Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 662367 times)

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #2375 on: January 17, 2021, 10:30:50 PM »
You have your view and I have mine. In an awful season to date I feel he is our most improved player. No need to be so condescending thanks.

Just re -read my post mate. was not meant to be so personal or sound condescending, so apologies for that. :-[

Agree Sam has looked improved in a couple of games but he has really been awful for such a long time so any improvement was going to show up like a beacon. Hope over experience, bit like a third marriage for me. We have tried and found wanting ,different defenders and different defensive formats but all proved frail and easily breached. The only thing not changed has been the keeper, yet it is the keeper who has been in the final analysis the most often culpable factor. Granted this season he has saved us a point in a couple of games with an excellent save or two, but has also still caused as many problems with his failure to communicate effectively, command his area and generally flap the ball back into dangerous areas.

Button is no more than a journeyman keeper, but at least he does the basics more consistently and the same defenders deemed complete failures previously looked as if they could actually defend. Maybe it will be short term but until it changes for the worse, and I mean worse than with SJ then Button should be given an extended run, not just bring Sam back per se.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2376 on: January 17, 2021, 11:34:24 PM »
Not a lot to argue with there, I don’t believe in the Number 1 goalie thinking, if another keeper comes in and does well judge on merit !

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2377 on: January 18, 2021, 12:28:03 AM »
In fairness we have conceded two goals against each of Wolves, Blackpool and Brentford with Button in goal this season. Consistent but not stellar.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2378 on: January 18, 2021, 09:19:47 AM »
Button didn’t particularly fill be with confidence.

The way he allowed Silva to bump him from the ball on his goal line was very weak. I didn’t see the Blackpool game so I don’t know how Button did in that match but my gut says put Sam back in.

Thin line, if he bumps the attacker it's a penalty
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2379 on: January 18, 2021, 11:05:32 AM »
In fairness we have conceded two goals against each of Wolves, Blackpool and Brentford with Button in goal this season. Consistent but not stellar.

In fairness one of the goals against Brentford was from a penalty which should never been awarded.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2380 on: January 18, 2021, 11:19:02 AM »
Oh my word.  Is this a wind-up?

Yep!
At least meant to be, but not meant to be offensive so sincere apologies to anybody who was offended by it

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2381 on: January 18, 2021, 11:28:37 AM »
In fairness one of the goals against Brentford was from a penalty which should never been awarded.

Indeed, while cowardly Connor ducked out of a header allowing the overhead kick for the other goal.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2382 on: January 18, 2021, 12:38:09 PM »
Just re -read my post mate. was not meant to be so personal or sound condescending, so apologies for that. :-[

Agree Sam has looked improved in a couple of games but he has really been awful for such a long time so any improvement was going to show up like a beacon. Hope over experience, bit like a third marriage for me. We have tried and found wanting ,different defenders and different defensive formats but all proved frail and easily breached. The only thing not changed has been the keeper, yet it is the keeper who has been in the final analysis the most often culpable factor. Granted this season he has saved us a point in a couple of games with an excellent save or two, but has also still caused as many problems with his failure to communicate effectively, command his area and generally flap the ball back into dangerous areas.

Button is no more than a journeyman keeper, but at least he does the basics more consistently and the same defenders deemed complete failures previously looked as if they could actually defend. Maybe it will be short term but until it changes for the worse, and I mean worse than with SJ then Button should be given an extended run, not just bring Sam back per se.

No problem pal. I appreciate it is all about opinions. SJ was very poor for a long time. There is zero debate about that from me. I do however feel he has improved recently. It will be interesting to see how the keeper situation unfolds.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2383 on: January 18, 2021, 01:07:54 PM »
Whatever our thoughts of his attributes he certainly has a sense of humour  ;D .......

https://mobile.twitter.com/samjohnstone50/status/1350537039888986114
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2384 on: January 18, 2021, 10:59:46 PM »
 ;D Thought Button did the basics right and got well behind the ball for a few shots. A fairly solid backup for SJ I believe ;D ;D ;D

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2385 on: January 19, 2021, 10:55:47 PM »
Can’t really blame him for the result tonight, but his distribution is absolutely horrendous.

Maybe someone should tell him he can pass to the centre back and not resort to smashing it out of play every time it comes back to him?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2386 on: January 19, 2021, 10:57:41 PM »
Can’t really blame him for the result tonight, but his distribution is absolutely horrendous. Maybe someone should tell him he can pass to the centre back and not resort to smashing it out of play every time it comes back to him?

Ironically, I rate his distribution. He is now under instructions to go long and not to play it out from the back. So can't blame him for kicking it long, Allardyce had told him to do it. Very noticeable that we have stopped playing out to the defenders.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2387 on: January 20, 2021, 01:35:06 PM »
Ironically, I rate his distribution. He is now under instructions to go long and not to play it out from the back. So can't blame him for kicking it long, Allardyce had told him to do it. Very noticeable that we have stopped playing out to the defenders.

