Author Topic: Promotion race 2018/2019  (Read 32915 times)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: Promotion race 2018/2019
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2019, 01:47:15 PM »
We were 11 points behind the unwashed in 2002 at this same stage of the season (Mid March).
We then won 8 of the last 10 games and drew 2.
A similar feet is required again to stand any chance of automatic, plus we could do with a few hic-cups from the teams above
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2019, 03:53:26 PM »
We were 11 points behind the unwashed in 2002 at this same stage of the season (Mid March).

I guess the difference is then, we were chasing one team, now we are chasing two. Unlikely for both to go off the boil so badly.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2019, 04:14:07 PM »
We do have the advantage that we are certain we will be in the playoffs, no other side can say that. Sheff Utd/Leeds are hoping for autos and the lower teams are scrapping for playoffs. Not sure how we can use that to our advantage, possibly by somehow getting in the right mindset for knockout football, practising penalties under pressure.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2019, 05:08:40 PM »
We do have the advantage that we are certain we will be in the playoffs, no other side can say that. Sheff Utd/Leeds are hoping for autos and the lower teams are scrapping for playoffs. Not sure how we can use that to our advantage, possibly by somehow getting in the right mindset for knockout football, practising penalties under pressure.
And just going for wins, Bristol won about 9 on the trot, Hull did about 7 at one point, I ain't giving up yet!

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2019, 06:57:01 PM »
The Championship could be set to take a farcical twist that could prove to be a massive boost to West Brom.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/03/blogs/baggies-could-get-massive-automatic-promotion-boost/

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2019, 07:08:11 PM »
Would this make the opening day defeat a masterstroke by Darren?  ;D ;)
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2019, 07:15:45 PM »
The Championship could be set to take a farcical twist that could prove to be a massive boost to West Brom.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/03/blogs/baggies-could-get-massive-automatic-promotion-boost/

Just seen this on Alan Nixon's twitter feed. Won't be holding my breath though.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2019, 07:24:26 PM »
Table adjusted without points for playing against Bolton...

https://twitter.com/FootyAccums/status/1108032494316724229

The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2019, 07:48:42 PM »
Will be a points deduction if anything just like others have received
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2019, 08:02:48 PM »
Will be a points deduction if anything just like others have received

If they were going into administration then it would indeed be a points deduction. But liquidation as a result of a winding up order is completely different and will result in the club folding completely. (probably reborn i'm sure but in the lower leagues)

Think Rangers

The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2019, 08:06:34 PM »
If they were going into administration then it would indeed be a points deduction. But liquidation as a result of a winding up order is completely different and will result in the club folding completely. (probably reborn i'm sure but in the lower leagues)

Think Rangers

Any lidquidation will happen in the close season - following administration

The football league will not risk its integrity being torn to shreds

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2019, 08:19:16 PM »

You’re wrong, the EFl have no part to play in a winding up order.
Bolton have a huge tax bill to pay, they either pay it tomorrow or get wound up as business which means they cease to exist.
There is a 3rd option that their owner proves he’s close to finding a buyer and it these circumstances business may be given a week to conclude a deal by the court.

The EFL are their usual useless self and are just sitting and hoping they find a buyer.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2019, 08:23:15 PM »
Bolton being lidquidated during the middle of a season will not happen - they will not be able to cope with the backlash

It would not surprise me to see the football league loaning Bolton the money to pay the bill to ensure they are able to complete their fixture lists, and that the three clubs who get promoted do so on merit and not with the aid of results being scrapped from the records

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2019, 06:54:16 AM »
There is zero chance of Bolton paying the Revenue nor putting a plan in place that would satisfy them. So either they are liquidated or put into administration. For administration to work there has to be some prospect of the club coming to some sort of arrangement with it's creditors and being run as a going concern.

If this was anything other than a football club it would almost certainly be liquidated. It seems to have no cash cannot pay it's staff and it cannot be sold as a going concern what is an administrator supposed to do with that? Football clubs never seem to die maybe this will be the exception. For the rest of football to come to it's collective senses maybe one needs to die feel sorry that it's Bolton Wanderers but this sad day has been coming for a long while. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2019, 08:49:52 AM »
Bolton being lidquidated during the middle of a season will not happen - they will not be able to cope with the backlash

It would not surprise me to see the football league loaning Bolton the money to pay the bill to ensure they are able to complete their fixture lists, and that the three clubs who get promoted do so on merit and not with the aid of results being scrapped from the records
They'll cobble something together, and I wouldn't want to go up that anyway

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2019, 12:38:31 PM »
They'll cobble something together, and I wouldn't want to go up that anyway

Me neither.

Imagine if your club ended up being relegated because a team was wiped out the division...

The holding company being liquidated throughout the middle of the season cannot happen.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2019, 01:53:16 PM »

Oh Liam, Oh Liam, since when has the concept of integrity ever been anywhere near those running professional football? I truly wish my own levels of cynicism were on a par with theirs and then I might be able to watch the goings on in the prem, in the efl and at WBA with a little less pain and a bit more amusement.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2019, 02:18:06 PM »
Oh Liam, Oh Liam, since when has the concept of integrity ever been anywhere near those running professional football? I truly wish my own levels of cynicism were on a par with theirs and then I might be able to watch the goings on in the prem, in the efl and at WBA with a little less pain and a bit more amusement.

I think when Liam says "integrity" he is referring to the "false veneer of integrity", No-one (repeat no-one) can believe the football authorities act out of integrity.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Baggie-Dave

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2019, 03:00:22 PM »
Bolton Wanderers hearing postponed for two weeks:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/47641126

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2019, 08:10:54 AM »
Race for second - Looking at the fixtures I think we have a small chance of second if we win all our games which puts us on 91 points. Here are sheff u and Leeds fixtures for the rest of the season:

Sheff U - 74
Bristol City (H) - 3
Preston (A) - 1
Blues (A) - 3
Millwall (H) - 3
Forest (H) -  1
Hull (A) - 1
Ipswich (H) - 3
Stoke (A) - 1

Total - 90 points

Leeds - 73
Millwall (H) - 3
Birmingham (A) - 1
Preston (A) - 1
Sheff Wednesday (H) - 3
Wigan (H) - 3
Brentford (A) - 1
Villa (H) - 1
Ipswich (A) - 3

Total - 89 points

Anyone else optimistic? ;D

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2019, 08:21:36 AM »
It's likely that one of Sheff Utd or Leeds will have a wobble before the end of the season and perhaps lose two or three on the bounce, but pretty unlikely it will happen to both.
All we can do is keep winning and put the pressure on - and at least then we will go into the play-offs in a positive frame of mind.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2019, 08:48:58 AM »
We might be able to afford to lose 1 or draw 2, but I can't see both of them above us losing it.  Leeds are more likely to get the yips, I'd say, apart from against us they've looked very nervy

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2019, 10:10:30 AM »
I'm not even going to think about the automatics. There is no way TWO sides, whi have been brilliant all season will stutter at the end of the season, and even if they did, I don't think we would have enough about us to take advantage of the slip up.

We are safe in the playoffs - nobody is going to catch us now. We need to spend the final games of the season working out our best side and system - something we have failed to do so far.
Boing Boing

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2019, 07:30:31 AM »
I'm not even going to think about the automatics. There is no way TWO sides, whi have been brilliant all season will stutter at the end of the season, and even if they did, I don't think we would have enough about us to take advantage of the slip up.

We are safe in the playoffs - nobody is going to catch us now. We need to spend the final games of the season working out our best side and system - something we have failed to do so far.

Bang on need to fathom out best system and team. However if we took max points to the end of the season we might steal the last automatic spot.

Norwich are up
O Albion we love you

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2019, 08:35:27 AM »

With all due respect I disagree, I'd rather we just went for it, Sheff U have slipped up now, so lets just treat every game as a cup final.