Author Topic: Conor Townsend  (Read 93039 times)

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

Re: Conor Townsend Joins Albion
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2020, 08:51:05 AM »
For me last night shows how, if we haven't got Gibbs, Brunt needs to play there. We looked much better when he came on.

At home you certainly need a full back who can get forward and provide something.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2020, 08:55:16 AM »
I I thought he just looked horribly exposed on the left, not sure who was supposed to be playing in front of him, but often he was left in his own with no support going forwards or back, and Stoke could double up on him

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2020, 08:56:25 AM »
For me last night shows how, if we haven't got Gibbs, Brunt needs to play theere. We looked much better when he came on.
Again how Bilic has had his fullbacks playing so far theres no way Brunt could do 90 mins of that , anybody with pace would be moved in his space . Too easy.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2020, 09:50:33 AM »
He's just not up to Champ standard playing every week. Forget Olsson, we need a fit and ready left back to slot in and to cover the inevitable Gibbs long term injuries every season .........

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2020, 09:26:59 PM »
Might not be the best player on the pitch but he’s just donated £250 to the fundraiser to get the homeless man from yesterday a season ticket.

Top gesture.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2020, 10:04:49 PM »
Might not be the best player on the pitch but he’s just donated £250 to the fundraiser to get the homeless man from yesterday a season ticket.

Top gesture.

That shows a great attitude to be fair to him

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2020, 10:26:27 PM »
Townsend the least of our worries at the moment. He ain't good enough for prem he's fine as an understudy.

Last night there was no movement or width so as soon as it went wide there was no options or movements so he either slung it in the middle or it went back to the CBS to hoof
O Albion we love you

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2020, 11:23:54 PM »
Townsend the least of our worries at the moment. He ain't good enough for prem he's fine as an understudy.

Last night there was no movement or width so as soon as it went wide there was no options or movements so he either slung it in the middle or it went back to the CBS to hoof

That comes from not playing with an attacking wideman in front of him. Pereira not suited to role, which is why he kept coming inside. Townsend is decent enough cover for left back but he doesn't seem to get past the last defender to deliver crosses.
BTW.. great gesture in forking out for homeless man's season ticket.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2020, 08:49:34 AM »
Does anyone else notice his habit of shaping like he's right footed?  Numerous times on Monday he turned to receive the ball and his body shape was all wrong, so, instead of positioning himself to move forward on his left side he sort of turned sidewards as if he would come inside on his right foot. By the time he re-adjusts his position any space is closed down and he's under pressure.
Might be just me but I found it bizarre.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2020, 01:59:30 PM »
Slagged the lad of in last few games but fair play to bloke for getting involved in Sean's season ticket go fund me page. Tip my hat off to You son.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2020, 05:48:09 PM »
A word for Conor. Gets alot of stick, some of it unjustified and some of it plain ridiculous. Got his goal today, pleased for the lad, nowhere near as bad as some people say he is.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2020, 05:51:00 PM »
A word for Conor. Gets alot of stick, some of it unjustified and some of it plain ridiculous. Got his goal today, pleased for the lad, nowhere near as bad as some people say he is.

He did well today Atomic, not just the goal but he looked comfortable on the ball and seemed as though he was thoroughly enjoying himself. Fair play to him.
MAGA!

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2020, 06:15:51 PM »
Depends on what level you are talking about.
He is what he is. Does his best and seems a nice lad but not good enough for a team with ambitions of the Premier.
Fair play to him today though, pleased for him.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2020, 06:15:57 PM »
Arguably close to MOTM, together with O'Shea and Krov. He must be the best 3rd choice in his position in the league.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:18:59 PM by timdon »

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2020, 06:42:49 PM »
Notice a much better performance when we play a bit tighter , he's a much better player than he gets credit for .
As i posted Monday night the issue is how Bilic sets us up at times regarding full backs especially at home .

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2020, 06:57:52 PM »
Played extremely well today

Took his goal a treat, if he can play like that most weeks he could become some player

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2020, 07:06:09 PM »
Notice a much better performance when we play a bit tighter , he's a much better player than he gets credit for .
As i posted Monday night the issue is how Bilic sets us up at times regarding full backs especially at home .
I think you are spot on. Often left very exposed and therefore gets criticised a bit unfairly at times. I'm happier with him than I am with quite a few others.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2020, 07:10:27 PM »
Everytime a player of ours scores, you can guarantee afterwards it’s claimed they had a good game. He took his goal well today, but I don’t think I’m his overall performance was vastly different to normal.

He does get some unserved stick though, he’s not as bad is as made out at times.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2020, 07:29:19 PM »
Don't give much away mate do you. I thought he had a very good game today and scored an excellent goal.Whats not to like?
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2020, 07:30:42 PM »
Everytime a player of ours scores, you can guarantee afterwards it’s claimed they had a good game. He took his goal well today, but I don’t think I’m his overall performance was vastly different to normal.

He does get some unserved stick though, he’s not as bad is as made out at times.
Nothing to do with scoring Today from my point of view , as posted I think he and the team get exposed too much with how Slav has both full backs joining the attack . Gibbs is much better going forward but for me his defending isn't great .
The only one to really fit this style is Furlong.
Townsend's alright in the right system / tactics.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2020, 07:31:35 PM »
Also don't think he's as bad as is made out.

Certainly puts some decent balls into the box. Looked tidy on the ball today and more confident than usual.

Great finish too.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2020, 08:34:21 PM »
Also don't think he's as bad as is made out.

Certainly puts some decent balls into the box. Looked tidy on the ball today and more confident than usual.

Great finish too.
Confidence is the big thing I think - he mentioned it himself in an interview I read. In the Stoke game he didn't really look confident or positive enough. As you say, he can put some high quality balls into the box.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2020, 10:16:00 PM »
He had a good game today. The lad gets a lot of stick on the basis he isn't as good as gibbs. He needs to shoot more...

Better attitude and more bottle than gibbs hopefully the goal and performance has done him the world of good
O Albion we love you

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2020, 10:51:39 PM »
He seems on honest player and a decent human being - maybe this'll be the highlight of his career, scoring the winning goal at the London Stadium, if so, fair enough.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2020, 08:42:35 AM »
For those that say he be no good in the Prem.....where do West Ham play at the mo?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP