Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2534384 times)

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #10775 on: January 20, 2020, 06:47:01 PM »
Until he gets rid of his super sized ego he will never get anywhere.

Seagy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10776 on: January 20, 2020, 06:48:06 PM »
At Stoke, however, new team-mates got a brief sighting of the charming side of Berahino that had engendered ongoing loyalty at Albion. He was polite, charming and hard-working. Once again, though, the other side of Saido did not take long to make an appearance.

As Stoke hurtled towards relegation under Mark Hughes, Berahino was among a group of training-ground mavericks who angered team-mates with their antics.

In the aftermath, former England defender Glen Johnson used an appearance on Talksport to let rip.

“He had the wrong mentality and attitude from day one and for whatever reason, when he was at Stoke, he was going against the grain,” Johnson told the station.

“If we were told to be somewhere at 10, he would turn up at ten-past — it was like he had a vendetta from the start. It was strange to watch because every now and then, you’d see glimpses of his talent in training and think, ‘Yeah, you can play’ but he didn’t ever seem to want to push himself.

“If you were on the bench or not in the match-day squad, you’d have to run after the game. Of course, no players liked doing it because they’re angry at not playing in the first place and you may be running at 10.30pm but they were the rules and everyone did it. But Saido would jog.

“Say we had a day off the following Sunday. Because Saido didn’t run, everybody had to come in on that day — even those who played.

“So what happens on Sunday is we turn up for training, Saido phones in sick and there was uproar. Where do you go from that? There was total disrespect and that’s what he was like on a daily basis.”

Berahino responded to Johnson’s comments in an interview with The Times.

He said: “I respect Glen Johnson’s career that he’s already produced. That’s his opinion. If that’s how he felt, it’s funny that he’s coming out now on radio when the disappointing thing for me is I had so much respect for him.

“I sat next to him in the changing room. There was never one time he called me aside and said about my behaviour or anything.

“He’s a well-respected player, he’s a senior player. He’s got so many accolades, so I was a bit disappointed that he had to go to the radio to say that.

“He could have said something when I was going through a tough period at Stoke but if that’s how he feels, then I can only respect his opinion and I wish him all the best for what he is doing in his career now.”
When Hughes was sacked and replaced by Paul Lambert, Berahino found himself frozen out of the first-team picture as the Scot attempted a crackdown on discipline.

In the wake of relegation, sources report he responded well to a fresh chance afforded to him by new manager Gary Rowett.

Rowett adopted a fatherly managerial approach which coaxed ‘good Saido’ back from the sidelines and, briefly, raised hopes that his Potteries career could be revived.

But top form never returned and last August Stoke reached a settlement with Berahino to cancel the final three years of his contract. He left having scored just three league goals in 51 appearances.

Perhaps only those who saw a young Berahino making his way through the ranks at Albion and with England can appreciate the scale of the talent that went unfulfilled.

England manager Southgate recognised it. He often asked Kane, the current England captain, to complete an unfashionable shift out wide so Berahino could take the centre-forward’s role for the under-21s.

Manchester United recognised it. Even after the risks became clear, the Old Trafford club still checked in with Fletcher about the merits of a possible bid.

And team-mates recognised it more than anyone. One experienced international confided to colleagues that he expected one day to be boasting to his children, “I played with him” while watching Berahino get the better of the world’s best defenders in the Champions League.

Now, as Berahino attempts to resurrect his career in Belgium with Zulte Waregem, there is scepticism about whether he can ever again scale the heights he reached briefly under Clarke and Irvine. He has five goals in 13 league appearances for his Belgian club at a rate of one every 212 minutes but, at the age of 26, time is no longer on his side and many former colleagues fear that not only is he seen as damaged goods by English clubs but that years of fluctuating weight must have taken its toll.

His best friend, though, is keeping faith. Berahino met Romaine Sawyers at the age of 12 and the midfielder, who returned to Albion as a first-team player this season after six years away, has a unique insight on his pal.

