Author Topic: 16 Mar 2019 Brentford 0 Albion 1  (Read 33678 times)

Bilston Dan

• Reserve Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2019, 05:00:29 PM »
Good professional performance and a great result. Brentford have been very good at home and it's not an easy place to pick up points from either. It's amazing how much better we look defensively. I thought Hegazi was class today. All we need to do now is get a manager in over the international break and make that final push. I don't think we'll get automatic promotion anymore but it'd be good to finish the season unbeaten!
"I don't get hangovers, I just feel sick and have a headache"

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2019, 05:01:27 PM »
GET IN!

Great result. Not only has Shan won both matches, but kept clean sheets in both. The management team of Moore/Jones proving to have been absolutely awful to have us so far from automatic promotion.

He's had to go extremely negative to get these 2 results, the fans wouldn't have stood for this football all season. I've no qualms with the decision to sack him but these 2 results aren't a pointer to how well or badly he was doing.

Stream was terrible so not got much comment, Gayle unucky with a couple of freekicks, Edwards with an excellent goal, Johnstone with a decent save from their free kick.

Let's get Jokanovic in now and push on to the play-offs.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

maximus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2019, 05:02:10 PM »
What a goal aswell, Hats off too the lad. 2nd half much better controlled midfield. Wind was havoc it seemed. Just shows how confused it must have been under the previous regime. Fair do's to Shan and the team. Brentford are formidable at home.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2019, 05:04:31 PM »

He's had to go extremely negative to get these 2 results, the fans wouldn't have stood for this football all season. I've no qualms with the decision to sack him but these 2 results aren't a pointer to how well or badly he was doing.

Stream was terrible so not got much comment, Gayle unucky with a couple of freekicks, Edwards with an excellent goal, Johnstone with a decent save from their free kick.

Let's get Jokanovic in now and push on to the play-offs.

I wouldn't call a 3-0 win 'negative'...nor would I call 4 goals in two matches negative. If anything against Swansea we were too open at times.

wabooz

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2019, 05:04:48 PM »
Great result. Let's be real though, we haven't played particularly well in either of the 2 games, and have been exceptionally lucky / keeper on form to have 2 clean sheets.

It's no fault of Shan's, but this is still the same team struggling through football matches in my opinion. Great credit to him for playing Edwards and for guiding us to 2 wins though, not a huge amount he can do in such a short space of time.

There have been quite a few games this season where we've won on account of the opposition forwards having a nightmare, and then people claim we are 'solid'.

Still though, Rome wasn't built in a day. Good job everyone and a great win - thrilled for Edwards

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2019, 05:06:15 PM »

I don't like those sort of tactics at home but given Swansea's passing stats and it was the first game since Moore and Jones left just a few days earlier I can understand why Shan set us up that way.

At Brentford today given their home form I think he got it tactically spot on.

It will be interesting to see where we go from here.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2019, 05:06:26 PM »
Fantastic result - 3 points.  Great goal by Edwards.

Snap COYB
SJ kept us in the game in the 1st half but the lads got to grip the midfield in the 2nd half leaving Sam with little to do.
Gayle had two attempts saved again by there keeper, Unlucky.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2019, 05:07:46 PM »
I wouldn't call a 3-0 win 'negative'...nor would I call 4 goals in two matches negative. If anything against Swansea we were too open at times.
Bound to be open really, playing 3 up front, but what a good call to give Edwards a start!

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2019, 05:07:59 PM »
At this stage of the season the style isn't as important it's about the points. Shame Leeds and Sheffield didn't need draw and Norwich only just scraped past Rotherham. Think top spot is well and truly gone we could possibly still knock second.

Points a win. Great goal by Edwards who looks a very handy player who needs a whole season at this level playing regularly to maintain his development. Hats of to Shan who all has been pretty negative with his set up  hasn't been afraid to chop and change it. Anybody who drops Livermore  is always off to a good start in my books.

Onwards and upwards huge derby coming up just as blues have lost their form we need to capitalise
O Albion we love you

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2019, 05:13:25 PM »
Huge 3 points. It's a difficult place to play but we hold on.
Brave decision by Shan to start Edwards and Edwards proves himself with a wonderful goal.
Shan did a good job with 2 win in 2 games, but hopefully we would have our new head coach before next game.
The PRIDE of midlands

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #160 on: March 16, 2019, 05:20:39 PM »
I'm afraid the last two games show why Big Dave had to go, Shan has shown more tactical ability in two games than Big Dave has shown since Christmas.
Baggie in Southampton

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2019, 05:22:44 PM »
Only thing that matters is the points. You can’t draw any longer term conclusions from this game. And there is no long term at the moment, so all we can do is try and stay in it by winning.

