Author Topic: Kenneth Zohore  (Read 196683 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Kenneth Zohore joins WBA
« Reply #375 on: January 21, 2020, 10:51:04 PM »
Whilst I cannot 100% confirm I believe that it’s half of the full value, so 4m. Still a lot I know.

Thank you. Still 2m too much for my liking but its done now haha

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

Re: Kenneth Zohore joins WBA
« Reply #376 on: January 26, 2020, 01:36:38 PM »
Looked like he could hardly move during the last 5-10 mins of the game yesterday when off the ball and was then on his haunches when the full time whistle went too - He didn't start the game so it shouldn't be tiredness, I'm wondering if he's picked up a knock of some kind.

His first couple of mins he didn't quite look on the pace but then after that when we went down to 10 he was good, held up the ball well with Tuloch helping him in the corner too.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Kenneth Zohore
« Reply #377 on: February 28, 2020, 09:11:24 AM »
Is he now officially a spent force and on his way at the end of the season?
My preferred option would be that the gaffer and his team are quietly working away with him in the background to try and turn him into a decent goal scoring forward for next season
But somehow doubt it
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #378 on: February 28, 2020, 09:12:14 AM »
Such a baffling signing, what were the club doing?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #379 on: February 28, 2020, 09:24:39 AM »

He should be so much better than we have seen, big / strong / mobile / quick.

He typifies the old school english managers recipe for a forward, he must be looking in the mirror and thinking about why it hasn't worked at Cardiff or here, then again, when he looks at the bank balance its going to be a damn site healthier than mine.

It would be interesting to see him given a decent run of games, but I cannot see how / when
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #380 on: February 28, 2020, 09:25:11 AM »
Even worse than I expected when we signed him. Another one that needs to be moved on at tend of season.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #381 on: February 28, 2020, 09:28:48 AM »
buying a big strong hold up player with a bit of pace that had shown he could cut it in the championship in previous seasons. Basically Ken should be where HRK is and doing what he’s doing. As Hal’s shown it should fit our style but he hasn’t.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #382 on: February 28, 2020, 09:44:27 AM »
I got it wrong with Zohore, I saw the physical attributes he had and thought he'd be a big hit in a Bilic team. Just hasn't happened. He has very good pace, he's strong and he has a bit of ability but for me he doesn't have the right attitude or bottle. He should be taking it upon himself to bully defenders but he just doesn't seem to have the sort of drive or personality to do that.

You can change things about players but you cant change someone's personality. I would be surprised if we didnt try to move him on in the summer.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #383 on: February 28, 2020, 09:51:36 AM »
I got it wrong with Zohore, I saw the physical attributes he had and thought he'd be a big hit in a Bilic team. Just hasn't happened. He has very good pace, he's strong and he has a bit of ability but for me he doesn't have the right attitude or bottle. He should be taking it upon himself to bully defenders but he just doesn't seem to have the sort of drive or personality to do that.

You can change things about players but you cant change someone's personality. I would be surprised if we didnt try to move him on in the summer.

I'm sort of clinging to the run of games argument (as per Conor townsend), I don't see how it happens though and we wouldn't loan him out, would we?
Albion Family !!!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #384 on: February 28, 2020, 09:59:27 AM »
I'm sort of clinging to the run of games argument (as per Conor townsend), I don't see how it happens though and we wouldn't loan him out, would we?

I think it depends if we get any offers for him. It's Ok a club wanting to sell a player but another club has to want to buy him and not just that but buy him at a price the selling club deem acceptable. If that doesn't happen it may well be we send him out on loan.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #385 on: February 28, 2020, 10:03:40 AM »
buying a big strong hold up player with a bit of pace that had shown he could cut it in the championship in previous seasons. Basically Ken should be where HRK is and doing what he’s doing. As Hal’s shown it should fit our style but he hasn’t.

Exactly this.

I have seen him showcase his potential on a few occasions (unfortunately too infrequently) and I can certainly understand why we bought him. People who say it was baffling signing, the money we paid is nothing for a striker these days especially when you consider his age. His goal record for Cardiff was 1 in 4 and that includes a very difficult Prem season. On paper he is has everything we want to play that lone striker role in our system but he just doesn't seem refined enough yet, perhaps he never will be, but I wouldn't want the person who identified him to be lynched for it. My biggest issue with Ken is he doesn't seem aggressive enough, he needs to fight more and utilize his strength, he should be bullying defenders at this level.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #386 on: February 28, 2020, 10:12:02 AM »

Me too. I think with a run in the side, which he's never had, he has all the attributes to be as effective as HRK. However he hasn't shown enough to warrant a decent run in the side. Catch 22 really.

KingKoren mentioned his goal scoring record at Cardiff. He has a 1 in 4 goal record with us as well. (well 4 in 17).

I wonder if he'll start against Newcastle or whether it'll be Austin?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #387 on: February 28, 2020, 10:13:21 AM »
Me too. I think with a run in the side, which he's never had, he has all the attributes to be as effective as HRK. However he hasn't shown enough to warrant a decent run in the side. Catch 22 really.

