Author Topic: If we don’t go up  (Read 15412 times)

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: If we don’t go up
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2019, 02:20:19 PM »
Either iehter for me.....

If we do go up it will be interesting to see what Darren Moore can do with those players mentioned above in the PL.  No doubt we would struggle as most of these players do sit in the zone of "too good for the Championship, not quite good enough to impact the PL" but hopefully we could continue to play the right way and not in the desperate, strangulating way we did at the end under TP and then Pardew.   We would need to utilise the loan market again as purse strings will be tight at PL level, however it would allow us to keep the majority of players we want and cherry pick from the best of the younger players in the lower divisions and B list abroad, which will set us up to challenge again if we do go down. 

If we don't go up this year then the new recruitment team will really need to start earning their money as the squad will likely go through the complete over-hall that will be due sooner or later anyway. We should be there or there abouts this year, so these players should be trading at the mid-top end of their price range so there will be some money to re-invest and wages should be easier to meet for players outside of the PL experience bracket.   Another year in the division will also tell us just how good our Academy graduates are - the warning is that none of the previous graduates who flew the coop have actually gone on to show themselves as top players yet.   But what if some of those players had come through as a group?  Might it have made a difference?   

My best days as a fan have been dependent on being proud of the team no matter what division.  Yes, the mid table PL years gave real highlights - Uncle Roy's occasional number on one of the big boys were great at the time and those early golden months of Clarke's tenure taking us near the top 6 and ending with the Beast's goals in Fergies 5-5 swan song. However, i've got equally fond memories outside of the PL, including Ossies ridiculous footballing principles on the way to Wembley in the old div 2, SGM making a quality signing for every position we were weak and setting up teams to score first then defend a lead in the Champ, TM's team without any defenders that got us promoted with some great football and came straight back down in a blaze of glory.  Rose tinted possibly......but i have no rose tint associated with just playing to survive and giving up at 40 points.

Spot on.  I’d rather be a yo-yo club and enjoy the swings than just stagnate in the PL trying to limp to 40 points. 

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2019, 09:20:25 PM »
Striking the balance between stripping the squad down but at the same time ensuring it is competitive next year is going to be tricky but not impossible however between the inevitable sales and the parachute payments there should be a sufficent budget to achieve it and a lot more money than most Championship clubs.

The alternative scenario of promotion with this squad might be as much of a challenge. Obviously the club benefits from the Premier League money which could help secure some of the loanees and retain some of the players we would otherwise sell but we could quite easily double the wage bill without any real improvement to the squad.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2019, 12:55:55 AM »
Striking the balance between stripping the squad down but at the same time ensuring it is competitive next year is going to be tricky but not impossible however between the inevitable sales and the parachute payments there should be a sufficent budget to achieve it and a lot more money than most Championship clubs.

The alternative scenario of promotion with this squad might be as much of a challenge. Obviously the club benefits from the Premier League money which could help secure some of the loanees and retain some of the players we would otherwise sell but we could quite easily double the wage bill without any real improvement to the squad.
think no matter what league we are in squad needs to be broken up too many players who think just because someone was foolish enough to pay them Premier league salaries that there Premier league footballers.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2019, 12:58:12 AM »
It would almost be worth the pain of not going up if it means Jake Livermore leaves the club.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2019, 04:50:08 AM »
It would almost be worth the pain of not going up if it means Jake Livermore leaves the club.

If anybody stupid enough to take him off our hands. If we get Harper tied down for next year I would be happy with him and field being our cm and building from there
O Albion we love you

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2019, 06:30:13 AM »
Can we change the name of this thread to when we do not go up? No chance of the top 2 with our home form and would not fancy us in the play offs against more experienced managers like Pulis, Wilder etc.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2019, 09:54:18 AM »
Can we change the name of this thread to when we do not go up? No chance of the top 2 with our home form and would not fancy us in the play offs against more experienced managers like Pulis, Wilder etc.

For me that sealed it last night. I'd be amazed if we made the playoffs and indeed succeeded in winning them. Work to be done we are just naive defensively and lessons are not being learned week in, month out...
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2019, 02:14:40 PM »
For me that sealed it last night. I'd be amazed if we made the playoffs and indeed succeeded in winning them. Work to be done we are just naive defensively and lessons are not being learned week in, month out...

