Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez Joins Burnley  (Read 360896 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #525 on: December 10, 2017, 01:36:39 PM »
I am far from convinced by Rodriguez but I do agree he needs to played through the middle and if we do there we need to pass the ball to feet in and around the box and get up and support him in decent numbers.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #526 on: December 12, 2017, 02:08:16 PM »
HRK getting alot of stick even though Jay Rod cost 12 million and has been even worse. Time to step up and save your PL career..

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #527 on: December 12, 2017, 03:30:17 PM »
After the promise of the first few games, he's gone badly off the boil. His problem is it's not clear whether he's a winger, no.10, centre forward or what?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #528 on: December 12, 2017, 04:12:36 PM »
After the promise of the first few games, he's gone badly off the boil. His problem is it's not clear whether he's a winger, no.10, centre forward or what?

He's a centre forward, but he's been crippled by injury, sadly he's just not good enough/sharp enough in any of the positions you've mentioned. He doesn't have an outstanding attribute, he's not got real pace, isn't strong, not a technical player (the song we sing about him doesn't remotely scan for example), poor in the air and not a clinical finisher. He's an all rounder that would suit a Championship team where you get 7 - 10 good chances a game.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #529 on: December 12, 2017, 04:22:57 PM »
Needs to play up top for me, not on the wing.
We desperately need someone in the middle of the park who can show a bit of composure on the ball and pick a pass. Of all our midfielders none fit the bill other than maybe Barry, but he is very leggy. Until we address this issue, whoever's up top will struggle.
Our best option at the moment is getting proper wingers on so has to be Brunt, Phillips or Burke, all the others are too predictable and lack quality.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #530 on: December 12, 2017, 10:49:57 PM »

He's a centre forward, but he's been crippled by injury, sadly he's just not good enough/sharp enough in any of the positions you've mentioned. He doesn't have an outstanding attribute, he's not got real pace, isn't strong, not a technical player (the song we sing about him doesn't remotely scan for example), poor in the air and not a clinical finisher. He's an all rounder that would suit a Championship team where you get 7 - 10 good chances a game.
There are quite a few clinical finishes and headers in the compilation clips below:

Rodriguez (Southampton)
Rodriguez (Burnley)

I appreciate that he's had a very bad injury since the above took place, but to me the goals in the videos suggest that he's at his most effective when running on to through balls. I imagine he's barely had a through ball played to him all season, but AP will inevitably look to play to Rodriguez's strengths and start trying to get him onto the end of some through balls. If that happens and he keeps missing, criticise him by all means, but we've got a player here who scored 17 goals in 39 games in the Premier League in 2013-14, so to infer he's no better than Championship standard isn't justified really.

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #531 on: December 13, 2017, 12:47:59 AM »
There are quite a few clinical finishes and headers in the compilation clips below:

Rodriguez (Southampton)
Rodriguez (Burnley)

I appreciate that he's had a very bad injury since the above took place, but to me the goals in the videos suggest that he's at his most effective when running on to through balls. I imagine he's barely had a through ball played to him all season, but AP will inevitably look to play to Rodriguez's strengths and start trying to get him onto the end of some through balls. If that happens and he keeps missing, criticise him by all means, but we've got a player here who scored 17 goals in 39 games in the Premier League in 2013-14, so to infer he's no better than Championship standard isn't justified really.

go look at some of Rondon's best play at the club, this will shock you really: they come when he's played through or facing the goal.

Pulis was a plague. I can't fault AP if it's going to take him a while to get this sorted out.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #532 on: December 13, 2017, 01:54:11 PM »

Rodriguez (Southampton)
Rodriguez (Burnley)

At Burnley he was playing a league below and at Saints he had some very good creative, pacey players around him (Lalana and yes Lambert at the top of his game holding up play well for example). He can finish for sure but his best football was four years ago. I'd like to see what he can do if/ when we play more on the front foot now but he needs to find some form or else I can see him dropping down into the championship - maybe with us!?

