Author Topic: The big sports thread  (Read 35000 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: The big sports thread
« Reply #325 on: February 02, 2024, 07:44:14 PM »
Given the changes in the Welsh line-up and a lot of unproven players at this level, this is Scotland's big chance to win in Cardiff for the first time in 22 years....and I expect them to.
It's close but despite the absence of Sexton I take Ireland to edge France tonight and edge the 6 nations title. England - who knows ? The battle they gave South Africa in the World Cup semi shows they have the potential to make things difficult for France/Ireland in a one off game.
So 3 away wins for Ireland, Scotland and England this weekend.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #326 on: February 02, 2024, 08:22:17 PM »
I love the Six Nations more so than football these days it doesn't have the angst of football they are more patriotic and it's more of a team game, a really great game.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #327 on: February 02, 2024, 11:08:33 PM »
Ireland were brilliant tonight, theyle win the 6 nations
With great calm talented youngsters coming through this transiotion year, they were fab tonight

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #328 on: March 09, 2024, 05:26:53 PM »
This is football-related but 777, the people trying to buy Everton, are also the owners of London Lions, the UKs premier basketball club. Both the men and women's teams are having standout years in Europe.

However, London Lions have been served a "First Gazette notice for compulsory strike-off" from Companies House. My understanding is it is due to failing to submit their accounts in time. This is the first step towards liquidation/insolvency of the company. I think it basically means they have 3 months to sort themselves out? Not an expert on this by any means.

Very worrying, and the ramifications for 777's football Investments could prove to be significant

He/him

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #329 on: March 09, 2024, 07:08:36 PM »
Ireland were brilliant tonight, theyle win the 6 nations
With great calm talented youngsters coming through this transiotion year, they were fab tonight
How did that go for them today then?  ;)
England done good there, very good indeed
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #330 on: March 09, 2024, 07:33:47 PM »
Hey Frank, i still think Ireland will win 6 Nations i didnt mention the  triple crown though did i.
Im an England fan always, for all rugby fans irish or english or neutral, that was the best match by far this season, a truly great test match, a great watch

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #331 on: March 09, 2024, 07:47:54 PM »
England were well deserved winners today against Ireland. Expected a loss to be fair.

Should not have been as close as it was though.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #332 on: March 10, 2024, 09:20:56 PM »
I guess I'd better comment on the rugby  ::)
I enjoyed yesterday's two games. England just have that ability to raise their power game when underdogs against the bigger guns. It'll be interesting to see if they can finally maintain a reasonably consistent selection and maintain the performance levels.
Italy are slowly but steadily improving with some younger players breaking through and more strength in depth....they will be scenting blood again in Cardiff next Saturday.

Today's game - Good first half with Wales looking threatening but then totally over powered once the French had brought on their reinforcement power players in the 2nd half. With Italy having the extra days rest and Wales a bit battered from today I fear a 2nd successive home defeat to Italy.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #333 on: April 07, 2024, 10:05:11 AM »
It's nearly Masters week! Hurray, contender for the best week of the year. Who's everyone picking?

As has been the case for the last 12 months, LIV make it difficult to make judgements, with stats hard to come by. Last year however proved you can't discount players on the Saudi backed tour as they have too much experience and quality.

The stand out however is world number 1 Scottie Scheffler. He is 4-1 at many bookies, not seen since Woods' pomp. Almost certain to be top 5 and whoever out shoots him probably wins the masters.

My own picks:

Hideki Matsuyama - You can still get him at 25-1, won the Genesis this year (same as Rahm last year) and with formidable form in his last few events. A former winner who knows how to play Augusta, multiple winners are common.

