Author Topic: Jacob Murphy (at Sheff. Wed.)  (Read 40890 times)

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

Re: Jacob Murphy (on loan from Newcastle)
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2019, 10:14:40 PM »
Apart from the 3 points,Murphys performance last night was the most pleasing aspect of the game as it improved 100% from the last game,he was much more involved and did some great runs and crosses that Gayle would have loved,i was genuinely worried after the last game that he had nothing to offer and with loss of Barnes and Phillips our cutting edge and Gayle supply line was gone and with it our promotion push to,but Murphy showed in flashes of what he can do and he could be vital for us,on a negative note he does need to be relieved of corner taking and free kick duties though.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2019, 10:41:40 PM »
Apart from the 3 points,Murphys performance last night was the most pleasing aspect of the game as it improved 100% from the last game,he was much more involved and did some great runs and crosses that Gayle would have loved,i was genuinely worried after the last game that he had nothing to offer and with loss of Barnes and Phillips our cutting edge and Gayle supply line was gone and with it our promotion push to,but Murphy showed in flashes of what he can do and he could be vital for us,on a negative note he does need to be relieved of corner taking and free kick duties though.
I expect Phillips will take over on the dead balls once he is back in the team.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2019, 08:21:05 AM »
I expect Phillips will take over on the dead balls once he is back in the team.

I think you're right that Phillips will take over but it would be good if we had a variety of decent dead ball takers so we could mix things up and have a decent replacement for when Phillips is injured and Brunt isn't an option. Johansen can take a decent free kick as shown against Stoke but ideally we could do with 3 or 4 of the regulars being reliable.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2019, 10:34:37 AM »
Just reading some thing from a Newcastle journalist (i am rubbish at links) and he seems to say that Newcastle have give up on him already and that they dont think he is good enough for the premier league.

I imagine this is the chance for him to put himself in the shop window, i havent seen enough from just 3 or 4 games to decide either way whether he is good enough for the premier league but i certainly wouldnt write him off, as good a coach as Benitez is, attacking players dont tend to shine at Newcastle in the premier league under him because he goes very cautious, Rondon has probably been the best they have.

If Murphy does well and we went up and did sign it would be interesting to see what he is like in a team that does like to play more positive and attacking (assuming we still tried to have that approach) and i think the same would apply to Gayle, it may be they arent good enough for the premier league but i would like to see them given a go.

As for Gayle, his scoring record is 1 in 4 to 5 games in the premier league but over half of his appearances have been as a sub so again his record isnt too shabby.

The Newcastle journalist also said that Albion know they are in a strong position regards to Rondon as other clubs are after him and we have said we want £16m for him but Newcastle are hoping to offer Gayle (valued at £10m) and pay £6m. Apparently Gayle is very keen to stay at the Albion and has actually moved into the area, quite unusual for a loan player.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2019, 11:23:17 AM »
Just reading some thing from a Newcastle journalist (i am rubbish at links) and he seems to say that Newcastle have give up on him already and that they dont think he is good enough for the premier league.

I imagine this is the chance for him to put himself in the shop window, i havent seen enough from just 3 or 4 games to decide either way whether he is good enough for the premier league but i certainly wouldnt write him off, as good a coach as Benitez is, attacking players dont tend to shine at Newcastle in the premier league under him because he goes very cautious, Rondon has probably been the best they have.

If Murphy does well and we went up and did sign it would be interesting to see what he is like in a team that does like to play more positive and attacking (assuming we still tried to have that approach) and i think the same would apply to Gayle, it may be they arent good enough for the premier league but i would like to see them given a go.

As for Gayle, his scoring record is 1 in 4 to 5 games in the premier league but over half of his appearances have been as a sub so again his record isnt too shabby.

The Newcastle journalist also said that Albion know they are in a strong position regards to Rondon as other clubs are after him and we have said we want £16m for him but Newcastle are hoping to offer Gayle (valued at £10m) and pay £6m. Apparently Gayle is very keen to stay at the Albion and has actually moved into the area, quite unusual for a loan player.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Newcastle try and do a deal were they get Rondon and we get Gayle and Murphy permanently. (obviously with a bit of money being exchanged).

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2019, 11:47:42 AM »
About JM set pieces:

I believe he was trying something different:

I think he was trying a corner kick which went high to the far post & then just dropped. I've seen it done in the prem recently & when it comes off it's a devastating ball for defenders to deal with.

With the free kick, I think he was just trying to get the ball to dip.

Neither came off & when they don't the outcome is shocking, but when they do, it's devastating.

I wouldn't write him off for set pieces just yet.

As far as his general play is concerned, I'm just a bit worried about his strength, as others have said, he does tend to get knocked off the ball quite easily.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #156 on: February 21, 2019, 11:51:10 AM »
About JM set pieces:

I believe he was trying something different:

I think he was trying a corner kick which went high to the far post & then just dropped. I've seen it done in the prem recently & when it comes off it's a devastating ball for defenders to deal with.

With the free kick, I think he was just trying to get the ball to dip.

Neither came off & when they don't the outcome is shocking, but when they do, it's devastating.

I wouldn't write him off for set pieces just yet.

As far as his general play is concerned, I'm just a bit worried about his strength, as others have said, he does tend to get knocked off the ball quite easily.

He has obviously been doing something in training with dead ball situations to be seen as the best option, it happens to all of us getting things wrong.

I thought he looked fitter and stronger v QPR
Baggie in Southampton

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #157 on: February 21, 2019, 05:09:21 PM »
Probably trying too hard for wicked topspin, he actually fell over on the free kick.  I would take him off free kicks/corners for a game or two though.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2019, 11:47:40 AM »
 Not in match day squad yesterday,did I miss something was looking forward to see him play yesterday after his improvement of late

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2019, 11:59:28 AM »
Not in match day squad yesterday,did I miss something was looking forward to see him play yesterday after his improvement of late

Had a knock

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #160 on: March 01, 2019, 09:38:04 PM »
So where is this bloke after really coming into form peaking with QPR he hadn't been seen since

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #161 on: March 01, 2019, 09:46:36 PM »
So where is this bloke after really coming into form peaking with QPR he hadn't been seen since

Took a knock at QPR, was on the bench tonight

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #162 on: March 01, 2019, 09:52:55 PM »
Took a knock at QPR, was on the bench tonight

And unused? Seems mad to me to have that option and ignore it

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2019, 09:58:52 AM »
Things don't look too good for this loanee imo.
Although it is obvious that JS would have a natural bias towards using academy players he knows well, I cannot see what he has to offer over Tullock or Edwards except a huge transfer fee

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2019, 10:49:12 AM »
He has ability but lacks bottle and tackling capability for me.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2019, 10:57:52 AM »
He doesn't read situations well enough for me. A lot of football at the higher levels is played "in the head". Murphy seems a slow thinker, similar to Leko (although not AS slow as him). Edwards has the natural talent to be the best of these three.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2019, 12:05:42 PM »
He is worth a go from the bench as he does have some raw ability, but he is further proof that limiting your scouting to the domestic market means you are looking at a small, expensive talent pool. Were there really not better options abroad than Murphy?
Boing Boing

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2019, 01:15:27 PM »
Were there really not better options abroad than Murphy?
There were equal, if not better options in Great Barr, imo. ;)

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2019, 01:45:18 PM »
While he hasn't set the world on fire, he's shown me enough to see he is a good player to have in the Championship. He's scored a couple and was unlucky not to get another 1, possibly 2 against Ipswich.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2019, 03:49:09 PM »
While he hasn't set the world on fire, he's shown me enough to see he is a good player to have in the Championship. He's scored a couple and was unlucky not to get another 1, possibly 2 against Ipswich.

Personally I don't think he's cut out for the rough and tumble of the Championship,seems a bit light weight for whatever division he plays in.
Not keen on 50 50 balls at all is he, and tends to pull out of challenges
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2019, 04:05:04 PM »
He is a typical example of the mercenary loanee (not all loanee's are mercenary, just some) with nothing invested in the club or our eventual league position. He knows he will be going back to his parent club at the end of the season and will have been banking his full wage in-between. No commitment to go with his lack of heart, bottle and ability
COYB 
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2019, 09:38:55 PM »
It's a strange one
Thought he looked ok, one of those players who doesn't set the world alight but ends up with 12 goals a season and the odd crazy run and assist

Maybe nothing but he did a very very long walk around all sides of the pitch after Ipswich, did he know Moore was off, was Moore pivital in him coming/playing ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2019, 06:32:56 AM »
Not sure he lacks commitment but he does seem to lack quality. His final ball is often poor. No more than a bit part impact player from now on for me due to his pace maybe scaring tired players. Hes a bit Lloyd Dyer maybe, fast but much else?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:48:28 AM by darbolina »

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2019, 02:28:31 PM »
He's just not very good, will not be missed or remembered when he departs back to Newcastle in the summer.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2019, 09:07:47 PM »
Not sure he lacks commitment but he does seem to lack quality. His final ball is often poor. No more than a bit part impact player from now on for me due to his pace maybe scaring tired players. Hes a bit Lloyd Dyer maybe, fast but much else?

Dyer scored 2 in 21, this lad has 2 in 7. Much better quality than Dyer and a better finisher. The speed is where the comparison ends.