Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 727725 times)

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2775 on: May 30, 2019, 11:28:18 PM »
Mods should lock this topic until end of June as club have informed someone at the BBC that they hope to have coach in place by then  :o
The list was reportedly whittled down to four but has now ballooned up to millions apparently my dog rex got a call to be interviewed on June 8 th.

Sally off corrie new hoss has an interview next Tuesday.

But, when offered a mouldy apple I think he'll say nay.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2776 on: May 30, 2019, 11:30:28 PM »
Smoking Mirrors. Has anyone thought the new manager could still be under contract till the end of June ..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2777 on: May 30, 2019, 11:35:34 PM »
Smoking Mirrors. Has anyone thought the new manager could still be under contract till the end of June ..

Smoking mirrors?? Anyway...

No not unless Labbadia is still under contract.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2778 on: May 31, 2019, 12:04:39 AM »

Smoking mirrors?? Anyway...

No not unless Labbadia is still under contract.

By all accounts he is under contract with Wolsburg until June 30th

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2779 on: May 31, 2019, 12:44:35 AM »
    Thank you!  Watch this space.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2780 on: May 31, 2019, 05:16:56 AM »
    Thank you!  Watch this space.

I think It will be him personally.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2781 on: May 31, 2019, 06:40:45 AM »
Shortlist in football does not seem to mean the same as it does in pretty much any other walk of life. In most companies I have worked for a short list is a group of candidates who have expressed an interest in the role and an initial discussion has taken place which confirms that interest and that the candidate is potentially suitable for the job. The shortlist is then put through a selection process with the intention of hiring the most suitable candidate.

Judging by reports if the shortlist consisted of Jokanovic, Cowley Hughton and Labbadia,

Initial discussions

Jokanovic "Yes I like your job very much but I won't do it for less than £2m a year" Strike 1

Cowley "Yeah and you are a Technical Director Nah mate me my brother see we're old school don't like that idea one little bit" Strike 2

Hughton "Oh really thanks for the call Albion you say blue and white stripes. No it's too soon I think I need more time off" breaks down sobbing Strike 3

Labbadia "Okay I'm looking for a new challenge..."

You see that's not really a shortlist it is 3 thanks but no thanks and a candidadte who might be interested.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2782 on: May 31, 2019, 08:35:49 AM »

Indeed.

Club - Vfl Wolfsburg
Appointed - 17/18 (Feb 20, 2018)
In charge until - 18/19 (Jun 30, 2019)    
points per match - 1.52

It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2783 on: May 31, 2019, 09:15:02 AM »
Indeed.

Club - Vfl Wolfsburg
Appointed - 17/18 (Feb 20, 2018)
In charge until - 18/19 (Jun 30, 2019)    
points per match - 1.52

So why not just pay Wolfburg the last month on his contract and get him in now.
Or is that too easy?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2784 on: May 31, 2019, 09:16:36 AM »
One cautionary note about a foreign manager,
He would arrive at B71 with an extensive re-build job on his hands,

He will have little / no knowledge of the capabilities of young british or lower league british players and this is now where we are doing the majority of our shopping it seems.

He will know very well his former league and maybe other european leagues, BUT, he will have to identify available players, convince them to show an interest in B71, contracts have to be negotiated, they have to move country, adapt to the Championship "style" (as does the manager) and hit the ground running in september.

It seems to me that this process can take 2 seasons to bear fruit (viz Norwich / Hudds) and we have a big financial weight hanging over our heads and a chairman who seems to pull the trigger and think later.

It will be surprising if this works well given our scenario / boards expectations.

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2785 on: May 31, 2019, 09:18:56 AM »

He will have little / no knowledge of the capabilities of young british or lower league british players and this is now where we are doing the majority of our shopping it seems.

He will know very well his former league and maybe other european leagues, BUT, he will have to identify available players, convince them to show an interest in B71, contracts have to be negotiated, they have to move country, adapt to the Championship "style" (as does the manager) and hit the ground running in september.

