Author Topic: 14 May 2019 Albion 1 Aston Villa 0 (Play Off 2nd Leg)  (Read 111437 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #600 on: May 15, 2019, 12:04:09 AM »
Well we ain't going to Wembley and I'm a bit relieved because who every we had to play would have hammered us we really are a one man team ablit a two man team when Barnes was here.

Bilston Dan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #601 on: May 15, 2019, 12:06:08 AM »
Utterly dejected. I suppose on the positive note it gives us a good chance to build a squad for next season and stats wise a lot of clubs who lose in the play-offs are usually up there the next season. Here's hoping. I just hope Villa lose and Norwich get fudged all season, bit like Fulham.
"I don't get hangovers, I just feel sick and have a headache"

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #602 on: May 15, 2019, 12:13:58 AM »
Just back from the Irish pub in Hamburg watching it with one other person- just happened to be a Villa fan ::) We hardly spoke to one another.
I think it was Gayle's sending off, Brunt's sending off with HRK's unavailabilty which ultimately cost us.
The team showed terrific character, especially the experienced players. I don't blame Brunt. He gave his all and mistimed his tackle. We were down to the bare bones at the end and I saw a stat 89/11% possession for Villa. It was embarassing parking the bus, but our squad was that depleted, whilst Villa were jammy enough to have a fully fit squad at their disposal. Villa were definitely looking for fouls and freekicks from the start.
Taking off J-Rod with penalties looming was probably the wrong move, especially as Shan didn't look like we were trying to win the game in extra time. Was a bit disappointed Johnston didn't stop any. He should have known a bit about the Villa players.

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #603 on: May 15, 2019, 12:14:14 AM »
Brunt cost us big time tonight, we had them on the ropes 11 v 11. For a player of his expereince that should be the last we see of him tonight.
brunt was put in a position that he had to make the foul to stop mcginn shooting, hegazi caused that second yellow. Shame because every single one of them worked their balls off tonight
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

tegga

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #604 on: May 15, 2019, 12:15:12 AM »
Proud to be a baggie tonight after that, but feel let down by the penalty misses.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #605 on: May 15, 2019, 12:19:27 AM »
Can all the negativity and moaning go on a separate thread please, maybe a post season thread, this after match debate deserves a little bit of pride in a brave performance from the team, and magnificent support from the fans. Felt we gave an average Villa team a little more respect than they deserved too.
Agree with this . I think some people are reflecting on the whole season here,rather than tonights match.They gave everything tonight and just came up short. Morrison who did nothing after coming on as sub, should have taken the first penalty, and given us the chance to put pressure on their first taker.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #606 on: May 15, 2019, 12:19:47 AM »
Just back from the Irish pub in Hamburg watching it with one other person- just happened to be a Villa fan ::) We hardly spoke to one another.
I think it was Gayle's sending off, Brunt's sending off with HRK's unavailabilty which ultimately cost us.
The team showed terrific character, especially the experienced players. I don't blame Brunt. He gave his all and mistimed his tackle. We were down to the bare bones at the end and I saw a stat 89/11% possession for Villa. It was embarassing parking the bus, but our squad was that depleted, whilst Villa were jammy enough to have a fully fit squad at their disposal. Villa were definitely looking for fouls and freekicks from the start.
Taking off J-Rod with penalties looming was probably the wrong move, especially as Shan didn't look like we were trying to win the game in extra time. Was a bit disappointed Johnston didn't stop any. He should have known a bit about the Villa players.
2 strikers (which is basically all we have) and a very old and cream crackered midfielder.
Says it all really. Mr Jenkins must be feeling very proud and boastful now.
I can see him strutting around with his belly stuck out.
Edit was a spelling mistake.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #607 on: May 15, 2019, 12:23:20 AM »
Utterly dejected. I suppose on the positive note it gives us a good chance to build a squad for next season and stats wise a lot of clubs who lose in the play-offs are usually up there the next season. Here's hoping. I just hope Villa lose and Norwich get fudged all season, bit like Fulham.
well Jenkins and Co will have a good try to bugger that stat up.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #608 on: May 15, 2019, 12:26:38 AM »
Heartbreaking

I am so proud of all of them tonight - that was a bloody fantastic effort and one which made me feel quite proud as I walked out the ground.

I really don’t know what to say to be honest

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #609 on: May 15, 2019, 12:27:34 AM »
well Jenkins and Co will have a good try to bugger that stat up.
They don't have to try. They just don't have a clue! Should not be any where near a management position.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #610 on: May 15, 2019, 01:03:25 AM »
Gutted about the result but very proud of the team and fans tonight.

