Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 446738 times)

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #1350 on: June 20, 2016, 10:24:54 PM »
All we need to improve on to garner another 8/10 points is Gardner and McClean on the flanks, you are underrating the rest of our players, in an ideal world we'd sign a more talented player than Fletcher but it isn't going to happen.

Jacko.

I think we should sign better than Jimmy not Dazza. IMO Dazza means more to the team than Jimmy.
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1351 on: June 20, 2016, 10:37:46 PM »
Jacko.

I think we should sign better than Jimmy not Dazza. IMO Dazza means more to the team than Jimmy.

But Morrison is a better footballer than Fletcher, and we are criminally short of footballers.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1352 on: June 20, 2016, 10:42:43 PM »
But Morrison is a better footballer than Fletcher, and we are criminally short of footballers.

Agree with you. But as a club/team Fletch is more important than Morrison. It hurts me to say that btw,

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:58:04 PM by Dexy »
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1353 on: June 20, 2016, 10:55:05 PM »
I think and hope that we will still be looking for a high class central midfielder,ideally someone who can play box to box CM or AM.
We had to sign Sandro and Pritchard for cover this year so we need someone ...and someone of quality to improve us.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1354 on: June 20, 2016, 11:10:07 PM »
I think and hope that we will still be looking for a high class central midfielder,ideally someone who can play box to box CM or AM.
We had to sign Sandro and Pritchard for cover this year so we need someone ...and someone of quality to improve us.

100% agree Adder. Hope we can find one. If not Jimmy will do.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1355 on: June 20, 2016, 11:16:17 PM »
We are desperate for a box to box central midfielder and Morrison is not that. If we go into the season with a Central Midfield two of Yacob and Fletcher then it doesn't matter who we sign to play ahead of them we will not improve even marginally.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1356 on: June 20, 2016, 11:18:09 PM »
We are desperate for a box to box central midfielder and Morrison is not that. If we go into the season with a Central Midfield two of Yacob and Fletcher then it doesn't matter who we sign to play ahead of them we will not improve even marginally.

Yeah but we will stay up Standaman... Bottom lines wins me think,

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1357 on: June 20, 2016, 11:36:08 PM »
Like I say in this case I really can't see the starting 11 improving too dramatically. I think we'll sign more squad players which will give us slightly better strength in depth. I see the regular starting 11 like this for next season.

Foster

Dawson  McAuley  Evans  Brunt

Fletcher  Yacob

Morrison

Phillips ?? / Leko     McLean / Robson Kanu??

Rondon

This side will see us struggle IMO especially as other teams will strengthen considerably. I really think we need at least 4/5 quality starters to move us forward.

I disagree that we will only sign fillers, Phillips would be signed as a starter. If we spent under £10 million I would be utterly dissapointed and cannot see it happening especially after letting go the likes of Sess.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1358 on: June 21, 2016, 05:42:48 PM »
It's interesting to see that, whereas whether or not Morrison's place in the side has been justified has been borderline during his time with us, mostly because of his inconsistency, his absence from the side because of injury has turned him into a midfield genius in some people's eyes. I suspect it says more about our other midfielders, and the approach we have to games, than it does about Morrison's own abilities.

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1359 on: June 21, 2016, 06:29:50 PM »
It's interesting to see that, whereas whether or not Morrison's place in the side has been justified has been borderline during his time with us, mostly because of his inconsistency, his absence from the side because of injury has turned him into a midfield genius in some people's eyes. I suspect it says more about our other midfielders, and the approach we have to games, than it does about Morrison's own abilities.

I think it is telling that in spite of missing half the season he still achieved the joint highest number of assists and fourth highest number of goals. 

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1360 on: June 21, 2016, 07:28:54 PM »

I agree. Morrison is an average player made to look good by the poor squad we have. If he was really that good he'd have been snapped up already.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1361 on: June 21, 2016, 09:54:17 PM »
Best of a bad bunch at the club.
Reason WBA have stagnated or of recent gone backwards is because we failed to upgrade on the likes of Olsson brunt and Morrison.

