Author Topic: Fortune - the new Luke Moore / Nathan Ellington?  (Read 36290 times)

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

Fortune - the new Luke Moore / Nathan Ellington?
« on: February 20, 2011, 03:23:10 PM »
In terms of crowd getting on his back? I agree he was woeful today but funny how after the wigan game lots of fans were calling for him to start and some were also raving about him in our last season in the prem personally I would like to see cox given a striking role at some stage but I think roy may persist with fortune much like he did with zamora at fulham in his first season despite him scoring about 3 goals all season he kept playing him. Just hope fortune doesn't suffer the luke moore treatment.

BaggieJames114

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Fortune - the new Luke Moore / Nathan Ellington?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 03:26:28 PM »
Hope not, hes a decent player. We are never going to get the 'perfect' player so we have to make do. Dont like Cox in our team though

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 03:26:54 PM »
I thought he was the only one today who showed some fight.  Granted he made some poor decisions when he had the ball, missed that sitter and is genuinely frustrating but at least he puts himself about.

Did more than Odemwingie today who has been generally poor now for weeks.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 03:27:02 PM »
He deserved to start today after the West Ham game. Yes he was poor but not alone, Odemwingie was not much better.

He's the only striker we have who is capable of holding the ball up, the others are all pretty similar.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 03:30:52 PM »
The problem is like craig beattie who I always liked because he worked hard he is a similar player most fans just judge his goal scoring record as do I generally I spose its like heskey a willing worker but not enough goals I just hope he doesn't become victim of the boo boys.

boot2006

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 03:33:10 PM »
He was the only striker that looked interested today.  I thought he tried hard but lacked a little bit of quality on occasions.

I don't mind someone missing a chance if they put the effort in.  Fortune was one of the only players on the pitch who appeared to understand what a derby means to the fans.

Needs to use his strength a bit better at times but how people can slag him off constantly today when golden-boy-lazy can't be arsed to put in a performance is completely beyond me.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »
I thought he was the only one today who showed some fight.  Granted he made some poor decisions when he had the ball, missed that sitter and is genuinely frustrating but at least he puts himself about.

Did more than Odemwingie today who has been generally poor now for weeks.

Guess everybody has their own opinions but I thought other than Giles Barnes coming on against West Ham, that was one of the worst performances I have seen from a player in an Albion shirt. Odemwingie was just as poor.

Fortune just seemed so bloody lazy.

lamelarm

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 03:51:19 PM »
In terms of crowd getting on his back? I agree he was woeful today but funny how after the wigan game lots of fans were calling for him to start and some were also raving about him in our last season in the prem personally I would like to see cox given a striking role at some stage but I think roy may persist with fortune much like he did with zamora at fulham in his first season despite him scoring about 3 goals all season he kept playing him. Just hope fortune doesn't suffer the luke moore treatment.

He puts a lot of effort in, he just lacks in so many areas. He is a big strong lad who obviously gets up for games because he does run his socks off. But just nothing there

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 03:52:17 PM »
I don't think Fortune was awful today at all. I think the problem is he isn't a natural goalscorer, and if the fans don't see goals from a 'striker', then he is awful apparently. His work-rate puts others to shame; our fans were booing everyone today - so I don't know how much to read into it. However, I have felt there is growing dislike for him which is completely undeserved, he has hardly had much match-time his confidence is low, but he still gives everything and does some things very well at times. If Fortune is an awful player, based on todays performance, Odemwingie should never play again for this club.

GAZZER

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 03:59:37 PM »
I agree I thought his work rate was good and put effort in. Petes touch today was awful and he seemed to lack confidence to take people on going forward today, when we did he caused problems but he does put us under pressure when he gives it away easily. Fortune chases  and holds up the ball well but doesnt have the end product that we need yet. Its his 3rd game in a row and what have we thats better doing that job?  I fee Vela needs to start he looks sharp and always looking to probe defences and offers options with his runs as he wants the ball. 

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 04:02:33 PM »
How in gods name was he woeful?

He chased, harried, held up and layed off - the bloke sweat blood for us today.
I only go for the beer.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 04:15:38 PM »
Fortune works hard but hasn't got much of a footballing brain. He certainly puts the effort in but he just hasn't got the goal scoring instincts needed at this level.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 04:17:56 PM »
I'm more harsh in the ground because it annoys me too easily. Especially in a derby. He frustrated the life out of me when he failed to connect with the ball to what probably would of been a goal.

I'll give it him he did work.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 04:20:44 PM »
I'm more harsh in the ground because it annoys me too easily. Especially in a derby. He frustrated the life out of me when he failed to connect with the ball to what probably would of been a goal.

