Author Topic: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City  (Read 635548 times)

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City
« Reply #3600 on: September 04, 2013, 11:15:29 AM »
I could, but I'm sick of seeing his name. I didn't like him when he played for us, now I'm happy he's gone and I assumed that was the end of it. I'm just not sure what else there is to be said that hasn't already been said over the past 9 months.

I hear what you're saying GD & I agree with you to a certain extent, thing is Pete is a latter day mis-legend (made that up), a West Brom anti-hero if you like & as such some people (yes I'm looking at you Jacko) will continue to want to debate his contribution to what has been a very successful period of our recent past, bit sad that it all ended how it did but I don't have any ill feelings towards him, we move on! life really is too short for grudges.
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3601 on: September 04, 2013, 10:02:08 PM »
Jacko, your attempts to defend Odemwingie are admirable, if a little misguided at times. But to suggest that he never won over the fans is ridiculous to put it mildly.

After the hat-trick at Dingleland we all regarded him as a hero, myself included. His name was sung every single match. One of the best players we've had for decades. Defend him all you like, but don't criticise the fans for never taking to him - utter nonsense, sorry.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3602 on: September 04, 2013, 10:17:07 PM »
Jacko, your attempts to defend Odemwingie are admirable, if a little misguided at times. But to suggest that he never won over the fans is ridiculous to put it mildly.

After the hat-trick at Dingleland we all regarded him as a hero, myself included. His name was sung every single match. One of the best players we've had for decades. Defend him all you like, but don't criticise the fans for never taking to him - utter nonsense, sorry.

Yet it's not nonsense is it mate more of an uncomfortable truth I would say, other people have gone along/agreed with my assertion, it isn't one lone voice as you suggest.

Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3603 on: September 04, 2013, 10:33:53 PM »
Also he never quite won over the majority of the fans.

Do you really believe that or are you looking for some reactions?

You're willing to defend Odemwingie and I respect that despite not agreeing with it but this comment in particular is nonsense in my opinion. To suggest he never quite won over the fans is surely looking for reactions from other members. Ever since he scored his goal against Sunderland and his problems in Russia became known, he received nothing but our praise and full attention. Fans even paid to display a banner issuing nothing but 100% support. His song was chanted just as much as anybody else over the last year and a half, sometimes more. After his hat-trick against the Wolves he was in territory not many other Albion players had been before - he would have been loved forever, remembered widely as a legend, yet he threw that away himself - nothing of the fans doing and that is the real shame of this whole saga.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3604 on: September 04, 2013, 10:48:07 PM »
Do you really believe that or are you looking for some reactions?

You're willing to defend Odemwingie and I respect that despite not agreeing with it but this comment in particular is nonsense in my opinion. To suggest he never quite won over the fans is surely looking for reactions from other members. Ever since he scored his goal against Sunderland and his problems in Russia became known, he received nothing but our praise and full attention. Fans even paid to display a banner issuing nothing but 100% support. His song was chanted just as much as anybody else over the last year and a half, sometimes more. After his hat-trick against the Wolves he was in territory not many other Albion players had been before - he would have been loved forever, remembered widely as a legend, yet he threw that away himself - nothing of the fans doing and that is the real shame of this whole saga.

I've been to virtually every game since PO signed. I heard crowd reactions, I heard people talking under the stand, I heard people talking in pubs before games and I have been active in Odemwingie threads on here. He has been labelled lazy, greedy, mercenary, overrated, childish and all this was before the January 2013 transfer window.  I believe what I have said, I don't post up on here looking for "reactions", yet I am accused of it more than I would like by people who don't disagree with my opinion, that's just as bad as shouting me down imo.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3605 on: September 04, 2013, 10:52:32 PM »
I've been to virtually every game since PO signed. I heard crowd reactions, I heard people talking under the stand, I heard people talking in pubs before games and I have been active in Odemwingie threads on here. He has been labelled lazy, greedy, mercenary, overrated, childish and all this was before the January 2013 transfer window.  I believe what I have said, I don't post up on here looking for "reactions", yet I am accused of it more than I would like by people who don't disagree with my opinion, that's just as bad as shouting me down imo.