Unfortunately this year there are so many issues that need addressing we can't afford to not give him a new deal. Whole sale squad changes isn't good for a club. Were desperate for strikers wingers fullbacks that's 6 players before you even get to the centre midfield!

Morrison and brunt have been loyal servants and have been constantly our best players. He deserves his laste deal, testimonial and to get the chance to join the 300 club.

It would be daft to replace the better players. Replace the deadwood and evolve that way
O Albion we love you

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1362 on: June 21, 2016, 10:34:10 PM »
Morrison is quality when played in his preferred position consistently.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:16:52 AM by B_H_Baggie »

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1363 on: June 21, 2016, 10:43:22 PM »
Most of our players are.
IF played in their right position.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1364 on: June 21, 2016, 11:17:19 PM »
Yeah but we will stay up Standaman... Bottom lines wins me think,

I wouldn't count on it if our defence declines even slightly then without more goals there is a real possibility that we go down.

I can understand both sides of the Morrison argument. On the one hand we have nowhere enough creative attacking players in the squad and losing one of the few trusted by the manager obviously diminishes us. We plainly missed him when he was injured (although that was made worse by the Pulis not using or trusting the alternatives that were available) so if he signs it looks like we are at least no worse off.

However we have almost certainly seen peak Morrison he is now 30, the reported wages are  £50k a week and while not astronomical by premier league standards they would still make him one of our better paid players going into the twilight of is career. I think it is quite likely that in the short term means we are viewing him as a starter and we are unlikely to improve in this area much this summer.

I could of course be wrong. However if we either buy a first choice attacking midfielder e.g. Vazquez or go with a 4-4-2 with second striker then giving him a new contract at that level seems an odd decision. However only when we see the full picture can we form a judgement.

t76

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1365 on: June 22, 2016, 02:20:58 PM »
Should have kept Sandro.
Light travels faster than sound.That's why some people appear bright until they speak.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1366 on: June 22, 2016, 02:28:30 PM »
Should have kept Sandro.

At the £4 million he would have cost, no thanks.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1367 on: June 22, 2016, 02:29:58 PM »
Should have kept Sandro.

I'm sure I read somewhere the other day that he failed a medical at Sporting Lisbon. If it was ever a choice between him and Morrison I know exactly who I would give the £50k-a-week to and it isn't Sandro.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1368 on: June 22, 2016, 02:55:50 PM »
Should have kept Sandro.

Different kind of players. I'm happy for Mozza to stay but think we should be improving on him. I guess there is so much work to do in other areas so money saved here.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1369 on: June 22, 2016, 03:10:59 PM »
Far be it from me to state the obvious gents, but to my knowledge Morrison still hasn't put pen to paper.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1370 on: June 22, 2016, 06:03:05 PM »
I'm sure I read somewhere the other day that he failed a medical at Sporting Lisbon. If it was ever a choice between him and Morrison I know exactly who I would give the £50k-a-week to and it isn't Sandro.
I wouldn't pay either Sandro or Morrison £50k a week.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1371 on: June 22, 2016, 07:05:16 PM »
I wouldn't pay either Sandro or Morrison £50k a week.

I'm afraid that with the new tv deal in place £50k-a-week is the new £35k-a-week so to speak.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1372 on: June 23, 2016, 09:27:12 PM »
I don't honestly think that keeping Morrison rules out strengthening the  starting XI it probably shifts the emphasis. An additional winger, a striker, a centre back a left back and a central midfielder, it would look radically different.

Radically different? Tony Pulis - radically different?

Yeah  :-X

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1373 on: June 24, 2016, 08:40:54 AM »
Radically different? Tony Pulis - radically different?

Yeah  :-X

Yes I know the make up of squad would look different but I fear the outcome would look the same

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1374 on: June 30, 2016, 07:12:01 AM »
Official site now - signed new contract.