Poll

How often do you hear homophobic abuse at The Hawthorns?

Never
Once or twice a season
Once or twice per match
A number of times per match
It's the main type of abuse I hear

Author Topic: How often do you hear homophobic abuse at The Hawthorns?  (Read 21135 times)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: How often do you hear homophobic abuse at The Hawthorns?
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2017, 01:54:32 AM »
Getting back on topic I have never experienced homophobia nor homophobic abuse at the Hawthorns.

That said I never give nor receive via the rusty highway, and so to my mind I may never take nor receive offence from those who ironically are so anally retentive as to deride such pass times  ;D .

If anyone is so one eyed as to take offence by this post and feels the need to quote it as an example of homophobia, lick my sweaty ring piece in advance as it's meant purely 'tongue in cheek'  ;) .

COYB  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2017, 10:06:50 PM »
Good thread. For me, homophobic abuse is every bit as hurtful as racist abuse.  In the 80s when attitudes on the monkey chants and bans throwing started to change, some fans used the same arguments I am seeing here.  In summary these are: it's just a bit of fun or that people need to have a thicker skin. Anyone  needs to be comfortable coming to match.  Interesting thought.  How many great black and Asian players did not play professionally because of abuse? Are we happy if we put off the next great England players just because they are gay? I for one am not.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2017, 10:46:05 PM »
Good thread. For me, homophobic abuse is every bit as hurtful as racist abuse.  In the 80s when attitudes on the monkey chants and bans throwing started to change, some fans used the same arguments I am seeing here.  In summary these are: it's just a bit of fun or that people need to have a thicker skin. Anyone  needs to be comfortable coming to match.  Interesting thought.  How many great black and Asian players did not play professionally because of abuse? Are we happy if we put off the next great England players just because they are gay? I for one am not.

Some good points. Like yourself, I don't feel it's right to use something about someone's body or beliefs as an excuse to abuse someone. I think banter between friends is fine, as long as everyone is cool with it. But I realise we live in an age where anyone overhearing comments made in public has the right to challenge.

My main issue is why is it important? Who a footballer (or anyone else for that matter) sleeps with or does what ever with, is nothing to do with me and doesn't change my views about their sporting abilities. I don't look more favourably upon a player because he is known for bedding lots of women. It really makes no difference to me, so why should someone's sexual preference? Yet it's all we seem to hear about. I guess I just wondered if anyone felt the same as me - I have no problem with LGBT, just the amount I'm told I have to be more accepting (I do accept others) and less abusive (I'm not abusive)...

On the flip side, I appreciate some forms of abuse can be linked to geography. Such as the Glasgow derby. It's very religious-based and there is a deep hatred because of this. Yet, I'm not sure football fans go to The Hawthorns thinking "I'm going to abuse Robert Koren because he's a devout Catholic" or something.

Not intended as a rant...can you tell I've had a day of kids being rude and disrespectful to me? lol.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2017, 11:59:11 PM »
Some good points. Like yourself, I don't feel it's right to use something about someone's body or beliefs as an excuse to abuse someone. I think banter between friends is fine, as long as everyone is cool with it. But I realise we live in an age where anyone overhearing comments made in public has the right to challenge.

My main issue is why is it important? Who a footballer (or anyone else for that matter) sleeps with or does what ever with, is nothing to do with me and doesn't change my views about their sporting abilities. I don't look more favourably upon a player because he is known for bedding lots of women. It really makes no difference to me, so why should someone's sexual preference? Yet it's all we seem to hear about. I guess I just wondered if anyone felt the same as me - I have no problem with LGBT, just the amount I'm told I have to be more accepting (I do accept others) and less abusive (I'm not abusive)...

On the flip side, I appreciate some forms of abuse can be linked to geography. Such as the Glasgow derby. It's very religious-based and there is a deep hatred because of this. Yet, I'm not sure football fans go to The Hawthorns thinking "I'm going to abuse Robert Koren because he's a devout Catholic" or something.

Not intended as a rant...can you tell I've had a day of kids being rude and disrespectful to me? lol.
Well I'm abused for being fat, bald and wearing glasses, do i go crying to the press or the police or the pc brigade? No i don't i sort it myself! Being bald and wearing glasses i can't do anything about being fat i can but that doesn't stop the abuse but it seems if you got abuse about your sexuality, colour or religion it's disgusting and hatred but not if your fat, bald and wear glasses that's ok.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2017, 01:06:07 AM »
Well I'm abused for being fat, bald and wearing glasses, do i go crying to the press or the police or the pc brigade? No i don't i sort it myself! Being bald and wearing glasses i can't do anything about being fat i can but that doesn't stop the abuse but it seems if you got abuse about your sexuality, colour or religion it's disgusting and hatred but not if your fat, bald and wear glasses that's ok.

It didnt used to be a crime to be fat, bald or have to wear glasses though.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:13:00 AM by Jimmy »

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2017, 04:30:46 AM »
It didnt used to be a crime to be fat, bald or have to wear glasses though.

Watch any of the videos where Cyrillic Regis or Brendan Batson talk about how it felt to be on the pitch in the 1970s and 1980s. The recent whites v blacks documentary is a great example. Brendan's wife never felt able to go to a game because of f how it made her feel. I would never abuse anyone for being fat or bald either but there is a world of difference between this and racial and homophobic abuse. 

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2017, 08:19:46 AM »
Watch any of the videos where Cyrillic Regis or Brendan Batson talk about how it felt to be on the pitch in the 1970s and 1980s. The recent whites v blacks documentary is a great example. Brendan's wife never felt able to go to a game because of f how it made her feel. I would never abuse anyone for being fat or bald either but there is a world of difference between this and racial and homophobic abuse.

Is he Cyrille's Bulgarian cousin  ;) ?
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2017, 08:34:06 AM »
Is he Cyrille's Bulgarian cousin  ;) ?

Oops! Predictiive typing iI am afraid

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2017, 08:46:09 AM »

Loose weight, wear contacts and wear a hat or a wig or embrace a skin head. All three can be changed. And a black or gay person can also be all three.

Sexuality, skin colour, disability are major factors of a person that they are normally born with that is why they are different from you getting abuse for being overweight.

When have any of those ailments you suffer from ever been illegal or historically used as a reason to enslave or teat someone as a second class citizen?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 02:40:55 PM by BoingFlyer »
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2017, 04:30:35 PM »
Loose weight, wear contacts and wear a hat or a wig or embrace a skin head. All three can be changed. And a black or gay person can also be all three.

Sexuality, skin colour, disability are major factors of a person that they are normally born with that is why they are different from you getting abuse for being overweight.

When have any of those ailments you suffer from ever been illegal or historically used as a reason to enslave or teat someone as a second class citizen?
Utter pc rubbish, I'm sorry if i came across as being bothered about what people say about me, but people who know me will actually know i couldn't give flying!!!

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2017, 04:35:05 PM »
Utter pc rubbish, I'm sorry if i came across as being bothered about what people say about me, but people who know me will actually know i couldn't give flying!!!

So you don't think the slave trade happened or people were 'cured' or persecuted for being gay?  :-\
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Jordie1471

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2017, 05:06:56 PM »
So you don't think the slave trade happened or people were 'cured' or persecuted for being gay?  :-\

People still are 'cured' and persecuted for being gay. Its appalling.

Cant say i'm looking forward to a short stop over in UAE in 3 weeks time. A country where gay people can face lifetime in prison or even the death penalty.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2017, 05:07:27 PM »
Not sure if it is only black slaves and gays who have been persecuted but it would certainly appear so from those making the most noise about what are in the main past issues. Sorry about it and all that but as the rest of us learn to live with being told who and what we must like or dislike, or agree or disagree with, you who feel the need to ressurrect past persecutions should learn to live with what you say happened then, and move on.  I find that most people on a purely personal level really have few prejudices, the problems tend to arise with the mob rule ethic so prevalent in modern minority groups. Them that shout the loudest get the most attention, however that attention may well not always be what they would wish for.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2017, 05:10:14 PM »

I appreciate your point but that's no longer the case, how much longer are people going to use that has an excuse?
I guess the answer is forever liberals blame those of us alive now for the empire etc why?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2017, 06:46:40 PM »
Last chance

Can we stay on topic please?

Otherwise it goes.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2017, 08:06:55 PM »
Come on fellas. Here's another point: If you heard a homophobic comment, would you speak to the person who said it, mention it to one of the stewards or ignore it? I'd like to think I'd say something.

Another thing that would be interesting to find out (not sure if anyone has links to the club who could find out) is if/how many complaints are reported to the club regarding homophobic comments? The media doesn't tend to say that specific incidents have been reported, it seems as though it's a given that fans will make homophobic remarks and that in itself is news worthy.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2017, 09:16:08 PM »
There was a documentary a few years back by Fashnu's daughter who basically tried to look at homophobia in football and honestly it didn't really uncover anything (I think it was on BBC 3 so you can imagine the level of quality which was pretty awful)

Interestingly, Steven Reid at the time said on twitter it was trying to make a story and that no-one in the footballing world really cared about if someone is gay. I tend to agree with him, at least from the stands I don't think anyone really cares. Maybe in the 70's it would be different but I think these days there's worse things to worry about.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2017, 09:27:23 PM »
I can honestly say I've never heard a homophobic comment at The Hawthorns - not even banter that could be construed as such.

I think if a player did come out, then they would get some stick from the crowd, but only really because it was something that marks the player out as different, like how people chant about players with fat arses. Only a few would be malicious, most would just chant to put the player off and try to gain an advantage for the team.

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2017, 08:32:06 AM »
"get up you puff"

"what a gayboy"

the whole sol campbell

On a personal level comments like that are just generalisation, and not aimed at me either and i do understand its part of the terraces (rightly or wrongly) so theyve never bothered me. Ive only ever brought one male partner down the albion and nobody said anything bar one or 2 funny looks. I wouldnt feel comfortable holding hands or any sign of affection but im not really a public affection type of guy, but being bisexual you can see the difference, ive took a few girlfriends to matches and i havent had to worry like when i brought a male partner.

From away games, i think were pretty good compared to a lot of supporters from other teams. West ham is the only place ive felt slightly uncomfortable.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2017, 01:46:34 AM »
"get up you puff"

"what a gayboy"

the whole sol campbell

On a personal level comments like that are just generalisation, and not aimed at me either and i do understand its part of the terraces (rightly or wrongly) so theyve never bothered me. Ive only ever brought one male partner down the albion and nobody said anything bar one or 2 funny looks. I wouldnt feel comfortable holding hands or any sign of affection but im not really a public affection type of guy, but being bisexual you can see the difference, ive took a few girlfriends to matches and i havent had to worry like when i brought a male partner.

From away games, i think were pretty good compared to a lot of supporters from other teams. West ham is the only place ive felt slightly uncomfortable.

I think that's the real issue. It shouldn't be like that, and comments like 'get up you puff' etc don't help. I know it doesn't seem like much, but as others have said in this thread and others, the same sort of comments were made to black players which are no longer accepted, so I personally think it shouldn't be tolerated for people who chose a different sexuality either.

I know a lot of people would say it doesn't matter, but I guarantee that if a player came out there would be some sort of abuse or heckles aimed at them at the ground

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2017, 11:48:02 AM »
I think that's the real issue. It shouldn't be like that, and comments like 'get up you puff' etc don't help. I know it doesn't seem like much, but as others have said in this thread and others, the same sort of comments were made to black players which are no longer accepted, so I personally think it shouldn't be tolerated for people who chose a different sexuality either.

I know a lot of people would say it doesn't matter, but I guarantee that if a player came out there would be some sort of abuse or heckles aimed at them at the ground

You don't choose your sexuality - that's kind of the point as to why homophobic abuse should not be tolerated
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2017, 02:29:11 PM »
Honestly? Never in my life have i heard homophobic abuse at the Hawthorns.