I've called him all those things at one point or another, it's because he was all of those things at some point. That doesn't take away from the fact I knew he was our most dangerous player, and match winner, when he was on song.
Allllllll aboard

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3606 on: September 04, 2013, 10:58:08 PM »
I think jacko is right on this one, PO has done a lot more for us than certain other players yet their name gets sung more often and louder?
I've always said it felt an uneasy fit with no small number of our fans?
Really don't know why , maybe we are spoilt, maybe as we go up the leagues the glory hunters (experts ) attach themselves and feel the need to discredit to get a voice?

When all said and done , we fetched him on a long haul flight next day he scores on his dayboo :D, he scored the equaliser against them scumbags from b6, played rb, rw, cf against Chelsea all at the same time almost winning the match himself and then.....how can anybody ever forget that match at that 5hithole with that hattrick .
Good luck , god bless and please don't score against us.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3607 on: September 04, 2013, 10:58:15 PM »
I've called him all those things at one point or another, it's because he was all of those things at some point. That doesn't take away from the fact I knew he was our most dangerous player, and match winner, when he was on song.

I'm not suggesting we didn't know his worth, I'm suggesting we didn't turn a blind eye to his limitations (mostly mental) whereas we do to (just for example) to Shane Long's glaring footballing limitations.

There were always undercurrents with Odemwingie among the fanbase.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3608 on: September 04, 2013, 11:18:12 PM »
Jacko, the thread is Odemwingie, why bring Long into another topic, we know you don't like/ rate the bloke, we get the message.

Almost every topic has to involve either Brunt/ Pete (to be replaced by AN Other) in the one corner or Dorrans/ Long in the other.

I have also been to probably every game Pete played for us and have heard minor comments here and there, nothing more than that so maybe I have been in different pubs/ different parts of the grounds. Minor comments get aimed at every player we have, every player we have had and every player we will have, thats life. It was minor here and here until January, nothing more than that

tucka9

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3609 on: September 04, 2013, 11:20:39 PM »
I tend to agree Odemwingie probably did get abused at times before all the wanting to leave stuff started, but if you have to name a player whose name was song the most in his first two years at the club it has to be Odemwingie?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3610 on: September 04, 2013, 11:27:52 PM »
Jacko, the thread is Odemwingie, why bring Long into another topic, we know you don't like/ rate the bloke, we get the message.

Almost every topic has to involve either Brunt/ Pete (to be replaced by AN Other) in the one corner or Dorrans/ Long in the other.

I have also been to probably every game Pete played for us and have heard minor comments here and there, nothing more than that so maybe I have been in different pubs/ different parts of the grounds. Minor comments get aimed at every player we have, every player we have had and every player we will have, thats life. It was minor here and here until January, nothing more than that

You take exception to me comparing players at almost every turn. Long IS the archetypal fans favourite at Albion that is why I used him, irrespective of whether I rate him or not. Comparing players is an obvious way to make a point, as fans of the club we know all the players, whereas people maybe won't know a reference to something outside of the club for example in popular culture (there was a reference to Robbie Williams in another thread that made no sense (to me at least)) or another footballer from another club.

You say "nothing more than that" and I accept that is your opinion, I just happen to disagree with it. That is one big problem on here when you put on "nothing more than that" it reads as a statement of fact rather than an opinion, similarly when I say that "Odemwingie never completely won over the fans" it looks as though I am stating it as fact. It is purely my opinion, agreed with by two or three others in the last few posts, disagreed with by a few others in the last few posts.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3611 on: September 04, 2013, 11:30:38 PM »
I tend to agree Odemwingie probably did get abused at times before all the wanting to leave stuff started, but if you have to name a player whose name was song the most in his first two years at the club it has to be Odemwingie?
More than mulumbu?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3612 on: September 04, 2013, 11:34:16 PM »
You take exception to me comparing players at almost every turn. Long IS the archetypal fans favourite at Albion that is why I used him, irrespective of whether I rate him or not. Comparing players is an obvious way to make a point, as fans of the club we know all the players, whereas people maybe won't know a reference to something outside of the club for example in popular culture (there was a reference to Robbie Williams in another thread that made no sense (to me at least)) or another footballer from another club.

