Poll

Who would you prefer playing?

Roman Bednar
18 (22.5%)
Marc Fortune
62 (77.5%)

Total Members Voted: 190

Author Topic: Roman Bednar or Marc Fortune?  (Read 12060 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Roman Bednar or Marc Fortune?
« on: March 15, 2011, 05:15:52 PM »
Just wondering what your thoughts were, I was on facebook just where someone proclaimed that Bednar is better than Fortune and works alot harder, he then went on to call Marc Fortune 'shocking' to which I disagree and it got me thinking who would you prefer in the starting eleven if Odemwingie wasn't available.

I know Roman Bednar is no longer with the club, but just in case he was who would you prefer?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

Re: Roman Bednar or Marc Fortune?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 05:22:02 PM »
Fortune - he gets on with his job without sulking, gobbing off or bringing shame on our good name.
I only go for the beer.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 06:12:41 PM »
In the championship, Bednar who's a proven source of goals and does a very decent job as lone front man.

In the premier league, Fortune who's bloody awful at finishing (worst in the league) but nonetheless generally does do a good job for the team and we generally do play better with him in the side.

Really not sure he'd cut it in the Championship however, strangely enough.

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 06:59:38 PM »
On the basis of this season's performances- Bednar. Fortune hasn't even been doing the basics this season at times.

Fortune has shown he can look good at this level though, while Bednar hasn't.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 09:21:33 PM »
Bednar works harder, and can actually provide a finish. I would feel more confident with him in the team.

Still should have been sacked for the drugs thing mind...

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 09:30:04 PM »
I think Bednars work rate was a myth, he would lose out to centre halves nine games out of ten and just drift.
I only go for the beer.

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 09:31:47 PM »
No brainer. Fortune all the way. They is a reason why Bednar was shipped out to a struggling Turkish club while Fortune is still in the Premiership.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 09:45:45 PM »
Fortune all the way.Bednar championship at best.Who ever considers otherwise can lend my specs
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 09:48:17 AM »
In our last Premier League season Fortune scored 4 in 17 starts while Bednar got 6 in 12. It isn't fair to add the 14 substitute appearances for Bednar as I don't know how long they were all for and could have been just a few minutes, however Bednar scored one or two penalties if I remember rightly.

Fortune gave us 4 assists to add to his goals while Bednar didn't, I accept that Bednar was almost always up front on his own while Fortune may as well have been with Jay Simpson alongside him a few times.

Looking at that I don't think there is all that much between them, although Bednar may get you an extra couple of goals Fortune seems to create more for others while scoring the odd couple of goals here and there. I would have Fortune every day of the week over Bednar personally, he is more of a team player and doesn't do any whining when he isn't in the team. Also Fortune has never disgraced this football club like Bednar did with his antics away from pitch.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »
If I was manager Fortune wouldnt even make the bench, forget Bednar lets look at the ones who are here, there isnt one that I would put Fortune in front of the way he is playing at the moment! The lad is awful and I go home and away rather than an armchair critic so I reckon I am a farely good judge!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 10:57:39 AM »
If I was manager Fortune wouldnt even make the bench, forget Bednar lets look at the ones who are here, there isnt one that I would put Fortune in front of the way he is playing at the moment! The lad is awful and I go home and away rather than an armchair critic so I reckon I am a farely good judge!

So do i, and i disagree completely.
I only go for the beer.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 11:20:39 AM »
So do i, and i disagree completely.

and i agree with you too.I hope to god the minority don't turn on Fortune.Works tirelessly
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 11:29:32 AM »
Each to their own I guess but if you are happy with the way Fortune is playing then you are easily pleased, forget the fact he runs around a lot, that is the bare minimum I would expect from anyone but the things that make a striker ie goals, shots on targets, staying onside and staying on your feet he is bloody awful at and I for one would not be gutted if he was dropped, but I do not boo him as I have said many a time before, but when it comes to giving an opinion on a forum the way he is playing at the moment he should be dropped.
If you go to the games and Fortune is so good, why was he subbed after 45 mins against Blues? The fact is when he went off and PO came on the game changed and we won, not blaming MAF im just saying he is not good enough in any way shape or form!

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 12:00:21 PM »
I'm pretty certain Fortune went off at half time with a slight injury against Blues.

