Author Topic: 5 Jan 2019 Albion 1 Wigan Ath 0 (FA Cup 3)  (Read 36520 times)

Canmore Baggie

• Junior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #200 on: January 05, 2019, 02:47:30 PM »
My thoughts from the stream
-Harper looks fantastic and needs a chance in the Championship now Livermore is suspended
-Field has gone backwards
-Leko looked very lively and a decent option from the bench
-Holgate better than Tosin at RB
-Bartley is better as a RCB than anywhere near a back 3
-Sako is off the pace and doesn't look fit but has that Tchoyi factor
-Hoolahan is very tidy and probably deserves more time on the pitch
-Bond in some ways looks safer than Johnstone

Good comments - not much to add.
Thought 3-1 would have been a fair reflection of the game and the chances. Sako unlucky not to get a second - superb clearance by the defender. Lots of nice footwork but his crossing was poor and he tired by 70 mins.
Harper superb - must get some game time.
Leko as good as I’ve seen him - still way off the finished article but needs game time.
Holgate looks class.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #201 on: January 05, 2019, 02:58:47 PM »
Very cold!

Thought after a typically slow start we played really well considering the changes to personnel. Our play orchestrated by the excellent Chris Brunt in midfield was very quick one touch passing. Rekeem Harper was brilliant and I now concur deserves Championship game time. Sam Field was steady and you can see why he's struggling to break through, he doesn't to anything really well, he's not remotely eye catching .

Up top I was very impressed with Jon Leko who I had almost written off, he was the pick of the forwards. Hoolahan was busy and Sako unpredictable but neither are the answer.

At the back Townsend was surprisingly good and Holgate looks the part. Tosin marshalled Bartley well and aside from one pass straight out of play and one ridiculous air kick in our box he also looked better on the right side of the two.

Our reserves are better than Wigan's and in Leko and Harper we have some potential to incorporate into the group going forward.

Into the hat. Boing Boing.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #202 on: January 05, 2019, 03:12:57 PM »
Really happy with that - should have been more than 1-0.

First half was often sluggish but when we grew into the game we played really well. Ball was moved very quickly through midfield and defence.

Sako was awful.

Jonathan Leko was superb - Wigan players were frightened to go near him. Really good performance.

Rekheem Harper - the future of this football club. Such maturity and physique to his play.

That for me was the stand out - seeing two home grown products play very well - the standing ovation they both received was fully deserved.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2019, 03:29:34 PM »
Uninspiring game between two teams that didn't seem bothered if they won it or not.

First half they started the better before we woke up, nice to see Brunt putting a cross in and a goal coming from it as thats what he can do. Hoolahan woke up after he moved out of the centre, must be the smallest centre forward i've ever seen as thats where he spent much of his time to no effect. Second half Brunt tired and disappeared, Harper the pick of the midfield whereas the club for me have done a job on Field and he is not the player he was last season so simple thing is stop wetting him about and send him on loan to get a bit of love for the game back.

Bartley and Tosin both had their best games for us and along with Holgate defended well, Townsend still looks a division above his capabilities but hopefully will come with experience.

Leko still struggling with decision making and Sako is an enigma so far, too many tricks and not enough substance.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2019, 04:03:24 PM »
But I thought our squad was awful? I thought there was no way the young players would cope and Darren had no option but to play players out of position? I thought it was a miracle that he'd got us to 4th?

Seriously though, he got the team selection and subs spot on today. Result was irrelevent but nice for the youngsters to get a win. I hope that Moore has learnt more about some of those players today, some of them deserve a chance in the league.

Holgate straight in at RB against Norwich, would love to see Harper given a chance while Livermore is suspended.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #205 on: January 05, 2019, 04:13:25 PM »
Just got home. Some parts of the game were like a testimonial, down to walking pace. But there were plenty of moments of excitement. One thing was clear to me, and that is we have very little creativity in the team. We always went backwards as the first option. I remember two clear moments where Brunt and Field had the ball, facing away from goal with lots of time to turn, but they hoofed it backwards. This has to change.

Wigan added some early pressure and won about 5 corners in the opening 20 mins, but it didn't come to much. After the goal the game seemed to come to life a bit and Wigan upped the tempo but I think they lacked the overall quality to truly test us.

I think Holgate was superb. Read the ball well, classy touch and not afraid to tackle. It was disappointing that he kept making runs down the right and was in acres of space but the ball rarely went to him. Surely this is tactical, because I don't see why they would ignore him so much. Hopefully he will be a regular at right back as he looks a class above anything we have there at the moment.

Field looked more comfortable in midfield and I thought Bartley had a fairly decent game to be fair. Made a few decent challenges and played two good diagonal balls out to the left wing. Another good runner was Hoolahan, sadly lacking the pace, but didn't stop chasing the ball all game.

On a negative note, I know Sako scored the winning goal, but he offered nothing to the rest of the game. I thought he was a willing runner, but was very poor overall. His touch was diabolical and he was slow to release the ball when he had a good opportunity to. Also ran offside a few times when he was looking along the line. He had the chance to show DM his capabilities, but on today's performance I wouldn't have him anywhere near the starting XI.

The young guns did well but their lack of experience showed with some of the balls into the box. They'll come good though in time.

A better team would have destroyed us today, which shows the gulf in class between our starting XI and the second XI. Our squad seems to be either very young and inexperienced or very old with no pace or creativity, which is alarming if we have any injuries or suspensions, or we lose Barnes.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2019, 04:17:05 PM »
I can't believe people were impressed with Leko. I thought he was awful on the ball. His final ball is always poor. The shot from his golden chance was dire. He was the worst player on the pitch for me.

Overall I thought we did OK. The defence were rarely threatened by a poor Wigan attack. The midfield three I thought all did well, that was the best area of our team today. Complimented each others games well. Can't help feel one or two are going slightly O.T.T. with Harper but he did fine, as did Field and Brunt I thought first half hour was superb.

Sako looked a bit sharper but I'm not convinced by him. Hoolahan is a neat and tidy footballer but has no strength and no pace and can't hurt the opposition. 

Holgate had a mixed bag of a debut for me, some good stuff, some not so good. Townsend as usual plenty of energy and effort.

Bond had one save to make and made it. Looked comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Decent enough performance overall but what a dead atmosphere. F.A. Cup games never used to be like that.  :(

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2019, 04:23:01 PM »
Good game overall, enjoyed that. We’ve got some good kids in the squad and it’s good for them to get a run out.

Every time I see Harper play I’m impressed with him, and he was my man of the match again today. Won the majority of things in the middle, great passing and energy.

Leko has his moments but clearly isn’t the finished product. Needs a loan somewhere to get some experience of playing in a first team.

Field was steady and kept things ticking over.

The keeper Bond seemed confident and his kicking was very good. Made a good save in the first half too.

Edwards also looks to have potential and held the ball up well after he came on.

Brunt and Hoolahan both quieter in the second half but did what was needed.

Thought Tosin looked much more assured not at right back, however I think Holgate will be taking the right back position anyway, so Tosin is likely to be backup to Hegazi and Dawson now.

Wigan were very poor and offered nothing for 89 minutes of the game, but we were professional and could have won by 3 if we finished a bit better.

On to the next round and hopefully a decent draw.

On to the negatives, Townsend wasn’t great in my opinion and we probably won’t see much of him this season. Sako, even though he scored was poor. Needed taking off as he couldn’t even control the ball by the end. The goal was lucky that it ended up even going in.
I agree with just about all of this, if Harper doesn't get a few starts soon I think he will start to look elsewhere for his next contract and be the next Roofe - Leko's got something but needs to play to keep on improving, so loan him out.