Said at the start we will scrape play offs, nothing has changed for me, can't see us getting top two. If we get through to a play off final with a big pitch at Wembley then maybe it would suit us.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2019, 07:38:37 PM »
Said at the start we will scrape play offs, nothing has changed for me, can't see us getting top two. If we get through to a play off final with a big pitch at Wembley then maybe it would suit us.

I don't want to see us bottle another playoff final, that derby game still makes me feel physically sick.

if we failed to get up we would have one hell of an overhaul. gibbs hegazi dawson we would be losing surely. Probably Rodriguez & Livermore (wouldn't be as concerned if either of these left).

we have 2 keepers. we would need a whole new front line. I doubt we could convince gayle to stay on the money we would be able to afford for championship.
whilst I would be happy starting with a field harper axis and even having leko Edwards being more involved and we might see Fitzwater. it would need some work
O Albion we love you

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2019, 11:09:59 PM »
and we finish in play offs,Dave deserves another chance but only just as in my opinion any tactically astute manager would run away with the league with this lot,just look at our home record ,if we finish outside playoffs he has to go,as he does not have the faith in the younger players,that we are going to need nor does he appear to have the tactically nous and I am not sure what goes on in training,re passing etc

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2019, 02:19:47 AM »
If we don't go up on the back of a series of performances like last night I think the assumption that there would be a mass exodus of the old guard might need to be revisited because I doubt whether any Premier League club would be interested in them.

Although I am never surprised at how inept and poorly researched football recruitment can be. I would go out on a limb and say not a single one of our players would be a good buy for a Premier League club particularly when you factor in their likely wage demands and the fees we would be looking for. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 06:19:25 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2019, 06:38:34 AM »
If we don't go up on the back of a series of performances like last night I think the assumption that there would be a mass exodus of the old guard might need to be revisited because I doubt whether any Premier League club would be interested in them.

Although I am never surprised at how inept and poorly researched football recruitment can be. I would go out on a limb and say not a single one of our players would be a good buy for a Premier League club particularly when you factor in their likely wage demands and the fees we would be looking for.

Gibbs would probably be a worthy buy. And Rondon.

Harper would be a bargain as a free as we still haven’t signed him up....

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2019, 09:31:38 AM »
Starting to feel like the Mowbray playoff season, we just can't string decent results together

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2019, 11:24:18 AM »
Starting to feel like the Mowbray playoff season, we just can't string decent results together
Of the top 10, only Norwich (10 points) and Bristol City (an incredible 15 points, still below us though) have a better points total over the last 5 games.
Yes results could be better but we are more than holding our own.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2019, 12:32:27 PM »
Of the top 10, only Norwich (10 points) and Bristol City (an incredible 15 points, still below us though) have a better points total over the last 5 games.
Yes results could be better but we are more than holding our own.

its remarkable that we are maintaining our position while not performing well, Is this a measure of the quality in the league ??
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2019, 12:40:32 PM »
its remarkable that we are maintaining our position while not performing well, Is this a measure of the quality in the league ??

Given that Boro' are only three points behind us I'd say it very well could be.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2019, 01:11:32 PM »
Regardless of quality, the league is just more competitive. Of the total points available in the Prem, to date, 21% have been won by the top 6, compared to just 15% in the Champ.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2019, 01:21:58 PM »
Regardless of quality, the league is just more competitive. Of the total points available in the Prem, to date, 21% have been won by the top 6, compared to just 15% in the Champ.

Good stat !   very illuminating that is.
That said more clubs in chumps to share the points between, would surely dilute that number.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2019, 01:30:35 PM »
Good stat !   very illuminating that is.
That said more clubs in chumps to share the points between, would surely dilute that number.
Fair point. If you go down to 7th in Champ, still only 17% though.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2019, 01:38:17 PM »
Given that Boro' are only three points behind us I'd say it very well could be.
we know that Tony’s system works, when he can be bothered to make it work.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 05:25:54 PM by OldburyWBA »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2019, 01:46:19 PM »
we know that Tony’s system works, when he can be bothered to make it work.

Yep, feel the points never mind the quality.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 05:26:04 PM by OldburyWBA »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2019, 11:34:32 PM »
 >:( Wouldnt mind the Play off final, at this point, cannot see a top 2 for us. May be rather ironic we play Derby or Boro at Wembley....sods law says it will be one of these 2 ??

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2019, 05:22:15 AM »
It’s still wide open.  For example Leeds have got to play Bristol City and Sheffield United just before they play us.  Any of the top 7 putting a decent run together between now and May can make the automatics.