Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 409191 times)

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #450 on: January 31, 2016, 11:42:11 AM »
Only allowed one domestic loan for a club at one time. With Sandro now on loan it would be impossible for us to loan Phillips. I do hope we make a play for him though, even if we do have to gamble a bit of money like other clubs are doing to secure survival and the new TV deal.

Very good point. The player in question was Clem and he was drunk to be fair. Probably just on the wind up.

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #451 on: January 31, 2016, 11:43:13 AM »
Isn't that Premier Clubs ?
No it's any domestic loan. Only allowed two at any one time and both have to be from seperate clubs, that includes loans from all domestic leagues, even the non-league. We had an issue when we tried to sign Ridgewell whilst Foster was on loan. We couldn't loan them both so had to either pay up for Ridgewell or either end the loan for Foster by buying him or sending him back if we wanted to loan Ridgewell. As it happened we were able to buy him for a fairly nominal amount.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #452 on: February 01, 2016, 08:14:28 PM »
What's happening with Phillips the silence is deafening , nothing mentioned any where considering he was being linked with everyone 

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #453 on: February 01, 2016, 08:24:10 PM »
What's happening with Phillips the silence is deafening , nothing mentioned any where considering he was being linked with everyone

He won't be coming to us unless we sell the wonder kid!

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #454 on: February 01, 2016, 08:26:13 PM »

We are probably waiting for his contract to run out.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #455 on: February 01, 2016, 08:27:22 PM »
Watford were interested in him and sky reporting that one more deal is expected to get done by Watford so maybe its phillips.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #456 on: February 01, 2016, 08:31:05 PM »
Watford were interested in him and sky reporting that one more deal is expected to get done by Watford so maybe its phillips.

They just signed Penaranda from Udinese, so that could be the deal Sky is talking about
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #457 on: June 19, 2016, 10:48:24 PM »
Here we go this summer's least surprising piece of transfer news

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/19/west-brom-manager-tony-pulis-targets-queens-park-rangers-4m-wing/?

West Brom manager Tony Pulis targets Queens Park Rangers' £4m winger Matt Phillips

John Percy
19 JUNE 2016 • 10:30PM
West Bromwich Albion have made a £4million bid for Queens Park Rangers winger Matt Phillips and are close to agreeing a new contract with James Morrison.

Tony Pulis has stepped up his summer recruitment drive with a firm offer for Phillips, a long-term target, and is hopeful of completing a deal this week.

Phillips, the Scotland international, was the subject of two bids from West Brom last summer but is now expected to end his three-year stay at QPR and finally move to the Hawthorns.

QPR were asking for around £8million last season but will listen to offers for their star names after failing to clinch promotion back to the Premier League under Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

Pulis is keen to add pace and width to his squad ahead of next season, with Phillips poised to become the first addition of a revamp under the Albion head coach.

Albion are also set for another huge boost with Morrison set to reject a return to former club Middlesbrough and sign a new deal.

Morrison has been in talks for West Brom for months but is now on the verge of extending his nine-year stay at the club.

The 29-year-old will be a free agent next month and has been offered the chance to rejoin his first club Middlesbrough, who clinched promotion back to the Premier League in May.

Middlesbrough sold Morrison for £1.5million in August 2007 and are keen to bring him back to the Riverside Stadium in a bid to provide Aitor Karanka’s squad with top-flight experience.

But the midfielder is now ready to stay with West Brom following recent talks and will sign a deal worth around £38,000 a week.

West Brom could make an official announcement later this week, in a development which will prove popular with the club’s supporters.

Pulis said: "James has been here a long time so he knows what the football club is and what it’s about. He’s been a great servant, he’s a top player for me.

"Irrespective of what I think or what the chairman thinks, everybody within a deal has to want to be part of what we’re doing and that’s very important."

Albion will listen to offers for a number of fringe players in an attempt to boost the funds available for new signings.

Rickie Lambert, Callum McManaman, Cristian Gamboa and Sebastien Pocognoli are all available and will be allowed to leave if the club receives an acceptable offer.

Victor Anichebe and Stephane Sessegon have already departed as free agents, with Pulis keen to sign at least two new forwards as replacements this summer.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #458 on: June 19, 2016, 10:50:26 PM »
Bargain at that price!
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

WednesburyAlbion

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #459 on: June 20, 2016, 01:39:07 AM »
IF this is true and we do land him for 4 million then it's decent business, providing his attitude is right. We've only just managed to ship out two players who could never get their heads right and reach their potential.

Can't say I've saw much of him but he sounds a pacey, direct winger? Exactly what we've lacked since Odemwingie/Thomas days.