Sako looked liked a fat old PE teacher making up the numbers with the kids, but he took his goal well, you can see on the camera angle from behind the goal he drifts back away from his man, gets him wondering then nips back in front of him neatly.  I think he can give us a useful option for the rest of the season if he gets a bit fitter and gets his feet a bit "softer" ;)

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2019, 04:26:33 PM »
My thoughts from the stream
-Harper looks fantastic and needs a chance in the Championship now Livermore is suspended
-Field has gone backwards
-Leko looked very lively and a decent option from the bench
-Holgate better than Tosin at RB
-Bartley is better as a RCB than anywhere near a back 3
-Sako is off the pace and doesn't look fit but has that Tchoyi factor
-Hoolahan is very tidy and probably deserves more time on the pitch
-Bond in some ways looks safer than Johnstone

I would pretty much agree with all of that.
I would add Harper needs a new contract
Field has defiantly regressed needs a loan deal to league 1 to get 20 games under his belt.
Leko impressed me today. Definitely should be option from bench if not get him out on loan too. Good to see Edwards get minutes also
Holgate comfy at rb tosin looked far better at centre back
Shout out to Bartley who had a good game and played some raking passes.
Hoolahan showed he's a very good player or was. Shame his legs are gone.
Bond better at the football from the back. Made a very good stop early on.
Sako being like tchoyi is most accurate thing here.

We won, next round. Harper & field 90 mins. Holgate solid unspectacular debut. Leko showed flashes of class. Edwards got minutes. We kept a clean sheet. Hopefully we are rewarded with a kind draw.
O Albion we love you

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2019, 05:31:35 PM »
Echo most, Harper was very good
Holgate didn't break sweat and looked very competent
Bartley/Tosin both looked calm and did the job well
Field good without being dynamic, but that looked to be the instructions
Bond would be first team starting for me

Sako.....terrible first touch for a professional , someone should talk to him, concentrate on control first, get your bloody silly hair cut and no point crossing to no one LOOK UP

Brunt ....makes me bloody angry , every free kick, every corner , which means most of the time there is a big stop in play whilst he meanders across to the wrong side....then the clapping by the crowd....then the failed or overhit delivery......then he's out of place leaving us exposed .....and a stupid petulant yellow card

Townsend....maybe slightly harsh, generally he was quite good but will not go forward pasta man , every time turns in/back.......he has pace, can cross ....should be more confident

Overall job done , maybe 1-2 that may feel that they deserve to be in the league 18 against Norwich ....

If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2019, 07:33:04 PM »
Echo most, Harper was very good
Holgate didn't break sweat and looked very competent
Bartley/Tosin both looked calm and did the job well
Field good without being dynamic, but that looked to be the instructions
Bond would be first team starting for me

Sako.....terrible first touch for a professional , someone should talk to him, concentrate on control first, get your bloody silly hair cut and no point crossing to no one LOOK UP

Brunt ....makes me bloody angry , every free kick, every corner , which means most of the time there is a big stop in play whilst he meanders across to the wrong side....then the clapping by the crowd....then the failed or overhit delivery......then he's out of place leaving us exposed .....and a stupid petulant yellow card

Townsend....maybe slightly harsh, generally he was quite good but will not go forward pasta man , every time turns in/back.......he has pace, can cross ....should be more confident

Overall job done , maybe 1-2 that may feel that they deserve to be in the league 18 against Norwich ....
Ha Ha , me too mate
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2019, 07:56:27 PM »

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #212 on: January 06, 2019, 09:16:38 AM »

Don't get me wrong I don't think Brunt should be in the starting 11 and hopefully playing the 90 yesterday means he won't start against Norwich, but for the first game in ages his corners were actually okay and he nearly scored from a freekick, only a good save stopped it going in the top corner, also a very good delivery for Sako's goal. Agree about the stupid yellow but he can't tackle to save his life and often gives away stupid fouls.

Thought Leko was poor at first but grew into the game and was good second half. Field was tidy without being spectacular but Harper was the pick not only of the youngsters but of the midfield. Hopefully he'll get game time for Livermore.

Townsend started slowly and seemed reluctant to get forward for the first 20 mins or so but once he started to get forward I thought he was okay. Holgate looked very assured and had a good debut, unlucky not to score. Adabarioyo and Bartley looked okay and I noticed Bartley talking to Holgate first half at a throw in; getting him to move into a better position.

