Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 724830 times)

divinewind

• WBA Coach

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #3275 on: June 07, 2019, 12:08:57 PM »
I think the Bilic article is just rehashed news. He had the second interview days ago.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3276 on: June 07, 2019, 12:10:46 PM »
I think the Bilic article is just rehashed news. He had the second interview days ago.
The article states he was at the training ground for the talks yesterday, and its The Perce so pretty solid rather than rehashed I would suggest.....
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3277 on: June 07, 2019, 12:19:08 PM »
Will it be worth the wait??

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3278 on: June 07, 2019, 12:25:39 PM »
The article states he was at the training ground for the talks yesterday, and its The Perce so pretty solid rather than rehashed I would suggest.....

Fingers crossed then. I would prefer Bilic out of all the names we have been linked with.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3279 on: June 07, 2019, 12:26:17 PM »
I would be very happy if Bilic gets the job. After the media surrounding this I'll be very angry if almost anyone else the job suddenly.

As said, you can't have two rounds of talks with someone and then not sign them. The first round would have included discussions on style, funds, expectations and contract requirements. The second round would be similar but in more depth.

It all sounds very promising and if he gets the job we could attract some decent players. Fail to land him and I fear we'll be in a relegation scrap next season.

Yes, it certainly does look like the club is facing a binary choice between either appointing Bilic or facing a relegation battle next season.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3280 on: June 07, 2019, 12:43:08 PM »
Wanted Jokanovic, but would be equally as pleased with Bilic.

And to be fair, I think most of the candidates we have been linked with and interviewed would be an upgrade, to an extent, on our last three previous Head Coaches (sorry Darren).
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3281 on: June 07, 2019, 12:46:53 PM »
If you are offering me Bilic over the likes of Bowyer, Appleton et al I would snatch your hand off.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3282 on: June 07, 2019, 01:00:14 PM »
Just saw this on Twitter from a BEin Sports reporter  Tancredi Palmeri. Verified account , official acccount 180k followers.

"How do you say West Bromwich in Portuguese? WBA in talks with surprise candidate Rui Almeida from Troyes for managerial role. Meeting already took place and he is in final shortlist. Finished 3rd in Ligue2"

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3283 on: June 07, 2019, 01:01:43 PM »
I am waiting for the sting in the tail message that ends the interest in Bilic..... been here before 😔
MAGA!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3284 on: June 07, 2019, 01:04:49 PM »
Just saw this on Twitter from a BEin Sports reporter  Tancredi Palmeri. Verified account , official acccount 180k followers.

"How do you say West Bromwich in Portuguese? WBA in talks with surprise candidate Rui Almeida from Troyes for managerial role. Meeting already took place and he is in final shortlist. Finished 3rd in Ligue2"

If that is the case these talks must've been a few days ago. Perfectly possible. I'd say things will have moved on from this though.

Still, with Albion, who knows?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3285 on: June 07, 2019, 01:05:06 PM »
If Bilic is appointed, it begs the question why he wasn’t appointed a lot sooner as he has been a free agent since February, it’s mind boggling, but it is Albion  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3286 on: June 07, 2019, 01:09:36 PM »
If Bilic is appointed, it begs the question why he wasn’t appointed a lot sooner as he has been a free agent since February, it’s mind boggling, but it is Albion  ;D

People change their minds...

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3287 on: June 07, 2019, 01:10:24 PM »

Simple answer: They would have had to pay him
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3288 on: June 07, 2019, 01:14:20 PM »
Simple answer: They would have had to pay him

I think that the £170m from promotion would just about have covered it, probably
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3289 on: June 07, 2019, 01:15:09 PM »
People change their minds...

Who changed their mind? Is there a link to that story?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3290 on: June 07, 2019, 01:16:01 PM »

If that is the case these talks must've been a few days ago. Perfectly possible. I'd say things will have moved on from this though.

Still, with Albion, who knows?

True perhaps he was one of the unnamed parties. I think and hope it will all be done with by Monday. We need to get cracking.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3291 on: June 07, 2019, 01:18:38 PM »

I thought we had gone through all the "A" candidates  :o
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3292 on: June 07, 2019, 01:21:43 PM »
Yes, it certainly does look like the club is facing a binary choice between either appointing Bilic or facing a relegation battle next season.

