Author Topic: 10 Aug 2019 Albion 1 Millwall 1  (Read 45683 times)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #250 on: August 11, 2019, 09:50:11 PM »
Back 4 were brilliant, especially , Bartley.
Krovinovic and Sawyers sublime.
Edwards and Phillips explosive but lacked end product.
Livermore, better than usual but ball watching for goal.
Zohore not very good at all. Fails to chase down and looks a bit lazy, or scared.
Johnstone, distribution was better but looked like a Fifa goalkeeper on beginner level for the goal, wandering around with no clue.
Subs Burke offered nothing, Robson Kanu  please let this be the last time I have to watch him lumbering round in an Albion shirt.

All in all, a good performance which will only improve with the new signings. Still fancy top two.

We've conceded two goals this season so far and Bartley has been partly to blame for both of them. Nothing's changed he,s still a weak link.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #251 on: August 11, 2019, 10:28:34 PM »
Yesterday clearly demonstrated why Dwight Gayle commands the wage such that he does. As a reminder, as if anyone needed one, he scored 24 goals last season and has been replaced by a nonentity. Zohore will never score anything like 20+ goals in a season and he arguably cost us the victory; missing a sitter and causing what would have been a great goal to be disallowed by being far to slow, or not bothered, to keep himself onside. First impressions of strikers are usually quite accurate and Zohore has not impressed at all, in fact, Warnock’s description of him as ‘lazy’ looks to be accurate. I hope I’m wrong but I fear that Mr Zohore will prove to be a donkey. We’d be better off playing Chris Brunt as centre forward.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #252 on: August 11, 2019, 10:32:27 PM »

We've conceded two goals this season so far and Bartley has been partly to blame for both of them. Nothing's changed he,s still a weak link.
I actually think he's played well so far , better anyway.( Bartley ).
He possibly could have closed better at Forest but Johnstone shoudn't be letting that in .
Millwall's goal wasn't so much to do with Sam although I think he was a bit static on his line for the cross , I'd like to see him punch if need be .
So far this season if your going to blame one then you have to blame the other in my view.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #253 on: August 11, 2019, 11:12:36 PM »
I agree with that.  I've been critical of Bartley but he's not been awful so far, he's been better than expected.  I think he should have closed down sooner against forest but you've got to put that down as a keeper error.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #254 on: August 12, 2019, 08:46:29 AM »
At least this should pop that rather silly bubble that was building that we would walk the league, we've have had a reputation as having a "soft centre" for as long as I can remember, so teams will always fancy having a go at us.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #255 on: August 12, 2019, 01:26:42 PM »
There were positives and negatives, but overall I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

From the Brummie I thought Johnstone was at fault for the goal; having seen the replays I'm not so sure. What I do know is that we need somebody to take charge back there, which will hopefully be Hegazi when he's back.

We move the ball around nicely, and I like what we're trying to accomplish, but I'd up the tempo a little bit. It's OK having a patient approach, but when we have an opening we need to take it, not take 2-3 passes where 1 will do, and allow the opposition to get organised.

I think once the new players, Hegazi, and Barry get back we'll be fine. Can see us needing another striker in January though.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #256 on: August 12, 2019, 01:55:27 PM »
There were positives and negatives, but overall I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

From the Brummie I thought Johnstone was at fault for the goal; having seen the replays I'm not so sure. What I do know is that we need somebody to take charge back there, which will hopefully be Hegazi when he's back.

We move the ball around nicely, and I like what we're trying to accomplish, but I'd up the tempo a little bit. It's OK having a patient approach, but when we have an opening we need to take it, not take 2-3 passes where 1 will do, and allow the opposition to get organised.

I think once the new players, Hegazi, and Barry get back we'll be fine. Can see us needing another striker in January though.
Said in another thread, Sawyers was very vocal on more than one occasion and i think it was to do with players ahead of him not making runs. He looks like a different level to what we have had there, in terms of vision and passing ability, so, once they get on his wavelength, we have the potential to be unplayable.
Patience was always going to be key with such an overhaul. Provided we are in the mix after 10 games or so, we will go from strength to strength.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #257 on: August 12, 2019, 10:07:38 PM »
Yesterday clearly demonstrated why Dwight Gayle commands the wage such that he does. As a reminder, as if anyone needed one, he scored 24 goals last season and has been replaced by a nonentity. Zohore will never score anything like 20+ goals in a season and he arguably cost us the victory; missing a sitter and causing what would have been a great goal to be disallowed by being far to slow, or not bothered, to keep himself onside. First impressions of strikers are usually quite accurate and Zohore has not impressed at all, in fact, Warnock’s description of him as ‘lazy’ looks to be accurate. I hope I’m wrong but I fear that Mr Zohore will prove to be a donkey. We’d be better off playing Chris Brunt as centre forward.

Awful post, like most of your posts on here. He's played 60 minutes in 2 games and we've looked a better team with him on the pitch in both of them. Yet you've written him off already. He's probably going to be back up to Austin anyway so I don't get the over-reaction.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #258 on: August 12, 2019, 10:33:11 PM »
Johnstone- nothing to do but one thing he could have was come for cross and he didn’t

Bartley- is improving all the time

Semi - I like him but he’s not a centre half. Rotherham fans told us that. I hope he’s pushed into midfield when hegazi returns

Ferguson/Gibbs both very good

Sawyers/krovinovic lovely to see us control a game. Like these two in midfield

Phillips- has good game. One piece of control and pace from Bartley’s diagonal was exceptional

Edwards - excellent dribbles, just needs work on end product

Zohore - jury’s out

Livermore?

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #259 on: August 12, 2019, 11:19:26 PM »
Awful post, like most of your posts on here. He's played 60 minutes in 2 games and we've looked a better team with him on the pitch in both of them. Yet you've written him off already. He's probably going to be back up to Austin anyway so I don't get the over-reaction.

I watched game and I thought he looked abit isolated. Krovinovic and Sawyers, as good as they were played very deep at times and when you looked at Zohore he was often up front on his own surrounded. I thought first thing first he didn’t sky his shot, got it on target but was kept out. As you said early days but can’t remember the last debutant to get so much stick after so early into his career.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #260 on: August 13, 2019, 08:20:38 AM »
Johnstone- nothing to do but one thing he could have was come for cross and he didn’t

Bartley- is improving all the time

Semi - I like him but he’s not a centre half. Rotherham fans told us that. I hope he’s pushed into midfield when hegazi returns

Ferguson/Gibbs both very good

Sawyers/krovinovic lovely to see us control a game. Like these two in midfield

Phillips- has good game. One piece of control and pace from Bartley’s diagonal was exceptional

Edwards - excellent dribbles, just needs work on end product

Zohore - jury’s out
Regarding Semi and CB, here are some of his comments from this article

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/07/23/new-west-brom-signing-semi-ajayi-looking-forward-to-weird-rotherham-reunion/

"I've played centre-half the longest, so I'm most comfortable there, but I equally enjoy playing in midfield and I've played at right-back a bit,” he explained.
"I've put in good performances in those positions, but I see myself as a defender that can play in midfield.”

The former Arsenal academy player is looking forward to working under Bilic, a former centre-half himself.

And he admitted he was eager to come to The Hawthorns once he heard Albion were interested, picking them over Barnsley.

“It was a big draw because he's obviously had a great playing career and a great managerial career,” said Ajayi. "With him being a former centre-half, I feel like I can learn a lot from working under him.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill