Author Topic: 15 Feb 2020 Albion 2 Nottingham Forest 2  (Read 61359 times)

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Don Goodman commentary
« Reply #450 on: February 17, 2020, 10:42:15 AM »
Why do we bother talking about him? What difference does his opinion make?

I don’t know why we’re wasting time and energy talking about a pundit. I don’t care what he thinks, and I don’t really know why anyone else cares either.

Influencing retrospective action on our players by consistently focusing on possible dives/reds that in other games don't get such forensic analysis. As well as potentially influencing what referees think of us ahead of games.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #451 on: February 17, 2020, 11:35:37 AM »
I couldn't care less if privately he holds a grudge against us. But when he's working for a public broadcaster, he's supposed to be impartial.  That's if he's trying to build a career as an expert football summariser who can be taken seriously.
Another thing is that Sky seem to select him for a hell of a lot of our games. Is that because of him having some expert knowledge of the Championship or being based in the Midlands?

more to do with the fact he used to play for us I'd have thought.

Wasn't he one of the pundits when we won 1-5 at Molineaux?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #452 on: February 17, 2020, 12:19:01 PM »
more to do with the fact he used to play for us I'd have thought.

Wasn't he one of the pundits when we won 1-5 at Molineaux?

Yep. And after the 5th went in described Wolves as "unlucky" and we won because of "fine margins". If it wasn't for Hennessey playing a blinder in the first half we would have hit double figures.

Goodman should not commentate on us.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #453 on: February 17, 2020, 02:03:40 PM »
It's not really important is it?? Who cares what Donald thinks?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #454 on: February 17, 2020, 02:34:38 PM »

you are right that no-one cares what Goodman thinks, BUT, if his comments provoke someone in authority to look at something which they otherwise wouldn't have, then we all should care about it !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #455 on: February 17, 2020, 03:06:27 PM »

I care, sometimes I have to put the TV on mute if he's doing my head in and it ruins it.

From a less selfish perspective, he did his best to get Gayle banned for diving last season vs Forest and it worked. His words have affected our team if you think about it like that.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #456 on: February 17, 2020, 03:16:09 PM »
you are right that no-one cares what Goodman thinks, BUT, if his comments provoke someone in authority to look at something which they otherwise wouldn't have, then we all should care about it !

I would like to think that those in authority don't take too much notice of pundits.
I'm not sure some of the ex-players know the modern rules, & I'm pretty sure Goodman & Keith Andrews both have axes to grind with us. I think we'd get a fairer assessment from someone line Jonathon Greening, who is also now doing a bit of punditory.
But, hey, Talk Sport/Sky are all from the same stable & it makes good Telly.

With my cynical head on, I also wouldn't be in the least surprised to see Leeds &/or Forest promoted this year so that Sky can have the same prodigal son love in with them that they have with Villa.
Some of the clips shown of Saturday's match were edited for maximum effect: when you see the incidents in the round, you come to a different conclusion.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #457 on: February 17, 2020, 03:25:35 PM »

I would like to think that those in authority don't take too much notice of pundits.
I'm not sure some of the ex-players know the modern rules, & I'm pretty sure Goodman & Keith Andrews both have axes to grind with us. I think we'd get a fairer assessment from someone line Jonathon Greening, who is also now doing a bit of punditory.
But, hey, Talk Sport/Sky are all from the same stable & it makes good Telly.

With my cynical head on, I also wouldn't be in the least surprised to see Leeds &/or Forest promoted this year so that Sky can have the same prodigal son love in with them that they have with Villa.
Some of the clips shown of Saturday's match were edited for maximum effect: when you see the incidents in the round, you come to a different conclusion.

i do wonder how much TV commentary affected the Periera retrospective ban, the ref had clearly missed the severity of the offence, but TV coverage made it impossible to ignore. Meanwhile at Elland rd ....
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #458 on: February 17, 2020, 03:41:12 PM »
I remember thinking after the play-off games in 2007 that Goodman was biased against us in favour of Wolves but I've seen plenty of games in the last couple of years where he appears bias in our favour; I have come to the conclusion that he probably calls it as he sees it and just sometimes sees things differently to me. I think sometimes he starts on a particular thread or train of thought in a match and sometimes sees what matches that narrative instead of maybe what's happening, we all do it sometimes.

Regards his words having an effect on bans and so on, it is the editor/producer who organises the replays, he just comments on what he sees so don't think it is right to blame him for that.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #459 on: February 17, 2020, 04:07:29 PM »
i do wonder how much TV commentary affected the Periera retrospective ban, the ref had clearly missed the severity of the offence, but TV coverage made it impossible to ignore. Meanwhile at Elland rd ....

I believe, if it's brought to the authorities attention, they have to investigate.

On the other hand, I would hope that the panel is unbiased & consider a compilation of evidence, rather than a small clip shown on t'internet.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #460 on: February 17, 2020, 04:56:30 PM »
I see that he's been a member of the Old Gold Club since early 2019 which might partly explain his views towards the Albion.

https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/features/20180103-don-goodman-to-be-inducted-into-old-gold-club/

I saw an interview where he spoke about his close relationship with Steve Bull, and knowing SB's allergic reaction to things Albion, he may have been influenced.

Given his close links to Wolves I think it irresponsible were Sky to allow him to be match summariser for Wolves games. Sky are a public broadcaster, where there should be no place for fan club representatives. Its different if a pundit comes in after games or half time, and speaks as someone with close personal knowledge of a club, eg Steve Gerrard, Carragher, Gary Neville. Everyone knows their club affiliations. But they  should not be allowed during the match commentary itself, when we are looking for objective and unbiased comment.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 04:58:50 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #461 on: February 17, 2020, 05:22:46 PM »
I see that he's been a member of the Old Gold Club since early 2019 which might partly explain his views towards the Albion.

https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/features/20180103-don-goodman-to-be-inducted-into-old-gold-club/

I saw an interview where he spoke about his close relationship with Steve Bull, and knowing SB's allergic reaction to things Albion, he may have been influenced.

Given his close links to Wolves I think it irresponsible were Sky to allow him to be match summariser for Wolves games. Sky are a public broadcaster, where there should be no place for fan club representatives. Its different if a pundit comes in after games or half time, and speaks as someone with close personal knowledge of a club, eg Steve Gerrard, Carragher, Gary Neville. Everyone knows their club affiliations. But they  should not be allowed during the match commentary itself, when we are looking for objective and unbiased comment.
Never really took to him when he played for us , and one incident summed up his attitude. I travelled up for our game at Preston with a few hundred others on a freezing cold Winter evening. Preston had a "plastic" pitch in those days so the pitch was in it's normal condition. Goodman was selected to start, and when the players came out to warm-up, he was clearly seen to be moaning to the other players , shaking his head and shrugging his shoulders. Needless to say he did not appear on the pitch again, nor was his absence properly explained. Personally I think his boots were to small for him. Weigh Anchor in the first degree.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Westie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Match Officials
« Reply #462 on: February 17, 2020, 09:04:39 PM »
We didn’t get the final decision, though, did we; a good goal ruled out because the officials were wrong about the alleged offside. Annoying.