Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez Joins Burnley  (Read 363261 times)

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #325 on: June 29, 2017, 08:32:12 PM »
What!? Im sorry but have you ever seen Rodriguez play? That comment has completley threw me.

Shhhh, don't disturb the Troll. Just observe them in their natural habitat.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #326 on: June 29, 2017, 08:50:14 PM »
got a 1/4 strike rate at premier league level, played 104 times scoring 26 goals.
fractionally better than Rondon who has scored 17 goals in 71 matches

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #327 on: June 29, 2017, 09:06:36 PM »
Probably because he's injury-prone, way overpriced and 4th choice for a club we are supposed to be in direct competition with.

Add in the fact that he is not a Pulis-type striker and would probably be less effective than Rondon when he's getting balls lumped at his throat and the thought of spunking 1/3 of our transfer budget on him doesn't make me jump for joy.

Would love it if we got more not-Pulis type players in.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #328 on: June 29, 2017, 10:16:28 PM »
got a 1/4 strike rate at premier league level, played 104 times scoring 26 goals.
fractionally better than Rondon who has scored 17 goals in 71 matches
Depends where you get your stats from. In actual fact Rodriguez played a total of 885 minutes Premier league last season, scoring 5 goals and making 2 assists. Substantially better stats than Rondon i would say.
For the record Salomon played 2896 minutes for his 8 goals and 2 assists.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #329 on: June 29, 2017, 10:26:14 PM »
Depends where you get your stats from. In actual fact Rodriguez played a total of 885 minutes Premier league last season, scoring 5 goals and making 2 assists. Substantially better stats than Rondon i would say.

Wait til J-Rod gets in a Pulis team, that'll sort out his goal per minute ratio...

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #330 on: June 29, 2017, 10:34:46 PM »
Wait til J-Rod gets in a Pulis team, that'll sort out his goal per minute ratio...
Or you could look at it another way and say that our medical team could really improve his stats, but no...... easier to bash Pulis.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #331 on: June 29, 2017, 10:40:29 PM »
Probably because he's injury-prone, way overpriced and 4th choice for a club we are supposed to be in direct competition with.

Add in the fact that he is not a Pulis-type striker and would probably be less effective than Rondon when he's getting balls lumped at his throat and the thought of spunking 1/3 of our transfer budget on him doesn't make me jump for joy.

So we basically shouldn't be trying to sign any strikers then because of our head coach?

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #332 on: June 29, 2017, 10:40:55 PM »
Or you could look at it another way and say that our medical team could really improve his stats, but no...... easier to bash Pulis.

Just wondering... have you seen us play during the past year? If you were a premier league attacking midfielder or striker, could you pick a worse team to sign for than us?

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #333 on: June 29, 2017, 10:43:12 PM »
they are his total official prem league stats not one season. ::)

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #334 on: June 29, 2017, 10:55:18 PM »

So we basically shouldn't be trying to sign any strikers then because of our head coach?

No, we should be trying to sign strikers that suit his style of football. What is an isolated Jay Rodriguez going to offer that an isolated Salomon Rondon can't?

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #335 on: June 29, 2017, 10:59:54 PM »
No, we should be trying to sign strikers that suit his style of football. What is an isolated Jay Rodriguez going to offer that an isolated Salomon Rondon can't?

That's the issue though. We already tried that with Rondon and it hasn't exactly worked very well either. Maybe a new striker might prompt a bit of a change in style

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #336 on: June 29, 2017, 11:07:38 PM »
Just wondering... have you seen us play during the past year? If you were a premier league attacking midfielder or striker, could you pick a worse team to sign for than us?
Yes I am a season ticket holder , and there are 10 teams worse than us

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #337 on: June 29, 2017, 11:11:26 PM »
Rodrigues would improve us BUT only if he's played in his rightful position or we could end up with another Chadli where he's wasted.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #338 on: June 29, 2017, 11:49:35 PM »
they are his total official prem league stats not one season. ::)
Yes but 38 of those 104 games have been as sub and many of them for only a few minutes

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #339 on: June 30, 2017, 12:15:13 AM »
That's the issue though. We already tried that with Rondon and it hasn't exactly worked very well either. Maybe a new striker might prompt a bit of a change in style
.       .Who's to say we won't play both up front , TP has said he  might change our set up if he can get the right players in

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #340 on: June 30, 2017, 07:50:33 AM »
A real worry is why is he not good enough for the Saints?
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #341 on: June 30, 2017, 08:08:46 AM »
Yes but 38 of those 104 games have been as sub and many of them for only a few minutes
why is that? a player who is on the subs bench 40% of the time suggests he's not good enough to get a starting place or coming back from injury regularly.
got no agenda about the player but we need first team players who improve the frontline by playing regularly and  scoring more than our currant strikers, fingers crossed if he signs he does that.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #342 on: June 30, 2017, 08:28:43 AM »
A real worry is why is he not good enough for the Saints?

it's not always that someone isn't good enough, it could be that they don't suit a managers particular style of play.
being "not good enough" doesn't mean they won't be good at another team.
maybe Southampton are letting him go as they have a surplus of strikers and want to free up funds? They may have decided that the striker they want to get rid of is the one that has had a serious injury.

