Author Topic: The Cricket Thread  (Read 418169 times)

Dan

• WBA Coach

Re: England Cricket Thread
« Reply #350 on: December 22, 2013, 09:31:18 AM »
Re: the spinner. They can call anyone in the world up if they want.

Cook will rightly lose the captaincy after this series and there will be no dropping of either Pietersen or Anderson (our two best players) also more likely Buttler will be the next long term wicket keeper, not a batsman having a go at it.

They can but they're hardly going to include a second spinner in the squad then call somebody up over him when its actually his chance to play. Panesar's a certainty to start these next two tests (unless he gets injured anyway).

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #351 on: December 22, 2013, 10:22:26 AM »
Swann was a great player for us, and it will be a shame to see him go. However it will look like Monty will be around for a few more years yet. I very much doubt that Cook will lose the captaincy as this is the first series that he has lost as captain out of five.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #352 on: December 22, 2013, 05:58:41 PM »
I wonder if Swann was informed he was going to be dropped and then decided to call it a day - that of course is heresay but I cannot deny that it is a very selfish decision. If he was planning to retire at the end of the series but has since moved it forward because the series is lost, then yet again, that is a very selfish decision. You can bet your bottom dollar that this wouldn't be happening had we been leading the series. Everything that could possibly have gone wrong in this series has gone wrong.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #353 on: December 22, 2013, 07:27:48 PM »
I don't think much of Swann's decision. When you make yourself available for a tour you shouldn't just retire half way through. If you're injured or ill then fair enough pull out but otherwise you should see out the full tour and back up your team mates whether in the team or out of it.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #354 on: December 22, 2013, 07:33:35 PM »
Re: the spinner. They can call anyone in the world up if they want.

Cook will rightly lose the captaincy after this series and there will be no dropping of either Pietersen or Anderson (our two best players) also more likely Buttler will be the next long term wicket keeper, not a batsman having a go at it.
Anderson has been a pale shadow in his last 6 tests - he's not un-droppable. Bell has been our best batsman over the last 12 months. Butler has moved to Lancashire to work on his keeping as he wasn't keeping wicket much for Somerset. He's a talent but is he ready to be keeper in 5 day tests ? - no.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #355 on: December 22, 2013, 09:15:19 PM »
This very good England side over the last four years is breaking up. I still think Jos Buttler will be the ODI keeper. I don't see the end of Matt Prior as I think he will come good again. I think if Swann felt that his body couldn't do it now then why didn't he retire at the end of the summer.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #356 on: December 28, 2013, 12:50:05 PM »
Another batting horror show! All out for 179. Aussies on 30-0 needing 200 to win.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #357 on: December 29, 2013, 03:33:45 AM »
Another easy win for the Aussies 233-2 makes it 4-0.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #358 on: December 29, 2013, 08:17:56 AM »
Simply shocking to be 50-0 at lunch to 179 all out was poor,we had a great chance to win this Test Match and we have been beaten easy. Lets hope we can salvage something at Sydney but even that looks very unlikely.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #359 on: December 29, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »
England lost 8 wickets for seven runs.

They are an absolute disgrace. They are worrying themselves that much against Mitchell Johnson that they are now getting out to ridiculous shots against an average spin bowler.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #360 on: December 29, 2013, 12:38:42 PM »
England lost 8 wickets for seven runs.

They are an absolute disgrace. They are worrying themselves that much against Mitchell Johnson that they are now getting out to ridiculous shots against an average spin bowler.

Exactly! Some of the shots you would not expect only from a pub team tailender ???

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #361 on: December 29, 2013, 12:40:34 PM »
I think Cook needs to look at himself yesterday, his use of his bowlers was very poor.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #362 on: December 29, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »
I think Cook needs to look at himself yesterday, his use of his bowlers was very poor.

I was going to point this out. To give Joe Root two separate spells ahead of the chosen spinner Monty Panesar is ridiculous. What sort of message does that send out? More annoyingly for me was our bowling at Nathan Lyon the other morning. Why were we persisting with the short ball? Let's bowl line and length and get the ball in an around the stumps.

His captaincy deserves to be criticised but he will no doubt keep the role.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #363 on: December 29, 2013, 01:10:16 PM »
Cooks captaincy has been very poor this series. We bowled far too much short stuff to Lyon, line and length and bowl at the wickets. The bowling this series has been good at times but we simply haven't had the runs to back up the bowlers. This has been the worse series that we have had in a long time. Hopefully we can get something positive in Sydney.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #364 on: December 29, 2013, 01:46:17 PM »
The entire team needs a revamp really. Too stale, the batting has been awful since the India home series in 2011 really, particularly away, where with the exception of the India away series its been utterly shambolic. Not only are they awful at batting they're the most boring batting side in the world too, virtually every match is a run rate below 3, often down to around 2.5.

