15 (21.4%)
Top half (6th-12th)
1 (1.4%)
Bottom half (13th-21st)
0 (0%)
Relegation
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Final League Position?  (Read 14145 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Final League Position?
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2020, 11:14:33 PM »
I’m going to stick my neck out and predict Leeds will still win the league this year. If they change their keeper (they have some interesting reserve keepers), plus integrate their new striker, I think they will prove they are the best team in the league.

I hope to God we get second place, but I worry at the moment that we have lost our edge. I’m saying 4th place for us.
Boing Boing

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2020, 07:19:35 AM »
Almost impossible to call at the moment. For me its between us, Leeds, Fulham, Brentford and Forest for the top two. It depends who puts the best run together. Brentford, Forest and Fulham currently in the best form but us and Leeds in the pole position at the moment. It is for us to lose still. I really hope we can go on another good run now. Should we do that I believe we can put distance between ourselves and the pack again. There are often surprising results towards the end of the season where sides at the bottom pick up.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2020, 07:46:46 AM »
Hard to say. I think Forest won't quite manage top 2 so I'd say it's between us, Leeds, Fulham and Brentford.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2020, 08:40:48 AM »
I’m going to stick my neck out and predict Leeds will still win the league this year. If they change their keeper (they have some interesting reserve keepers), plus integrate their new striker, I think they will prove they are the best team in the league.

I hope to God we get second place, but I worry at the moment that we have lost our edge. I’m saying 4th place for us.

Augustin has scored 1 goal in 13 games for Monaco and that was in the French league cup. I'm not sure he's going to get the goals they need. Is he an improvement on Bamford?

Once we have Diangana and Gibbs fit I think we too will seriously improve.
However in Robinson we look to have someone who can cross and shoot with accuracy and Grosicki will improve us further (even if just as an option off the bench).

It'll be interesting to see how Robinson links with Periera.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2020, 09:08:59 AM »
Next three games are key, if we can prove that the slump is over and get 7 points minimum, I think we will go on to finish top 2 and probably win it. We have brought in good additions and have real quality to come back in Pereira and Diangana. Still concerns about keeper and midfield duo, but we should have the firepower to outscore the opposition.
Amazing what a scrappy win, against poor opposition, can do for the confidence but, as I have always admitted, I am incredibly fickle!!
Just hope the manager and players feel the same boost!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2020, 12:34:12 PM »
Augustin has scored 1 goal in 13 games for Monaco and that was in the French league cup. I'm not sure he's going to get the goals they need. Is he an improvement on Bamford?

Once we have Diangana and Gibbs fit I think we too will seriously improve.
However in Robinson we look to have someone who can cross and shoot with accuracy and Grosicki will improve us further (even if just as an option off the bench).

It'll be interesting to see how Robinson links with Periera.

We certainty have the personnel to go up now, even with Diangana, Gibbs and Ferguson out, we have some very strong options and probably the strongest bench in the league. I just have doubts that we will recover from such a dramatic slump.

As for Augustin, his time in France suggests he has lost his way, but ligue 1 is a notoriously difficult league to score goals in and he is still very young. 2 years ago he hit double figures in the Bundesliga, so a step down to the championship, for a team that creates more chances than any other in the league might be just what he needs. It is 50/50 whether he finds his feet for me, but as a french under 21 international, if he does figure the league out quickly, his "ceiling" is probably higher than any other player in the championship.
Boing Boing

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2020, 02:37:33 PM »
Just put together a predictor and have us joint 2nd on 83 with Brentford (didn't go down to GD level)
Pos   Team   Predicted
1   Leeds    84
2   WBA            83
3   Brentford    83
4   Fulham    80
5   Forest    77
6   Bristol City  72
7   Swansea    70
8   Preston    65