Good.

Never understood playing from the back with defenders who are not good enough.

Watching our centre halves trudge forward with the ball is enough to give anyone nightmares.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2388 on: January 20, 2021, 01:42:45 PM »
I always think that this current trend of defenders playing the ball out from the back is a choreograph that Rudolf Nureyev would have been proud of  ;)
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2389 on: January 20, 2021, 01:51:54 PM »

You rate kicking it straight out of play? He did this at least five times last night, notably when we were 1-1 and he held on to it for a minute or so then booted it straight out, West Ham scored not long after. He has not improved at all in this area, and it simply isn’t good enough for a premier league goalkeeper.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2390 on: January 20, 2021, 01:54:53 PM »
You rate kicking it straight out of play? He did this at least five times last night, notably when we were 1-1 and he held on to it for a minute or so then booted it straight out, West Ham scored not long after. He has not improved at all in this area, and it simply isn’t good enough for a premier league goalkeeper.

he seems to have taken over this trait from Foster, very infuriating!!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2391 on: January 20, 2021, 01:57:29 PM »

And too many have the player receiving it under pressure, and having to jump and head it back into play.  For the love of god Sam, practice it.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2392 on: January 20, 2021, 03:12:19 PM »
He's had a decent season by his standards but I was disappointed to see him come straight back in yesterday. What message does that send to Button who I thought looked commanding v Wolves. I'd like to see their second goal again from yesterday but at the time I thought that Johnstone could have come out for the cross. Agree with his kicking too. Wasted possession time after time.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2393 on: January 20, 2021, 03:15:46 PM »
Either of the CH's should have dealt with the second goal. They were both ball watching even though there was literally one man in the danger area to watch out for.

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2394 on: January 20, 2021, 06:54:39 PM »
He's had a decent season by his standards but I was disappointed to see him come straight back in yesterday. What message does that send to Button who I thought looked commanding v Wolves. I'd like to see their second goal again from yesterday but at the time I thought that Johnstone could have come out for the cross. Agree with his kicking too. Wasted possession time after time.

I think decent season is a bit harsh, hes been our stand out player by a mile.

He was always going to come back in when fit. I've re watched the second goal and can't blame him for that really.

Regarding his kicking it needs improving, he's probably not used to kicking that many long balls but he was very wasteful.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2395 on: January 20, 2021, 07:18:10 PM »
In all honesty I don't rate either keeper that highly, but if I was pushed id have kept Button in Goal but its a heads or Tails.
A goalkeeper that commands his area is a godsend to defenders, half the job for me.
And I do love to play out from the back but we've seen some right comical attempt by these players.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2396 on: February 04, 2021, 08:54:09 AM »
Quote from: California Dreaming on Today at 05:03:02 AM
Johnstone has been our player of the season so far (largely due to the practice he's had behind our dreadful defence), but according to some people he's been responsible (or could have done better) for every goal we've conceded.

Sam Johnstone turned a corner since the frailty of early season and has put in some superb performances causing the media and pundits to suggest Sam should be considered for inclusion in the England squad,

« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 08:24:33 AM by Hull Baggie »
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2397 on: February 04, 2021, 08:58:25 AM »
I think decent season is a bit harsh, hes been our stand out player by a mile.

He was always going to come back in when fit. I've re watched the second goal and can't blame him for that really.

Regarding his kicking it needs improving, he's probably not used to kicking that many long balls but he was very wasteful.

That doesnt make sense.

Every keeper kicks a lot of long balls out, its not exclusive to Johnstone. Kicking long and on target is a very important aspect of any keepers repertoire
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2398 on: February 04, 2021, 09:05:09 AM »
Quote from: California Dreaming on Today at 05:03:02 AM
Johnstone has been our player of the season so far (largely due to the practice he's had behind our dreadful defence), but according to some people he's been responsible (or could have done better) for every goal we've conceded.

Sam Johnstone turned a corner since the frailty of early season and has put in some superb performances causing the media and pundits to suggest Sam should be considered for inclusion in the England squad,

Me!! I'm one i saw Johnstone on his debut in a friendly said then he's not good enough and still say he's not good enough! As for playing for England nar. But hang on Livermoore played for England!  And player of the season? My vote would go to none of them none of them deserve it >:( 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 08:25:39 AM by Hull Baggie »

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2399 on: February 04, 2021, 12:55:05 PM »
Are we really saying that he should be Player of the season ? Far too many goals conceded for him not to take his share of the blame . Ironic that one of our 2 victories came when Button was in goal .
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 04:10:02 PM by DevonInStripes »