Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez Joins Burnley  (Read 363266 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #925 on: June 17, 2018, 08:47:10 PM »
The way I see it is: If my club signed Jay Rodriguez for £24 million I would be very very disappointed and extremely underwhelmed.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #926 on: June 17, 2018, 09:20:59 PM »
But we only paid £12 mil was it, so what's your point.
Good business for us eh?
Who cares in hypothesis?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #927 on: June 17, 2018, 09:24:12 PM »
But we only paid £12 mil was it, so what's your point.
Good business for us eh?
Who cares in hypothesis?

My point is he's not worth £24 million. I'd happily take £18 million. Which would be a decent profit.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #928 on: June 17, 2018, 09:44:02 PM »
And who could we replace him with?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #929 on: June 17, 2018, 09:45:08 PM »
And who could we replace him with?

Numerous other average strikers...

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #930 on: June 17, 2018, 11:13:22 PM »
I think once the asking price is north of £20m we are effectively pricing Rodriguez out of a move. He is 29 next month and last season really must be considered his last one at his peak. Trying to squeeze out another season from a 32 year old Rodriguez is where you end up if you give him a 3 year deal which is the minimum most mid level Premier League teams would need to offer to justify that sort of fee.

If we were in the Premier League I would sell him on in a heartbeat but it will be a real challenge to replace him in the Championship and with Rondon it would be better to retain him.  Yet if we were promoted he would need to be replaced if not from the squad then certainly in the starting XI
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #931 on: June 17, 2018, 11:27:34 PM »
I didn't realise that strikers are finished at 28,when did that happen?
His best season was last season?
So if he drops down a league,is he still over the hill or does he get one more season as his last?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 12:36:01 AM by OldburyWBA »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #932 on: June 18, 2018, 07:11:38 AM »
I didn't realise that strikers are finished at 28,when did that happen?
His best season was last season?
So if he drops down a league,is he still over the hill or does he get one more season as his last?

Did I say finished?

If you look at forwards they will have about 4 or 5 years at their peak and that is generally between the ages of 23/24 to 28/29. Some peak earlier and also decline earlier. What the post peak player looks like depends on a multiple factors and how much of a post peak career they have also varies. However at 28/29 he isn't going to improve and he will go into decline at some point during the next few seasons and that decline could be quite sharp.

Dropping down a level helps and that is one of the main arguments for keeping him but the following season if we are promoted we are one season further away from his peak years and we are asking him to step back up a level I suspect that won't go well. 

Best season? The one at Southampton before he picked up his knee ligament injury aged 24 but his best season after that last year.

We bought him for £14m with a question mark over his long term fitness last season at least put that to bed but regrettably he is running out of career and won't recapture the form of 4/5 seasons ago.

I agree with Jacko if we were a Premier League club and we spent £24m on him I wouldn't be happy. We spent £10m less a year ago but gave him a 4 year contract which was a little foolhardy but year one of that gamble worked out okay. Although how well the subsequent years work out remains to be seen.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #933 on: June 18, 2018, 07:52:03 AM »

My point is he's not worth £24 million. I'd happily take £18 million. Which would be a decent profit.
if you think Jay is only worth £18m why do you think Rondon is worth £30m? both 28 years of age both scored 7 goals from 37 matches last season. both bring different attributes to the team but primarily it's to score goa!s so very little to choose between them. personally I'd prefer to keep Rondon but I don't think there's a £12m difference in worth. I reckon both are worth around £20m each but as we know footballs gone daft where moneys concerned.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #934 on: June 18, 2018, 08:14:46 AM »

i'd prefer to take £24 million

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #935 on: June 18, 2018, 08:40:39 AM »
i'd prefer to take £24 million

Haha spoken like a true Jezza!  ;)
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #936 on: June 18, 2018, 11:16:10 AM »
I'd be snap accepting a £20 million bid if I was on the board.

Surely we have learnt our lessons of the past holding onto players for too long into their 30's and then losing any re-sale value?

Who cares that he has come out in the press and said he is 'committed to fight for promotion' or whatever.

Any new signing should be up for a fight too.