Tone is hard to grasp in text, so apologies if you're being genuine. But in my opinion, Slaven would be an excellent appointment and could attract some good players. But If we suddenly change course and appoint another Alan Irvine out of leftfield then I truly believe we won't be able to bring in true quality. We only got 4th because of Gayle/Rodriguezs goals and Barnes earlier contribution. 2 of 3 are gone and the third will likely leave too. I'm not convinced we can replace 50 goals with the funds we have, especially if potential signings think we have no ambition.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3293 on: June 07, 2019, 01:36:07 PM »
Bilic did a good job when he was in charge of Croatia and plays attractive football which is a plus. Out of all the candidates mentioned I'd be delighted if he was appointed as he's played and managed in England so should have idea on players he wants.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3294 on: June 07, 2019, 01:40:47 PM »
Bilic did a good job when he was in charge of Croatia and plays attractive football which is a plus. Out of all the candidates mentioned I'd be delighted if he was appointed as he's played and managed in England so should have idea on players he wants.

He will also have knowledge of the european leagues and we could pick up some bargains. He is also very passionate and a bit eccentric. He ticks all the boxes for me.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3295 on: June 07, 2019, 02:16:13 PM »
Bilic is.my preferred candidate too. Sign him up.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3296 on: June 07, 2019, 02:17:35 PM »
Slavan in .Andy Carroll a cert to follow  :D

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3297 on: June 07, 2019, 02:34:22 PM »
I think the "why didn't we appoint whoever in March line?" Might be answered because Bilic or any other potential candidate might have been a little bit wary of taking over a out of form team at the tail end of the season with very little time to work with them. Equally the squad would be broken up at the end of the season so they would starting from scratch but with the potential millstone of the end of season "failure" hanging round there necks. Overall not an attractive proposition particularly for a coach who will have alternatives come the end of the European season.

Specifically in Bilic's case he seems to have interests outside of football and while he has made a very good living from the game does not strike me as the type of person that will go to hell to squeeze the last pound out of it As such he could simply want some time off the management treadmill. 

While we seem to be pursuing Bilic and I hope we land him I don't see it in quite the stark terms of appoint Bilic or it's league one for us. Equally I am not pinning any hopes on Bilic or any other coach bringing much to the table with regard to recruitment. Yes their philosophy and tactical approach will underpin everything we do (hopefully) but the targets will be those that the club has scouted already for the most part.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3298 on: June 07, 2019, 02:40:22 PM »
I think the "why didn't we appoint whoever in March line?" Might be answered because Bilic or any other potential candidate might have been a little bit wary of taking over a out of form team at the tail end of the season with very little time to work with them. Equally the squad would be broken up at the end of the season so they would starting from scratch but with the potential millstone of the end of season "failure" hanging round there necks. Overall not an attractive proposition particularly for a coach who will have alternatives come the end of the European season.

Specifically in Bilic's case he seems to have interests outside of football and while he has made a very good living from the game does not strike me as the type of person that will go to hell to squeeze the last pound out of it As such he could simply want some time off the management treadmill. 

While we seem to be pursuing Bilic and I hope we land him I don't see it in quite the stark terms of appoint Bilic or it's league one for us. Equally I am not pinning any hopes on Bilic or any other coach bringing much to the table with regard to recruitment. Yes their philosophy and tactical approach will underpin everything we do (hopefully) but the targets will be those that the club has scouted already for the most part.

His previous job in Saudi Arabia surely suggests otherwise

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3299 on: June 07, 2019, 02:47:31 PM »
My opinions
+ Experience in Croatia / Russia / Turkey / Saudi / UK
+ I imagine he has a good knowledge of players from markets which we have not tapped into previously.
+ He has a good knowledge of UK football
+ He has a reputation for playing attractive football
+++ Along with his native Croatian, Bilić is fluent in German, Italian and English, while he also holds a degree in law. The man is no fool !!

- when WHUFC started losing he struggled to arrest the slide
- may be prone to being dogmatic
- a bit of a maverick which will not fit well with the chinese who are generally very conservative

I would employ him tomorrow, wether our circumstances are such that he can deal with, its impossible to say, but he is by far and away the best option I have seen linked.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!