Jordie1471

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #533 on: December 13, 2017, 03:33:22 PM »
Have two Southampton fan friends down here and they both had the same thoughts when we signed him

'Hes ok but he's not worth the money you paid for him'

In hindsight I wish we had used the combined money we spent on J-Rod + Burke (So like around £25 mill) and gone out and signed a marque number 9

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #534 on: December 13, 2017, 06:33:13 PM »
Have two Southampton fan friends down here and they both had the same thoughts when we signed him

'Hes ok but he's not worth the money you paid for him'

In hindsight I wish we had used the combined money we spent on J-Rod + Burke (So like around £25 mill) and gone out and signed a marque number 9
Hear what your saying but £25 might get you Troy Deeney, a truly marquee cf will be nearer £40m, unless we turn up a foreign gem
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #535 on: December 14, 2017, 12:25:38 AM »
Again tonight showed why he's neither clinical... nor a defensive (or indeed any type of) winger.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #536 on: December 14, 2017, 07:55:09 PM »

Rodriguez (Southampton)
Rodriguez (Burnley)

Anyone can look good on a highlight reel though. What those don't show is the 89 minutes where the player did nothing. If he then doesn't score in that other minute, we're all left questioning him as we are now.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #537 on: December 15, 2017, 02:20:30 PM »
Interestingly today Pardew has described Rodriguez as a "no.10 at this football club" in his pre-match press conference. we were told prior to Pardew's arrival that he likes to play a 4-2-3-1 with a no.10 that gets close to and goes beyond the striker so maybe Rodriguez will be that man. it does beg the question however why we haven't yet setup in a formation with a no.10 (although you could argue the second half 442 against Palace was this with Rodriguez just off of Rondon) and also where he sees Chadli playing.

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #538 on: December 15, 2017, 03:41:52 PM »
Can't say I agree, a #10 should a shiftier player with more vision and creativity. J is a striker.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #539 on: December 17, 2017, 04:28:29 PM »
sad to say bloke isnt good enough missed another chance inside the box today.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #540 on: December 17, 2017, 04:31:18 PM »
One of few negatives so far under Pardew for me , sadly just doesn't look up to it . Hope we see something soon.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #541 on: December 17, 2017, 04:40:48 PM »
I said on here at the time, why are we taking a Southampton cast-off? Because he's not foreign and he works 'aard. Not sure where he fits in tbh, thought he'd be decent back-up to Rondon but he's missing decent chances every game.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 04:43:49 PM by wba_1996 »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #542 on: December 17, 2017, 04:44:18 PM »
I have a mate who is a Southampton fan who swears Rodriguez is quality in the number ten role.

Perhaps he's not fully recovered from his injury problems or perhaps it's a lack of confidence but I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #543 on: December 27, 2017, 11:01:49 AM »
Can anyone tell me why we spent £12m on this guy?

Reminds me of Markus Rosenberg every passing week.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #544 on: January 13, 2018, 05:50:59 PM »
Reported to the FA, no confirmation of racism but hard to see anything else Bong would have cause to report.

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #545 on: January 13, 2018, 05:54:54 PM »
Would be surprised to see the son of somebody who emigrated here use racial slurs tbh

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #546 on: January 13, 2018, 05:55:14 PM »
It looked like he told him his breath stunk from the replay I saw haha

PortsmouthBaggie

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #547 on: January 13, 2018, 06:07:48 PM »
Yeah pinched his nose and wafted as if he stank. Pointing out poor personal hygiene can't be racist even in 2018 can it?

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #548 on: January 13, 2018, 07:45:52 PM »
Their right back didn't help running the length of the pitch to get in the referee's face

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #549 on: January 13, 2018, 07:49:57 PM »
Their right back didn't help running the length of the pitch to get in the referee's face
I think Bruno actually went over as mediator/ translator. Certainly didn’t look like he went over for anything nasty.