Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 662103 times)

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #725 on: September 15, 2019, 08:05:42 AM »
Unless they kneel down, in which case most keepers would

Needs to come out of the team now,,,for the team and himself

Unfair in my opinion. Let’s wait and see whether Bilic agrees with you.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #726 on: September 15, 2019, 08:43:12 AM »
Or we win 1-0
obviously because he didn’t make those great saves keeping us in it at times
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #727 on: September 15, 2019, 09:10:30 AM »
Unfair in my opinion. Let’s wait and see whether Bilic agrees with you.
Wonder why he brought Al Habsi in?
Watch the goal in slo mo, at no point was his body extended, all the way through the shot he was making himself smaller, horrendous goalkeeping.
Some are pointing out that he made some saves....great, that’s his job
How many clean sheets have we got this season...and if he’s that good why does everyone feel the need to state that he had a good game at derby ....is it just the TV audience because against Blackburn (and others) he’s been very poor

But hey if defending him is people’s choice then that’s up to them, I’d rather we had a proper goalkeeper
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #728 on: September 15, 2019, 09:32:58 AM »
Or we win 1-0
Bet the Fulham fans are thinking exactly like you! now our goal was a keeper error

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #729 on: September 15, 2019, 10:04:31 AM »
Wonder why he brought Al Habsi in?
Watch the goal in slo mo, at no point was his body extended, all the way through the shot he was making himself smaller, horrendous goalkeeping.
Some are pointing out that he made some saves....great, that’s his job
How many clean sheets have we got this season...and if he’s that good why does everyone feel the need to state that he had a good game at derby ....is it just the TV audience because against Blackburn (and others) he’s been very poor

But hey if defending him is people’s choice then that’s up to them, I’d rather we had a proper goalkeeper
pretty sure al habsi is to cover the place vacated by myhill, I’d be amazed to see al habsi make an appearance.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #730 on: September 15, 2019, 10:42:16 AM »
How anybody blames Johnstone for yesterday's goal is beyond me. It didn't happen in slow mo it happened in real time, a shot that was meant to be a cross much like Phillips vs Forest. Totally blameless.

He played well yesterday but that's Johnstone for you he does have those games then next week or the week after he will make some basic howler that costs us a goal.

I was expecting Al Habsi to play yesterday but he didn't and the fact that Bond was on the bench makes me wonder why we brought Al Habsi in. We have Johnstone, Bond, Palmer, Griffiths, House, Cann,it's not as if we're short of goalkeepers on our books. Josh Griffiths is supposed to be the best of the lot potentially. If that's the case he should be second / third choice even at 18.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #731 on: September 15, 2019, 12:31:41 PM »
Anyone care to dare when / if he’s going to keep a clean sheet this season?

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #732 on: September 15, 2019, 12:51:00 PM »
Anyone care to dare when / if he’s going to keep a clean sheet this season?

Or more so, when are the 'team' going to keep a clean sheet?

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #733 on: September 15, 2019, 03:01:50 PM »
I have slated him in the past, but his reactions were good yesterday.
Positioning is not his forte'.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #734 on: September 15, 2019, 04:18:48 PM »
Knockaert's 'shot' was a fluke that just happened to land in the most awkward place. You couldn't fault Johnstone's positioning at that moment.
I think the Fulham keeper made a far greater blunder for our goal.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #735 on: September 15, 2019, 04:31:58 PM »
I saw Sam Make four decent saves yesterday. One a low and late dive to turn away a shot that he made look more difficult than it should have been. Two, a good save at a “nice height” , but a good save nevertheless. Three, the touch over the bar not given as a corner, and four a very good save from a shot from the edge of the box that happened because he had given the ball away with a very poor clearance. I do not feel that he was at particular fault for the goal but have in the past seen such misplaced crosses saved by really good keepers. Sam played some very quick accurate passes out to set up some promising attacking moves, but for me is still nowhere near the ‘safe pair of hands’ I would like to see as our goalkeeper. He seems not able to inspire confidence, nor organise his defenders. I try to be fair with any criticism but I do not see any improvement during his time here and I feel we should be looking at better.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #736 on: September 15, 2019, 07:41:05 PM »
He made some good saves yesterday, but I can’t help but feel there are lots of basic shortfalls in his game. Not sure how tall he is, but he doesn’t look imposing. Yesterday’s goal was a fluke, but Sam’s footwork was terrible, and his leap was sideways rather than upward, so he ended up lower than his start position, so was never going to get near it.

Lukeb

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #737 on: September 16, 2019, 01:59:52 AM »
How the **** anyone can complain about Johnstone v Fulham is beyond me. Kept us in the game.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #738 on: September 16, 2019, 06:45:03 AM »
I have given up responding to the Johnstone knockers, they will always jump on any error, any goal regardless of how it came about.
Ill say this just once more, he is not perfect, but he is a decent keeper at our level and deserves his place in the team.
Baggie in Southampton

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #739 on: September 16, 2019, 07:46:13 AM »
Not sure you can blame him for the their goal.  It was a fluke.

My argument with Johnstone is that he makes errors in every game that often result in a goal.  Its mainly his decision making and kicking.  He puts his defenders in trouble and I'm sure they are nervous because of this.

