Author Topic: 12 Feb 2020 Reading 1 Albion 2  (Read 35865 times)

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #275 on: February 12, 2020, 10:24:34 PM »
Excellent for an hour, fell away a bit after that. Think we were a bit short of pace and Krovinovic didn’t seem to build on his recent performance, while Kanu didn’t do much.

Some great play at times but for me I’d like a bit more pace on at least one of the wings and Pereira behind the striker which for me would be Robinson.

A great win though. So proud of what we are as a team when compared against the darkest days of Pulis.

+1 and a loads more.   

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #276 on: February 12, 2020, 10:24:50 PM »
Great 3 points two away wins on the bounce against two bogey teams. Played well first half but ropey after winner.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #277 on: February 12, 2020, 10:29:06 PM »
My only dissapointment is that we didn't have this match sewn up well before the end. As Billic would say, it only needs Reading to have a fluke or a wonder strike in the last 15 minutes.  Loads of good build up play from midfield, but we don't seem to be that clinical with our finishing.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #278 on: February 12, 2020, 10:33:18 PM »
Yes a good 6 points, and we shouldn't underestimate the 1 days less rest than Reading factor after an energetic performance at Millwall. We certainly looked tired after going in front. Same situation against Forest as they'll have had an extra day recovery after playing last night....that's the effect of televised games in the Championship.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #279 on: February 12, 2020, 10:33:44 PM »
At this stage points are more important than performances.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #280 on: February 12, 2020, 10:33:49 PM »
Amazed we didn't score 6 we ripped them to pieces and were the dominant team.

I'd like to see us being more ruthless when on top.  Reading we're there for the taking on 50mins at 1-2 and they somehow crept back into it.

Disappointed with the ludicrous penalty, we made things harder than it needed to be yet again.

I thought Krov did nothing 2nd half and Phillips should've come on 10mins earlier.  No idea why HRK stayed on for 85, he wasn't involved after 55.  Surely Austin should start v Forest with the quick turnaround?

HRK is playing superbly at the moment, he is a one man Welsh battering ram up there.  Just don't think Austin can do that job but do agree he could have come on earlier. 

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #281 on: February 12, 2020, 10:35:37 PM »

Doesn't say much for our conversions. That Livermore miss was woeful.

A dig at Livermore? Now that is a surprise. I love the consistency of your comments. I wish the match results were as predictable as you are.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #282 on: February 12, 2020, 10:38:01 PM »
Yes a good 6 points, and we shouldn't underestimate the 1 days less rest than Reading factor after an energetic performance at Millwall. We certainly looked tired after going in front. Same situation against Forest as they'll have had an extra day recovery after playing last night....that's the effect of televised games in the Championship.

The team looked leggy in the 2nd half, need the team freshened up for the weekend.
Baggie in Southampton

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #283 on: February 12, 2020, 10:43:55 PM »
To a man I thought we were magnificent except Bartley's stupid handball. Some of the football going forward just fantastic.

Reading had a go second half but we dug in and managed it.

Not going to criticise one player.

Well done Albion. Happy days.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #284 on: February 12, 2020, 10:47:38 PM »
To a man I thought we were magnificent except Bartley's stupid handball. Some of the football going forward just fantastic.

Reading had a go second half but we dug in and managed it.

Not going to criticise one player.

Well done Albion. Happy days.

Love it. Good on you. A great team performance and not the time to be digging out players because of a missed pass here and there - I bet they don’t do that within the squad so why should we do it.