Moving Gayle centrally has done nothing for me. Hopefully he will click but JRod looks better in the centre.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #162 on: March 16, 2019, 05:29:04 PM »
I never mentioned the passing today.  :P

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2019, 05:29:35 PM »
An important win. Happy to keep another clean sheet too. Personally, I'd rather we focus on keeping winning and solidify a play off spot rather than stress over automatic.

We're now 10 points off 7th. Good day all round!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #164 on: March 16, 2019, 05:36:54 PM »
An important win. Happy to keep another clean sheet too. Personally, I'd rather we focus on keeping winning and solidify a play off spot rather than stress over automatic.

We're now 10 points off 7th. Good day all round!

Looking at Sheffield United and Leeds fixtures you can't see them dropping 7 more points than we do. They both looked very good earlier.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #165 on: March 16, 2019, 05:38:33 PM »
Full credit to Shan for his work and the results this week. Now use the time we have to land a permanent manager. This lad Edwards looks useful, not just the goal. Goalkeeper did very well again today too.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #166 on: March 16, 2019, 05:39:30 PM »
I'm afraid the last two games show why Big Dave had to go, Shan has shown more tactical ability in two games than Big Dave has shown since Christmas.
Agreed,for me Moore and Jones have cost us automatic with their stubbornness to change failed tactics

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #167 on: March 16, 2019, 05:42:09 PM »
As said, all we can do is keep winning and hope others slip up, form can change quickly, I think Norwich are up now, but Leeds and Sheffield Utd are still catchable if they slip up.
Baggie in Southampton

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #168 on: March 16, 2019, 05:51:36 PM »
Great result. Let's be real though, we haven't played particularly well in either of the 2 games, and have been exceptionally lucky / keeper on form to have 2 clean sheets.

It's no fault of Shan's, but this is still the same team struggling through football matches in my opinion. Great credit to him for playing Edwards and for guiding us to 2 wins though, not a huge amount he can do in such a short space of time.

There have been quite a few games this season where we've won on account of the opposition forwards having a nightmare, and then people claim we are 'solid'.

Still though, Rome wasn't built in a day. Good job everyone and a great win - thrilled for Edwards

I agree, but I would also add that I could see us easily drawing the Swansea game under Moore. It was a bit of a Moore-type performance in terms of defensive leaks but at least we didn't invite pressure on ourselves by stupid passing - so Shan has that going for him so far.

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #169 on: March 16, 2019, 05:51:49 PM »
Durham is very quiet...🤣

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #170 on: March 16, 2019, 06:24:51 PM »
Just on way back on coach
. It was very windy and not conducive to good football but we played better than on Wednesday.From the moment Kyle scored his wonderful goal we were very good at seeing out the game. Just remember Brentford had won 6 consecutive home games - great win

B

Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #171 on: March 16, 2019, 06:32:00 PM »
Shan has already shown more tactical nous in 2 games than Moore did in most of his, and Shan should be nowhere near the running for this job, already looking like the right decision although I'm not surprised in the slightest. Great to see Edwards get a goal.

Side note, Villa looking good for the play offs under the head coach that should have been leading us to the title, again I'm not surprised.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #172 on: March 16, 2019, 06:35:19 PM »
Shan has already shown more tactical nous in 2 games than Moore did in most of his, and Shan should be nowhere near the running for this job, already looking like the right decision although I'm not surprised in the slightest. Great to see Edwards get a goal.

Side note, Villa looking good for the play offs under the head coach that should have been leading us to the title, again I'm not surprised.

Clueless Deano, who can't buy a win without his £40 million midfielder? They're in a purple patch of 4 games. It's not even in their own hands. Got them down for an 8th place finish.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2019, 06:47:09 PM »

Clueless Deano, who can't buy a win without his £40 million midfielder? They're in a purple patch of 4 games. It's not even in their own hands. Got them down for an 8th place finish.

Good up-and-coming head coach who actually understands how to implement an attacking style of play at this level and has proven it at 2 clubs with vastly different resources. Put the master of negativity Pulis to the sword today with ease, something Moore proved to be utterly incapable of.

We had it narrowed down to 2 candidates who both wanted the job in the summer, it was an absolute joke which one they went with.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #174 on: March 16, 2019, 06:52:41 PM »
Good up-and-coming head coach who actually understands how to implement an attacking style of play at this level and has proven it at 2 clubs with vastly different resources. Put the master of negativity Pulis to the sword today with ease, something Moore proved to be utterly incapable of.

We had it narrowed down to 2 candidates who both wanted the job in the summer, it was an absolute joke which one they went with.

Really, because without Grealish he's been running at a point a game, with no cohesive plan, nor was he able to work out how to cope without Jack, Vilers calling for his head. This is with arguably the other best striker in the league. Moore has worked wonders compared to what Smith has done at Villa.