I think the club know that if jay does stay he’s arguably the best striker in the championship and should score 20+ for us and then we know he’s good enough for prem IF we get back up.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #937 on: June 18, 2018, 02:50:04 PM »
Just read we are interested in taking Nanki Wells from Burnley . Could this be part of the Dawson/ Jay Rod deal ?
I don't know alot about Nanki Wells, apart from the fact he failed to start once for Burnley last season, but if he's a makeweight for a Jay Rod transfer, you can be 100% certain  Burnley will be getting the better end of the deal.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #938 on: June 18, 2018, 02:53:58 PM »

Numerous other average strikers...

Really? Took us long enough to find Jay Rod. Not holding my breath about having an adequate goalscoring  striker in place before end of the transfer window. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #939 on: June 18, 2018, 04:05:09 PM »
The whole Rodriguez will score 20+ goals in The Championship is based on what? Don't remember too many people clamouring for him to play up front this season when he wasn't so don't understand why all of a sudden he is capable of doing what Kevin Phillips did for us?

Do people know the real reason why Burnley are willing to pay so much for Rodriguez? Because that has been overlooked by everyone.

They're willing to overpay for a reason that no other club will, so if they're willing to pay £24m I'd snap their hands off. No other club will be in a rush to pay over £15m in my opinion. I'd echo Jacko's sentiments, imagine if we were spending that amount on a Rodriguez, we'd be furious.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #940 on: June 18, 2018, 04:14:11 PM »
The whole Rodriguez will score 20+ goals in The Championship is based on what? Don't remember too many people clamouring for him to play up front this season when he wasn't so don't understand why all of a sudden he is capable of doing what Kevin Phillips did for us?

Do people know the real reason why Burnley are willing to pay so much for Rodriguez? Because that has been overlooked by everyone.

They're willing to overpay for a reason that no other club will, so if they're willing to pay £24m I'd snap their hands off. No other club will be in a rush to pay over £15m in my opinion. I'd echo Jacko's sentiments, imagine if we were spending that amount on a Rodriguez, we'd be furious.

Absolutely. I like Jay Rod, but the whole sorry saga of the last couple of seasons needs unravelling so that we can make a fresh start with some new blood.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #941 on: June 18, 2018, 04:23:53 PM »
Absolutely. I like Jay Rod, but the whole sorry saga of the last couple of seasons needs unravelling so that we can make a fresh start with some new blood.

It's not just that though. If he stays and scores 20+ goals then guess how much he's worth? Still £24m at best! None of the clubs of the top 4 scoring players in The Championship last season were promoted either, just throw that one in there.

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #942 on: June 18, 2018, 05:30:32 PM »
let JR go and bring in nakhi wells haha exactly why moore will lead us to a bottom half season

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #943 on: June 18, 2018, 06:34:22 PM »
let JR go and bring in nakhi wells haha exactly why moore will lead us to a bottom half season

Love these forums this time of year. Nothing but negativity and doom and gloom. The club will only sell JR if they get a offer to good to refuse and Nakhi Wells has got a decent goal scoring record at our level now so I really don't see a problem?

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #944 on: June 18, 2018, 07:53:42 PM »
Wells is like grabban, no where near good enough in the prem but scores goals in the championship

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #945 on: June 19, 2018, 07:43:46 PM »
a few reports saying we've turned down a £12m offer from Burnley.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #946 on: June 19, 2018, 07:59:43 PM »
I asked a question regarding his importance to Burnley and why his value increases in terms of selling to them. Next year they'll have to include X amount of Club trained players in their European squad. JRod is arguably one of the best players they could buy who fits that bill.

Would explain their willingness to pay over the odds, and if they're not well we should make them.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:03:49 PM by Scooby Doo »

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #947 on: June 19, 2018, 07:59:57 PM »
a few reports saying we've turned down a £12m offer from Burnley.
I should hope so.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #948 on: June 19, 2018, 08:10:00 PM »
I should hope so.
We are not registered as a charity! We may have been relegated but I hope our chairman only sells players for what we value them.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #949 on: June 19, 2018, 09:17:54 PM »
Report in the Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5862147/West-Bromwich-Albion-reject-Burnleys-opening-bid-12m-striker-Jay-Rodriguez.html

Suggests an offer in the region £12m. I can understand both clubs. There is no way Burnley should be looking to pay very much more than we paid 12 months ago nor should we be selling in our current position.