Poll

Do you want Sam to stay as manager?

Yes
103 (63.2%)
No
60 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: Sam Allardyce  (Read 610828 times)

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Sam Allardyce
« Reply #3650 on: April 07, 2021, 01:29:24 PM »
He can sit there picking his nose and swilling pints of gravy for all I care so long as we win.

And if we win he should be forced to do it every match until we lose. Might not be long, but it might just be what we need to get us over the line SmethDan. May I nominate your good self as Senior Observer to ensue compliance. 

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3651 on: April 07, 2021, 01:42:58 PM »
The observers book of Gravy swillers, 

an exclusive and rare edition!

I have a mate with a huge collection of observers books (seriously). I'll ask him about this one!  :o

Did you know that there is infact an "Observer's Book of Observer's Books"
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 01:44:49 PM by Albionic »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3652 on: April 07, 2021, 09:52:08 PM »
That med me loff.

This past year or so the forum's never been more important... and it's good to disagree as well as agree of course. What I certainly agree with is 'passion shown by manager/ coach'. Slaven bless him was full of passion but it didn't get us very far once we were in the nosebleed league.

Good to add a bit of humour now and again mate!
In my view to be successful you need to know what you are doing not so much aspire to know what you are doing.
When you are slugging it out in the position we have been in the las 10/12 years or so.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3653 on: April 07, 2021, 11:17:46 PM »
I'm not sure how he takes a more relaxed approach, being excitable & enthusiastic is part of a person's make up.
If SA has been responsible for prepping a team for a match, if difficult to see how he distances himself from the action.
I'm pretty sure he's used sports psychologists in his management methods in the past. I'd agree it's not always easy to curb your natural instincts, but maybe he sits there sometimes doing breathing exercises to keep his blood pressure and heart rate down. There's a fair amount of evidence to show such things can have a beneficial effect on stress levels.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3654 on: April 08, 2021, 10:31:21 AM »
Isn't little Sam (Lee) the one who will be consistently more animated and involved on the touch-line during the games anyway.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3655 on: April 08, 2021, 02:11:46 PM »
How managers behave on the sideline is so over blown and over analyzed. You sit and are calm, it means you don’t care or don’t know what to do. If you run around like crazy it means you show passion and really care. You could list managers over the years in both camps. What you’ll find is some are successful and some aren’t. The managers demeanour doesn’t bother me, what bothers me is results...

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3656 on: April 08, 2021, 02:13:02 PM »
I don't recall Roy Hodgson's dug-out demeanour receiving, well any scrutiny.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3657 on: April 08, 2021, 04:03:14 PM »
Wasn't very pleasant when he ripped the black armband off in anger.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3658 on: April 08, 2021, 04:22:24 PM »

remember him head butting the dug out in frustration, really funny
Albion Family !!!

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3659 on: April 08, 2021, 05:02:39 PM »
remember him head butting the dug out in frustration, really funny
Roy was a canny character...check out this video he wasn't to be crossed at times!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8y6RjLVYts
I'm sure Sam has this side to him too  ;D

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3660 on: April 08, 2021, 05:52:38 PM »
I did really love Roy as our manager...

I've been a bit of a pendulum with Big Sam, didn't want him, warmed to him, changed my mind back... but that last result surely must say something of his formula and his delight was there for all to see. Fingers crossed that we see this season out with some dignity.

Then the board need to make some firm decisions and for once not muck about or knee jerk. As they should have with Bilic, back him fully to get us back up or move on and sharpish.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3661 on: April 08, 2021, 05:53:05 PM »
Roy was a canny character...check out this video he wasn't to be crossed at times!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8y6RjLVYts
I'm sure Sam has this side to him too  ;D
not seen that before, excellent, well done Roy.
Albion Family !!!

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3662 on: April 08, 2021, 07:18:16 PM »
not seen that before, excellent, well done Roy.
I agree. He wasn’t allowed to answer a question. We’d all be ****** off in that situation.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 08:47:33 AM by LiamTheBaggie »
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3663 on: April 09, 2021, 08:32:59 AM »
I still love Roy; tons of character and integrity. He took the only job I'd forgive him for when he left, shame it wasn't his best decision.

If Big Sam stays next season I think forum opinion might become less polarised on him.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3664 on: April 09, 2021, 08:47:53 AM »
And back to Big Sam now folks..

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3665 on: April 09, 2021, 01:11:16 PM »
And back to Big Sam now folks..

I did try to steer it back....  ;)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3666 on: April 09, 2021, 10:36:10 PM »
I did try to steer it back....  ;)

You did.  :D

For what it’s worth I don’t agree. When fan bases are polarised their views are firmly entrenched and I don’t see either giving much headway on the argument.

I think we have to accept that he is going to divide the fan base regardless of what he does or doesn’t achieve here.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3667 on: April 09, 2021, 11:09:36 PM »
As long as he picks the "right" team on Monday ( lets face it, we all know the basis of the "right" team for Monday after what happened at Chelsea), then he will win some more doubters around, I feel.
If he goes back to the "must not lose" team, then a chunk more will turn against him. A draw really is no use really, with Leicester away next.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3668 on: April 10, 2021, 11:04:52 AM »
Has to play Robinson on that performance with Pereira a floating number 10,  Phillips did ok last week and was unlucky with shot that rebounded off bar. That said is there a possibility of getting Gallagher back into side by replacing Mat just for his legs, I'd be fine with that switch.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3669 on: April 10, 2021, 11:24:52 AM »
Has to play Robinson on that performance with Pereira a floating number 10,  Phillips did ok last week and was unlucky with shot that rebounded off bar. That said is there a possibility of getting Gallagher back into side by replacing Mat just for his legs, I'd be fine with that switch.

Not an easy decision for him re the team, as much as I want Robinson in I don't want him shunted out to the left wing. He needs to be in a thee supporting Diagna and Pereira. Which is bold.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3670 on: April 10, 2021, 12:22:07 PM »
As long as he picks the "right" team on Monday ( lets face it, we all know the basis of the "right" team for Monday after what happened at Chelsea), then he will win some more doubters around, I feel.........

I don't, and if it does it will only be a few. Very few. The rest will continue along the lines of 'why did it take such a supposedly brilliant tactician so long to see......' etc. ad nauseam.

Allardyce could give some of our supporters the winning ticket for a Euro Lottery rollover and it would be a case of 'why didn't he do it sooner?' or 'it feels filthy but I suppose a win's a win'.

You know it, I know it, we all know it. That's the thing about football forums. Know all's everywhere......  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3671 on: April 10, 2021, 02:57:34 PM »
I am not an Allardyce  fan. However if he picks the 'right team' and we have all been espousing something similar to the finishing team at Chelsea for a long time, then I might take a step toward acceptance. If by some miracle he does enough to keep us up, and this will require a lot of good luck, as well as good performances. If we are relegated, and if he then also shows his enthusiasm for the job, manages to keep our best outfield players, and devises a system that plays our best players in their best positions, I might - just might, be prepared to accept him for next season. I do think he is knowledgeable and capable, I know he is experienced and can be innovative. I have just never liked the man, but if he is doing well by West Bromwich Albion, then I will support the man wholeheartedly, whilst he is our manager/head coach. COYB
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 03:02:07 PM by wodenson46 »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3672 on: April 10, 2021, 05:01:08 PM »
If...... the longest two letter word in the English language.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3673 on: April 10, 2021, 06:48:47 PM »
If...... the longest two letter word in the English language.

Indeed my friend, the longest and the tallest and the broadest. The If's I used are all very big ones.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3674 on: April 12, 2021, 11:28:40 AM »
Sam: “The people who would lose their jobs are what the players are responsible for — not just their own livelihood but other people’s livelihoods."

You too Sam, you're responsible too.  We were 3 pts from safety when you arrived.