Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD  (Read 1349833 times)

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD
« Reply #8975 on: April 13, 2024, 02:13:51 PM »
Leeds battered Blackburn all game. Blackburn have. Just gone and scored!

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8976 on: April 13, 2024, 02:33:53 PM »
Ipswich win today would be massive. Leicester or Leeds in the play offs would not be ideal

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8977 on: April 13, 2024, 03:12:36 PM »
Saints and Hull winning early doors

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8978 on: April 13, 2024, 03:15:31 PM »
Blues beating Coventry

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8979 on: April 13, 2024, 03:16:26 PM »
I do love the end of the season

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8980 on: April 13, 2024, 03:31:36 PM »
Boro beating Ipswich

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8981 on: April 13, 2024, 03:45:04 PM »
Blues now 2 nil up.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8982 on: April 13, 2024, 04:21:54 PM »
3 nil up

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8983 on: April 13, 2024, 04:54:19 PM »
Norwich take late lead against Preston

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8984 on: April 14, 2024, 11:50:40 AM »
Meanwhile in an interesting turn of events Swansea are set to launch legal proceedings against Russell Martin..........

'Swansea City are suing former boss Russell Martin for breach of contract following his move to Southampton in June 2023.

Martin, 38, left Swansea after two years in charge to take over at St Mary's.

Swansea have declined to comment but have confirmed the legal action against their ex-head coach.

Martin's move to Southampton was held up because of a dispute over compensation due to Swansea.

With that dispute still unresolved, Swansea have opted to sue - though they are not taking action against Southampton.

Martin, who left MK Dons to take charge at Swansea in 2021, signed a three-year deal when he arrived in Wales, but left after two seasons in charge.

• All the latest from Swansea City

He was understood to have agreed to take the Southampton job last May, but his move to Saints was not confirmed until 21 June because of the compensation issues.

At the centre of the disagreement was whether Southampton, who were relegated last season, were still a Premier League club when they came in for Martin.

That is key because Martin's Swansea contract featured differing compensation clauses depending on whether a club looking to appoint him were in the top flight or not.

The legal action is also related to some of the Swansea staff members who followed Martin to Southampton.

Martin and Southampton have been asked to comment.

Martin led Swansea to a 15th-place Championship finish in 2021-22, then 10th in what proved to be his final season in charge.

He had been making progress with the Welsh club and said on numerous occasions that he would be interested in extending his contract.

However, relations between Martin and Swansea's American owners soured after the January transfer window in 2023, when the club were in contention for the play-offs but failed to sign a player despite numerous deals being lined up.

Martin has made a positive impact at Southampton, with the club in contention for a return to the Premier League this spring following relegation last season.

Swansea sacked Martin's successor, Michael Duff, last December after struggling to readjust following his departure.

They then appointed Martin's former Swansea assistant, Luke Williams, as head coach in January.

Williams' side all but confirmed their second-tier status by beating Rotherham United 1-0 on Saturday'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68807285
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8985 on: April 15, 2024, 08:36:03 AM »
Sounds like it’s all ended rather sour for Martin and Swansea.

Talking of Martin, I’ve glanced over all the final fixtures for the top and play-offs and I can’t quite believe that Southampton are back in the autos race after looking cut off. Two crucial factors for them are that they have two games in hand and they still have to play two rivals in Leicester and Leeds so it is in their hands.

On the subject of Southampton; they play Preston tomorrow and I would say if Saints win that we are very very close to a play-off spot as it looks unlikely that both Hull and Coventry will leapfrog us as the game in hand they both have - is against each other.

So basically if Saints beat Preston and Hull beat Coventry then the maximum that both Cov and Preston could get would leave us needing just 1 more point to become unattainable.

Cue Preston and Coventry wins…
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

buzzingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8986 on: April 15, 2024, 10:33:25 AM »
Sounds like it’s all ended rather sour for Martin and Swansea.

