Author Topic: Sam Field Joins QPR  (Read 218183 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Sam Field
« Reply #625 on: August 06, 2019, 10:55:06 AM »
Shrewsbury for me. Don't think he'll start regularly for Charlton or Barnsley.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #626 on: August 06, 2019, 11:02:24 AM »
I do think it is time for him to, temporarily, fly the nest and gain more experience
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #627 on: August 06, 2019, 11:09:38 AM »
I'd rather he started than Livermore to be honest - Field is a much better passer, and has the potential to develop further.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #628 on: August 06, 2019, 12:41:39 PM »
I'd rather he started than Livermore to be honest - Field is a much better passer, and has the potential to develop further.

I'd agree 100% with that. However it does make me wonder what Bilic is seeing to allow him to go out.

Unless it means Gareth Barry coming back in and he wants Field to get consistent football.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #629 on: August 06, 2019, 12:45:44 PM »

Me too. He's better than both Livermore and Harper. I just do not understand why he get's overlooked. There must be something behind the scenes, a confidence issue or an attitude issue or a consistency issue in training or something, there has to be.

If he's not going to play then he has to go on loan. He needs to be playing games.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #630 on: August 06, 2019, 01:02:28 PM »
its been so long since the kid had a run of games (10-15 consecutive) that he is going to struggle to show his full potential, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is a confidence / psychological issue holding him back after this long on the periphery.

3 options,
a) play him for a significant number of games (likely to be too big a risk for a new manager)
b) Loan him out, seems he is thought to be too good for that
c) Sell him, I suspect that is where this ends up.

I hope Slav will go option A, but think its more likely to be option C
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #631 on: August 06, 2019, 01:04:03 PM »
The problem for Field is the role he plays. He isn't somebody who really shields the back line so he can't be our main defensive midfielder, and he isn't a true attacking mid either. He is a bit of a Borja Valero style player with a great passing range. The problem is for the last few seasons managers at the club haven't felt the need for that pure ball playing midfielder, especially as we gave had Barry who can do that AND shield the defence a bit more. Now we have Sawyers who is even better at the role, Field will struggle to get minutes.

He can develop in to a great player, but he needs fiest team football to fully develop and work out his role in a midfield.
Boing Boing

StourBaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #632 on: August 06, 2019, 01:04:30 PM »
Slav just mentioned every young player in the club except Sam Field in an after match interview.

Agree with some others that it's likely because he wasn't in the squad for the game. In an interview he did after the Bournemouth friendly he mentioned most of the young players, Field included.

I do think he needs some game time elsewhere if he isn't in Bilic's plans, although I have to say I'd have him in the side over Livermore.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #633 on: August 06, 2019, 01:05:27 PM »
its been so long since the kid had a run of games (10-15 consecutive) that he is going to struggle to show his full potential, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is a confidence / psychological issue holding him back after this long on the periphery.

3 options,
a) play him for a significant number of games (likely to be too big a risk for a new manager)
b) Loan him out, seems he is thought to be too good for that
c) Sell him, I suspect that is where this ends up.

I hope Slav will go option A, but think its more likely to be option C

From what I've read Albion have no interest in selling. That tells me he is very highly rated but there is some sort of issue that is holding him back. I may be reading it wrong but that's the impression I get.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #634 on: August 06, 2019, 01:06:12 PM »
Shrewsbury for me. Don't think he'll start regularly for Charlton or Barnsley.

he'd walk into Charlton side. they have to replace Bielik who they had on loan last season in the DM role which is perfectly suited to Field.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #635 on: August 06, 2019, 01:09:03 PM »
he'd walk into Charlton side. they have to replace Bielik who they had on loan last season in the DM role which is perfectly suited to Field.

Then walk out of it after a couple of games.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #636 on: August 06, 2019, 01:14:22 PM »
If he's not going to feature for us then we have to send him out on loan. We've already wasted the last two years of his development and cannot afford to waste another year.

He needs first team football. That will then allow him to the opportunity to improve his physical stature and determine what sort of midfielder he really is.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #637 on: August 06, 2019, 01:25:33 PM »
Needs to go out on loan and see if he can cut it for a season in the championship.No good going to Div1 or 2 .Barnsley would be a good Fit

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #638 on: August 06, 2019, 05:00:50 PM »
I would rather see Field play rather than Sawyers. I’m not a big fan of Sawyers, he’s ok but I think Sam Field has far more potential and his attitude is spot on.