The slump was always going to come, perhaps it lasted a bit longer than we had thought, but we have now brought ourselves back into a position we could have only dreamt of at the start of the season. A stronger squad, Gibbs and Diangana still to come back. It’s looking positive.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #285 on: February 12, 2020, 10:49:19 PM »
Well I enjoyed that performance

Bossed most the game but away from home you got to expect the home team to have a go

Thought Townsend was excellent AGAIN, really growing into this side

I too thought Livermore was as strong tonight, he put himself about but his shooting skills leave a lot to be desired  ;D

HRK out in another decent display, but he looked gone by the 60th min

Pereira back has made a huge difference and Robinson had a decent game, hoping he gets a goal soon

Sawyers has a decent game as he has the last 2/3

Forest is a different test, but let’s go beat them lads

Happy Baggie tonight

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #286 on: February 12, 2020, 10:49:22 PM »
So pleased with result tonight. Listened to the game on WM and was a nervy last 10 minutes. Great to get a win at The Madejski and my only gripe was we didn’t get that third goal when Reading were well and truly on the rack early in the second half. But hey, job done  :D

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #287 on: February 12, 2020, 11:45:27 PM »
I follow Krov and MP on Instagram and after every game Krov comes on and thanks fans, tonight he came on with MP they seem to be really enjoying themselves. The team spirit in the club from the outside appears to be amazing, no doubt helps on the pitch. Great win, see forest off on Saturday and a perfect week.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #288 on: February 13, 2020, 04:52:21 AM »
Another gritty win but we had more than enough quality and could and should have put the game to bed.

Townsend has got some flack especially on social media but I think he has really grown into the team and had another good game.

Besides his daft handball bartley had another good game. Livermore found form again. Sawyers back at it. Robinson krovonovic periera all dangerous. Hrk was a nuisance and run his nads off again.

3 big wins back to back has really taken the pressure of us on sat. Forest rested half a team pressure on them to win. Opens the game up which may play to our hands
O Albion we love you

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #289 on: February 13, 2020, 05:38:06 AM »
The results couldn't have gone any better.
Everyone again did a job , the reaction from the players at the end showed that this was a big win.

Livermore stands out so much , a real leader who has improved so much this season. Some great football at times too tonight .
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #290 on: February 13, 2020, 05:50:02 AM »
Many of us could see that the game changed after about an hour.
I feel Bilic should have reacted to this with subs much earlier than he did.The benefits would have been twofold a)Resting three of our starters b)Honing the fitness of the subs whilst freshening up the team.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #291 on: February 13, 2020, 08:41:09 AM »
Many of us could see that the game changed after about an hour.
I feel Bilic should have reacted to this with subs much earlier than he did.The benefits would have been twofold a)Resting three of our starters b)Honing the fitness of the subs whilst freshening up the team.

You do know we won right?

Reading, being the home side, were always going to get chances, they had a few; we coped with them. They had an extra days rest than us and we'd put in a right shift against Millwall in horrendous conditions.
Don't think the subs fitness needs honing as Phillips up until the last two games has been a starter, Grosicki has played in every game for Hull and Austin has played regularly for us either as a starter or from the bench, so fitness or match fitness shouldn't be an issue.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #292 on: February 13, 2020, 09:06:06 AM »
I was a bit surprised that HRK wasn't replaced earlier as he took a pretty heavy knock and was looking knackered also. I guess it does show that Bilic now sees him as an important part of the way we structure our attacking play.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #293 on: February 13, 2020, 10:43:07 AM »
In the context of the other results, last night's win feels even better. I haven't been to or seen any of the last two games but have seen it written that we have shifted to a 433 with Krovinovic to the left and Livermore to the right of Sawyers, could someone confirm and break it down a little for me? With Pereira and Robinson out wide but both inverted wingers, I expect they pick up fairly central areas and whilst Townsend naturally gets forward left, this isn't O'Shea's natural game, do we still have width out wide?

This could be one for the systems, tactics, personnel thread instead - happy for this to be moved if better placed there.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #294 on: February 13, 2020, 11:06:24 AM »
In the context of the other results, last night's win feels even better. I haven't been to or seen any of the last two games but have seen it written that we have shifted to a 433 with Krovinovic to the left and Livermore to the right of Sawyers, could someone confirm and break it down a little for me? With Pereira and Robinson out wide but both inverted wingers, I expect they pick up fairly central areas and whilst Townsend naturally gets forward left, this isn't O'Shea's natural game, do we still have width out wide?