You say "nothing more than that" and I accept that is your opinion, I just happen to disagree with it. That is one big problem on here when you put on "nothing more than that" it reads as a statement of fact rather than an opinion, similarly when I say that "Odemwingie never completely won over the fans" it looks as though I am stating it as fact. It is purely my opinion, agreed with by two or three others in the last few posts, disagreed with by a few others in the last few posts.

No more a statement of fact than the posts you yourself put which also come across to folk as statements as fact where you give the impression you are right, the rest are wrong which you have just said is merely you giving your opinion. This forum is a mere minor percentage of Albion fans so could be argued that what is agreed/ disagreed by some means not a lot in the general scheme of things, just like what is said on the Express and Star website for example.

I don't take exception to anything I just find it difficult to understand why you have to bring certain players into topics for no reason other than to big up or put down. You can dress it up as comparing but we all know why you do it as we've read it often enough.

tucka9

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3613 on: September 04, 2013, 11:34:42 PM »
More than mulumbu?

I'd say home games more Mulumbu, but every away game in his first two years the "just can't get enough" song would go on for ages each game I seem to remember.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3614 on: September 04, 2013, 11:46:48 PM »
No more a statement of fact than the posts you yourself put which also come across to folk as statements as fact where you give the impression you are right, the rest are wrong which you have just said is merely you giving your opinion. This forum is a mere minor percentage of Albion fans so could be argued that what is agreed/ disagreed by some means not a lot in the general scheme of things, just like what is said on the Express and Star website for example.

I don't take exception to anything I just find it difficult to understand why you have to bring certain players into topics for no reason other than to big up or put down. You can dress it up as comparing but we all know why you do it as we've read it often enough.

I said that!!!  :-X

I'm glad you "know" why I do things, I'll ask you if I'm ever unsure...

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3615 on: September 04, 2013, 11:49:39 PM »
I said that!!!  :-X

I'm glad you "know" why I do things, I'll ask you if I'm ever unsure...

I know you said it  :D

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3616 on: September 13, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »

Odemwingie Claims Cardiff City Better Than WBA Vital Football - Cardiff City 17:51

http://www.cardiff.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=332117

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3617 on: September 13, 2013, 06:25:07 PM »

Odemwingie Claims Cardiff City Better Than WBA Vital Football - Cardiff City 17:51

is he having a laugh.The atmosphere will be spicy for him when Barrrdiff come to the Hawthorns
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3618 on: September 13, 2013, 06:36:58 PM »

Did anyone really expect anything less? predictable Pete, just predictable  :-[
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3619 on: September 13, 2013, 06:42:42 PM »
I have no time for him any more, but to be fair, he was probably asked out right, does he think Cardiff are a stronger team. Journo's ask leading questions all the time and then only publish the question, so it looks like a brash statement.

The guy is a d**k, but he's lead my the nose and isn't very bright about it.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

maximus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3620 on: September 13, 2013, 06:43:03 PM »
got his move to a new club and yet still finds the time to mention the albion.....

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3621 on: September 13, 2013, 10:12:25 PM »
For someone so desperate to leave he certainly seems to want to talk about us a lot.

He's fallen out with every club and manager he's played for - it's like a bloke who's followed through complaining that every room he goes into smells of pooh.
I only go for the beer.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3622 on: September 13, 2013, 10:28:26 PM »
Guardian article..... Albion really don't come off well here....

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/13/peter-odemwinge-fallout-west-bromwich-albion
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3623 on: September 13, 2013, 10:40:53 PM »
Whole worlds against him, poor bloke.  ::)

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3624 on: September 13, 2013, 10:45:59 PM »
I only go for the beer.