He wouldn't be my first choice but I think he's done a decent enough job as of late, nothing spectacular but he has dragged defenders out of position regularly but the space is rarely exploited. Not enough of a goal threat sadly but then he's not really had a decent run of games.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 12:01:56 PM by B_H_Baggie »

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 12:00:59 PM »
Fortune for me as other people have said he gets on with it, he work hard for the team as well.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Blakedown Baggie

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 12:12:46 PM »
Each to their own I guess but if you are happy with the way Fortune is playing then you are easily pleased, forget the fact he runs around a lot, that is the bare minimum I would expect from anyone but the things that make a striker ie goals, shots on targets, staying onside and staying on your feet he is bloody awful at and I for one would not be gutted if he was dropped, but I do not boo him as I have said many a time before, but when it comes to giving an opinion on a forum the way he is playing at the moment he should be dropped.
If you go to the games and Fortune is so good, why was he subbed after 45 mins against Blues? The fact is when he went off and PO came on the game changed and we won, not blaming MAF im just saying he is not good enough in any way shape or form!

I think you should speak to Roy Hodgson,  because he thinks Fortune is doing a great job for us softening up the opposition for the impact players like Vela and Odemwingie to take advantage. As it stands at the moment, he is doing the job the manager wants from him,and I trust the managers judgement.
If you go to games and were at the blues, you should have seen that the tactics of both halves were completely different. First half was all about containment, with the midfield rarely venturing forward. The second half was completely different, hence Morrison and Scharner getting on the scoresheet.
PS I also go to all the home and away games and have done so for  many years.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 12:21:41 PM »
For me he could do a little more,he isnt quite working the defenders enough with mobility as he was first time around with us.Still our best option in that role though.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 12:23:51 PM »
How can you say Odemwingie is an impact player???? He is our top scorer and started all games except 2 when fit, tactics for the Blues game didnt change at all it was 4-5-1 both halves, just happened to create more 2nd half and take our chances, one of the reasons for this was PO is a lot more direct than MAF and he made a difference, I dont recall seeing anything about MAF being injured at HT?? To me it was tactical and worked!!

Blakedown Baggie

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 12:34:32 PM »
How can you say Odemwingie is an impact player???? He is our top scorer and started all games except 2 when fit, tactics for the Blues game didnt change at all it was 4-5-1 both halves, just happened to create more 2nd half and take our chances, one of the reasons for this was PO is a lot more direct than MAF and he made a difference, I dont recall seeing anything about MAF being injured at HT?? To me it was tactical and worked!!

You seem to contradict yourself a little bit there, but still I will leave it to your better judgement.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »
I was told by someone who has links to someone on the coaching staff at the club that Marco had a slight injury and he was taken off as a precaution, it is possible that it isn't true of course but Hodgson did say that he had a minor injury in the piece about Vela getting some game time in the internationals yesterday and the guy who told me is often spot on.

Odemwingie would always be first choice as the lone striker for me personally purely down to his pace and movement, unfortunately the guy has struggled with his fitness with different small injuries but considering the amount of football he has played in the last year it is to be expected.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 01:39:35 PM »
You seem to contradict yourself a little bit there, but still I will leave it to your better judgement.
Maybe the wrong choice of words then what I was trying to say was tactics FORMATION didnt change ie we stayed at 4-5-1 BOTH halves, and that the substitution was tactical (he didnt look injured) in the fact he replaced MAF with PO and that made the difference!!

Anyway back on to topic, I wouldnt have Bednar or MAF in the team!

the_mighty_boosh

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 10:03:51 PM »
I think you should speak to Roy Hodgson,  because he thinks Fortune is doing a great job for us softening up the opposition for the impact players like Vela and Odemwingie to take advantage. As it stands at the moment, he is doing the job the manager wants from him,and I trust the managers judgement.
If you go to games and were at the blues, you should have seen that the tactics of both halves were completely different. First half was all about containment, with the midfield rarely venturing forward. The second half was completely different, hence Morrison and Scharner getting on the scoresheet.

spot on ar kid, spot on!!!!!
if i were wrong, dont you think id know it!

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 10:17:26 PM »

Fantastic post and summed up my feelings exactly!!

the_mighty_boosh

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 10:31:49 PM »
i think for the first time in 30+ years we've got a manager who knows what he's doing tactical wise!
you dont spend 35 years in management if your pants

im just as excited as when megson said why cant Albion get in the prem and did it!!!

GWAN ROY, DO YA THING!!!!

Fortune or Bednar? i'll leave it for Roy to chose
if i were wrong, dont you think id know it!

albionproud70

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 10:36:21 PM »
Fortune....
No moaning sulking or media blurting...
Just gets on with it and gives his best every match despite what some blinkered fans think they see...