 10 mill for 1 season. Don’t think we could sell Livermore and Sawyers to raise that kind of money 😂
We could find the other 9😉

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #683 on: October 05, 2020, 12:02:41 PM »
You and your facts 😂
I meant style and kudos of player ...rather than the exact player..
I think there is plenty out there we can and should get.

The kudos of an England international who has been earmarked as one our best potential talents for a number of years and who may still play a prominent role in the England squad if his season at Villa Park is successful?  A creative player and powerful runner from midfield in style with a decent goal scoring record in the PL?  Yes please.   That kind of style and kudos cost's as nearly as much in loan fee as we've got to spend! :)   

That's why we are choosing from Sawyers, Livermore, Krov and Gallacher.  I get what you are saying in regards to sytle of player but its the quality that is they key.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 12:10:26 PM by Oldbury24 »

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #684 on: October 05, 2020, 01:42:48 PM »
Their first goal about summed him up for me. You catch sight of him nonchelently jogging back as Southampton break and does not reappear on screen for the whole duration of their attack. Our defensive midfielder apparently.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #685 on: October 05, 2020, 01:48:45 PM »
Their first goal about summed him up for me. You catch sight of him nonchelently jogging back as Southampton break and does not reappear on screen for the whole duration of their attack. Our defensive midfielder apparently.

This. This infuriates me EVERY week. Even our "flair" players Diang and Matheus work their socks off and chase/press mostly.
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #686 on: October 05, 2020, 02:01:42 PM »
This. This infuriates me EVERY week. Even our "flair" players Diang and Matheus work their socks off and chase/press mostly.

Honestly, could not believe what I was watching. When our move breaks down and Southampton regain posession, Djenepo is positioned in between Livermore and Sawyers, he then bursts forward, Livermore also tears back, Sawyers just jogs his way on back and is nowhere to be seen as the ball hits the net.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #687 on: October 05, 2020, 02:05:06 PM »
Good technical ability but beyond useless off the ball and no work rate. First one dropped out the midfield for me.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #688 on: October 05, 2020, 02:11:16 PM »
Good technical ability but beyond useless off the ball and no work rate. First one dropped out the midfield for me.

After the international break I hope Gallagher and Krovinovic join Livermore in a 3 man midfield.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #689 on: October 05, 2020, 02:16:56 PM »
After the international break I hope Gallagher and Krovinovic join Livermore in a 3 man midfield.

That or Field, Krov +CG but i cant see Bilic dropping the captain regardless so i think he will go for your trio.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #690 on: October 20, 2020, 06:11:41 AM »
As soon as he came on he had a shooting chance in the D and with no conviction put a weak shot over the bar then he lost the ball and made no effort to regain possession,He is too laid back and offers us nothing.
Can't tackle,no pace,no goal threat what does he do to deserve a place in the team?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #691 on: October 20, 2020, 07:03:45 AM »
Sawyers is a Championship player it's as simple as that and at his age he wont ever be any better than that.

He is another one like Phillips that needs bombing out of the squad completely emergencies excepted. No point either of these two being on the bench.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #692 on: October 20, 2020, 07:47:37 AM »
Of all our players he is the one that I would love to make his mark. I genuinely think he has the talent.

However apart from 30 mins in the first half at Everton he’s been off the pace in my view and can’t be starting at the moment.

Pelada

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #693 on: October 20, 2020, 10:28:27 AM »
As soon as he came on he had a shooting chance in the D and with no conviction put a weak shot over the bar then he lost the ball and made no effort to regain possession,He is too laid back and offers us nothing.
Can't tackle,no pace,no goal threat what does he do to deserve a place in the team?

Agreed, at this level laziness gets found out.

He can call it a laid back or languid style all he wants but he’s a fair weather footballer who isn’t prepared to do any of the hard stuff or difficult stuff that marks out top class players.

People talk about Xavi, Pirlo etc as examples of the style working- these guys were absolutely world class on the ball and surrounded by brilliant players. Romaine is and has neither. I don’t recall ever thinking “what a pass that is” from him. If he wants to play this way he probably needs to have a look at (dare I say it) Neves at the Wolves or someone like that, who contributes set pieces, long range strikes and a variety of accurate passing.

He was important to us at the start of Slavs reign to earmark that we were moving back towards possession football and he gave us a tempo for that. However he has been found out now and appears unwilling to adapt his game to become a better player.

We looked a fragile team when he came on last night IMHO. I just can’t justify his poor work rate and lack of conviction in almost everything he does.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #694 on: October 20, 2020, 12:24:27 PM »
In the Premier League he's probably better suited to be a substitute number 10 role and we aren't currently playing that system so it's hard to see where he fits in. He's a good player, i really want him to succeed but as it currently stands there are better players than him for the system we're playing and it pains me to say it because I've back him and wanted us to sign him for years but he's been losing possession far too often.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #695 on: October 20, 2020, 12:39:57 PM »
Poor work rate is mentioned above but I think a lot of what he does is under appreciated. His thing is constantly making himself available to receive the ball and keep us ticking over you need work rate to do that. I think we missed him in that respect last night.
He may well be the type who helps others play.....Pereira and Diangana were both under-par last night and I'm not sure if that's just a coincidence with Sawyers absence.
Sawyers does need to up his game a bit in certain areas for the prem but to write him off as an important member of our match-day squad at this stage is very premature.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #696 on: October 20, 2020, 12:56:34 PM »
I agree that he should not be 'written off' however I also totally agree with the decision to leave him out last night. Has just not done enough in games played so far this season and gets caught on the ball too often by the quicker thinking players who perform in the premier league. Not sure how he can improve at his age as has been said elsewhere.

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #697 on: October 26, 2020, 11:21:38 PM »
Not even in the squad tonight. Maybe Slav has seen the light with him and knows he’s not good enough
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #698 on: October 27, 2020, 06:53:43 AM »
He is better than Harper and is an option from the bench in a more advanced position. You have to imagine he is injured or self isolating.
Boing Boing

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #699 on: October 27, 2020, 07:50:45 AM »

Romaine Sawyers.....  Day are numbered.
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!