Would be a positive bit of news!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #460 on: June 20, 2016, 05:13:49 AM »
I'm not that fussed about Phillips I watched him a few times for QPR and he was at best OK. He is not an upgrade on Macmanaman but Pulis might play him so that's a positive

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #461 on: June 20, 2016, 08:50:18 AM »
Looks like we've headed down this route because we missed out on Redmond. £4m is a good price and i guess his wages wont be that high. That being said i think we need 1 or 2 more attack minded wingers/midfielders to compliment him.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #462 on: June 20, 2016, 08:54:28 AM »
I'm not that fussed about Phillips I watched him a few times for QPR and he was at best OK. He is not an upgrade on Macmanaman but Pulis might play him so that's a positive

Comparing stats he is an upgrade on McManaman.

McManaman has played 106 games in 7 seasons scored 10 goals , 3 assists, 13 yellow cards, 2 red cards, 3 MoM performances.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/74885/History/Callum-McManaman

Phillips has played 117 games in 4 seasons, 15 goals, 19 assists, 7 yellow, 0 red, 5 MoM performances.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/40036/History/Matthew-Phillips

We will still need another winger and a striker though.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #463 on: June 20, 2016, 08:55:58 AM »
First post was deleted got some reason...

Is Matty Phillips known to track back and does he work hard? Or will he be left out in a few months if the scouting hasn't been carried out properly and he is found out not to carry those vital attributes.   

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #464 on: June 20, 2016, 09:32:45 AM »
At 4 million Mathew Phillips would be a great signing as a squad player but if he turns into a regular starter I'm not sure he's good enough but time will tell I suppose.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #465 on: June 20, 2016, 10:13:03 AM »
At 4 million Mathew Phillips would be a great signing as a squad player but if he turns into a regular starter I'm not sure he's good enough but time will tell I suppose.

He is absolutely not coming as a squad player who is backing up, MacManaman? We are not buying Redmond and Phillips that was always an either or situation.

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #466 on: June 20, 2016, 12:02:26 PM »

Of course he's good enough.

3 goals and 8 assists 2 seasons ago in the Premier League. That's an improvement on Sessegnon's 2 goals and 2 assists.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #467 on: June 20, 2016, 12:21:33 PM »
Would certainly take him, especially at that price.

Is he an improvement on what we have...or should I say on what we have that Pulis will select? As we only have McClean as a winger, with Gardner selected there through Pulis negativity, you would have to say yes.

We need reinforcements, the squad is in a desperate state.

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #468 on: June 20, 2016, 12:56:57 PM »
I think people need to calm down its Mathew Phillips not Franck Ribery... If he's that great why didn't we sign him last season when we had the chance? I don't think he's a great improvement on what we have others do that's fine it's all opinions but it's like when we chased Craig 'Gards' Gardner for three years but only had him eventually because he was free.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #469 on: June 20, 2016, 01:11:58 PM »
I think people need to calm down its Mathew Phillips not Franck Ribery... If he's that great why didn't we sign him last season when we had the chance? I don't think he's a great improvement on what we have others do that's fine it's all opinions but it's like when we chased Craig 'Gards' Gardner for three years but only had him eventually because he was free.

We had an amount we were willing to pay and QPR valued him higher than that so he didn't come. Now QPR value him at something we find acceptable.

It's like the Berahino situation. We had a price we wanted, and no-one was prepared to pay it.

He/him

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #470 on: June 20, 2016, 01:41:13 PM »
I think he'd be decent because
1)  he has a good record of assists (and goals for a winger_
2) he has pace
3) he can play on left, right or number 10
4) is still only 25
5) is 6'1'' (Pulis would like this)

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #471 on: June 20, 2016, 01:58:22 PM »
If we can get him for £4m its a no brainer. In todays market thats nothing.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #472 on: June 20, 2016, 02:25:06 PM »

Because we weren't about to pay silly money for him as a guess. I would be far happier paying £4m for him than paying any amount for those we chased for a number of years and ended up getting on a free, i.e. Gardner and Baird.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #473 on: June 20, 2016, 02:27:34 PM »
There was a lot of mixed reactions to Antonio, a lot of forest fans said he wasn't that great and was very inconsistent, if Phillips can have a similar impact as Antonio did at West Ham then I'll have no complaints
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #474 on: June 20, 2016, 04:59:38 PM »
I think he'd be decent because
1)  he has a good record of assists (and goals for a winger_
2) he has pace
3) he can play on left, right or number 10
4) is still only 25
5) is 6'1'' (Pulis would like this)
Agree, he's got a good shot and delivery on him. Several reasons why he should prove an upgrade on MacManaman who is a bit of a one trick pony and has shown little end product.