54hines

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2020, 09:45:18 PM »
All depends on our defence performs, champions very rarely concede as many goals as we do. Many times this season and last we give very soft goals away which immediately puts pressure on ourselves to score two or three, this was an issue last year but was masked by the fact we had Rodriguez and Gayle . Sometimes you are not going to score more than one in a game and if the defence does it’s job that’s enough to win the game.
Personally still think we have enough in our locker especially if we can get pierra,digana, Roberts back on form to get automatic promotion hopefully champions as unfortunately I don’t think our defence is going to massively improve this season at least.
A footballing cliche (can’t remember who first said it ) that forwards win you matches but defenders win you championships, but never a truer word in Albion’s case as I feel that it won’t be goals scored but goals against that will define our season

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2020, 10:51:43 PM »
All depends on our defence performs, champions very rarely concede as many goals as we do. Many times this season and last we give very soft goals away which immediately puts pressure on ourselves to score two or three, this was an issue last year but was masked by the fact we had Rodriguez and Gayle . Sometimes you are not going to score more than one in a game and if the defence does it’s job that’s enough to win the game.
Personally still think we have enough in our locker especially if we can get pierra,digana, Roberts back on form to get automatic promotion hopefully champions as unfortunately I don’t think our defence is going to massively improve this season at least.
A footballing cliche (can’t remember who first said it ) that forwards win you matches but defenders win you championships, but never a truer word in Albion’s case as I feel that it won’t be goals scored but goals against that will define our season

Think I've said previously, only 4 teams have conceded less than us
Brentford 8 less
Leeds 4 less
Forest 3 less
Fulham 1 less

No one has scored more goals than us.

With the January additions, I'm confident we have enough for a top 2 spot.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2020, 11:41:17 PM »
Think I've said previously, only 4 teams have conceded less than us
Brentford 8 less
Leeds 4 less
Forest 3 less
Fulham 1 less

No one has scored more goals than us.

With the January additions, I'm confident we have enough for a top 2 spot.
Those four with better defensive records are though the four teams immediately behind us and now breathing down our necks. Three points between the five sides as we sit here tonight.

I’d say I’m hopeful but I’m not confident - this is such a competitive league and we’ve only beaten Luton (who’ve lost 9 of the last 11) in almost 2 months.

But I very much hope you’re right and your confidence proves justified.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2020, 06:36:50 AM »
We've missed Grady and  Pereira, get these two back in and hopefully the new additions gel, then we should have enough for a top two spot.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2020, 08:20:17 AM »
If this game goes ahead today it’s a must win if we want the top two. Otherwise I see a similar situation to last year where it slipped out of our hands (Which happened after Sheffield United last Feb). 

The next week is make or break. We could be back on form and in poll position or we could extend terrible form to a quarter of a season.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2020, 08:34:21 AM »
I don't get how today is a must win. We are top of the league and whatever the result today we remain top of the league after this round of games.

Of course a win is most desirable but you cant have a must win when failure to do so doesn't alter your placing in the table ...... surely?

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2020, 08:40:56 AM »
I don't get how today is a must win. We are top of the league and whatever the result today we remain top of the league after this round of games.

Of course a win is most desirable but you cant have a must win when failure to do so doesn't alter your placing in the table ...... surely?

It’s momentum. It’s the Wigan result not being a flash in the pan and Bilic being able to turn it around.

Otherwise I don’t see how anyone can believe we will suddenly change from a team that has been extremely poor for a quarter of a season, to suddenly keeping pace with the best in the league.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2020, 08:57:55 AM »
It’s momentum. It’s the Wigan result not being a flash in the pan and Bilic being able to turn it around.

Otherwise I don’t see how anyone can believe we will suddenly change from a team that has been extremely poor for a quarter of a season, to suddenly keeping pace with the best in the league.

It still isnt a must win though is it? If we lose today then win at Reading in midweek then we head into the Forest game still top and on the back of a win. A defeat today doesn't write off our season.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2020, 09:06:52 AM »

It still isnt a must win though is it? If we lose today then win at Reading in midweek then we head into the Forest game still top and on the back of a win. A defeat today doesn't write off our season.