It seems to me that this process can take 2 seasons to bear fruit (viz Norwich / Hudds) and we have a big financial weight hanging over our heads and a chairman who seems to pull the trigger and think later.

It will be surprising if this works well given our scenario / boards expectations.
I hear what you are saying BUT he will/ would be coming here as an head coach only, massive difference to manager. All he will need to do is identify area's that need improving, thats then over to others to do the leg work for him.
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2786 on: May 31, 2019, 09:20:52 AM »

I agree - keeping us in the middle of the Championship would be a good achievement for next season but will we accept that?

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2787 on: May 31, 2019, 09:27:16 AM »

I agree - keeping us in the middle of the Championship would be a good achievement for next season but will we accept that?

IMO, no i would not accept that. it is only our second season in the championship, we will still have one of the top 8 wage budgets in the division and if we keep some players and make the right additions i still fully expect us to compete.

i would expect a top 8 finish and us to be challenging for the play offs.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2788 on: May 31, 2019, 09:34:49 AM »
IMO, no i would not accept that. it is only our second season in the championship, we will still have one of the top 8 wage budgets in the division and if we keep some players and make the right additions i still fully expect us to compete.

i would expect a top 8 finish and us to be challenging for the play offs.
But, if you look at the players that are likely to stay (how will be on high wages) they aren't likely to put us in a playoff position. The most likely to still be here - Brunt, HRK possibly Livermore plus some of the younger players coming through and cheaper signings from the lower leagues aren't going to be as good as this seasons squad. Added we know that we can't afford the quality of loan signings such as Gayle. How can we expect to be as good next season?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2789 on: May 31, 2019, 09:56:59 AM »
Having a proper manager will be worth 10pts+ but first of all we need to see who gets appointed.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2790 on: May 31, 2019, 09:57:20 AM »
But, if you look at the players that are likely to stay (how will be on high wages) they aren't likely to put us in a playoff position. The most likely to still be here - Brunt, HRK possibly Livermore plus some of the younger players coming through and cheaper signings from the lower leagues aren't going to be as good as this seasons squad. Added we know that we can't afford the quality of loan signings such as Gayle. How can we expect to be as good next season?

I've seen nothing to suggest we can't afford loan signings like Gayle, we just refuse to pay Premier league wages when we are in the championship.
Also why would the signings have to be from lower leagues?
Should we get Labbadia in as new manager he and his staff will have a reasonable idea of players that they could attract from the Bundesliga if not other European leagues.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2791 on: May 31, 2019, 10:00:52 AM »

you seriously think that Dawson, Hegazi, Gibbs, Rodriguez, Phillips, Rondon will all be sold ? when we were first relegated no body came in for Hegazi, Gibbs or Phillips so who is to say that somebody is this year?

morrison and Barry have been released which frees up wages along with loan players sent back. as i say, we will still have one of the bigger wage budgets in the league, yes we have to appoint the right manager and be more clever with our recruitment this season but yes, i still expect us to make suitable replacements and finish in the top 8-10 as a minimum and look to at least challenge for a play off finish.

it will take a squad re-build yes but if we were to give more time to the youngsters, combined with half decent recruitment of more experienced players and we finish around 9th-10th and at times challenged for a play off position then i would consider that as a decent season.

if we struggle and finish bottom third of the table then no that is not acceptable IMO.

this is the most important managerial appointment in years, we HAVE to get it right this time. we may have come out and said we cannot afford gayles 65k wages, but that still does not mean we cant be competitive in the division.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2792 on: May 31, 2019, 10:02:47 AM »
I've seen nothing to suggest we can't afford loan signings like Gayle, we just refuse to pay Premier league wages when we are in the championship.
Also why would the signings have to be from lower leagues?
Should we get Labbadia in as new manager he and his staff will have a reasonable idea of players that they could attract from the Bundesliga if not other European leagues.

Don't loan signings such as Gayle still get their PL wages playing in the Championship? If a manager wants to attract players from other European leagues then their wage demands aren't going to be significantly less than top UK leagues. I think the new manager is going to be shopping at Lidl rather than M&S and has to be given time to develop a squad capable of challenging.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2793 on: May 31, 2019, 10:08:14 AM »
you seriously think that Dawson, Hegazi, Gibbs, Rodriguez, Phillips, Rondon will all be sold ? when we were first relegated no body came in for Hegazi, Gibbs or Phillips so who is to say that somebody is this year?

morrison and Barry have been released which frees up wages along with loan players sent back. as i say, we will still have one of the bigger wage budgets in the league, yes we have to appoint the right manager and be more clever with our recruitment this season but yes, i still expect us to make suitable replacements and finish in the top 8-10 as a minimum and look to at least challenge for a play off finish.

it will take a squad re-build yes but if we were to give more time to the youngsters, combined with half decent recruitment of more experienced players and we finish around 9th-10th and at times challenged for a play off position then i would consider that as a decent season.

if we struggle and finish bottom third of the table then no that is not acceptable IMO.

this is the most important managerial appointment in years, we HAVE to get it right this time. we may have come out and said we cannot afford gayles 65k wages, but that still does not mean we cant be competitive in the division.

I think Hegazi, Dawson and Jrod are possible sales. I agree with you that a midtable/possible playoff challenge is acceptable but think that a new manager needs time to develop the squad for the longer term.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2794 on: May 31, 2019, 10:12:55 AM »
Supporters' club chairman urges West Brom to appoint an experienced manager

Wise words indeed from John, hope the club is listening

Source: https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/05/31/john-homer-west-brom-must-go-with-experience/
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2795 on: May 31, 2019, 10:13:58 AM »
Don't loan signings such as Gayle still get their PL wages playing in the Championship? If a manager wants to attract players from other European leagues then their wage demands aren't going to be significantly less than top UK leagues. I think the new manager is going to be shopping at Lidl rather than M&S and has to be given time to develop a squad capable of challenging.

Loan players wages are often split between the clubs involved.
It's been well documented that players in Germany get wages similar to the Championship.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2796 on: May 31, 2019, 10:19:21 AM »
Loan players wages are often split between the clubs involved.
It's been well documented that players in Germany get wages similar to the Championship.

In which case the manager will need time to sort who they want. I just hope we get the deals sorted very quickly once an appointment has been made!

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2797 on: May 31, 2019, 10:26:10 AM »
Club board and Dowling are seriously becoming a joke, the longer it takes to appoint a head coach. God help the new coach if we ever get one when it comes to transfers with these clowns making decisions.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2798 on: May 31, 2019, 10:56:24 AM »
Supporters' club chairman urges West Brom to appoint an experienced manager

Wise words indeed from John, hope the club is listening

Source: https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/05/31/john-homer-west-brom-must-go-with-experience/
It also hints at how important it is for the new manager and Dowling to recruit well. We can't hand over total control of signings to any manager, there has to be a strategy. I've got no issues with Dowling's work so far but the managerial appointment and the next two windows are hugely important for the club and Dowling.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2799 on: May 31, 2019, 11:03:30 AM »
Our current (DoF) model sounds great provided you have a very good football director so there's a lot riding on Dowling being the right person for this huge summer.

He was at Watford and Forest before so hopefully he provides more of the approach at Watford rather than Forest. Nick Hammond, Terraneo and Terry Burton apparently had a good reputation / pedigree too but we know how all that turned out!

I look at the board at the moment with massive concerns and doubts about whether they will ever get these big decisions right. This is based on the past few years of decision making which involved Jenkins and different football directors since Dan Ashworth.

Even if we get a top head coach/ manager, will he have the team around him to make some quality changes? Time will tell I guess..............
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:18:27 AM by darbolina »