As for this notion that he isn't a Pulis type player how come the interest is driven by Pulis (he has said in a few interviews that he'd like to get him)? is Pulis identifying and trying to sign non Pulis type players now?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:33:13 AM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #343 on: June 30, 2017, 09:14:38 AM »
it's not always that someone isn't good enough, it could be that they don't suit a managers particular style of play.
being "not good enough" doesn't mean they won't be good at another team.
maybe Southampton are letting him go as they have a surplus of strikers and want to free up funds? They may have decided that the striker they want to get rid of is the one that has had a serious injury.

As for this notion that he isn't a Pulis type player how come the interest is driven by Pulis (he has said in a few interviews that he'd like to get him)? is Pulis identifying and trying to sign non Pulis type players now?

I agree that just because a player isn't getting game time at a club doesn't make him a bad player. In this instance Rodriguez did play for Southampton last season, but in circumstances where a player had virtually zero minutes particularly when they are in their 30' s I'd be very concerned about the signing. 

Southampton are above all else a trading club which the buying and selling of players is central to their model. They don't let players go into the last year of their contract either they sign an extension or they sell them and Rodriguez falls into that category. 

However as Pulis buying unpulis like players he does. Chester was never a Pulis centre half and no one could figure it out at the time but then it came apparent that he bought him as full back. Chadli is another and that is hardly a success.

Jay Rodriguez is not the typical lone centre forward which is why I don't think Pulis will buy him with that role in mind which is why I also think/hope there is another forward in the pipeline. It is also why I think Chadli might leave in part to fund it but also because his languid skills really aren't utilised in a Pulis side.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #344 on: June 30, 2017, 09:38:44 AM »
I agree that just because a player isn't getting game time at a club doesn't make him a bad player. In this instance Rodriguez did play for Southampton last season, but in circumstances where a player had virtually zero minutes particularly when they are in their 30' s I'd be very concerned about the signing. 

Southampton are above all else a trading club which the buying and selling of players is central to their model. They don't let players go into the last year of their contract either they sign an extension or they sell them and Rodriguez falls into that category. 

However as Pulis buying unpulis like players he does. Chester was never a Pulis centre half and no one could figure it out at the time but then it came apparent that he bought him as full back. Chadli is another and that is hardly a success.

Jay Rodriguez is not the typical lone centre forward which is why I don't think Pulis will buy him with that role in mind which is why I also think/hope there is another forward in the pipeline. It is also why I think Chadli might leave in part to fund it but also because his languid skills really aren't utilised in a Pulis side.

Rodriguez is 27 not in his 30's.

With regard to Chester; Pulis bought him as you rightly say to play as a fullback, that in itself is a very Pulis thing to do; convert centre halves into Fullbacks (or at least try to).

My (rather glib) point was that any player Pulis wants, must be by definition, a Pulis type player.

I agree about Rodriguez as a lone striker although I do think his mobility and skill level will make him better at it than a lot of people think, I think he will find space a lot better than Rondon does/can. I expect Rodriguez will start out wide left allowing Chadli to play in the middle behind Rondon (or whoever).

Having skillful pacy players alongside/around him will definitely benefit Chadli and I don't think he will leave.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

cornishbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #345 on: June 30, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »
Jay Rodriguez is the best we can hope for under the current management team.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #346 on: June 30, 2017, 01:01:07 PM »
Yes I am a season ticket holder , and there are 10 teams worse than us

There may be 10 worse teams than us last season, but the question was is there a worse team for attacking players. Creative players don't get the freedom to play and express themselves, they get shunted out wide and told to play in a rigid way. A striker who wants goal bonuses throughout the season won't play for us because they won't get many chances - they will pretty much have to score 50% of their chances to get about 15 goals. And they'll be plowing a lone furrow most of the season.

If I was a forward, I wouldn't sign for us, even supporting us.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #347 on: June 30, 2017, 03:28:35 PM »
Falloutboy- spot on mate

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #348 on: June 30, 2017, 04:48:11 PM »
There may be 10 worse teams than us last season, but the question was is there a worse team for attacking players. Creative players don't get the freedom to play and express themselves, they get shunted out wide and told to play in a rigid way. A striker who wants goal bonuses throughout the season won't play for us because they won't get many chances - they will pretty much have to score 50% of their chances to get about 15 goals. And they'll be plowing a lone furrow most of the season.

If I was a forward, I wouldn't sign for us, even supporting us.

Agree, under Pulis it wouldn't benefit your career. I suppose for Rodriguez though as he's 27 - it wouldn't be awful.

I'd also add that if I were a defender then I genuinely would like to play under Pulis as it would make you look great.

ripryan1971

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #349 on: June 30, 2017, 05:35:45 PM »
Lads you all were moaning at the start of last season then the period between November and Feb we scored 2s and 3s every home game, are you forgetting that?

Yes we had a poor run at the end, but seriously, could any other manager in this league get WBA to finished where we did, answer is 100% no

Look at our squad now 13 outfield players 2 keepers and a few kids, league 2 teams have more.

There's probably loads of players Pulis wants but we won't do the deals simple as. Chadli wasn't a Pulis player but we signed him.

The only thing i will ever agree on is, a majority of players may not sign for us whilst Pulis is here.

Villa signed championship players and a load of Frenchies and went down. They must be the right players for WBA, But yes we are slow at doing business all the time.

Sorry went off Topic there following a rant lol