Talking of Martin, I’ve glanced over all the final fixtures for the top and play-offs and I can’t quite believe that Southampton are back in the autos race after looking cut off. Two crucial factors for them are that they have two games in hand and they still have to play two rivals in Leicester and Leeds so it is in their hands.

On the subject of Southampton; they play Preston tomorrow and I would say if Saints win that we are very very close to a play-off spot as it looks unlikely that both Hull and Coventry will leapfrog us as the game in hand they both have - is against each other.

So basically if Saints beat Preston and Hull beat Coventry then the maximum that both Cov and Preston could get would leave us needing just 1 more point to become unattainable.

Cue Preston and Coventry wins…

I was think along these lines however, I expect norwich to finish 5th, so it's only Coventry or Hull (not both) that need to leap frog us. It's close.... hopefully a draw or Hull win in their game

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8987 on: April 15, 2024, 10:55:40 AM »
McKenna confirmed as Champo manager of the season. no surprise , 1 horse race really.

Their record isn't that great against the top 6 sides (10 pts from 30 available , 2w 4d and 4l) but when it comes to beating the fodder of the league they have been ruthless.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8988 on: April 15, 2024, 12:12:40 PM »
I was think along these lines however, I expect norwich to finish 5th, so it's only Coventry or Hull (not both) that need to leap frog us. It's close.... hopefully a draw or Hull win in their game

True and good point. Although I see us beating Sheff Weds and Preston so should be ok although if we lose to Leicester it could get squeaky before it gets ok again
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8989 on: April 15, 2024, 01:13:52 PM »
McKenna confirmed as Champo manager of the season. no surprise , 1 horse race really.

Their record isn't that great against the top 6 sides (10 pts from 30 available , 2w 4d and 4l) but when it comes to beating the fodder of the league they have been ruthless.

Whilst trying to avoid fate a Manager of the Year award and those numbers have all the hallmarks of heartache in the Playoffs if they don't make the autos.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8990 on: April 15, 2024, 01:24:01 PM »
Whilst trying to avoid fate a Manager of the Year award and those numbers have all the hallmarks of heartache in the Playoffs if they don't make the autos.

I've no issue with that, especially if it's against us

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8991 on: April 15, 2024, 04:29:59 PM »

If Hull win all their games they would end up with 77 points meaning we could need 6 points to be certain from last 3 games as Norwich have 3 potentially winnable games (Bristol city and Swansea both at home and Blues away)

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8992 on: April 15, 2024, 06:48:30 PM »
If Hull win all their games they would end up with 77 points meaning we could need 6 points to be certain from last 3 games as Norwich have 3 potentially winnable games (Bristol city and Swansea both at home and Blues away)

That's right, at the moment a point wouldn't secure anything, although it could before we play again. Norwich will get 6-9 points in my opinion, the only game they might drop points is Blues (depending if they face a save Blue team or not).  I don't see Hull taking 9 or more points from 12 given their matches, but it is not impossible either.

BagAlbion123

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #8993 on: April 16, 2024, 11:36:16 AM »
I think we need one more win should be enough, can't see next week and Sheff will be tough, Hull have some tough fixtures so hoping it doesn't go to the last day...

If we do get in then maybe finishing 6th maybe a blessing if Ipswich finish 3rd or ironically we could end up playing Soton anyway lol

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8994 on: April 16, 2024, 08:21:41 PM »
Saints take lead against Preston

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8995 on: April 16, 2024, 08:31:32 PM »
2-0 Saints now. Good stuff

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8996 on: April 16, 2024, 08:36:08 PM »
3-0.

Southampton are still the side I'd prefer to avoid for me

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8997 on: April 16, 2024, 08:36:31 PM »
3-0

So much for Preston.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8998 on: April 16, 2024, 09:44:53 PM »
3-0.

Southampton are still the side I'd prefer to avoid for me

Agreed. I’ve said it all along.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8999 on: April 16, 2024, 10:03:23 PM »
Agreed. I’ve said it all along.

Best team in the league for me from the games i've seen.