Xander Schauffele - Got him at 22-1 but may be backed in from that mark. Top 10 finishes in 6 of his last 8 this season and top 5 in 3 of the last 4. His numbers are rivalling Scheffler and his Augusta record is similar to those who then go on to win. The only doubt around him is his seeming inability to get it over the line. It feels liks its coming

I had two anti post bets earlier this season, 80-1 on Sahith Theegala, wanted to back him on debut last year due to his perfect Augusta fit, he ended up with a top 10 and I missed out on an each way pay out. I also took Joaquin Neimann at 50-1, his form on LIV, plus the Euro and Asian tours the last 5 months sees 3 wins (just like Rahm last year) plus a host of top 5 finishes. I think this is the week he gets a major top 10 finish or better, although his odds now being in the 20's make him a skinnier bet.

Havent decided on my last bet.  Possibly former winner Dustin Johnson who has a win in his last 5 events and with odds of between 35-1 to 33-1, it does feel like good value. Patrick Reed can also be nabbed at long odds (circa 80-1), coming into the tournament with some serious form, despite a top 5 last year and being a former winner before that, Shane Lowry is a bit short off the tea but has an improving Augusta record and is hitting form. I'll make the call tomorrow when the bookies start offering the long extended places.

So who are your picks?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 10:08:25 AM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #334 on: April 07, 2024, 12:13:52 PM »
Love golf Baggies but don't follow form but the course is made for Scottie Scheffler game.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #335 on: April 21, 2024, 10:51:14 AM »
London Marathon - every year it inspires me and I do a number of races ranging from 10k-Half Marathons regulars but this year I’ve taken the plunge and entered the ballot for 2025!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #336 on: April 21, 2024, 11:48:24 AM »
London Marathon - every year it inspires me and I do a number of races ranging from 10k-Half Marathons regulars but this year I’ve taken the plunge and entered the ballot for 2025!

Watched a bit of it on the box earlier. Mildly disappointed not to have seen anyone running the course with a full life sized JCB digger on their back. Charity Marathon runners clearly aren't what they were.

Further proof if it were needed that we're becoming a nation of softies. Over to you lad. One full life sized JCB digger on your back and I'm prepared to sponsor you to the tune of one full English Pound.

Can't say fairer than that. I'm sure the rest of the .com community would join me and stand with you in spirit to the tune of a Pound a pop. Come on Lewisant the gauntlet has been laid, show us what you're made of  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #337 on: April 21, 2024, 12:24:35 PM »
I'm in.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #338 on: April 21, 2024, 02:54:10 PM »
That I would like to see. There was a bloke running with a Fridge on his back. If he didn't have any Beers in there I would be extremely disappointed.
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #339 on: April 21, 2024, 05:44:20 PM »
That I would like to see. There was a bloke running with a Fridge on his back. If he didn't have any Beers in there I would be extremely disappointed.

I was going to mention the washing machine guy to Smeth Dan!

You won’t see me doing anything of the sorts! I’ll be racing for my club hoping to do it in a good time, I have enough of getting stuck behind tractors in Cornwall, last thing I wanna do is be that guy on the course  :D

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #340 on: April 22, 2024, 09:38:55 AM »

Same. Hope you get in!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #341 on: April 22, 2024, 01:06:56 PM »
Same. Hope you get in!

Lord Bamford sends his best and is willing to provide both the full sized JCB digger and a full English Pound in sponsorship. You can dooooo it Gaz'  8) .

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #342 on: April 22, 2024, 02:16:37 PM »
Lord Bamford sends his best and is willing to provide both the full sized JCB digger and a full English Pound in sponsorship. You can dooooo it Gaz'  8) .

😂

Well fingers crossed.i get chance to try at least!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #343 on: April 22, 2024, 03:24:56 PM »
Dan in JCB yellow, with a big bucket out front interesting image. :-X
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #344 on: April 22, 2024, 03:40:51 PM »
Dan in JCB yellow, with a big bucket out front interesting image. :-X

You can trust me when I say the only way I'd be doing the London Marathon with a JCB is if I was sat behind the steering wheel. And you really wouldn't want to be there to see that. Carnage  ;D .