I'll give it him he did work.

I know exactly what you mean. Plus, he just seems to be magnetised to the touchlines. He needs to make his mind up whether he's a CF or a Winger.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 04:24:31 PM »
I know exactly what you mean. Plus, he just seems to be magnetised to the touchlines. He needs to make his mind up whether he's a CF or a Winger.

Just as bad when he gets to the wing, he completely stops the ball and loses all momentum. His final ball then isn't the best. He should take them on straight away, it's understandable if you don't have any support, but don't stop it and then try to beat them.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 04:26:22 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 04:29:21 PM »
This is the dampener of the day for me, all the criticism he has got, yes he did a few things wrong but who didn't today?
Plus he was far better than odemwingie who has been poor in the last few games, Fortune lacks the ability at times but i feel makes up for it with his hard work, one of the only ones that tried throughout today,despite doing a few things wrong he was one of the not so bad players and for me it shouldn't be him we should all be hoping to dropped. Odemwingie for me is closer to being replaced.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 04:30:47 PM »
Shall we talk about how bad Odemwingie has been for the last two games or shall we ignore that in favour of slating Fortune?
I only go for the beer.

WBARoberts

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 04:34:03 PM »
Shall we talk about how bad Odemwingie has been for the last two games or shall we ignore that in favour of slating Fortune?

Odemwingie has been poor lately, I think the atmosphere contributed to the criticism of Fortune. He missed from 6 yards out when all it needed was a touch, the only thing that annoyed me, was how greedy he was trying to correct his mistakes, couldn't question his work rate but when he hassled and won the ball back, he made awful decisions.

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 04:35:12 PM »
Exactly my thoughts RowleyBaggie im glad somebody agrees.

Another thing that frustrated me about today, despite Brunt not having the best game and warranting the Man of the match award, the face people booed, how must that make him feel, he is on our team, why can't you just say to someone that you disagree with that or better still text in yourself and have some sort of input in deciding who gets man of the match.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 04:37:55 PM »
Im starting to be better if we played crucial games behind closed doors, keep the idiotic tools out.
I only go for the beer.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »
Fans have every right to criticise Fortune. Firstly, let's acknowledge the good points: he ran around and got stuck in and "put in a shift" and held the ball up some times. However, that does not excuse the fact that he was caught offside on numerous occassions in the first half, when most of the time he wasn't even trying to make a run, which is madly frustrating - just a modocum of sense and awarness could have prevented that. He also went to ground far too easily and wasted several good positions by inexplicably falling over when under no pressure. Finally he missed a sitter by inexplicably deciding not to shoot from point blank range! But for Vela and the last gasp rescue he would have been our chief culprit which cost us a damaging defeat. I can't help but think that if he had scored his sitter we would have had enougth time to get a winner. I think the fans are generally being very fair to the players who have let us down massively over the past few months. By and large we stick with them. Occassionally they get abuse, and often it's warranted. Overall the team should be grateful for our loyalty.

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 04:41:45 PM »
At  times he looks great. Strong and all of a sudden gets a burst of pace.

But if he doesnt win a challenge will just stand there and not chase back which really pees me off.

His final ball/shot is nowhere near good enough either.

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 04:45:37 PM »
The criticism of Fortune in the stands, on here and on the radio is completely over the top IMO. He didn't have the best of games today but he worked hard, ran the channels very well and generally got into some good positions. His touch and general ability let him down at times but I think he has a very important part to play between now and the end of the season. He certainly wasn't helped by a very poor performance from his striker partner Odemwingie.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 04:47:31 PM »
He's one of those players who at his best is a real handful but when not in form he really is a one trick pony imo. Today he seemed to be unable to do anything but hold it up, now at times this proved beneficial but sometimes it was just aggravating and his miss, if we'd have lost would have been unforgivable  ;D
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 04:47:39 PM »
Another thing that frustrated me about today, despite Brunt not having the best game and warranting the Man of the match award, the face people booed, how must that make him feel, he is on our team

Brunt deserves the stick he got because he's attitude stinks. I'm sick and tired of seeing him moping around the pitch with his head down. What we have lacked over the last few weeks is sheer hard work, commitment and determination. Brunt had been central to that, we haven't got time to accept players having baby hissy fits because the game isn't working out for them. He's not the only one, Morrison seems to think he's messi and he can just glide about as well. So overall I would say that Brunt and others need to win the fans over not the other way around. Although, to give them some credit the work-rate and desire today were much better. But that's a minimum that we should expect in every game left this season.