Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 409148 times)

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #475 on: June 20, 2016, 05:18:24 PM »
We're crying out for a winger and he would add balance.
He is proven at this level and at £4 million would be cheap for todays standards, it's a no brainer. I just hope move doesn't get highjacked at the last minute, although the sensible option would be to join us after 2 relegations if he's just after comfortable football.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #476 on: June 20, 2016, 05:35:50 PM »
Cue WHUFC bid !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #477 on: June 20, 2016, 05:52:22 PM »
I think 4 million for Phillips is a bargain. He's on about 25k a week probably so also not a problem for us. I think he looked really good at the latter end of the last season he played in the Prem and definitely will improve our stale options at the moment. Are there better players out there that we could go for? Possibly, but It could be a signing that improves us and also frees up funds to go for the more marquee names. Not that I'm suggesting we'll go and spend 20m on a player anytime soon, but we have more money than ever and more signings like Rondon smashing our transfer record will happen this close season. We'll break our transfer record on more than one occasion (the TV deal pretty much makes that a given), we just need to invest wisely.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #478 on: June 20, 2016, 05:57:59 PM »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #479 on: June 20, 2016, 06:11:32 PM »
Cue WHUFC bid !

And Hull - Bruce loves nicking players we're after

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #480 on: June 20, 2016, 06:32:11 PM »
Reported to be on £40K p/w in May 2015.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3079752/QPR-star-Matt-Phillips-blasted-fans-posing-100-000-Porsche-Twitter-three-days-team-relegated.html

Fletcher was the footballer quoted as being on £40k a week not Phillips and I am sure I read somewhere that he was on about £25k a week.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #481 on: June 20, 2016, 06:52:22 PM »

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #482 on: June 20, 2016, 06:57:47 PM »
Cue WHUFC bid !

Just out of interest the bid should really be kept between the two teams!. Im thinking Phillip's agent has leaked it to the press in the hope someone bids more! More money= more money in the agents pocket.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #483 on: June 20, 2016, 09:01:33 PM »
Just out of interest the bid should really be kept between the two teams!. Im thinking Phillip's agent has leaked it to the press in the hope someone bids more! More money= more money in the agents pocket.

It isn't in the agent/players interest to bid up the fee rather once a fee is agreed they will try to get an alternative for the player and squeeze the best wage out of the club.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #484 on: June 20, 2016, 11:38:59 PM »
Vanderlei and Standaman.

Guilty of speed reading again and stand corrected, but I could have sworn I'd previously read he was on considerably more than £25K p/w which is perhaps why I jumped straight onto the £40K remark.

Oh well, best slow down as the wife suggests.
 :P ;).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #485 on: June 21, 2016, 09:18:00 AM »
Vanderlei and Standaman.

Guilty of speed reading again and stand corrected, but I could have sworn I'd previously read he was on considerably more than £25K p/w which is perhaps why I jumped straight onto the £40K remark.

Oh well, best slow down as the wife suggests.
 :P ;).

I found 25k surprising due to how QPR spunked their money since Fernandes took over.

FLETCH

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #486 on: June 21, 2016, 09:26:06 AM »
I know someone who used to play for QPR and still involved with QPR and speak to quite a lot..... Phillips wages are top end and would give our players a run for there money already.
yea i have done your mom..........so what!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #487 on: June 21, 2016, 09:45:32 AM »
I found 25k surprising due to how QPR spunked their money since Fernandes took over.

It's not that surprising for a championship club though. A lot of QPR players had to take a pay cut after relegation last time, he might well have been on significantly higher wages in the Prem.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

tucka9

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #488 on: June 21, 2016, 11:03:41 AM »
Bid accepted in the region of £4milion

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #489 on: June 21, 2016, 11:12:06 AM »
Bid accepted in the region of £4milion

do you have a link?

tucka9

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #490 on: June 21, 2016, 11:16:05 AM »
do you have a link?
I'm in London near Shepherd's Bush and it's all over there local papers/billboards that it could be done by the end of the week and a bids been accepted.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #491 on: June 21, 2016, 11:18:31 AM »
I'm in London near Shepherd's Bush and it's all over there local papers/billboards that it could be done by the end of the week and a bids been accepted.

cheers. hope it is a done deal.

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #492 on: June 21, 2016, 12:12:27 PM »

Although its traditional to wait for the transfer window to open, but if the basis is in place that would be good news.

8thewolves

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #493 on: June 21, 2016, 12:38:37 PM »
Although its traditional to wait for the transfer window to open, but if the basis is in place that would be good news.

I thought it opened on the 9th June ?

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #494 on: June 21, 2016, 12:47:08 PM »
My mistake. I thought it was 1st July.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #495 on: June 21, 2016, 05:18:04 PM »
12 months ago I would have said "sign him", having watched a few champ games, I am not so sure now.
4m seems a bargain and I am sure other clubs will think the same if this is true. If nothing else, he can shoot accurately and has pace. Two attributes we do not have currently.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #496 on: June 21, 2016, 05:44:36 PM »
Clearly Phillips and Leko is an improvement over McManaman and McClean, at least in terms of our attacking needs.  Sell McManaman for £5m and I'd say that signing Phillips is great business.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #497 on: June 30, 2016, 11:34:11 AM »
Birmingham mail saying the club are confident on making Philips our first signing, says we bid 4m 2 weeks ago but they want 5m and talks are ongoing.

Are we really delaying it over a million pound?

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #498 on: June 30, 2016, 11:40:17 AM »
Birmingham mail saying the club are confident on making Philips our first signing, says we bid 4m 2 weeks ago but they want 5m and talks are ongoing.

Are we really delaying it over a million pound?

Yes. That is why we are in such a good financial position, because despite the lack of ambition we have shown at times over the years, we do have a chairman that put's the finances of our club first. I know how frustrating it is as a supporter but we really do need to exercise a little patience. Normally, the transfer window wouldn't have even opened until tomorrow. Phillips will sign and we'll get him for less than the asking price.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #499 on: June 30, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »
Yes. That is why we are in such a good financial position, because despite the lack of ambition we have shown at times over the years, we do have a chairman that put's the finances of our club first. I know how frustrating it is as a supporter but we really do need to exercise a little patience. Normally, the transfer window wouldn't have even opened until tomorrow. Phillips will sign and we'll get him for less than the asking price.
I hope you are right. Will be an excellent signing.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE