Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 406648 times)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #1100 on: April 06, 2019, 06:59:13 AM »
He will walk into the team when he's back

We've got to get him walking first.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1101 on: April 06, 2019, 08:48:23 AM »
That is so disappointing.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1102 on: April 06, 2019, 09:29:27 PM »
That is so disappointing.
Can be a match winner, but I am afraid he is another player who we need to move on.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1103 on: April 06, 2019, 09:35:02 PM »
Yep get rid. We can't afford to be babysitting players that are not going to be unavailable for half a season

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1104 on: April 07, 2019, 02:12:00 AM »
Can be a match winner, but I am afraid he is another player who we need to move on.

Since Barnes has departed, he is the only player we have who can carry the ball from deep positions through the midfield into goalscoring positions. A vital player who we are missing right now.
I think alot of clubs would bite our hands off to get him.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1105 on: April 07, 2019, 03:36:52 AM »
If we got a decent offer there'd be no point keeping him. He's 28 so his injury proneness should only get worse, and even when he's not injured he's out of form most the time. You probably get about 15 decent games a season out him at best. There's a good player there but simply not reliable enough to be giving him the wages he's probably getting.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1106 on: April 07, 2019, 07:50:23 AM »
If we got a decent offer there'd be no point keeping him. He's 28 so his injury proneness should only get worse, and even when he's not injured he's out of form most the time. You probably get about 15 decent games a season out him at best. There's a good player there but simply not reliable enough to be giving him the wages he's probably getting.

Its the Morrison scenario all over again
We keep a player and keep patching him up hoping he can produce what we know he's capable of, the end game is we pay him fortunes for lying on a treatment table
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1107 on: April 07, 2019, 09:24:52 AM »
Is he made of glass? Really feel a fully fit phillips over the next month's would have been the difference

Agreed. Losing Phillips and Barnes has been our biggest issue in my view. More so than Moore.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1108 on: April 07, 2019, 09:32:51 AM »
Yep all our best periods as a side over the past 3 seasons have been when Phillips has been in the side and with a few games under his belt (the Barnes contribution this year speaks for itself). We just cannot go into games without someone who can inject some pace and go past a player or two (especially when we need to win every game). Edwards had done nothing to deserve being left out yesterday.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1109 on: April 07, 2019, 09:34:40 AM »
Yep all our best periods as a side over the past 3 seasons have been when Phillips has been in the side and with a few games under his belt (the Barnes contribution this year speaks for itself). We just cannot go into games without someone who can inject some pace and go past a player or two (especially when we need to win every game). Edwards had done nothing to deserve being left out yesterday.

I was just about to post this.  Whenever he’s been missing we’ve looked toothless.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1110 on: April 07, 2019, 10:31:44 AM »
Isn't there a special superglue for repairing broken glass? Maybe the medical department need to place a large order just for fixing up the super fragile MP?
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1111 on: April 07, 2019, 12:30:39 PM »
Get him fit hope for a couple of eye catching performances and sell him regardless of which division we end up in. He is 28 he  nearly always had a significant injury lay off each season and is slow to rediscover his best form afterwards. None of that is going to get better and he will lose a yard of pace over the next season or so.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1112 on: April 07, 2019, 05:46:54 PM »
Its the Morrison scenario all over again. We keep a player and keep patching him up hoping he can produce what we know he's capable of, the end game is we pay him fortunes for lying on a treatment table

This. The medical department that could pick up players and put them back together (see Steven Reid) has moved on, and if we're in for our own austerity era we can't be frittering money away on players who aren't going to contribute.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1113 on: July 05, 2019, 10:45:34 PM »

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1114 on: July 05, 2019, 10:54:51 PM »
Birmingham Mail reporting a bid of around £2.2m from Besiktas in Turkey according to Turkish reports

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-receive-transfer-bid-16541051?fbclid=IwAR2lsdFqHJeKXZciEhZlhI3evFTmZTOMBSLLOZVs6OdJMqZVWAWo-X0qtEw

£2.2m... What's that for, a picture of him?

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1115 on: July 05, 2019, 11:01:08 PM »
£2.2m... What's that for, a picture of him?

Don’t think we need to be worried about him leaving for that price, not a chance

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1116 on: July 06, 2019, 12:09:59 AM »
Don’t think we need to be worried about him leaving for that price, not a chance
didn't think Dawson would go for f all, so don't be surprised if he leaves for a fraction of what he's worth.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1117 on: July 06, 2019, 12:11:28 AM »
didn't think Dawson would go for f all, so don't be surprised if he leaves for a fraction of what he's worth.

And don’t be surprised if you aren’t right either  :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1118 on: July 06, 2019, 01:58:54 AM »
While I think at £2.2m it is almost worth letting Phillips' contract run down and see what we want to do at the end of the season, I am afraid it does reflect the reality of the situation. Many of our players are on short contracts relatively old and their reputations have hardly been enhanced over the last couple of seasons, hence limited interest and relatively low fees.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1119 on: July 06, 2019, 06:02:10 AM »
While I think at £2.2m it is almost worth letting Phillips' contract run down and see what we want to do at the end of the season, I am afraid it does reflect the reality of the situation. Many of our players are on short contracts relatively old and their reputations have hardly been enhanced over the last couple of seasons, hence limited interest and relatively low fees.
unfortunately, I agree and add to that his injuries this season.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1120 on: July 06, 2019, 08:03:33 AM »
On the injury front his hamstrings are the No. 1 issue though he managed to steer clear of further hamstring tweaks last season. After a full pre-season he played well 1st half of the season before his ankle issues started. Although he's only 28 and pretty much peak age, it is an age where he's not likely to reduce his injury count.

If he gets an injury free pre season, we could see him have a good 1st half the season again. He is though someone who tends to need 5 or games to get his match fitness back once he's been out with injury. It's difficult to say what a good price is for him now as he still could be our most dangerous player while fully fit. £5m or above I think we'd let him go....£4m could even be the cut off as we seem keen to get something back from those in the final year of their contracts.

victor mature

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1121 on: July 06, 2019, 08:36:11 AM »
Either the club or the agent must be advising his availability for us to get a bid. It's frustrating having a talented player in the squad who is often injured. I too would sell if the bid was  doubled.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1122 on: July 06, 2019, 08:53:12 AM »
Anybody who thinks it's a good idea to sell Phillips is crazy. He's.our best attacking player.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1123 on: July 06, 2019, 09:05:33 AM »
Anybody who thinks it's a good idea to sell Phillips is crazy. He's.our best attacking player.
When he is fit and in form I agree but sadly those things don't happen enough , I wouldn't sell for less than 6m though.
He's a bit like having a sports car that looks top notch but breaks down every 3 months , like a car those going to happen more as he gets older.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1124 on: July 06, 2019, 09:12:38 AM »
Phillips is one of them I would sell at the right price but £2.2m isn't half of it.

Good player yes but every single season we lose him for half of it and I include the time when he returns from his injuries because he comes back and looks about 80%. Does he gives us enough for £40K per week? I don't think he does considering his goal return for an attacking players isn't particularly high.

If the price is right sell on the proviso we bring in the right replacement, but don't give him away.