The worst part of the team for me though this series has been the fielding - the only reason for such poor fielding is laziness and not taking the practice serious. Even yesterday another 2 easy catches put down. As much as the bowling has been bad, with the amount of catches being put down every single innings we're essentially asking the bowlers to take about 5 extra wickets per innings.

Flowers and the coaches like Gooch need to go. Cook needs to go as captain as our best batsmen is now a liability and his decisions are always conservative - England need a captain like Clarke. Broad I think would take over and be a much more aggressive style, but its highly unlikely Cook will give up the captaincy. Away from that i'd say the selection needs a shake up but a lot of the replacements are questionable - we've seen with Bairstow he's not up to standard (his glove work has been poor too), so can we drop Prior? Any talk of Jos Buttler is far too premature, anyone who saw his batting in the ICC champions trophy where he was repeatedly bowled by the most innocuous of balls can see he's a long way to go before ever playing test cricket.

This is for me the worst result in England's history. That they're on the verge of whitewash to a Australia team they just beat 3-0, who have a good bowling attack, but are still a pretty poor batting side (Clarke is excellent but the rest range from average to poor), and what's more, haven't been competitive in a single game.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #365 on: January 02, 2014, 10:06:22 PM »
Changes expected for England - Borthwick, Ballance and Rankin expected to be given debuts.

Our middle order will consist of rookies.

Good luck preventing the white wash, lads.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #366 on: January 02, 2014, 10:37:12 PM »
Changes expected for England - Borthwick, Ballance and Rankin expected to be given debuts.

Our middle order will consist of rookies.

Good luck preventing the white wash, lads.

They can't do any worse than what they're replacing. 4 for 6, 5 for 9 etc. Hopefully one or two of them show a bit of character and grasp the nettle.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #367 on: January 04, 2014, 11:57:17 AM »
Just when you think this Tour couldn't get any worse 155 all out we trial by 311 runs only on day too. I think its time for Kevin Pietersen to end his career now he has been so poor, he has always been a player who never really gets into form as for a player of his quality he does get a lot of low scores. Ben Stokes has looked very promising and is certainly one for the future. Broad has done ok on this tour. 
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #368 on: January 04, 2014, 07:29:39 PM »
Just when you think this Tour couldn't get any worse 155 all out we trial by 311 runs only on day too. I think its time for Kevin Pietersen to end his career now he has been so poor, he has always been a player who never really gets into form as for a player of his quality he does get a lot of low scores. Ben Stokes has looked very promising and is certainly one for the future. Broad has done ok on this tour.
Pietersen is the top England run scorer in the series. I can think of about 9 other players I'd rather get rid of.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #369 on: January 04, 2014, 09:01:24 PM »
I wouldn't expect 23/5 in School cricket.

I feel for KP in some way. He has carried a lot of the flak and many of the others have gone unscathed when their performances have been just as bad if not worse.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #370 on: January 04, 2014, 09:10:03 PM »
Australia have bowled far, far better than us and despite having an unspectacular batting line-up they have obviously batted far better than us.

As a couple of times in the past, we have to go back to the drawing board and number one priority is working out how to produce genuine 90 mph bowlers. Johnson has changed the whole picture and Harris and Siddle have been intelligent backing him up.....and Lyon has been better than any of our spinners.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #371 on: January 04, 2014, 09:10:10 PM »
I believe many years ago the late Tony Grieg described i think it was New Zealands poor bowling against England as 'Cafeteria' bowling. I think its fair to say that Englands batting could be described as 'Cafeteria'.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #372 on: January 05, 2014, 08:51:48 AM »
Another pathetic surrender. All out for 166. Feel sorry for the people who paid good money to watch this rubbish.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #373 on: January 05, 2014, 09:15:36 AM »
Well thankfully that is all over, as I couldn't bear another day of that series. Only Stuart Broad and Ben Stokes can take anything away from that series as positive, the rest were an utter shambles. Too many changes cost us in games, the amount of poor shots that batsmen played was unbelievable. Things like Joe Root batting at three, Cook's captaincy at a lot of times during the series was very poor too. On the flip side I am looking forward to this new England team, Stokes, Ballanace, Borthwick, maybe Bairstow. Hopefully we can learn from this and when they come in 2015 we can get revenge.   
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #374 on: January 05, 2014, 10:22:33 AM »
hmmm I don't think we'll bother revisiting our pre series predictions  :-X At least I don't think any of us were as far out as Botham's 5-0 England.