We shpuld have won by more than 1 and maybe if we'd started with an actual forward rather than a midfielder leading the attack we might have done. Like others, I thought Sako was pretty poor. He took his goal well enough but lacked quality when crossing and needs to understand that doing multiple step-overs achieves very little.

Edwards looked good when he came on and I'd like to see him get more game time from the bench.

Glad we're through and I hope for a decent draw in the next round. IF Liverpool turn up tomorrow night we may well be the only West Midlands club left in it.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #213 on: January 06, 2019, 12:42:28 PM »
Don't get me wrong I don't think Brunt should be in the starting 11 and hopefully playing the 90 yesterday means he won't start against Norwich, but for the first game in ages his corners were actually okay and he nearly scored from a freekick, only a good save stopped it going in the top corner, also a very good delivery for Sako's goal. Agree about the stupid yellow but he can't tackle to save his life and often gives away stupid fouls.

Thought Leko was poor at first but grew into the game and was good second half. Field was tidy without being spectacular but Harper was the pick not only of the youngsters but of the midfield. Hopefully he'll get game time for Livermore.

Townsend started slowly and seemed reluctant to get forward for the first 20 mins or so but once he started to get forward I thought he was okay. Holgate looked very assured and had a good debut, unlucky not to score. Adabarioyo and Bartley looked okay and I noticed Bartley talking to Holgate first half at a throw in; getting him to move into a better position.

We shpuld have won by more than 1 and maybe if we'd started with an actual forward rather than a midfielder leading the attack we might have done. Like others, I thought Sako was pretty poor. He took his goal well enough but lacked quality when crossing and needs to understand that doing multiple step-overs achieves very little.

Edwards looked good when he came on and I'd like to see him get more game time from the bench.

Glad we're through and I hope for a decent draw in the next round. IF Liverpool turn up tomorrow night we may well be the only West Midlands club left in it.
On reflection (and watching the highlights again) yes, one corner and one free kick were ok

But when we have corners on the opposite side and have players forward, the element of surprise/speed is gone whist we wait for him to get his backside over the wrong side....takes time to get his breath....always always cleans the mud of his right boot twice....then poor delivery....I'd have thought phillips, sako,Morrison,Barry,Leko could (or should) be able to hit dead balls ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #214 on: January 06, 2019, 04:04:04 PM »
Leeds,Norwich and Sheff Utd all out of the F A Cup this result could come back to haunt us.

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #215 on: January 06, 2019, 05:36:11 PM »
Leeds,Norwich and Sheff Utd all out of the F A Cup this result could come back to haunt us.

whilst i for probably the first time ever accept the team selection for yesterday....if we take that attitude football as we know it is dead (or at least for me and my generation)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #216 on: January 06, 2019, 05:56:33 PM »
How many yesterday would start our first 11 (in the position they played and didn't need practice)?

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #217 on: January 06, 2019, 06:31:22 PM »

Having games rearranged could give us the luxury of knowing results in advance depends on your stance. If you don't dream that Albion could win the fa cup that loses half the appeal of football
O Albion we love you

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #218 on: January 06, 2019, 06:35:20 PM »

Moore made 9 changes, the cup run isn’t going to effect the first team because it will always be the second string that plays the cup games

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #219 on: January 06, 2019, 07:19:18 PM »

Why?

Our second string gave a good account of themselves, theirs just didn't.
IMO yesterday's result should improve our confidence in the squad.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #220 on: January 06, 2019, 08:06:46 PM »
Leeds have now lost three on the bounce, form, momentum can quickly disappear.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #221 on: January 07, 2019, 06:44:28 AM »
Why?

Our second string gave a good account of themselves, theirs just didn't.
IMO yesterday's result should improve our confidence in the squad.

The potential for a fixture pile up at the end of the season if we progress well in the cup. It might be the 2nd string playing the cup games at the moment but it would still be the 1st team playing lots of games in quick succession at the end of the season.

I'd also argue that the further we go in the cup the more likely it is that more first teamers will start.