After so many false dawns and let-downs, Sawyers believes the charming Berahino is finally ready to own the mistakes of his trouble alter ego.

“Growing up in the academy together, we became best friends and we always have been,” says Sawyers. “He’s like a little brother to me although we’re a similar age.

“He’s scoring goals now and if you know Saido, you’ll know that’s his forte and that’s what makes him happy. As long as he’s scoring, he’ll always be happy.

“He’s a Premier League player in my opinion — I have never seen a natural finisher like him.

“If you go and speak to him and ask him who his hero is, he would say Jermain Defoe. The way that he finishes is Jermaine Defoe. His movement is Jermain Defoe. He’s just a lover of football. Whenever there is a football around, Saido will be close to it or he will be at home watching videos of Defoe, Karim Benzema, Zinedine Zidane, Thierry Henry… but for whatever reason, there was a mental blockage when things went left with the whole Tottenham thing.”

Sawyers felt the pain of his friend’s self-inflicted wounds and shed collective tears but, like so many who have witnessed the demon on Berahino’s shoulder winning too many battles with the angel on the other, Sawyers has never given up on the smiling young boy he first met on a training field a decade and a half ago.

“It was hard,” he says. “It hurts to see somebody you care about going through stuff like that. A lot of it was internal. He’s such an introverted character.

“Anybody that truly knows him knows he’s not a bad person. Because he’s such an introverted person, it’s hard to get into him. We’ve had heart-to-hearts and we’ve had them in groups where there have been tears because the people around him care so much. But you can’t always understand what somebody is going through and people can’t always explain what they’re going through.

“It’s quite hard for him. He’s a young boy who came from Burundi early and everything is a bonus to him, almost. But that doesn’t mean he’s not a normal human being with real emotions.

“He’s not the first case of somebody who has spiralled and had bad times in their career and he won’t be the last.

“He’s definitely got remorse in his heart. He’s not a stupid kid. He makes silly mistakes but he’s not stupid.

“He’s had a lot of time now to self-evaluate and he must mentally be in a great place because some of the goals he’s scoring out there are great.

“Some of the mistakes he makes are stupid — he knows that within himself, I know that and everybody around him knows that.

“But the core of him is good.”

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10777 on: January 20, 2020, 07:00:43 PM »
Hi seagy, thank you for posting the article. I’ll enjoy reading that
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10778 on: January 24, 2020, 05:39:30 PM »
Saido Berahino 'regrets every moment' of reaction to rejected Tottenham bids

Not half as much as Albion Fans!

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51198201
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10779 on: January 24, 2020, 06:53:15 PM »
This is where we find out he’s the second attacking option Bilic is looking for.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10780 on: January 25, 2020, 08:11:34 PM »
This is where we find out he’s the second attacking option Bilic is looking for.

You know what? Despite everything that has happened, if the 'Good Saido' turned up, was serious about (and fit enough to be) playing for us, then I might just forgive him. But as the article says, at 26, time isn't on his side, and it will probably be talent unfulfilled.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10781 on: March 20, 2020, 10:29:00 PM »
Berahino angling for a comeback?

Just posted 2 short video clips on his Instagram in Albion tracksuit bottoms and top doing a kickup challenge with a loo roll with the liquidator playing in the background. Also in one of his other photos somone said to him that he should never have left WBA and he replied "I agree."

Lean times for any real news so forgive me.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:31:06 PM by gazberg »

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #10782 on: March 21, 2020, 12:48:20 AM »
Berahino angling for a comeback?

Just posted 2 short video clips on his Instagram in Albion tracksuit bottoms and top doing a kickup challenge with a loo roll with the liquidator playing in the background. Also in one of his other photos somone said to him that he should never have left WBA and he replied "I agree."