NorthantsBaggie97

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #639 on: August 06, 2019, 05:11:57 PM »
I would rather see Field play rather than Sawyers. I’m not a big fan of Sawyers, he’s ok but I think Sam Field has far more potential and his attitude is spot on.

So you would rather take out Sawyers for Field than take out Livermore for Field?  :o

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #640 on: August 06, 2019, 05:14:21 PM »

Did you watch the game Saturday?

It was probably the most assured and controlling performance that I have seen an Albion midfielder put in for years.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #641 on: August 06, 2019, 05:16:10 PM »
field needs to play 35+ games this season if he isn't going to with us a loan to another championship club is key
O Albion we love you

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #642 on: August 06, 2019, 09:36:10 PM »
Coaches pick teams they think will win them matches. They get sacked if they don’t.

A number of coaches now seem to have decided not to pick Sam. Seems a great lad, but the consistency of judgement is unmistakeable.

There’s still time, but Sam’s 21 in May and won’t be a “young promising local kid” forever.

Has anything changed since I posted this in January? We all want Sam to succeed, especially because he’s an Albion lad and a good character, but wishful thinking won’t make him a star for us.

At the very least he needs to go on loan if Bilic doesn’t plan to use him. He had about 9 hours of Championship game time last year - in other words he wasn’t involved for 87% of the season. That’s not much use for us or for him.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #643 on: August 06, 2019, 09:41:04 PM »
Has anything changed since I posted this in January? We all want Sam to succeed, especially because he’s an Albion lad and a good character, but wishful thinking won’t make him a star for us.

At the very least he needs to go on loan if Bilic doesn’t plan to use him. He had about 9 hours of Championship game time last year - in other words he wasn’t involved for 87% of the season. That’s not much use for us or for him.

I think part of the problem with Field is no one knows what role he is meant to play in the middle. I.e. with Sawyers you get a very clear picture of his game, Barry was the same etc.
In my view, Field could be moulded into a defensive midfielder as I don't think he has enough to be attacking, pacy etc. but it seems our previous managers weren't sure what to do with him. It wouldn't surprise me at this point if he went on loan to someone like Wigan, eventually joining them permanently and then 2-3 seasons later turning into a solid Championship player when the right manager understands his strengths and weaknesses. Until then he is in an awkward position.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 09:42:39 PM by WBArgo »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #644 on: August 06, 2019, 09:43:15 PM »
Or do we just make excuses for him because he's 'one of our own'?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #645 on: August 06, 2019, 09:45:00 PM »

Off course that’s  not the kind of thing you’d indulge in now is it  ;)
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #646 on: August 06, 2019, 11:07:38 PM »

Well it’s all about opinions and I respect yours. I don’t agree at all though. Would love to think Field could play as well as Sawyers did on Saturday but have no confidence that he could. As stated elsewhere, let him out on loan until January at least. This will hopefully allow him the game time to finally prove whether he’s going to make the grade.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #647 on: August 06, 2019, 11:16:41 PM »
I still don't know where the evidence is for you clearly thinking he's just not up to it. People talk about managers not rating or trusting him but ....Pulis played him a reasonable amount considering his age at the time and the fact we were in the prem. Megson played him. Pardew, well what can we say.  Moore disappointingly didn't give him enough chances. Bilic, time will tell. There's just scant visual evidence from his appearances to suggest he's not up to it.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #648 on: August 06, 2019, 11:23:18 PM »

Sawyers is a much better player than Field at the moment, better on the ball and offers us way more on the pitch.

Granted Field hasn’t really done much wrong when chosen, but Pulis, Big Dave, Shan and now Bilic aren’t playing him. He’s not going to break his way into the first team at the moment so he needs to go out on loan. Sitting on our bench for the last 2 years has seriously halted his progression. Same as Leko.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #649 on: August 07, 2019, 03:52:10 PM »
If Field still isn't getting anywhere near the first team, I have doubts he ever will. Not sure we shouldn't sell him, as it may be the best option for both parties.