Foster had mistakes in him at the same age.  They got fewer the older he got so lets hope he grows out of them.  He would help himself greatly though if he cut out the silly idea of peeing around with it at the back.

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #740 on: September 16, 2019, 08:30:37 AM »
I have given up responding to the Johnstone knockers, they will always jump on any error, any goal regardless of how it came about.
Ill say this just once more, he is not perfect, but he is a decent keeper at our level and deserves his place in the team.

Spot on. I didn't open this thread deliberately as I knew he would be getting pelters despite a good game.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #741 on: September 16, 2019, 10:18:01 AM »
That's the thing I guess, our expectations have been adjusted.  I saw the game Saturday and Johnstone didn't have a *bad* game, but I don't think he had a *good* game either.  The saves he made are saves I'd expect most keepers to make really.

I still think he's positioning for the goal wasn't great.  He never shifted position as the ball was played back to the Fulham player.   Yeah, the ball dropping in the net was a fluke, but that ball in would have caused him all sorts of trouble due to him starting too near post.  Anybody backpost would have had an open goal. 

Put it this way, if it had dropped a bit further out, he wasn't ever claiming that ball.  It was the pattern throughout, too often he was rooted to the line and I don't think he came for a single cross all game.

So while I don't think it's a keeper error, he never really gave himself much of a chance of making a save.  Or indeed, catching the ball if the cross had been slightly better.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #742 on: September 16, 2019, 07:17:46 PM »
I didn't blame him for the goal on Saturday but watching replays he does crumble away, doesn't look right. I thought his performance was average at best. Kept busy, several saves all fairly ordinary. One of which came from his own mistake giving the ball away. I was concerned late on when a ball came into the six yard box and he was rooted to the line. It took a towering header from Bartley to clear when any keeper worth his salt would have been off his line to claim the ball and take the pressure off.

So far, he's had average games v Reading and Fulham, a good game at Derby and four poor performances, so overall pretty rubbish. Still no sign he's being dropped any time soon through. Whilst results generally are going okay I'm presuming Slaven is prepared to stick with him.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #743 on: September 16, 2019, 11:01:11 PM »
His "awareness" needs to be addressed.
His "shot stopping" is as expected of any goalkeeper.
His "command of the area" needs to be enhanced.
His "positioning" needs more mobility.
A bog standard Championship goalkeeper.
He will do, but there is a lot more to come if he is coached correctly.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #744 on: September 16, 2019, 11:04:23 PM »
His "awareness" needs to be addressed.
His "shot stopping" is as expected of any goalkeeper.
His "command of the area" needs to be enhanced.
His "positioning" needs more mobility.
A bog standard Championship goalkeeper.
He will do, but there is a lot more to come if he is coached correctly.
Not sure you are allowed to say these constructive points
It would seem that people get offended by mentioning any fault
For me they can all keep “happy clapping” but when will we get a clean sheet ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #745 on: September 16, 2019, 11:50:30 PM »
When Hegazi comes back and can marshall him.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #746 on: September 17, 2019, 09:48:54 AM »

When we revert back to Pulis Ball? The brilliance of Foster also coincided with are best back line in recent memory and also the most defensive managers in the entire country! Bilic is renown for leaky defences due to the way he sets up his team, to pin the blame on the goalkeeper for a trend of conceding a goal a game is a weak argument.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 09:53:04 AM by BoingFlyer »
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #747 on: September 17, 2019, 01:17:38 PM »

When we revert back to Pulis Ball? The brilliance of Foster also coincided with are best back line in recent memory and also the most defensive managers in the entire country! Bilic is renown for leaky defences due to the way he sets up his team, to pin the blame on the goalkeeper for a trend of conceding a goal a game is a weak argument.
He is the only constant though. We struggled last season, with a different manager and a different back 4, yet same problem.
It would be wrong to blame him entirely but it would also be naive to not consider he is the weak link.
For me he's not commanding enough. A good keeper not only instils confidence in his back 4, he also puts the fear of god in them, to a certain extent anyway. Johnstone just seems disjointed from the rest of the defence; he doesn't organise them, doesn't bollok them and his positioning is questionable.
All of the back 5 have, individually, received plaudits at points this season but not yet as a group and I think this is because we lack a natural leader in there and this exposes Sam, as he is the last line of defence. We either need one of the centre halves to step up and take control or we need a more confident, vocal, experienced keeper.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #748 on: September 18, 2019, 09:58:14 AM »
The season before we bought him he kept 22 clean sheets. So I think there's definitely something in him needing a strong back line in front of him to help with his confidence, or just more simply to just reduce the amount of chances the opposition gets.

I hope that once Hegazi is back and fit we will start to look much more solid and cut out some of the errors. Hegazi could well be the leader the back line needs.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #749 on: September 18, 2019, 10:07:34 AM »
The season before we bought him he kept 22 clean sheets. So I think there's definitely something in him needing a strong back line in front of him to help with his confidence, or just more simply to just reduce the amount of chances the opposition gets.

I hope that once Hegazi is back and fit we will start to look much more solid and cut out some of the errors. Hegazi could well be the leader the back line needs.
Hope so mate, we need the defence to become a solid unit. A good, cohesive, back 4 is better than 4 great, individual defenders.
If we can get that, and a striker in January, we will be nailed on top 6 for me.