No away goals rule unfortunately, spurs get to a champs league final having not won the qf or sf but the efl deem the rule unnecessary.

In both games imo Brunt did nothing, I said he should have gone off after he got a yellow as he has never been able to tackle and it is time to say goodbye to a great servant and it is only a shame that morrison can't go too.

We need a complete rebuild and I hope we can get Hughton who took bha from relegation candidates to play off and then finally up in 2 seasons.

Next appointment is massive and I prey we make the right decision.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #611 on: May 15, 2019, 01:05:42 AM »
Not got home yet,just stopped off for some food but I must say that I agree with everything that Atomic said,nighty night fellow baggies.

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #612 on: May 15, 2019, 01:17:46 AM »
superb performance tonight, players left everything on the pitch , at least we won the game, I point the finger at Shan and his aides, again very poor game management, two midfield players both on yellow cards and knackered , what did they think would happen if he left them on the pitch did he not learn from the Gayle situation on Saturday, Brunts sending off was a nailed on certainty once he had left him on the pitch. what instructions was he giving Leko we needed a player to stay up front in xtra time especially when they were getting a number of corners etc , but what happened everybody went back inviting them to push everyone forward, and there was no outlet ball. and whoever worked out the penalty shootout by sending young Holgate up first, yes we were short of takers once we lost brunt and  J Rod being taken off , but surely the senior pros should have stepped up first , as the last 3 penalties showed.
one thing is for certain a new manager will need a clear out and new blood must come in for next season we are a mile off being ready for the premier league, I just hope we do not have to wait to long
 before we return

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #613 on: May 15, 2019, 01:40:54 AM »
I can't ever remember a time when I've been more proud of our team. My god. Everything went against us over the two legs and to force extra time given everything that happened to us was a near miracle, an unbelievably gutsy effort.

Villa weren't going to score tonight whatever happened, we were a brick wall of a team foe once.

To get as far as we did and lose on penalties is just damn cruel. As always happens though in a huge match between us and the scum they always win through one way or another.

Just think, if the ref had done his job properly in the first leg and given us a penalty for Abraham's barge on Holgate we'd almost certainly have won the tie.

I hope whoever they get at Wembley turns them over.

We couldn't even get a break on which end the pens were taken.

The officiating and cheating from the S cum just reminded me of raging bull when la motta is forced to lose but he says to Robinson, you never got me down Ray, you never got me down, as he held on to the ropes, bloodied and battered.

You may have cheated your way to the final, but they didn't batter us like they boasted they would do with their 10 wins in a row c rap.

Please God let Leeds win their next two games.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #614 on: May 15, 2019, 01:41:29 AM »
superb performance tonight, players left everything on the pitch , at least we won the game, I point the finger at Shan and his aides, again very poor game management, two midfield players both on yellow cards and knackered , what did they think would happen if he left them on the pitch did he not learn from the Gayle situation on Saturday, Brunts sending off was a nailed on certainty once he had left him on the pitch. what instructions was he giving Leko we needed a player to stay up front in xtra time especially when they were getting a number of corners etc , but what happened everybody went back inviting them to push everyone forward, and there was no outlet ball. and whoever worked out the penalty shootout by sending young Holgate up first, yes we were short of takers once we lost brunt and  J Rod being taken off , but surely the senior pros should have stepped up first , as the last 3 penalties showed.
one thing is for certain a new manager will need a clear out and new blood must come in for next season we are a mile off being ready for the premier league, I just hope we do not have to wait to long
 before we return
We were so short of first team regulars that we didn't have the luxury of taking off anyone who wasn't shattered. Wondering if JRod fell into that category, as it would have been strange taking him off with the real possibility of pens. Leko and Harper made very little contribution.
But, in the end we were only one last shot away from a Play-Off Final appearance
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:43:16 AM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #615 on: May 15, 2019, 02:06:31 AM »
The tie was lost in the first leg. The sending off to Gayle hurt us. Brunt going today didn't help. Gayle on pitch today we would have won in 90 minutes.

Can't fault the players to a man they ran through walls for the cause. I am proud of them. On that showing I can't see villa winning in a final. We as good as gifted them it over 2 legs
O Albion we love you

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #616 on: May 15, 2019, 03:10:54 AM »
The tie was lost in the first leg. The sending off to Gayle hurt us. Brunt going today didn't help. Gayle on pitch today we would have won in 90 minutes.

Can't fault the players to a man they ran through walls for the cause. I am proud of them. On that showing I can't see villa winning in a final. We as good as gifted them it over 2 legs

We didn't gift it to them the ref scott gifted it to them.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:53:02 AM by BalisPen »

westbrom3wolves0

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #617 on: May 15, 2019, 03:29:13 AM »
Absolute sickener. Everything besides Brunt’s red card was perfect; the fans, the effort from the lads - spot on. Just a shame that Extra Time ended with the 10 men that were on the pitch, 6 of which were defenders. Not ideal for penalties - but not going to complain about that. Only thing I would have wished was that Mozza took the first pen, score your first one to ease the pressure a bit. Was very surprised to see Holgate take the first pen followed by Hegazi (I think).

It was a great great effort from everyone at the club today and despite the refs decisions and two red cards and the tactics/subs of Shan that we will never agree on collectively, we can hold our heads high and Villa know that they were very very lucky to be going through.

Hopefully this works in our favor and we can get to some much needed rebuilding, beginning with a new manager and a Rondon deal involving Gayle.

We’ve needed a clear out for the past 2-3 seasons, perhaps more. Let’s get some new blood in the squad and look to give it a real go next season.

Proud of the lads, given our half a dozen decent/good performances this season, all I was hoping for going into this game was a 100% effort from the players and the atmosphere to match, and it did. Can’t ask for much more than that.

Proud baggie.
Oooooohhhh West Bromwich Albion! #SPRAY32

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #618 on: May 15, 2019, 05:37:13 AM »
Fans blaming Brunt need to give their head a wobble I'm sorry but if Hegazi just got rid and didn't put him in a awkward situation he wouldn't of had to commit that challenge. The person who needs to take the blame for this season is that dwarf Jenkins.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #619 on: May 15, 2019, 05:42:35 AM »
Fans blaming Brunt need to give their head a wobble I'm sorry but if Hegazi just got rid and didn't put him in a awkward situation he wouldn't of had to commit that challenge. The person who needs to take the blame for this season is that dwarf Jenkins.

Don’t agree but what about his first yellow for going straight threw McGinn on the half-way line? Has he not done that it wouldn’t have been such a problem. That’s what put him on a tight rope.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #620 on: May 15, 2019, 06:55:59 AM »
Well its the morning after the night before.
So proud of the players and fans last night, been a while since we had an atmosphere like that.
Brunty didn't cost us a place at Wembly, two poor transfer windows cost us that.
Not bringing in another striker and some legs in the middle of the park cost us last night and most of the season.
Brunty's challenge was rash, especially being on a yellow but you watch the replay and the reaction of the scum players. Straight in the refs face, led by pikey Jack.
I wouldn't blame any of the players last night we got behind them and they delivered.
We played 40 minutes last night with 10 men against the might of scum village.
I'm not dissapointed at all, but I will be if we don't appoint a proper manager and give him the tools to do a proper job.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #621 on: May 15, 2019, 07:26:52 AM »
This has hit me hard...I’m receiving messages from ‘friends’ who haven’t spoken to me in months, this is why I hate Villa fans!!

So proud of the team last night, it deserved more.

Interested in what happens next at this club, but a rebuild is required from top to bottom
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #622 on: May 15, 2019, 07:34:28 AM »
Well its the morning after the night before.
So proud of the players and fans last night, been a while since we had an atmosphere like that.
Brunty didn't cost us a place at Wembly, two poor transfer windows cost us that.
Not bringing in another striker and some legs in the middle of the park cost us last night and most of the season.
Brunty's challenge was rash, especially being on a yellow but you watch the replay and the reaction of the scum players. Straight in the refs face, led by pikey Jack.
I wouldn't blame any of the players last night we got behind them and they delivered.
We played 40 minutes last night with 10 men against the might of scum village.
I'm not dissapointed at all, but I will be if we don't appoint a proper manager and give him the tools to do a proper job.
They really are masters at it - horrible set of players in the mirror of their manager.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #623 on: May 15, 2019, 08:13:01 AM »
I still can't believe that we didn't put Montero on last night. He is a potential match winner and yet we put Leko on and he's done nothing for two seasons.

wbawill

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #624 on: May 15, 2019, 08:13:27 AM »
They really are masters at it - horrible set of players in the mirror of their manager.

If the Villa fans are proud of the way their players acted over the two legs, then they deserve them. They were absolutely pathetic - falling all over the place, faking injuries, in the ref's face. Disgraceful team.

On a side note, was anyone else surprised how poor the Villa fans were? Barely heard a peep from them all game.