Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 640314 times)

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #1200 on: June 12, 2019, 02:42:41 PM »
Might not be Barcelona who get him, but it will be a major European team from a capital city. If he was going for football reasons, you would go to Barcelona I think?. If you go for money reasons, there are a few others...

Read a report saying since a recent European tournament where he scored loads of goals, he has been offered around Europe's top clubs by his agent. Albion are so out of this race...
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1201 on: June 12, 2019, 02:50:27 PM »

It's the biggest attraction in the world surely? Put yourself in Barry's shoes. Personally as an Albion fan I'd turn down the Liverpool's and Manchester's but Barcelona? To learn off Lionel Messi or Jake Livermore? Sometimes the opportunity is just impossible to refuse.

Yeah 100%, I said one of the biggest as I was considering Real Madrid, Juventus and then the likes of Man City (his generation will probably be all City fans now).

I think its very fair to say we wont ever see him in the WBA first team.

I would put my house on Morgan Rogers being the next one to be cherry picked.

That's the problem with the academy I guess, if a player of that age is performing exceptionally, then its likely on of the bigger clubs will take them before they get chance to be in our first team.

The best we can hope for is a couple of 'late bloomers' like Field etc,

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1202 on: June 12, 2019, 02:56:21 PM »
Morgan Rogers is an Albion fan though - I don't think Barry is. They might make a difference for Rogers.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1203 on: June 12, 2019, 03:49:21 PM »
Not sure anyone can criticise Louie Barry if he did go to Barcelona, one look at their academy compared to ours and its a no brainer, even if he doesn't make it with them the coaching he will receive will be second to none and thats no disrespect to anyone at our club.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1204 on: June 12, 2019, 03:52:08 PM »
Not sure anyone can criticise Louie Barry if he did go to Barcelona, one look at their academy compared to ours and its a no brainer, even if he doesn't make it with them the coaching he will receive will be second to none and thats no disrespect to anyone at our club.

I don't think anyone is criticising Louie, think its more a case of being annoyed at the system, one where we are starting to produce players who are doing well for the academy and national sides, and then they're being cherry picked by the big clubs.

For what it's worth if I was in Barry's situation, I would be jumping at the chance of signing for Barca.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1205 on: June 12, 2019, 04:00:49 PM »
I don't think anyone is criticising Louie, think its more a case of being annoyed at the system, one where we are starting to produce players who are doing well for the academy and national sides, and then they're being cherry picked by the big clubs.

For what it's worth if I was in Barry's situation, I would be jumping at the chance of signing for Barca.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't seen any criticism on here, just making the point. I guess the vast majority of clubs are in this situation now and I can only see it getting worse.

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1206 on: June 12, 2019, 04:10:40 PM »
If Barcelona do really come in for Barry then I think its very likely he will go there. The only thing about Barcelona's academy is I believe they run it a little different to academies here as they have over 300 youth players in their academy spread over a few teams. I hope the fact he might be just another number they put in the mixer trying to reproduce Xavi, Iniesta, Messi etc. and that he would have to completely change his environment at such a young age might put him off? Probably not, but here's hoping

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1207 on: June 21, 2019, 04:06:57 PM »
Does anyone know whether Dara O'Shea will feature this season/is he good enough yet? He's 20 but played 27 games for Exeter in League 2 last season who finished 9th.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1208 on: June 21, 2019, 04:38:12 PM »
Does anyone know whether Dara O'Shea will feature this season/is he good enough yet? He's 20 but played 27 games for Exeter in League 2 last season who finished 9th.

Well he had a solid season with Exeter in league 2, his contract had a year in our favour which we used. We should look to tie him down for abit longer and see if we can get him a loan in league 1 to continue his development.

The likes of leko also needs a season at league one possibly Wilson again.

I would say Kyle Edwards but the squad is quite thin and he looked handy when he was used so deserves a go imo
O Albion we love you

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1209 on: June 21, 2019, 06:45:22 PM »
maybe, I don’t know if Fitzwater is still ahead though. Didn’t have a great season at Walsall but looking at the results they struggled much more without him playing after January. Also had a strong loan the season before with both seasons in league 1. Jack tends to be forgotten with all the attention Dara gets.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1210 on: June 21, 2019, 06:52:33 PM »
Well he had a solid season with Exeter in league 2, his contract had a year in our favour which we used. We should look to tie him down for abit longer and see if we can get him a loan in league 1 to continue his development.

The likes of leko also needs a season at league one possibly Wilson again.

I would say Kyle Edwards but the squad is quite thin and he looked handy when he was used so deserves a go imo

He looked great in the few games he played and I'd put him ahead of Leko - hopefully he can be a regular from the bench. Agree with Leko and league 1.

Also I have to admit I'd forgotten about Fitzwater.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1211 on: June 25, 2019, 04:05:32 PM »
Lots of talk of Louie Barry, but has anyone seen or heard if the other 'big name' Morgan Rogers signed a deal yet?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1212 on: June 27, 2019, 02:04:17 PM »
I think it's a MASSIVE (hope that emphasises it enough) season for Field, Edwards, Burke, Leko, Fitzwater and Max Melbourne. If they don't properly break through this season I don't think they will be here the following season.

O'Shea is only just 20, that's very young for a centre back so I'd give him a years grace despite him doing really well at Exeter.

The likes of Tulloch, Wilson, Rogers are still in their teens so still early for them. Louie Barry is barely sixteen so he's a baby.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1213 on: June 27, 2019, 02:18:39 PM »
I think it's a MASSIVE (hope that emphasises it enough) season for Field, Edwards, Burke, Leko, Fitzwater and Max Melbourne. If they don't properly break through this season I don't think they will be here the following season.

O'Shea is only just 20, that's very young for a centre back so I'd give him a years grace despite him doing really well at Exeter.

The likes of Tulloch, Wilson, Rogers are still in their teens so still early for them. Louie Barry is barely sixteen so he's a baby.
Melbourne won’t make it and I’d guess be replaced by George Harmon or Zak Delaney as the academy left back option next season

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1214 on: June 27, 2019, 02:29:07 PM »
Melbourne won’t make it and I’d guess be replaced by George Harmon or Zak Delaney as the academy left back option next season

I don't think Leko or Fitzwater will either.

I do think if there is one man that can get a tune out of Leko though it's Bilic.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1215 on: June 27, 2019, 02:33:46 PM »

I don't think Leko or Fitzwater will either.

I do think if there is one man that can get a tune out of Leko though it's Bilic.

the problem with Leko is that he doesn't have a brain. unfortunately you can't teach that.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1216 on: June 27, 2019, 02:35:09 PM »
the problem with Leko is that he doesn't have a brain. unfortunately you can't teach that.

I do tend to agree. He doesn't have the on the ball quality either. He's a trickster rather than a footballer.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 02:37:45 PM by Atomic »

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1217 on: June 27, 2019, 04:49:57 PM »
I don't think Melbourne will make it as a professional either. Fitzwater will probably be a steady player at a lower level, while Leko depends on his attitude - but after his display against Villa, I don't think he will.

Edwards looks like a player who will blow hot and cold. Probably Field is the best bet for a steady squad presence over the next few years.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1218 on: July 03, 2019, 01:33:30 PM »
Matt Wilson Twitter Account

George Harmon, captain of the FA Youth Cup team that reached the semi-finals, has signed his first professional contract at #wba. Two-year deal for the 18-year-old left-back. Others from that team also due to sign pro contracts

Good news keeps coming
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1219 on: July 05, 2019, 12:15:48 PM »
Louie Barry has rejected our offer and left the club.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1220 on: July 05, 2019, 12:28:17 PM »
thats a shame, oh well we may never hear his name again or he may become the best player ever, out of our hands now.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1221 on: July 05, 2019, 12:37:52 PM »
Very annoying but absolutely nothing the club could do.

Until the laws are changed this sort of thing will continue to happen.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1222 on: July 05, 2019, 12:39:04 PM »

Cant blame the kid, the weekly wage he is set to pick up at PSG for the length of his career will set him up financially even if he doesn't make a success out of his footballing career.

There was no way the club could compete with the PSG offer.

All the best kid.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1223 on: July 05, 2019, 01:15:35 PM »
Where does it say that? And if true why are the club wasting their time with academy these kids don't give a pooh about who spotted them and who developed them.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1224 on: July 05, 2019, 01:25:10 PM »
There should be a rule that means any player developed for so long at a club is subject to a % of future transfers up to a certain age. It's the only fair way I can think of doing it. Clubs get paid based on how the player develops. Something along those lines