This could be one for the systems, tactics, personnel thread instead - happy for this to be moved if better placed there.

Yep we've gone 4-3-3.

I'm not sure the inverted wingers thing is totally accurate although both our wide men can play like that. Pereira starts on the right but naturally drifts inside into pockets and is causing defenders all sorts of problems. Just behind him and inside him he has Livermore who is looking much more box to box than we're used to seeing him. O'Shea does get forward in support but is much more disciplined than Furlong.

On the left Robinson is more of a winger than Pereira and will go on the outside more often. This allows Krovinovic inside him space to link up in and around the box. Earlier in the season we wouldn't shoot, kept going side to side, trying to walk the ball in, now we shoot anywhere around the box. Robson-Kanu links the play from either side and works the centre backs to death. Sawyers sits in the middle between Jake and Krov and conducts the orchestra.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #295 on: February 13, 2020, 11:53:04 AM »
Have to say the Reading following was pitiful last night and engaged with a very dejected group of them as they left the stadium, though several were very complimentary about our style of play

We did all agree though that Charlie Adam is now a fat little parody of what he once was, which is a total knob head   
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #296 on: February 13, 2020, 11:53:59 AM »

Yep we've gone 4-3-3.

I'm not sure the inverted wingers thing is totally accurate although both our wide men can play like that. Pereira starts on the right but naturally drifts inside into pockets and is causing defenders all sorts of problems. Just behind him and inside him he has Livermore who is looking much more box to box than we're used to seeing him. O'Shea does get forward in support but is much more disciplined than Furlong.

On the left Robinson is more of a winger than Pereira and will go on the outside more often. This allows Krovinovic inside him space to link up in and around the box. Earlier in the season we wouldn't shoot, kept going side to side, trying to walk the ball in, now we shoot anywhere around the box. Robson-Kanu links the play from either side and works the centre backs to death. Sawyers sits in the middle between Jake and Krov and conducts the orchestra.

Thanks Atomic, much appreciated.

It feels like teams might try and suffocate our left flank and central areas leaving O'Shea as the spare man but on those occasions we have Furlong who is much better on the ball or can switch the balance by putting a more natural right wide player out there like Phillips. It's been clear all season but our style is much more suited to a mobile centre forward, which is why Robson-Kanu is currently in possession of the shirt. No surprise that Krovinovic looks better playing slightly deeper; he isn't quite potent enough as a 10 but is wasted as a deep lying playmaker so the current style suits him much more.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #297 on: February 13, 2020, 02:33:54 PM »
Change of plans yesterday meant I rang the ticket office at Reading and got two tickets for myself and the lad. Thoroughly enjoyable afternoon and evening's entertainment. Also caught up with a pal I haven't seen since last season.

For the life of me I have absolutely no idea what Bartley was thinking re the hand ball. He just seemed to lose all sense of his positioning and the flight of the ball. Could have proved costly but I thought his team mates stepped up well.

Some very intricate football and passages of play should have garnered a higher margin of victory. Felt comfortable throughout other than for the mix up leading to the disallowed goal which seemed like an embarrassing comedy of errors.

Never mind, a well deserved victory and onto Saturday. COYB.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #298 on: February 13, 2020, 03:15:40 PM »
https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11932706/reading-1-2-west-brom

I'd forgotten about the one that went under the keeper and bounced up onto the crossbar

I'd always considered Piera's right foot to just be for standing on but he tucked that one away with it really well
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #299 on: February 13, 2020, 04:34:47 PM »
another superb win, not quite the style of the previous one,  no criticism of any players general performance, I just wish that when we do get the superiority that we have enjoyed in the last 3 games that we could turn it into more goals even when we are away from home as we know from experience one goal leads are always dodgy for us and we do tend to turn a lot of winning positions into draws, but lets bring on the Forest , great opportunity to get back to where we were  at xmas , only ask one thing that JL gets some serious shooting practice in the next couple of games.