Lean times for any real news so forgive me.
I'll take the loo roll but he can sod off.😃

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10783 on: March 21, 2020, 01:17:27 AM »
I'll take the loo roll but he can sod off.😃

I think most would agree you with you. A real shame and waste of a career to boot.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10784 on: March 22, 2020, 02:09:04 PM »
Well if bully came out of retirement and got us 25 goals some would sing his name

Never say never....he’d be an employee of a football club, he wouldn’t be moving in to your spare room.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10785 on: March 22, 2020, 02:42:04 PM »
Well,well,well unforgivable the way he treated us.
That was then.
Forgivable? Perhaps he has actually grown up into a decent person?
With family/ children responsibilities they do ground you.
I havnt followed his career since he left us,but at 26 with Sawyer's as a grounding person,not many players in our squad know him or would put up with his antics.
He knows our club but not the brilliance of our manager,could bring the best out of him.
If slaven sanctioned a move structured in our benefit I'd give him a trial .

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10786 on: March 22, 2020, 02:44:03 PM »
He was only a kid in fairness, I just hope for his sake he can find happiness.
I doubt he's angling for a move back but fair play to him, seems to have matured. Apparently the manager he's under is good at that sort of stuff so it looks to have worked.

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10787 on: March 22, 2020, 04:20:49 PM »
No thanks

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10788 on: March 22, 2020, 05:32:47 PM »
Since season 2014/15 (14 League goals), nearly 6 years ago, what has he done that anyone would think that, taking him back, would improve us?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10789 on: March 22, 2020, 06:45:17 PM »
Since season 2014/15 (14 League goals), nearly 6 years ago, what has he done that anyone would think that, taking him back, would improve us?
He can run faster than Austin
He can finish better than Zohore
He’s got more career left than Kanu
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10790 on: March 22, 2020, 06:56:02 PM »
If he genuinely has improved his attitude, I would take him back, remember, he was neck and neck with Harry Kane as an England Under 21, he would have to return on a cheap contract with a real desire to rebuild his career with us.
Baggie in Southampton

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10791 on: March 22, 2020, 06:57:13 PM »
Looks like the lad is testing the water some fans are saying give him another chance, would you i wouldnt.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/definitely-regrets-west-brom-fans-17961401
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 07:02:26 PM by geoff »

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10792 on: March 22, 2020, 07:00:58 PM »

He can run faster than Austin..........  Thats not hard
He can finish better than Zohore......  Thats not hard
He’s got more career left than Kanu...  Kanu playing at a higher leval for longer.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10793 on: March 22, 2020, 07:29:31 PM »
He can run faster than Austin..........  Thats not hard
He can finish better than Zohore......  Thats not hard
He’s got more career left than Kanu...  Kanu playing at a higher leval for longer.
I’m trying to get myself a contract 😀

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10794 on: March 22, 2020, 07:31:20 PM »
I’m trying to get myself a contract 😀

You failed, miserably  :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10795 on: March 22, 2020, 07:51:06 PM »

Comparing the two on scorebase.com, if it’s reliable of course

This is the league games career comparison

Berahino, age 26, played 133, scored 44, g/g 0.21

Zohore, age 26 (but 6 months younger), played 101, scored 44, g/g 0.24

Thoughts?

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10796 on: March 22, 2020, 08:18:02 PM »
Considering Berahino went about 3 years without scoring I'm disappointed that Zohore's aren't significantly better.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10797 on: March 22, 2020, 08:21:48 PM »
Considering Berahino went about 3 years without scoring I'm disappointed that Zohore's aren't significantly better.

The record books, unfortunately, only record the facts
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10798 on: March 22, 2020, 09:15:36 PM »
Forgive him - yes. I wouldn't have him back. Seems he casued to much trouble and was a rotten apple that spoiled the barrel. You don't go back to that.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10799 on: March 22, 2020, 10:42:47 PM »
Comparing the two on scorebase.com, if it’s reliable of course

This is the league games career comparison

Berahino, age 26, played 133, scored 44, g/g 0.21

Zohore, age 26 (but 6 months younger), played 101, scored 44, g/g 0.24

Thoughts?
Facts be the facts....but I have never looked at Zohore and thought “he’s going to score”...I have on a couple of occasions questioned if he’d scored , after the ball went over the line .
Between the two it’s Saido all day for me.