If you take a snapshot of the table no. I know this is an exaggeration but a snapshot of the prem table in August suggest Norwich have as much chance of winning the league as everyone else.

The truth will be though that over the last 10 games or so, Forest, Fulham and Brentford have all take around 12 points more than we have. Over the 14 remaining games they will need to take just 4 more than we do, and they all play us.

There will be very little reason to see us winning that battle, other than blind faith.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2020, 11:19:26 AM »
If you take a snapshot of the table no. I know this is an exaggeration but a snapshot of the prem table in August suggest Norwich have as much chance of winning the league as everyone else.

The truth will be though that over the last 10 games or so, Forest, Fulham and Brentford have all take around 12 points more than we have. Over the 14 remaining games they will need to take just 4 more than we do, and they all play us.

There will be very little reason to see us winning that battle, other than blind faith.

I disagree, once we get over taken I think it will be such a massive blow and can’t see us recovering.

Today is a must win.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2020, 11:25:07 AM »
In benign weather conditions, I'd have backed us to win today.
In these conditions the game will be a lottery, the ball will move about all over the place.
A loss or a win is unlikely to define the rest of our season.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2020, 11:49:34 AM »

I disagree, once we get over taken I think it will be such a massive blow and can’t see us recovering.

Today is a must win.

I think you are agreeing with me!

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2020, 11:52:53 AM »
Dont care where we finish as long as its 1st or 2nd

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2020, 05:42:57 AM »
Time to bump this thread.  Here are our last 14 games:

Forest (H)
Bristol (A)
Preston (H)
Wigan (H)
Swansea (A)
Birm City (H)
Brentford (A)
Sheff Wed (A)
Hull (H)
Derby (H)
Blackburn (A)
Fulham (H)
Huddersfield (A)
QPR (H)

A possible 42 points on offer, so how many do we get by the end?

Interestingly we play teams in the top half of the comp 7 times and the same figure in the bottom half of the comp.

Can we get to 90 points?

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2020, 09:46:38 AM »
What do we think. 25ish points to guarantee top 2? Keeping in mind we play a few of the other contenders.

8/9 wins few draws few losses?
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2020, 09:56:51 AM »
Having a bit of a flick through previous years...

Since 01-02 season

Highest: first place - 106 points, second place - 93 points, third place - 89 points
Lowest: first place - 81 points, second place - 79 points, third place - 75 points

Average: first place - 94 points, second place - 88 points, third place - 83 points

I reckon 85 will be enough for automatic this year given that the teams below us would need to win 10 of their remaining 14 games to reach 86 points, therefore we are looking at 23 more points from our remaining 14 games.

8 wins, 6 losses
7 wins, 2 draws, 5 losses   

Should both see us go up. Easily achievable given the fixtures ahead, and the strength and depth of our squad. I am very optimistic about our prospects. I actually think we will go up as champions on around 90 points.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:00:32 AM by richjonawba »

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2020, 10:08:41 AM »
I reckon 85 will be enough for automatic this year given that the teams below us would need to win 10 of their remaining 14 games to reach 86 points, therefore we are looking at 23 more points from our remaining 14 games.
Based on this estimate Sheffield away could well be the clincher but given our occasional propensity to blip I think I must prioritise getting in for tickets for every remaining away game 'just in case'
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2020, 11:38:55 AM »

Since 01-02 season

Highest: first place - 106 points, second place - 93 points, third place - 89 points
Lowest: first place - 81 points, second place - 79 points, third place - 75 points

Average: first place - 94 points, second place - 88 points, third place - 83 points

8 wins, 6 losses
7 wins, 2 draws, 5 losses   

Should both see us go up. Easily achievable given the fixtures ahead, and the strength and depth of our squad. I am very optimistic about our prospects. I actually think we will go up as champions on around 90 points.
My updated predictions based on this week's results.

Pos   Team   Predicted
1   WBA           85
2   Leeds   84
3   Fulham   83
4   Brentford   81
5   Forest   76
6   Preston   70
7   Bristol City 69
8   Swansea   65