KingKoren mentioned his goal scoring record at Cardiff. He has a 1 in 4 goal record with us as well. (well 4 in 17).

I wonder if he'll start against Newcastle or whether it'll be Austin?

I am not a Charlie Austin fan and I would hope Ken gets and grabs an opportunity.
Albion Family !!!

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #388 on: February 28, 2020, 10:19:19 AM »
I thought the same before we signed him but it is clear that he is not a target man, people just expect this due to his physique. He likes to run in behind or go wide in space to pick up the ball to run at goal. That is half of what we require from our front man, we require somebody who can be a target and hold it whilst linking the play. He is probably more effective in a counter attacking team I'd suggest.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #389 on: February 28, 2020, 10:44:12 AM »
He just isn't good enough that is the main point.

For a big lad he is not strong at all and is useless in the air. He is so one sided too it is unbelievable. He reminds me of Ishmael Miller.

Bad bad signing. Get rid in the summer.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:53:04 PM by Political Cake »

baggiedom

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #390 on: February 28, 2020, 11:38:55 AM »
Fabian de freitas mk.2 :'(
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:53:48 PM by Political Cake »

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #391 on: February 28, 2020, 02:21:41 PM »
It was a strange signing to put it mildly. Even Cardiff's most loyal fans couldn't believe that we signed him and, more important, how much we reportedly paid for him.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #392 on: February 28, 2020, 03:15:20 PM »
He seems to have a quality touch and a decent finish in there but as others have said it seems to be his desire and determination to get physical which is his big weakness. He could learn a lot from HRK in this respect. You win some you lose some but if we go up I'd be trying to lose him as I can't see where he could fit in if he's not been good enough this season..........

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #393 on: February 28, 2020, 05:07:02 PM »
In some respects, the success (and relative fitness) of our first choice team means that there are a number of players on the fringe of the squad that we are just not seeing anything like the game time they would like. Zohore, Brunt, Austin and a number of others fall into this category. Will we ever see Peltier play for example?  It is an unfortunate feature of a high performing team that it does not change that much.  Zohore should feature for at least part of the cup game when we should rotate.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #394 on: February 28, 2020, 05:43:33 PM »
I think Zohore was a bit of a panic buy. The club were under alot of pressure from fans (including I daresay a fair number on here) to compensate for the loss of Gayle and Jay Rod. He was just someone available who was within our budget, so the club wouldn't face criticism for not replacing the other two.  Even with Austin arriving later in the same window, I don't think we adequately replaced Gayle and Jay Rod. However, Billic has been clever in changing the formation around, so our goals are spread around the team.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #395 on: February 29, 2020, 11:14:32 AM »
Chief happy clapper here. 8)

I concede that we paid too much for Zohore although I believe we structured the deal in a way that Cardiff only get the full £8m if he is an unbridled sucess which I don't think he has been. I would point out that the 3rd choice striker is always a failure indeed the 3rd choice anything is probably a failure. They simply don't get enough game time to be anything else.

Going into the season we had 3 options Austin Zohore and HRK. Bilic has got more of a tune out of HRK than anyone thought possible so the other two have been limited for game time. Austin is a least as big as failure as Zohore in that he is very obviously not the type of striker that Bilic needs to make his tactics work. Zohore probably should be ahead of Austin in the pecking order but isn't whether that is a failure on the part of the player or the club in bringing in the wrong player is anyone's guess.

Yet the general principle applies that don't rush to judgement as we don't know how a player works out until you he gets onto the pitch and you see how the coach wants to use him. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #396 on: February 29, 2020, 06:02:05 PM »
Chief happy clapper here. 8)

I concede that we paid too much for Zohore although I believe we structured the deal in a way that Cardiff only get the full £8m if he is an unbridled sucess which I don't think he has been. I would point out that the 3rd choice striker is always a failure indeed the 3rd choice anything is probably a failure. They simply don't get enough game time to be anything else.

Going into the season we had 3 options Austin Zohore and HRK. Bilic has got more of a tune out of HRK than anyone thought possible so the other two have been limited for game time. Austin is a least as big as failure as Zohore in that he is very obviously not the type of striker that Bilic needs to make his tactics work. Zohore probably should be ahead of Austin in the pecking order but isn't whether that is a failure on the part of the player or the club in bringing in the wrong player is anyone's guess.

Yet the general principle applies that don't rush to judgement as we don't know how a player works out until you he gets onto the pitch and you see how the coach wants to use him.
Townsend and O'Shea were both 3rd choices  a few weeks ago. They have both done well. Otherwise agree with what you say.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #397 on: March 03, 2020, 10:33:01 PM »
Big ken had a good game today worthy of his spot on the bench he offers a lot more than Austin in this system
O Albion we love you

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #398 on: March 03, 2020, 11:16:45 PM »
Big ken had a good game today worthy of his spot on the bench he offers a lot more than Austin in this system
Stephen Hawkins would offer more than Austin in this system
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #399 on: March 03, 2020, 11:57:13 PM »
Stephen Hawkins would offer more than Austin in this system

Haha...
He was a nuisance he runs channels held it up well made one and scored one... I would be knocking on slaven door if I was him
O Albion we love you